Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 10:56   #511
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
There was some discussion on the topic of needing to run in 4WD mode for 16Km each month but no conclusion on how to deal with this for those whose primary drive is in the city.

How would one manage with a 4WD if the use case is primarily in the city (2WD) and only occasionally (say few times an year) in 4WD. Is there a recommended procedure to keep the 4WD drivetrain well maintained ?
I am no expert but as pointed out earlier by Bhpian cool_dube, it is a bit of an exaggerated requirement put forth by Toyota. 16 Km of off-road driving is difficult even for an off-roading enthusiast. My guess is a little drive on a low traction surface once in a while will keep the front axles in good condition.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:40   #512
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Hi,
There was some discussion on the topic of needing to run in 4WD mode for 16Km each month but no conclusion on how to deal with this for those whose primary drive is in the city.

How would one manage with a 4WD if the use case is primarily in the city (2WD) and only occasionally (say few times an year) in 4WD. Is there a recommended procedure to keep the 4WD drivetrain well maintained ?

Thanks.
As a user of part-time 4 wheel drive vehicles since 2008, I think I can answer it. The only purpose to put any 4 wheel drive vehicle in 4wd mode once in a month is to lubricate the various component of the system. If you do not use it on regular basis, the best thing is to put your vehicle in 4 wheel drive and drive slowly for 100 metres abd few metres in reverse to ensure proper lubrication. You can do this this twice a month if you want. The idea behind this excercise is to properly lubricate the entire system and avoid any jamming of gears due to non-usage for long time. Also, I will never advice anybody to put 4wd on hard high traction surfaces, however driving in 4wd for few metres in straight line will not going to wreck havoc on the 4wd system.

I am yet to put my car in 4wd, but its just 4 days old
Slushmaster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 18:24   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Hey, thanks for the reminder.
I have asked my dealership as well to garnish details on this requirement if possible. But one thing is for sure, the research I did for such part time 4WD vehicles mandates such a process. I am going to search for some roads in vicinity to complete this requirement since

Maybe an off-road centre in vicinity, but need to search for something concrete.
Keep the suggestions flowing though.
gamingstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 22:11   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingstein View Post
After having driven 4wd vehicles for almost 2 decades now, I can assure you that you need not lose sleep over this matter. Just drive the vehicle on any gravel/kucha road in 4H/4L once every fortnight or so for 5-10 minutes, and you should be good

Last edited by cool_dube : 17th February 2021 at 22:13.
cool_dube is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 22:16   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but need to search for something concrete.
That's exactly what you don't want when trying to test 4wd

Like cool_dube above said, any kaccha road would do.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 00:11   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That's exactly what you don't want when trying to test 4wd

Like cool_dube above said, any kaccha road would do.
LOL, I meant something substantial and not the concrete roads itself

But thank you for the alert!

Also, here is another review of the 2021 Fortuner from Australia - (still awaiting an official one in India though)

On a separate note, I came across this article about next gen Endeavour launch in 2022; maybe worth the wait for Endy prospects here

https://www.indiacarnews.com/news/ne...in-2022-44510/
gamingstein is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 08:37   #517
BHPian

My monthly running is low and the current fortuner will complete 10 years soon.
If wishes were true, hoping Toyota had higher power specs Petrol 4x4 offer too. Would have bought it right-away.
The price difference of Petrol and Diesel and my kind of running would have equalled in 7-8 years.

Last edited by roadjourno : 18th February 2021 at 08:45.
roadjourno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 09:25   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Hoping Toyota had higher power specs Petrol 4x4 offer too.
Toyota only has one option to solve this problem ie. 4L petrol V6 Fortuner, the 2.7L petrol is highly underpowered for the Fortuner and 2.8L diesel makes double the torque as compared to the 2.7L petrol. But a V6 petrol will not be bought by anyone due to it's eye-watering fuel economy, V6 4X4 Prado which was launched in India in 2006 is a case in point, in 2009 they had to launch a diesel!

The petrol 4X2 Fortuner sells in very limited numbers except Delhi-NCR, in other cities dealers once take a booking will not refund your booking amount because 1. The waiting period is 6-9 months, 2. If someone cancels the petrol model after it has reached the dealer the demand is very low that the car will lie idle at the dealer's yard itself.

Hence dealers always dissuade from picking up a petrol Fortuner. In India even now demand is for diesel SUVs because while off-roading torque is required and resale value for a diesel is much more!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 09:45   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Earlier models of the Fortuner would come with a fulltime 4wd variant where there was no 4x2 at all, only 4x4 high and low.

There was no maintenance required. Just don't drive in high unless you're on loose slushy terrain. Will ruin your drivetrain/
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 10:51   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
If wishes were true, hoping Toyota had higher power specs Petrol 4x4 offer too. Would have bought it right-away.
I'm in the same boat. Had a petrol engine with sufficient power (and ideally 4x4) been available, I would have picked it up without much of a thought.

Having a car for which you're spending this kind of money being made unavailable to you after 10 years (NCR) is quite a bummer. Especially when one of the manufacturers USP is bullet proof reliability over the long term.
GNG19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:33   #521
Senior - BHPian

Sharing few pictures after detailing at home

Love the finish on Alloys. Similar to one offered in Lexus. Among those diamond cut one's this one stands out. Looks better with darker shade.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img_20210214_174959.jpg

Side by side shot with Endeavour. I can't decide on which looks better.
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img_20210214_174937.jpg
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img_20210214_174917.jpg

Lastly close shot of grille with accents.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img_20210214_083204.jpg
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img_20210214_083159.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:45   #522
Senior - BHPian

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender review by Overdrive : Link

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-smartselect_20210218144400_chrome.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-smartselect_20210218144353_chrome.jpg

Quote:
Verdict
The powertrain and its performance, and the excellent ride quality that this platform has to offer, is common to the Fortuner and the Legender. If anything, the Fortuner's 4x4 drivetrain and the off-road equipment makes it a lot more versatile and value for money in my book. The Legender's refined poise over the regular Fortuner is down to its exterior styling and few additional features inside the cabin. While there is nothing life-changing about either of it, there is no denying that the Lexus hints up its premium quotient and that is bound to appeal to many out there who want this Fortuner to do what its best at - cast a powerful image of you that massages your ego.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 16:11   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar’s review is up as well.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-632378b4b7fe4f869f97eb69179681e4.jpeg

Quote:
The updates to the engine have also made the new Fortuner faster against the clock. It now takes just 11.2 seconds to get to 100kph, which makes it the fastest SUV in the segment, even marginally quicker than the more powerful MG Gloster. And with its stronger bottom end, the new Fortuner is even a second quicker than the earlier one in the 20-80kph sprint. So, all in all, more refinement and more performance.

Small alterations to the suspension setup also mean it feels a bit more supple. Ride and handling however haven’t changed all that much. The body on frame setup and big wheels mean the ride is always busy. There’s always a small amount of movement even when the road surface isn’t too bad, and that means you aren’t as comfortable as you could have been. The Fortuner’s steering is also still a bit heavy at low speeds, and then of course it rolls in corners.

Where it is particularly good however is over really rough patches and unmade sections. Come upon a broken section and the Fortuner is exactly the sort of car you need. You can just power over the road without giving it a second thought. Almost nothing fazes the Fortuner. And that’s the real appeal of an SUV like this.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-419963

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 18th February 2021 at 16:19.
Old 18th February 2021, 16:51   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, here is another review of the 2021 Fortuner from Australia
A crisp and unbiased review. He clearly calls out the edge lost by the Fortuner by giving up on the full-time 4wd system (nothing to do with the facelift, per se), as opposed to Everest and Pajero Sport. I quite like the way he sums up the Fortuner - an off-roader that is an SUV, as opposed to an SUV that is an off-roader! Very aptly put.

Quote:
On a separate note, I came across this article about next gen Endeavour launch in 2022; maybe worth the wait for Endy prospects here
I'd take that with a pinch of salt! Current generation of the Everest/Endeavour has been around for 5 years only, and it might be a few more years before we see the next generation.

Last edited by cool_dube : 18th February 2021 at 16:55.
Old 18th February 2021, 19:12   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe an off-road centre in vicinity, but need to search for something concrete.
You are most welcome to visit us in Bangalore where there are plenty of such roads which lend themselves to a 4X4 drive. And best of all you don't have to search for them. There are plenty everywhere. Case in point Koramangala 80 feet "road".
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed