Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 22:35   #556
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Hi All,

Today I visited Nandi Toyota for having a look at the beast and book if feasible. What I learnt is that they can deliver the car in 2 months time from the date of booking. Though they didn't have a test vehicle for the trim of my choice, they would be visiting my place tomorrow with the TD vehicle.

The insurance quoted by them is an atrocious 1.4L (luxury cover) and they are charging 15k additional for the white pearl crystalline color. Can any one please vouch that that's the case? TIA
Old 26th February 2021, 22:57   #557
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgogold View Post
and they are charging 15k additional for the white pearl crystalline color. Can any one please vouch that that's the case? TIA
Yes Toyota has been charging a premium for the white pearl colour since a long time.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 00:14   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgogold View Post
The insurance quoted by them is an atrocious 1.4L (luxury cover) and they are charging 15k additional for the white pearl crystalline color. Can any one please vouch that that's the case? TIA
Yes this sounds correct; for my vehicle I paid ~1.57 lacs on insurance and additional 17k (ex-showroom) on pearl white.
gamingstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 00:23   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingstein View Post
Additional 17k (ex-showroom) on pearl white.
I think it’s fixed at 15k, no dealer can charge extra! Even ex-showroom price in the official price-list has a 15k difference between Pearl white and other colours.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 09:33   #560
GTO
Team-BHP Support

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-20210227-08.33.51.jpg

Took the Fortuner out for a long drive. My god, what an engine. It just pulls & pulls & pulls! Amazing driveability, strong punch, very fast and I like the sound too. Owners will forget to engage "sport" mode as there is simply no need for it. The AT gearbox passes my testing. It's smooth & acceptably responsive. Ford took a major step back by dropping the 3.2L, but Toyota has doubled up on the engine + gearbox by making it more powerful! The Fortuner demolishes the Endeavour in performance. I drove the 2.8L AT after a long time and can certainly understand its appeal. The SUV feels tough, really tough, there is the bulletproof reliability, good space, Toyota's after-sales etc. The respect this vehicle gets on the road (especially in white colour) is crazy. More than in any other car, people were giving way to me at roundabouts and on the expressway. Not one time did anyone cut me. The SUV really grows on you and it feels indestructible (in a very macho way). Got a "feel good" factor for sure.

On the downside, the ride is too firm and too busy. You feel each & every thing on city roads. As someone who prioritises ride comfort, this isn't a suspension I'd be able to live with. Even on a flat expressway, the suspension is continuously moving the Fortuner's cabin. The only time it's composed is when the car is standing still at 0 kmph . The steering is also on the heavier side at city speeds which is a bummer. The Legender's 6-speaker sound system is terrible. It suits a 10-lakh rupee car, and certainly not one costing 45 lakhs on the road. There is also loads of missing equipment that we have now come to expect after spending 40 big ones - a sunroof, adjustable lumbar support, front camera etc. The SUV has heavy body roll & things can get crazy in high speed corners, so go easy on the curves.

I would still buy the Endeavour over the Fortuner. As a total "engine" guy, this is one of the rare times I'm choosing a car with the inferior engine. The Fortuner is superior under the hood, but the Endeavour owns it in most other areas, including the ones that are important to me like ride comfort, friendly steering, interiors, features + sound system etc. While the Fortuner is handsome, I prefer the American's styling.

Life is good. Major construction work going on in the building, so all cars are temporarily parked on one side. What would you drive on the weekend? The new Fortuner or a 2.0L turbo-petrol or a 6-cylinder diesel or a hardcore 4x4? And the M340i isn't even in this picture yet! At the same time, Crazy_Driver & Chetan_Rao are testing the A-Class sedan in Goa:
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-20210227-08.49.22.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2021 at 09:36.
GTO is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 15:40   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I think it’s fixed at 15k, no dealer can charge extra! Even ex-showroom price in the official price-list has a 15k difference between Pearl white and other colours.
Oh yes, my bad! I was sure that the 4x4 AT costed exactly the same as the Legender when opting for Pearl White but thought the difference is 17k instead.

Have checked and confirmed - 15k on the ex-showroom is charged.
gamingstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 17:43   #562
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Attachment 2126325

Took the Fortuner out for a long drive. My god, what an engine. It just pulls & pulls & pulls!

Just the music for any motorhead's ears. I think this gen Fortuner might be the last of a dying breed of high displacement ICE engines. By the time the next gen of Fortuner starts to roll in, hybrids/full EVs would be the way to go. Eagerly waiting for the full review.
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 19:02   #563
BHPian

Thought I'd update the group!

Took delivery of my Fortuner on Thursday. 4 x 4 AT.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img_20210225_175711-1.jpg  

shivs2003 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 20:14   #564
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivs2003 View Post

I let out a silent whistle looking at the pic. The black Fortuner, especially with black alloys, is something else. Congrats buddy, excellent choice. Do let us know if you got any accessories fit, and how is the ownership experience.
Kln is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 13:14   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivs2003 View Post

Awesome, welcome to the gang!! Gangsta looks, for sure!! What are the accessories done and any customization planned?
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 15:06   #566
BHPian

Congratulations to all new owners of Fortuner/Legender. Best wishes.

Slightly OT, came across this mod on internet, wondering what would be the effect on ride quality (since GTO already mentioned it to be firm).

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-20210228_150032.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-20210228_150015.jpg

Looks horrible IMO

Source: Cartoq
TwerkyC0ffee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 15:45   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post

Looks horrible IMO
I know looks are subjective and all but this one looks like taken straight from the wheels of a bullock cart

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-images-4.jpeg
nagr22 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 20:40   #568
Senior - BHPian

Made a weekend trip to Bangalore covering close to 800KM in 2days. Since the car had clocked 2K KM, used all modes liberally. Fortuner masks speed extremely well. I was checking with my family on what speed I was doing, and their guess was always 20KM/HR lower than what the car was doing. I did speeds which cannot be mentioned here, car feels rock steady and easily hits silly speeds. Endeavour 2.2 is decent in 4 lane highway, though speed/power starts tapering after hitting 3 digit mark. At these speeds hydraulic steering is joy to use. W.R.TO ride both have their positives, on a road like say Sakleshpur-Hassan I would prefer Endeavour, which absorbs bad patches very well and need not slow down. In Fortuner you don't here a thud but you can feel the road and gets unsettled, does get better beyond 60 KM/Hr and is also is ok below 20KM/Hr. At speed 20-50KM/Hr it's lumpy. It's a role reversal from Hassan-Bangalore, in Endeavour you can feel the softer suspension, and there is wee bit sideways movement, the Fortuner on the other hand is rock steady, thanks to stiff suspension.
Overall got fuel efficiency of 11KMPL which included about 75KM drive withing city, 2 hour block at Sakleshpur. Onward journey I did some good speeds too. With 3.2 Endeavour gone, if you like spending time in driver's seat, Fortuner it has to be.

Few other aspects in comparison to Endeavour

1. At highest setting, front seats of Endeavour feels a bit higher.
2. Rear seat base is wider in Fortuner by an inch or two.
3. Underthigh support is better in Endeavour for front seat and Fortuner wins when it comes to back seat.
4. Visually Endeavour's leather wrap on top of dash looks nice, however useability/implementation is better in Fortuner. Leather is there at touch points and is softer. I now miss the leather at center console in Endeavour, one in fortuner provides good comfort to your knees.
5. Feature wise it's a battle now, Endeavour has wow features(read sunroof, park assist, electric seats) and Fortuner has more useable ones(ventilated seats, paddles, auto start/stop). Pick your preference, with Gloster I think both are not in top anymore w.r.to features.

One other point I would like to highlight is AC. Along with Ventilated seats, I could not get AC below 24.5C, it feels cold inside.
PrideRed is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 22:30   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Made a weekend trip to Bangalore covering close to 800KM in 2days. .
Thanks for the update. Appreciate your unbiased and a practical view of the both cars/SUVs. It's already tough parting away from my 10+ years innova, and this new car decision has been following roller coaster ride. However your mention of wow factor vis a vis usable ones is exactly echoing my perspective which dwell into usability , together with the Toyota trust which is not easy to forget considering my decade old experience.
Hope ride comfort which @GTO also highlighted is not that deal breaker? Not sure if high tyre pressure being concern there for alarming notice. Definitely not to the level of innova, but pls share your view. Getting new fortuner 4X4 AT on 10march I.e. my anniversary/daughter birthday.

Last edited by abhi1881 : 28th February 2021 at 22:35.
abhi1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 08:04   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881 View Post
Thanks for the update. Appreciate your unbiased and a practical view of the both cars/SUVs. It's already tough parting away from my 10+ years innova, and this new car decision has been following roller coaster ride. However your mention of wow factor vis a vis usable ones is exactly echoing my perspective which dwell into usability , together with the Toyota trust which is not easy to forget considering my decade old experience.
Hope ride comfort which @GTO also highlighted is not that deal breaker? Not sure if high tyre pressure being concern there for alarming notice. Definitely not to the level of innova, but pls share your view. Getting new fortuner 4X4 AT on 10march I.e. my anniversary/daughter birthday.
Ride is not as composed as Innova for sure. I have a Crysta too, and if Comfort is utmost importance, all in family prefer Crysta, the bucket seats at the back are fantastic. You sit lower but not as low as say a crossover or sedan.
I test drove 2020 Endeavour for about 20KM recently and suspension has got softer than my 2016 Endeavour. It absorbs bad patches/potholes very well, on the downside even while doing U turn car would have lot of sideways movement. Engine has decent power though nothing close to sepcial. If you are used to Body on Frame cars, you will find new fortuner's ride acceptable. The more you drive, the more you get used to Fortuner suspension setup.
Ford has downgraded engine and deleted some features while Toyota has beefed up engine and added features. Reliability, resale, A.S.S aside, both cars are neck to neck now, select a car based on your preference, you won't go wrong with either.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed