Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 16:36   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Diesel gets Eco, Normal and Sport modes which not only alter engine characteristics but also the weight of the steering wheel.

Petrol continues with Eco and Power mode, no Normal and doesn’t have the new power steering.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 6th January 2021 at 16:37.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 17:15   #167
BHPian

re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

I stand corrected. The MT also receives the power bump to 204 PS. Should get better in driving, with the new sports mode and the changes to the power steering. Had they updated torque figures to 500 Nm, a MT would have been a hoot to drive.

Last edited by On the Move : 6th January 2021 at 17:16. Reason: additional info
On the Move is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 17:19   #168
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Fortuner facelift comparison to its rivals on the price graph.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-20210106_171726.jpg

Source : Autocar India
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 17:20   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Diesel gets Eco, Normal and Sport modes which not only alter engine characteristics but also the weight of the steering wheel.

Petrol continues with Eco and Power mode, no Normal and doesn’t have the new power steering.
Would be interesting to see how different is the new SPORTS mode over the existing POWER mode. The existing POWER mode puts a big smile across your face.

I guess even without separate buttons, the current avatar also has the ECO, POWER and NORMAL (when neither ECO or POWER mode is selected).
Old 6th January 2021, 17:26   #170
BHPian

That pricing is disappointing. Toyota is getting greedy here - knowing there is no worthy competition in 40L price point, and they increased the bar to 50L. Alturas G4, 3.2L Endeavour and Diesel Kodiaq's discontinuation further helped Toyota in this monopoly.

Personally, I am looking at Mahindra to get 70% Fortuner at 50% price (new XUV500)
Zinda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:03   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
I am surprised how one derives the worth of a car and label it as overpriced or well priced. Yesterday almost everyone felt that A4 was well priced and today everyone is feeling Fortuner is overpriced. And yet the top variant of the fortuner undercuts A4 by a good sum.
This is an apple to orange comparison! Toyota is not a premium brand by any means, as opposed to Audi which is, their dismal performance in India notwithstanding.

Please see the pricing and positioning of Fortuner in other markets (Australia, South Africa, Saudi, etc) vs. India - we are being sold the Fortuner at the price of a Prado!!

Quote:
Fortuner is lot more spacious and can seat more people if that matters
So is the Force Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post
Had they updated torque figures to 500 Nm, a MT would have been a hoot to drive.
Not possible, for the same reason as pre-facelift MT being capped at 420 NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Toyota Fortuner facelift comparison to its rivals on the price graph
Endeavour prices are outdated. These were revised earlier today, wherein all variants except the base one were made dearer by INR 35,000

Mods - apologies for back to back posts. Please merge.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th January 2021 at 08:58. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
cool_dube is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:28   #172

Feeling sad for the owners who bought the Fortuner a year ago (including myself) who have to pay the bills for another 5 years ....life can be tough sometimes , but i'll have to live with the fact that I missed out on a refreshed model by one year. Definitely not my day today
Shreyxas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:40   #173
Team-BHP Support

Toyota has played to its strengths. They are aware of the demand in the market and given the limited production they have, it makes sense to maximize profits. Many manufacturers are doing similarly. And to be fair, input costs have increased too.

We can crib about the increase in prices our higher rates/ taxes but I am sure Toyota will be booked full to their capacities for a while. I like the fact that this time, Toyota has not skimmed on the features and given us almost everything that they offer elsewhere on Fortuner. My only grudge is that we should have got the 4x4 in Petrol too and there should be a 4x4 variant model based on the legend.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:27   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This is an apple to orange comparison! Toyota is not a premium brand by any means, as opposed to Audi which is, their dismal performance in India notwithstanding.

Please see the pricing and positioning of Fortuner in other markets (Australia, South Africa, Saudi, etc) vs. India - we are being sold the Fortuner at the price of a Prado!!

So is the Force Traveller
But how does a brand become premium? By offering superior products or just by having expensive products? I am an admirer of better engineering whether it comes from Germany or Japan or S.Korea. And I like A4 for many good things that it is. But still not convinced enough on A4 being head and shoulders above Fortuner as a product overall. Each country has its own requirements and preferences. Pricing in one country cannot be used as a reference to pricing in another country. We cannot force Toyota to sell Prado here for under 50 lakhs. And the Prado is not vastly superior to Fortuner anyway. So, we aren't missing much.
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 21:17   #175
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Toyota Fortuner facelift comparison to its rivals on the price graph.

Attachment 2103624

Source : Autocar India
As someone totally unaware of this segment, can someone please explain why isn't Mahindra Alturas G4 selling like hot cakes, considering it has the lowest price for even 4WD AT? Bad built? Not good enough brand image? Poor service/ reliability?
ValarMorghulis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 21:24   #176
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
As someone totally unaware of this segment, can someone please explain why isn't Mahindra Alturas G4 selling like hot cakes, considering it has the lowest price for even 4WD AT? Bad built? Not good enough brand image? Poor service/ reliability?
Mainly because of Endeavour and Fortuner, these have built strong reputation over years. Alturas is a good effort by Mahindra but lacked charisma of the market leaders. Now with Mahindra ditching Ssangyong, it's a bit risky investing 35lacs.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 21:25   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyxas View Post
Feeling sad for the owners who bought the Fortuner a year ago (including myself) who have to pay the bills for another 5 years ....life can be tough sometimes , but i'll have to live with the fact that I missed out on a refreshed model by one year. Definitely not my day today
On the contrary, I purchased it about 3 months back and I am not too fussed given the price hike for my MT4*4 version. Yes, it has become a lot more contemporary and gets very welcome new additions, but these do come at a cost - in my case it crosses the mental barrier of 40 Lakhs OTR. I guess it will be a personal choice for most, and I respect your feeling. While discussing the same topic with a friend, he casually commented that if I am spending about 39 Lakhs for this, then why not put 3 more and get the refreshed model ).
Old 6th January 2021, 21:48   #178
Senior - BHPian

I think the i20 success story is going to repeat, with Ford (& MG to some extent) reaping benefits of this absurd price hike of the Fortuner, unless other/ latter two don't get carried away with these prices & hike prices of own SUVs too.

Somehow Japanese premium pricing has always helped next best options.

I wish Toyota had kept the prices at least 20% cheaper & let economies of optimal production helped it's revenues & profits. This way there needn't be any role of small cars in its portfolio, & could have gone alone in India than being dependent on Suzuki for sales numbers.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 22:30   #179

Respect your point of view... but have to agree with your friend on that one as we keep our cars for more than 10 years...The Fortuner was my dream car and had been working hard for it..it sucks to see a newer model out after a relatively small timeframe. Cheers mate and hope you enjoy your new beast..many congrats!
Old 6th January 2021, 22:56   #180
Senior - BHPian

I am smelling a 2.4L Fortuner being cooked by Toyota. May be year down the line, they will launch one or 2 variants of cheaper 2.4L model like they did with older Fortuner. With price hike a substantial difference is established with Innova.
More than 60% of Fortuner sales come from 4*2 MT and AT. Both variants are decently loaded and Toyota will be banking heavily on these for numbers. Folks who don't need a hardcore offroader may be better off with Endeavour and save 3-4 lacs.

If I was heading Ford India, would launch twin turbo Endeavour with some more added kit and price it on par with Fortuner 4x4 AT.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks