Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 13:12   #151
BHPian

re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

And I thought my friends are greedy
Some expected this brand to bring in RAV4 at harrier pricing, rest assured the RAV4 whenever launched in India would go head on with Mercedes GLS

(Toyota waalo thodi toh Sharam Karo)

P.S. No offence meant.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:13   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Based on these new prices, what will be the impact on older generation Fortuners. Will the resale value (a) increase (b) decrease ?
Oh, increase for sure!
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:36   #153
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Thats some serious amount of money!

Here is the price conversion of GCC (Saudi Arabia) spec Fortuner below for comparison:

Attachment 2103467
I used to think that the prices in Gulf countries would be half or even less due to much lesser taxes. Are these on-road prices ? What about Ford Endeavour prices for comparison ?

At this price level, Fortuner will cost close to A4/C/3-series (with decent discounts during festive season and year end)
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:41   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Fortuner has always been an aspirational vehicle for me. And looking at the prices, I feel it'll stay the same.

Anyone has any idea about the efficiency of petrol MT and AT?

The brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf combined-brochure.pdf (1.52 MB, 834 views)
BoneCollector is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:11   #155

I was very optimistic hoping that the 4x4 manual gets the updated torque rating of 500nm, but anyway the bump in features and engine power and torque should definitely justify the increased pricing to all fortuner customers,atleast Toyota loyalists will see value in it. I am amazed as to why Toyota does not keep the feature line up simpler, the legender is pitched as the luxury variant but still it misses out on the jbl 11 speaker system (have confirmed the same in the above brochure and toyota website), Also is a rear usb port a luxury feature that a 45 lakh otr mumbai vehicle doesnt get in the standard variant and you have to buy the legender to get it. Some features that I feel should have been standard in the other non legender car-wireless charging,jbl speaker setup(only the 4x4 get it)rear usb port.But then again if the standard car gets it toyota wouldn’t be able to justify an eye watering 45 lakh price for just a cosmetically updated 4x2 fortuner . But overall i am glad to see Toyota put in some effort in making the car feel fresher and giving some much needed features(although more could have been given) also hoping toyota soon updates the legender with the jbl setup. I am only waiting to test drive the manual to see how the increase in horses actually feels on the road compared to my 2018 4x4 manual
Angad sahani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

This is going to sell no matter what, unlike the endeavour, toyota is constantly adding kit and giving a more features. I'll buy it just for the bigger more powerful engine, tinted glass and ventilated seats. The Legender will make the other variants seem like good value.

Toyota has a winner on its hands, the competition isn't breathing down their necks and won't do so for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th January 2021 at 15:40. Reason: typo
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:39   #157
BHPian

I was checking the Fortuner webpage. I dont think it has Laser guided cruise control, lane Departure Warning. No autonomous driving Level 1 features are available.
Kindly correct me if i am wrong.
Old 6th January 2021, 14:45   #158
BHPian

The Legender variant is usually the top variant in most markets and comes with all the bells and whistles available and in 4x4 variant. I really love the looks of the Legender variant but don't consider it a proper SUV without 4x4 present. I really hope they launch a 4x4 Legender variant will all the bells and whistles

I'm not too shocked on the pricing since it was expected to go up. For anyone looking for a proper 4x4 mechanical SUV with go anywhere capability, the Endeavour and Fortuner are the only options. The Germans are better off as softroaders. Ask anyone how many BMW/Audi/Mercedes SUVs they've seen stranded whenever there is flooding in the metro cities and the answers is more than one can count.
ChargedGarage is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:51   #159
BHPian

I am surprised how one derives the worth of a car and label it as overpriced or well priced. Yesterday almost everyone felt that A4 was well priced and today everyone is feeling Fortuner is overpriced. And yet the top variant of the fortuner undercuts A4 by a good sum. I won't defend legender because I did not understand the product in relation to the fortuner. But can any one enlighten me as to how is A4 more VFM than the regular facelifted fortuner?

I won't talk about the resale value or the discounts. Product to product, Fortuner is any day more reliable, more abuse friendly, lasts longer and is cheaper to maintain.

However good looking the A4 is, it can't stand the imposing road presence of fortuner. In snob value also fortuner is no inferior.

One is a FWD and the other is AWD with decent off reading capabilities.

Fortuner is lot more spacious and can seat more people if that matters.

For me, the higher state of tune, jbl sound system and ventilated seats make the fortuner a near complete package.
DonHyd is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 15:29   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
I am surprised how one derives the worth of a car and label it as overpriced or well priced. Yesterday almost everyone felt that A4 was well priced and today everyone is feeling Fortuner is overpriced. And yet the top variant of the fortuner undercuts A4 by a good sum. I won't defend legender because I did not understand the product in relation to the fortuner. But can any one enlighten me as to how is A4 more VFM than the regular facelifted fortuner?
Your giving it too much thought. The prices are compared with the rest of the segment. If greater it's overpriced and if comparable/less it's well priced.

And even more so, a person buying an A4 is not even going to have a Big Chrome laden Truck like the Fortuner on his mind. Forget comparing it for VFM.
superguy282 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 15:33   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Fortuner has always been an aspirational vehicle for me. And looking at the prices, I feel it'll stay the same.

Anyone has any idea about the efficiency of petrol MT and AT?

The brochure.
The brochure is a bit confusing. I hope it's correct.
The Legender variant has a 6 speaker setup, but the Std Variant gets 11 JBL speaker system. Legender gets a auto dimming mirror, while the std Variant doesn't get (Big lol, a nearly 45L SUV).

Mood lighting, Machined Alloys, Quad LED lamps, Rear USB port and Wireless charger available on Legender, but it misses out on 4WD, HDC, Lockable differential.

Toyota salesman will have a hard time convincing customers why Legender commands a premium over the std variant.

On a related note, Gloster seems a much more better bet now. At 34L, the Sharp 7 seater variant is nearly 5-5.5L cheaper than the Legender variant in terms of OTR prices.

Last edited by 07CR : 6th January 2021 at 15:34.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 16:03   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Good question and even I would like to hear from others. I feel, it is all a mind game, embedded thoughts for several years
Audi, German, Luxury, Sporty Sedan (superior) VS Toyota, Japanese, Rough, SUV, not luxurious (inferior)
German Car (Superior Engineering) Vs Toyota (Slightly inferior Engineering)
Audi is plush, Fortuner is rough
etc., vs etc.,
This is what probably plays in many minds, when ANYONE compares any car and give their feedback, MOST of the views are subjective in nature. Feature to Feature comparison on various parameters, in depth quality of each component on every comparison, not many really does it

So, if I feel Fortuner is worth paying, I will buy, for someone, another German car would look worth. I think this is what comes out when people here share their thoughts on products as well. That is all to it, I guess

Swami
Old 6th January 2021, 16:09   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
I used to think that the prices in Gulf countries would be half or even less due to much lesser taxes. What about Ford Endeavour prices for comparison ?
For cars like Fortuner and Innova, the price difference is around 5-8 Lakhs in INR. But for cars like PRADO and LC, the difference is unbelievable.!
Basically, the Prado starts where Fortuner ends and LC where the Prado ends.

Prado :
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-prado.jpg

Land Cruiser :
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-lc.jpg

Quoting myself below from another thread :
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
A big NO especially if it is purchased new!

And for someone who has been living abroad it is just impossible to digest the huge premium which they command in India!

Just imagine this scenario, I can buy a Land Cruiser Prado here(Saudi) at an equivalent of Indian Rupee ₹29 Lakh.
And what about the mighty full size Land Cruiser ?? I can buy here a brand new one for just under ₹40 Lakhs!
For this amount of money, I won't be able to get even a humble Fortuner in India.

Last edited by kamilharis : 6th January 2021 at 16:35.
kamilharis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 16:16   #164
BHPian

Being a recent owner of one from the last batch of pre-facelift 4*4 MT version, I am relieved that the manual version isn't launched in the higher state of tune, which was my only concern. Our family was not interested in ATs from the start, although in automatics Fortuner now kills the competition with the new power and torque figures. In ATs thought the facelift is a no-brainer to my mind, despite the price hike.

Also, while I truly admire the new feature additions (esp. the ventilated seats and 11 speaker system), given the steep price (4*4 MT version i got for just under 39L in mid-Nov 2020, will now cost ~42.2L OTR) I am relived that we got the version we love in terms of exteriors and interiors looks, over the new one. The feature additions are great but not a deal breaker given the price difference.

While not commenting on whether the Fortuner is overpriced for what's on offer (or what does the competition offers), it will be interesting to see how long can Toyota continue to jack up prices before consumers start giving cold-shoulder to the Fortuner. I just saw on T-BHP review page that 2016 version was launched for 25.92 - 31.12 lakhs (ex-Delhi), which has now increased to 29.98 - 37.58 lakhs (ex-Delhi) - Legender included. That is a sharp increase of ~4-6.5 Lakhs in ex-showroom price in roughly 4 year - so by thumb rule, with every new launch, Fortuner get expensive by atleast 1 lakh . And this is not considering the prices of the previous gen model launched in 2009.
On the Move is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 16:27   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
The brochure is a bit confusing. I hope it's correct.
The Legender variant has a 6 speaker setup, but the Std Variant gets 11 JBL speaker system. Legender gets a auto dimming mirror, while the std Variant doesn't get (Big lol, a nearly 45L SUV).
With so many changes it is confusing. As I see 4x4 AT is the most loaded variant. Legender will be bought only for styling. I feel Legender variant will die after initial hype is over.
All variants get 204Ps engine but MT only torque is limited to 420NM.
Premium music is limited to only 4x4.
Ambient lighting, wireless charger, kick sensor will come only in Legender.
All variants get Limited Slip Differential.
4x2 gets 17inch wheels.
Demand seem to be highest for 4x2 AT. Styling aside, if you want all in one package, I think it should be 4x4 AT. 4x2 AT seem lot of value.

Note: Diesel gets new Power Steering.

Last edited by PrideRed : 6th January 2021 at 16:31.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks