Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th January 2021, 16:58   #211
BHPian

Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Or is it being bashed just by virtue of being a Tata product?
Just for being a Tata. I drive a 60k run Hexa which has never been to a service center for anything other than the regular service. It's ok, they will continue to say stuff without actually owing a Tata and its best to ignore.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 17:15   #212
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Has the extended warranty price come down? I think previously it was above 50K. May be the KM coverage is different? I know Toyota offers option while opting for warranty.
Extended warranty price (for 4th and 5th year) has, in fact, gone up - from INR 40,501 in 2020 to INR 41,895 in 2021!

Interestingly, extended warranty for Endeavour (for 4th and 5th year) costs INR 34,999! Now, why should the "epitome of quality and reliability" that the Fortuner is, demand more for extended warranty, compared to competition?

Last edited by cool_dube : 7th January 2021 at 17:19.
cool_dube is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 17:56   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Extended warranty price (for 4th and 5th year) has, in fact, gone up - from INR 40,501 in 2020 to INR 41,895 in 2021!

Interestingly, extended warranty for Endeavour (for 4th and 5th year) costs INR 34,999! Now, why should the "epitome of quality and reliability" that the Fortuner is, demand more for extended warranty, compared to competition?
The Endeavour warranty was quite steep earlier on. Our 2016 model came with 2 year/1lac KM warranty and I have paid close to 75K for 3rd,4th and 5th year warranty. 34999 sounds great, however appears doesnot come with additional KM coverage(Not sure). For 150000KM prices go upto 46K. From the price sheet of Fortuner I got for older model, I was quoted 53K for extended warranty which has additional 40K KM coverage.
Old 7th January 2021, 17:57   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, why should the "epitome of quality and reliability" that the Fortuner is, demand more for extended warranty, compared to competition?
That is a pretty good question. A very sincere answer from me is - cause they can! And people will pay for it.
But warranty covers you for what-if so while the actual claims maybe less, am sure they exist.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 7th January 2021 at 17:59.
Old 7th January 2021, 19:24   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Dispatches to dealers are planned after 16th from the factory. Currently, depending on the city you book, Dealers are giving an estimated 34-month delivery period.
I booked a 4x4MT in first week of December, 2020. SA told me the vehicle will be delivered and ready for RTO by 16th January. So I think the factory dispatches could be earlier. Asked to upgrade to a 4x4AT however the waiting period is now 2-3 months. MT works fine though, and he is adding floor matting as complimentary. 43,06,960 OTR with extended warranty.
Old 7th January 2021, 19:33   #216
Senior - BHPian

[

Interestingly, extended warranty for Endeavour (for 4th and 5th year) costs INR 34,999! Now, why should the "epitome of quality and reliability" that the Fortuner is, demand more for extended warranty, compared to competition? [/quote]

A brand charges royalty for its own stripes! Toyota has been a reliable steed that ways and having owned different brands of cars from last 25 years, I can vouch that!!

Why do you insurance, same logic for extended warranty too!!
Old 7th January 2021, 20:27   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota and Lexus repairs/ extended warranties are some of the cheapest worldwide. Endeavour was a better product when launched and Ford had priced it closer to LC Prado in markets like Australia instead of competing with Fortuner. But in our market they decided to take heads on with Toyota and launched at a very competitive price. Later on they did corrections on spare part prices, warranties and overall experience. So despite less capable and lower number of dealers, they gave Toyota a good challenge. That’s a reason we see lower warranty prices from Ford. Now, Toyota as a leader could have kept the prices lower but that’s not normally the way leaders operate. I won’t be surprised if Ford increases prices in due course as they are not making enough monies.

Ford messed up 2 ltr launch, instead of having a twin turbo at higher prices, they choose to play the value card. This is where, I think they read our market wrongly. Toyota has done rightly by launching the same product they have elsewhere and even tuning suspension for our roads. How good is that effort, we will know in a while though.

Toyota is a leader as far as SUVs are concerned and that’s for a reason, the people who find MG or Mahindra better due to lower prices can have their own reasons. FORD is the one who give serious competition to Toyota everywhere, including US where F-150 is largest selling truck. As far as our market is concerned, I found the endeavour in its current form, underwhelming. But that’s just me and I can be totally wrong.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 20:41   #218
Senior - BHPian

Cars have started arriving at dealership. Finally some real life pics. Buttons for seat cooling function can be clearly seen. Also the Chamois is same color as previous model.

https://forum.autocarindia.com/topic...-a-close-look/
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 21:09   #219
Senior - BHPian

Reasons why the FORTUNER will sell more than its competitors even after the price hike:-

1. It’s a Fortuner! The brand name is enough to pull people towards it. We have seen it with the Innova and the Fortuner has just cemented it’s position as well.

2. Improved features list; ventilated seats, JBL speakers, additional off-road kit, tyre alignment before starting, new Normal and Sports mode with variable steering, Android Auto Apple CarPlay, wireless charging and a suspension re-tune. Pre-facelift didn’t have any of this.

3. No replacement for displacement! 2.8L engine punching out 204Hp and 500Nm of torque, the SE just needs to whisper 500Nm and people will run towards it! Not to forget the performance has improved significantly.

4. Resale Value is strong for older Fortuners, lots of people who had the 2012-2015 MY Fortuners will be upgrading, just like how 2009-2011 MY owners went for the pre-facelifted 2016-2020 one.

5. I see little competition, Alturas is in ICU looks like it will most likely be discontinued, Endeavour has a 2L single turbo (3.2L was its selling point) now Fortuner’s 500Nm will be the selling point. Gloster is VFM but saw a video of it in the snow and it was royally stuck! Both Fortuner and Endeavour can handle those conditions better. Gloster also has the highest power at 218Hp but it has serious amounts of lag lower in the rev-range.

As a complete package I think till 2L the price increase is worth it but 3L is a bit too high but the Fortuner will still sell. Had a chat with my SE and he said demand is exceptionally strong! Initial bookings are majorly for the 4X4s and Legender later on like always it will settle down to 4X2s.

Also not to forget Toyota has added those increased input costs which other manufacturers have mentioned separately in the price hike for the facelift itself.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 7th January 2021 at 21:25.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 21:43   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Cars have started arriving at dealership. Finally some real life pics. Buttons for seat cooling function can be clearly seen. Also the Chamois is same color as previous model.

https://forum.autocarindia.com/topic...-a-close-look/
That is very interesting, I thought they were to start the deliveries after 19th. But good, if early.
getsurya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 22:49   #221
Senior - BHPian

Technical details on changes- no mention of VFC, though it's mentioned in brochure.Bigger turbo, retuned transmission, softer suspension tuned specifically for India. I hope these don't ruin good bits of previous generation. While omission of 4x4 on Legender was expected to keep price low, surprised that 11 speaker system is not there.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-appeal-419568
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 01:02   #222
BHPian

Default Re: Fortuner facelift and Legender price-list for Bangalore

Quote:
Here is the price list in Bangalore:
Here I have the on-road price list for Lucknow and I see a big difference (Rs 24k) in the extended 4th & 5th year warranty when compared to 41k in your list for Bengaluru. Should it be so or am I missing something here?
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-screenshot-20210108-12.57.00-am.png  

Old 8th January 2021, 03:16   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
For the guys who find Toyota prices high, a member posted UAE prices, my suggestion will be to use that as a base and add 48% GST that goes to the government.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4971119 (2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs)

In fact, Toyota is selling cheapest of all the countries if we remove GST.
Precisely. Australia has 10% GST and total around 13% tax on a new car. If you remove GST, the pricing would be cheaper than it is in Australia which it should be, given our purchasing parity.

As for Toyota's "greed", there is no SUV in India, German or otherwise, Monocoque or Ladder frame which can last even close to as long as a Toyota can. Which other car can you still sell for 6 lakhs after doing close to 400k kilometers? Germans arent a competition. People who have a expensive German cars for show invariable have a Fortuner/Innova to do the driving duties reliably day after day. If they are indeed greedy, why not priced it at 50 lakhs? Why stop at just 29?

For prices doubling since launch, it has more to do with Indian currency devaluing, promises of the current dispensation notwithstanding, than simple price increases.
extreme_torque is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:23   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post

However good looking the A4 is, it can't stand the imposing road presence of fortuner. In snob value also fortuner is no inferior.

One is a FWD and the other is AWD with decent off reading capabilities.

Fortuner is lot more spacious and can seat more people if that matters.
It's like comparing Apples and Oranges actually, the one in the market for an apple won't be considering any variant of the orange irrespective of all the extra stuff it offers.

Most people who buy an A4 are not looking for the off reading capabilities or seating capacities that the Fortuner offers, they are in the market for a luxury sedan with premium badge that drives in a smooth and refined manner. And Vice Versa, the same applies for perspective owners of the Fortuner.

So it's fair to compare the fortuner to cars that claim to provide similar features like the Endeavor, Gloster, Alturas etc.

Last edited by armaan_singh : 8th January 2021 at 08:30.
Old 8th January 2021, 08:42   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Precisely. Australia has 10% GST and total around 13% tax on a new car. If you remove GST, the pricing would be cheaper than it is in Australia which it should be, given our purchasing parity.

As for Toyota's "greed", there is no SUV in India, German or otherwise, Monocoque or Ladder frame which can last even close to as long as a Toyota can. Which other car can you still sell for 6 lakhs after doing close to 400k kilometers? Germans arent a competition. People who have a expensive German cars for show invariable have a Fortuner/Innova to do the driving duties reliably day after day. If they are indeed greedy, why not priced it at 50 lakhs? Why stop at just 29?

For prices doubling since launch, it has more to do with Indian currency devaluing, promises of the current dispensation notwithstanding, than simple price increases.
Very well captured!!

Toyota not just in India, world over is known for its quality and reliability.

Indian archaic tax laws bleed us from the nose, as tax payers. This is no different. We haven't protected our currency from independence time and have thoroughly devaluated it over decades. Purchase parity should be compared with consistent parameters.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed