Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 11:47   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

While there are a lot of discussion on pricing ,feature there are no pointers on how the new car drives, the new steering wheel etc. Heck I cannot find even a good real life pictures from India. Dealers are clueless when they will get a Demo car either.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:27   #197
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
I am surprised how one derives the worth of a car and label it as overpriced or well priced. Yesterday almost everyone felt that A4 was well priced and today everyone is feeling Fortuner is overpriced. And yet the top variant of the fortuner undercuts A4 by a good sum. I won't defend legender because I did not understand the product in relation to the fortuner. But can any one enlighten me as to how is A4 more VFM than the regular facelifted fortuner?
Also apart from being both cars in completely different segments and satisfying completely different needs, everyone who is saying A4 is VFM is taking into considerations the massive lacs of discounts the car will eventually see in a couple of months which will never happen with the Fortuner because of the insane demand the car has in our country.
prateekchanana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:37   #198
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner facelift and Legender price-list for Bangalore

Here is the price list in Bangalore:
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-fortuner.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:23   #199
BHPian

This thread has reminded me of the marketing 101 from my MBA days. specially around the question of What should be the price of a good? And the answer always has been - Whatever the customer is ready to pay for it.

Whether we like it or not, Indian market is ready to pay higher prices for Fortuner and Toyota products in general, mostly due the perceived quality and peace of mind. Features aside, the assurance that what you are buying will give you a hassle free ownership experience is something which commands a premium and Toyota has been wise to bank on it. I foresee that even with the price hikes, Fortuner will remain segment leader and infact sell more that pre-facelift. Fortuner is slowly attaining the status of Veblen goods (demand increases with price) in India - a dream for every company
CoffeeBeans is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:24   #200
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Not in the market for the car but yesterday while going to the stock yard to pick up our new Camry, the salesman must have received atleast 10 calls in a span of 1.5hrs. And these are all his existing customers who have either bought a Innova or Fortuner from them. From his talk, it appeared that most didn't care about the price & only had 2 queries:

1) When can they (customers) see the car
2) When is the earliest delivery possible

With such strong brand value amongst new & existing buyers, its no surprise that Toyota can get away with ludicrous pricing. There can be just no formidable competitors in real life for these two sub-brands, Innova & Fortuner - no amount of whining on the forum is going to make any difference to Toyota
RJK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:34   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
While there are a lot of discussion on pricing ,feature there are no pointers on how the new car drives, the new steering wheel.
Dispatches to dealers are planned after 16th from the factory. Currently, depending on the city you book, Dealers are giving an estimated 3–4-month delivery period. I am not able to fully understand the change they have done to steering feel, though not expecting to be like Endeavour, it will be easier than before. 500 Nm Torque is just 30% less than what big daddy LC200 make with 8 cylinders. I agree to your views that they may produce 2,4 engines later whenever demand for 2,8 taper.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:46   #202
BHPian

A noob question comes to mind, Where will you utilize 50kilos of torque? That too on a vehicle where you sit so high! I own a Tata Harrier and 35kilos in Sports mode feels like more than enough. If it is a sports car, all hunkered down, then sure but you can not drive a SUV like that. Or am i missing something?
Old 7th January 2021, 14:06   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
A noob question comes to mind, Where will you utilize 50kilos of torque? That too on a vehicle where you sit so high! I own a Tata Harrier and 35kilos in Sports mode feels like more than enough. If it is a sports car, all hunkered down, then sure but you can not drive a SUV like that. Or am i missing something?
50 Kilos for a 2.7 tonne Fortuner is just good but nothing outstanding. In relative terms it does look great but end of the day that extra torque we help in maintaing comfortable speeds and might also help FE to certain extent. There is definitely a big benefit while offroading,those extra torque will come handy.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:16   #204
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner and Legender best of both worlds, power and styling - TVC

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:32   #205
Senior - BHPian

Next Toyota Fortuner will be called the "Mirage" edition it will be just that; as go closer to the Fortuner the further it will move away from you price wise. Best would be to buy used or ogle at it and buy something else that will take you to service centers more often like the Harrier...
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:53   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
For the guys who find Toyota prices high, a member posted UAE prices, my suggestion will be to use that as a base and add 48% GST that goes to the government.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4971119 (2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs)

In fact, Toyota is selling cheapest of all the countries if we remove GST.
If we factor out the taxes 170 bhp engine was still overpriced by 5 lakhs as compared to competition. They are definitely making a killing in name of reliability (only).

Also, additional 34 bhp do not warrant a 3 lakhs price increase, unless you claim the hardware cost being recovered, when the gearbox is only new component.
Old 7th January 2021, 15:18   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am not able to fully understand the change they have done to steering feel, though not expecting to be like Endeavour, it will be easier than before.
It will be lighter at city speeds and heavier at highway speeds, the former being a big pain point in pre-facelift version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
Where will you utilize 50kilos of torque?
Good question. This ties back to the ever-elusive point of "how much is enough?" which applies to everything that humankind has ever laid its hands on On a serious note, other than being an advantage during heavy off-road usage, I cannot think of any scenario where the pre-facelift number of 420/450 Nm would have lacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
buy something else that will take you to service centers more often like the Harrier...
I would refrain from making such sweeping remarks unless backed by factual data. Are we seeing any major technical issues with the Harrier? Or is it being bashed just by virtue of being a Tata product?

Last edited by cool_dube : 7th January 2021 at 15:23.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 15:25   #208
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking what if the top one cost 10 lakhs cheaper. Same set of people will keep buying and same set of non-buyers will keep complaining (me included ).

Some category of cars will be out of reach for lot of people in this country. There are people to whom it might not matter much.
Old 7th January 2021, 16:00   #209
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner has become a cult in India. When the 3.2 Endeavour (with all that it had to offer) couldn't kill it I wonder if there would ever be any SUV in the next 5-10 years that can ever overtake the Fortuner, both in sales and its cult status.

My only hopes are Jeep or Kia, otherwise Fortuner will go on to become the next LandCruiser where its not about the money anymore.

I think Toyota is THE example of how a brand should establish itself. Remember when Fortuner sold for 18.99 (or was it 17.99) around 11-12 years back, or that Innova which the owner bought for 8 lakhs and then sold it for 8 lakhs 10+ years later!
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 16:37   #210
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fortuner facelift and Legender price-list for Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Here is the price list in Bangalore:
Has the extended warranty price come down? I think previously it was above 50K. May be the KM coverage is different? I know Toyota offers option while opting for warranty.

Last edited by PrideRed : 7th January 2021 at 16:39.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks