Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 12:08   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
1. Vs safari - fortuner was better ride quality by atleast 20%
Now this is interesting, for sure! If this is true, then Toyota has done wonders with the suspension setup on the Fortuner OR Tata has really messed Safari's suspension up

Quote:
2. Vs previous fortuner - marked difference in pitching and bouncing. While the earlier version was pitching and bouncing with the smallest undulation, this one remained very well planted.
When you say "previous" Fortuner, are you referring to the pre-facelift or previous gen (stopped in 2016)?

Quote:
Endeavour is in muddy waters from now after the m&m ford alliance breakdown. I fear if they don't find a partner they could potentially to the Chevrolet way. Engine despite the superb gear box is not a match for fortuner
I'd not write the Endeavour off just on the basis of Ford India's future in the country. As far as I can see, they are here to stay! Of course, the down-sized engine will be a deal-breaker for many, as it is for me.

Quote:
safari gearbox performance is comparable but fortuner feels more powerful
In my humble opinion, this is not a fair comparison at all since both of these vehicles are in altogether different segments.

Last edited by cool_dube : 8th February 2021 at 12:10.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 12:18   #467
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Now this is interesting, for sure! If this is true, then Toyota has done wonders with the suspension setup on the Fortuner OR Tata has really messed Safari's suspension up
- I dont think Safari has a messed suspension at all. Just that Fortuner seems to have done a fabulous job

Quote:
When you say "previous" Fortuner, are you referring to the pre-facelift or previous gen (stopped in 2016)?
- The last time I test drive Fortuner was in late 2018-early 2019. So whichever version that is

Quote:
I'd not write the Endeavour off just on the basis of Ford India's future in the country. As far as I can see, they are here to stay! Of course, the down-sized engine will be a deal-breaker for many, as it is for me.
- For me its a matter of how much money I am spending on the vehicle. Even I have to struggle/scrap a 10-15 lakh vehicle (Figo/Aspire/Ecosport), I can take a 2-3 lakh inr hit from current prices. I cant take a risk of spending 43 lakh (0 discounts btw!) and in 2 years if Ford is unable to provide me after sales service or wraps up Endeavour as a product, I wont be able to sell it for even 40% of the value.

Quote:
In my humble opinion, this is not a fair comparison at all since both of these vehicles are in altogether different segments.
- Agreed. I merely answered the question as I was asked feedback on both

Last edited by vikram31 : 8th February 2021 at 12:22.
vikram31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 14:53   #468
Senior - BHPian

Another video of the Fortuner facelift, this time off the road. While not a whole lot of takeaways, two things stood out for me:

a. Toyota should have given A/T tires on the 4x4 variant

b. While in 4-low, there is a continuous beep. Quite irritating I'd say. Not sure if there is a way to disable this.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 20:24   #469
Senior - BHPian

Completed namesake 1K service and was charged Rs.173- thanks to Corona(Charged for sanitization).

As now car has covered 1700KM and here is a quick review. Hope this helps potential buyers.

Interior/Exterior changes
1. Legender aside, the difference between Fortuner and pre-facelit is not much. A non auto guy may not see anything. From front- headlights, bumper grille have changed. Side profile has only thing that changed is Alloy wheels. At rear, layout of lamps have been changed, which is not easy to find.
2. Interiors again not a lot has changed. Gets a new HU, Color scheme with front ventilated seats, few extra buttons(Diff lock, Normal mode), speakers etc. The Chamois color was already offered in pre-facelift and charcoal black replaces Brown color. Instrument cluster is tweaked with new color scheme and digital speedo.
Well for many this is a Minor Update and even dealers call this- Fortuner MC(Minor Change). Once you start driving is when you realize the elephant in the room. Below are some aspects which to me have transformed Fortuner:

Engine: There is good bump in figures. the new diesel engine makes 500NM torque(vs 450 of older) and 204PS(Vs 177 of older). These sound good on paper and can be felt on drive too. Toyota has tuned Engine and Gearbox and overall outcome is a significant change. 0-100 comes at 9.7 seconds which will put hot hatches in country to shame. This engine has so much grunt, just a small dab on accelerator, the car leaps forward. Mind you I am still in Eco mode. The gearbox is eager to downshift and press the pedal hard and you will be pushed back. The way speedo climbs is alarming for 2.7 tonne body on frame SUV. The engine note is nice too. Until 3.5K RPM its a growl rather than clatter, absolutely loving this. In sport mode, car transforms, and the difference to Eco can be easily felt with car surging forward quickly. Once you start the car idling is at 680RPM and when AC is switched on, RPM settles at 800. Fuel Economy is decent, Tank to Tank returned anywhere between 10.8-13.5KMpl depending on a mix city and highway driving. MID is pretty accurate and on just 4 lane highway with speed of 100, MID reported 13.8-14KM/l which is fantastic. In pure city driving with traffic FE drops to 7-8KM/L.

Insulation Toyota has been mum on this since launch. To me this has improved leaps and bounds. My Endeavour 2.2 has active noise cancellation, despite this, Fortuner feels quite. Thanks to engine , despite 2.8L, feels quite refined especially when you know its a Toyota. On 4 lane highway at 100KM, engine is spinning at leisurely 1500-1600RPM, will make you think if this indeed is a diesel. There is wind/tire noise that seeps in, which is not much though.

Ride and Handling Toyota has tuned suspension(made it softer) and introduced Variable Flow control steering. Well at standstill, steering is still heavy, start moving and steering gets lighter, at parking speeds its quite light(not as much as EPS though). Post 60 KM/Hr steering starts weighing up. More than weight, the steering feels lot more direct and engaging. The suspension is still on stiffer side, you will feel potholes and bad patches. Endeavour has an edge here but the difference has been reduced significantly. On smooth roads, Fortuner feels lot more confident and even undulations don't de-stabilize. High speed ride is quite comfortable. To summarize, Fortuner has closed the gap on Endeavour on this aspect and goes on to better high speed ride. Personally I find steering better in Fortuner as its bit too sensitive in Endeavour. Steering in Endeavour is better to hold though as it has softer leather wrap.
Front seat of Endeavour feels like sofa and there is more lateral movement whereas in Fortuner, its a snug fit. Lateral support is excellent and seat has right firmness for me.

Comparison with Endeavour and Crysta
My Fortuner shares its space with 2.2L 2016 Endeavour and 2.4GX MT 2018 Innova(and a Thar DI). Each has their own strengths. For instance when it comes to ride comfort in front seat, Endeavor tops the charts, Fortuner hits the right notes if you love driving, thanks to that punchy engine and it has to be Innova if you want to be in 2nd or third row. If you loved 3.2L engine in Endeavour, you'll love the Fortuner more, better fuel efficiency is an added advantage. Fortuner is 200Kilo lighter and makes more BHP and torque than 3.2Endeavour, that says a lot. In pre-facelift form, unless you wanted an MT, Endeavour had better engine(read 3.2), ride, features. Now with update, Fortuner will please enthusiasts as well as the fanboys. Misses few kit like Sunroof, TPMS etc. but with Endeavour losing that 3.2 and Ford deleting features, Fortuner edges past Endeavour as a car. T-badge, resale value, better perceived service all come as an added advantage.

Last edited by PrideRed : 8th February 2021 at 20:26.
PrideRed is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 20:42   #470
BHPian

I've had two test drives of the facelifted 4x4 Fortuner over the last couple of days.

Shout out to the dealer -- the Toyota dealership on the Golf Course Extension Road in Gurgaon: they've been very responsive and sent the car at short notice on two occasions. Excellent interaction with them thus far.

Onto the car itself: I hadn't driven the pre-facelift version, so I can't really compare. Driving this one was a pleasure though. Some observations:

1. It was a smooth drive over some not-so-great roads and small potholes.

2. I would liken the throttle response and 'perception' of acceleration to be somewhere around my 2011 Chevrolet Cruze

3. Seats were comfortable by my standards. Nothing out of the world, but decent. More than enough space for myself and my brother to sit one behind another. Each of us are a little over 6'

4. I understand the technical reason for it, but a panoramic sunroof would have made the cabin feel significantly better than what it currently is.

5. ICE screen is average +. Not great, but functional and I don't have anything negative to report.
GNG19 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 19:08   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNG19 View Post
I've had two test drives of the facelifted 4x4 Fortuner over the last couple of days
Thanks for your inputs. So, test drives commenced in NCR as well.

Ironically, the city that houses the manufacturing facility has not got any test drive cars yet Dealers here are quoting insanely high no. of bookings as the reason for not being able to allot any cars for test drives, as TKM wants them to prioritize deliveries over test drives! Only Toyota (or rather brand Fortuner) can manage to pull this off for a 40-plus lac car

Anyone else from Bangalore has any updates on availability of test drive cars here?
Old 11th February 2021, 08:30   #472
BHPian

So, after all the waiting; I finally took delivery of my Pearl White 4x4 AT Fortuner yesterday.
While I did not get much time to drive it around yet; while scanning the user manual I came across this point - "You should drive in four wheel drive for at-least 16 km each month. This will ensure that the front drive components are lubricated"

While I do not reckon coming across such a point in my 2012 3.0L 4x4 MT (guess it was a full-time four wheel drive and hence not required), I want to seek advise from all of you on how to achieve this? How are the current owners of such models ensuring the need?

Living and jumping between Lucknow and Gurugram, I am sure I will not be able to visit a dedicated off-road track each month. Can there be a good (and easier to do) alternative?
Attached Images

Old 11th February 2021, 09:11   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingstein View Post
So, after all the waiting; I finally took delivery of my Pearl White 4x4 AT Fortuner yesterday. Living and jumping between Lucknow and Gurugram, I am sure I will not be able to visit a dedicated off-road track each month. Can there be a good (and easier to do) alternative?
Congrats for your new beast. Well, you do not need to go off-roading to engage 4H. You can drive with 4H on the tarmac. The manual nowhere mentions off-roading.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 09:57   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

b. While in 4-low, there is a continuous beep. Quite irritating I'd say. Not sure if there is a way to disable this.
Sharing in the interest of members. Continuous beep in the video indicates Low Range is not engaged, which is also mentioned in Manual. Once 4Lo is engaged properly, there is no continuous beep and indicator in Instrument turns solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingstein View Post
Living and jumping between Lucknow and Gurugram, I am sure I will not be able to visit a dedicated off-road track each month. Can there be a good (and easier to do) alternative?
Simply drive under 100KM/Hr and turn on 4H on tarmac. This is shift on fly and can be used in tarmac too but ensure to be withing speed limit.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 11:46   #475
BHPian

Quote:

Anyone else from Bangalore has any updates on availability of test drive cars here?
cool_dube,

I get to hear that the test drives in Bangalore commence this weekend. Might be a good idea to call up and check the exact details.
For bookings, I gathered that White/ Pearl White will have a shorter wait periods than any other colors. Dark colors have somewhat longer wait and colors such as Avante Garde Bronze would be made to order. Do not have the exact wait period though for each.

thanks.
subbarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 12:17   #476
BHPian

How much of a difference would there be in the driveability in the petrol and diesel versions of the Fortuner?
I drove the 4x4 diesel, which was a hoot. I'm not sure how the Petrol engine with lower power and torque would be.

Being in the NCR, I'm slightly wary of getting a diesel engine. However don't want to settle for a large car which may feel underpowered.
Old 11th February 2021, 12:25   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much of a difference would there be in the driveability in the petrol and diesel versions of the Fortuner?
I drove the 4x4 diesel, which was a hoot. I'm not sure how the Petrol engine with lower power and torque would be.

Being in the NCR, I'm slightly wary of getting a diesel engine. However don't want to settle for a large car which may feel underpowered.
Once you drive the new diesel, Petrol will not please you interms of power. With 500NM of torque, the engine ratings are comparable with GLE. That said latter is a monocoque and probably lighter and faster. I understand NCR issues and if you are sedate driver mostly munching miles within city, Petrol will do the duty but don't expect it to wow you!
Old 11th February 2021, 12:30   #478
BHPian

Quote:
I drove the 4x4 diesel, which was a hoot. I'm not sure how the Petrol engine with lower power and torque would be. However don't want to settle for a large car which may feel underpowered.
The 2.7 petrol is naturally aspirated and develops its peak torque at 4000 rpm. So, not only it develops lesser power and torque but low end driveability is also not great. I have not driven the petrol Fortuner, just telling from the various reviews I read. My advice would be to go for diesel Fortuner as it would give better fuel economy, Excellent performance as well as excellent resale.
Old 11th February 2021, 12:38   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
You can drive with 4H on the tarmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Simply drive under 100KM/Hr and turn on 4H on tarmac
Guys, this generation of the Fortuner is a part-time 4WD and hence, does not come equipped with a center differential. Therefore, it should not be driven in 4wd modes (H4 or L4) on high-traction surfaces (like tarmac) that do not allow wheel slip. This can cause serious damage to the drive-train. I would be very surprised if the user manual does not mention this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
I get to hear that the test drives in Bangalore commence this weekend.
Thanks buddy. However, I have decided to forego the Fortuner for the Endeavour, keeping my priorities in view

Quote:
Like night and day! Do not even think about a petrol Fortuner. Go for lighter SUVs like the Kodiaq, if you prefer petrol.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 12:54   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. However, I have decided to forego the Fortuner for the Endeavour, keeping my priorities in view
No offence, but i think you should drive the new Fortuner before finalising your decision. Endeavour is a great product but i can guarantee you that after you drive the new Fortuner you would be really impressed.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks