Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:31   #586

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingstein View Post
Hey, this looks great. Can you share more details on the cost and details of all the work done?

I am confused and trying to figure out if I should opt for Ceramic Coating/ PPF (paint protection film) on my Pearl White Fortuner or leave it as is and instead get it cleaned and waxed at a professional car wash every month or two?

The main reason I ask this is because I travel a lot on the Lucknow-Delhi expressways and the front gets covered with all the insects all way long.

Looking for suggestions from fellow BHPians as well.
Well they offered me 5 years plan for 35k, which includes yearly maintenance for 5 years free of cost. Got some discount after negotiating. Final price 31.5 K. It took around 8 hours for the whole process. Also they have around 40+ Franchises Pan India and yearly maintenance can be availed from any Franchise. Working and detailing is satisfactory. But can give proper review of coating after few months. Overall nice experience :
Old 4th March 2021, 12:38   #587
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:

> Suspension
The suspension is better when compared to the earlier model; however it is not as soft and you do feel the road irregularities filter through the car. I feel largely it is the improved insulation which smoothens out the experience and not the suspension per se. I did change the tyre pressure to 32 psi (on nitrogen) and that does seem to help a bit more. The setup is better when compared to the pre-facelift version as well (especially in the bigger potholes experience). But maybe the setup of Innova Crysta is a better balance in comparison (per my limited experience)

> Steering
This one is a bit difficult for me. Honestly, I have been trying to figure out noticeable differences in between the two; the steering has definitely improved in terms of responsiveness, connect and feedback but the overall effort for manoeuvring is still very comparable to before.
Isn't the recommended tire pressure 29? May be you should try reducing. Crysta has softer, hence better low speed ride but doesn't have the same highspeed stability of Fortuner. On a 4 lane highway Fortuner is more enjoyable and Crysta in City. Also driving back to back, there is little more sideways movement in Crysta. At the back, Crysta definitely has more comfort, thanks to softer suspension and bucket seats. None of the 45L SUV can match.
Old 4th March 2021, 14:37   #588
BHPian

Booked Super White 4x4 AT with Black interior with JD Toyota, Bilaspur. They have promised delivery before 31st March. We wanted to get the Pearl White shade but the delivery timeline was uncertain. We TD Legender, the Black & Maroon contrast interior looks much better in person. Disappointed with HT tyres on 4WD, 2WD on the other hand comes with AT tyres.
Old 5th March 2021, 09:38   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Isn't the recommended tire pressure 29? May be you should try reducing.
Hey, since the recommended tyre pressure is 29 on normal air, isn't it a norm to increase it by ~10% when replacing with nitrogen instead?

I think I read this somewhere a few years back, the logic was to compensate for the lack of moisture molecules in nitrogen which makes it much lighter than normal air!

Following suite, I have always had 10% more pressure in all my vehicles since I always run them on nitrogen. Am I wrong in this though?
Old 5th March 2021, 10:16   #590
BHPian

I took my vehicle for a trip from Lucknow to Gurgaon via the Lucknow-Agra-Delhi expressways and I must say the highway drive is indeed amazingly satisfying. The stiffer suspension does its job with an absolute charm and should you spot a rough patch/pothole very late, the car remains poise and composed even if braking hard.

I did not drive over 120 kmph, used cruise control and had the vehicle indicate ECO for my drive the entire time, received ~10.2 kmpl average consumption.

On the flip side, came across this bummer of a meter error in the car speed-o-meter which is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

The Lucknow-Agra expressways have a few speed indicators set across the length of the e-way and never did I find much of a difference in the car's speed vs the ones I have driven on this route.
On my 2021 Fortuner however, while cruising at 119 kmph, it indicated 112 kmph instead. I thought it to be wrong and waited for the next one which also showed the same. Since the e-way has sign boards showing the distance covered for each 100 meters across the e-way, i tried to check using the manual computation of distance and time and that came to be 112.5 kmph exact when the vehicle was cruising at 119kmph instead.

I checked for other speeds too, and when cruise was set at 108, the highway indicators flashed 101 kmph and so on.

This is a big disappointment since at 120 kmph, the car starts to beep for the speed reminder. So essentially, for a peaceful (free from the incessant beeping) cruise, the max I can do with this vehicle is 112 kmph!!!

BTW, this also changes all the claims for the FE on various speeds and also the 0-100/0-120 acceleration claims that various forums like Gaadi-waadi have posted

(Tried capturing the same but not readable!)
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img_5081.png  

Last edited by gamingstein : 5th March 2021 at 10:22.
gamingstein is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 10:53   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On my 2021 Fortuner however, while cruising at 119 kmph, it indicated 112 kmph instead.
I think you meant the reverse? So the speedometer was indicating 119kph when the actual speed was only 112 kph?

It is normal for cars to indicate 2-3 kph higher speed on the console than the actual speed the vehicle is going at, to allow for a safety margin against overspeeding, however a 7 kph difference is too much. As you say, it is a bother with the mandatory speed warning beeps in place now.
Old 5th March 2021, 11:21   #592
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
On the flip side, came across this bummer of a meter error in the car speed-o-meter which is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.
BIS standards mandate this. See discussion here (Speedometer calibration: Government says that vehicle should overstate speed)

Passenger cars fall under M category and hence the difference between the speedometer calibration and the actual speed should be 6 km/h as per the standard (pdf in the above link).

Link to find the category of the vehicle is here.
cnu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 12:41   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I think you meant the reverse? So the speedometer was indicating 119kph when the actual speed was only 112 kph?

It is normal for cars to indicate 2-3 kph higher speed on the console than the actual speed the vehicle is going at, to allow for a safety margin against overspeeding, however a 7 kph difference is too much. As you say, it is a bother with the mandatory speed warning beeps in place now.
Yes, I meant while the in car speedo-meter displayed 119 kmph; the actual speed came to be 112 kmph.

Apologies if it sounds confusing.
Old 5th March 2021, 14:40   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, since the recommended tyre pressure is 29 on normal air, isn't it a norm to increase it by ~10% when replacing with nitrogen instead?

I think I read this somewhere a few years back, the logic was to compensate for the lack of moisture molecules in nitrogen which makes it much lighter than normal air!

Following suite, I have always had 10% more pressure in all my vehicles since I always run them on nitrogen. Am I wrong in this though?
I not an expert but I use normal air and stick to company prescribed PSi. The ride is quite ok at low speed.

On a different note Toyota shipped crazy 2053 units of Fortuner in Feb. Sold more than all competitors put together. Notably Endeavour has a healthy sales too at 801 units.
Old 5th March 2021, 15:01   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
..............On a different note Toyota shipped crazy 2053 units of Fortuner in Feb. Sold more than all competitors put together. Notably Endeavour has a healthy sales too at 801 units.
Just remember that it is the dispatch figures and not the retail. Fortuner being new had to have those numbers because of the initial demand.
Endeavour on the other hand probably was a push. That is how the industry operates generally. I don't see too many new endeavours around now a days.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 15:41   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Just remember that it is the dispatch figures and not the retail. Fortuner being new had to have those numbers because of the initial demand.
Endeavour on the other hand probably was a push. That is how the industry operates generally. I don't see too many new endeavours around now a days.
I am aware of that and also the 5000+booking Toyota have in hand , Toyota has not seen this kind of Fortuner shipment since long. The steep price hike doesnot seem to deter the buyers. Not sure, down south here there are good number of Endeavour's. Despite average engine, Sunroof, American styling and 3.5L cheaper price tag does attract buyers.

Last edited by PrideRed : 5th March 2021 at 15:44.
Old 6th March 2021, 08:11   #597
Senior - BHPian

The Updated Fortuner helps the model cross 2k figures after 32 long months. It is the first time after June 2018 that the model has crossed 2k volumes.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-20210306_080826.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 08:38   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Updated Fortuner helps the model cross 2k figures after 32 long months. It is the first time after June 2018 that the model has crossed 2k volumes.

Attachment 2129133

Source
Seemingly Toyota Fortuner is going by strengths reliability & resale, & now the new variant & added power has added to customers lining up at dealerships (it's got 5000 bookings & I believe only a quarter of that were delivered, assuming part of the February numbers are from customers who won't have bothered).

Endeavour, despite the power deficit is holding on - Ford brand, comfy ride, cheaper price, sunroof, etc only making it an alternative. I hope Ford honchos take the endeavour & bring the twin turbo engine to match up with Fortuner.

MG needs ro understand, they are in another segment, they need to play the price card than just borrowed British heritage. Not all of the buyer opt for these behmoths for 3rd row seating & bling features.

Others are barely hanging by the thread it seems. Feels sad to see Isuzu not playing the game sincerely. Everytime I see the MuX I feel it could have been a top 2 player if there were enough variants (manual) & better interiors, but the Japs are happy selling those in miniscule East Asian markets thah much bigger Indian market.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 23:17   #599
BHPian

I know PrideRed and other BHPians have stated about this already but couldn't help myself from posting still.

Got the first service done and tried out the Sports mode on this beast. The performance is STUNNING!!

The engine revs smooth, the gear shifts are held onto ~3500 rpm and there is a nice engine note, the steering feels particularly suited in this mode and the car does well in the handling too (given its mammoth size and Body-on-Frame under-pinnings)

I feel this should satiate the spirited driving zeal among most of us!

On a separate note, given the umpteenth suggestions on paint protection in the automotive world, I am opting for the Ceramic Coating on my Pearl White car from Detailing Devils (as shared by AmitR). I found the 5 year deal to be a good balance and not exorbitantly expensive. The main reason is to protect from insect marks from highway drives.

Sharing a pic of my 3 beasts (3rd being the RE Thunderbird )

Which reminds me; has anyone noticed that even when the dimensions of the 2 different Gen Fortuners are the same, the engine hood on 2021 does feel a lot higher as compared to the earlier one? I could not set my seat to the lowest on the 2021 one as I normally did in the 2012.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img_5092.jpg  

gamingstein is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 03:21   #600
Senior - BHPian

I haven't come across a single instance of the 4X4 Manual Transmission yet, be it reviews or purchases.

Makes me believe that when one is plonking 45+ lakhs, they are likely to select 4X4 Automatic over a Manual and enjoy 500Nm Torque and convenience in the AT v/s 420Nm in the MT although power figures are same at 201 BHP in both MT and AT.

I still believe that a Fortuner MT would be more fun to drive even with lower torque with better Fuel Efficiency compared to the Automatic.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks