Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2020, 11:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda HR-V midsize SUV still being considered for India

Honda needs a sub4m crossover first, the rugged Jazz just won't do it. I'm surprised they aren't utilising the 2nd gen Amaze platform for making SUVs specifically for India, that way I believe it is much easier and cheaper than picking some random international Honda and making it to fit for India.
Old 29th July 2020, 11:57   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, the HR-V could have real potential in India. Agreed with Crazy Driver that the current gen is now too old, but even if they bring in the next-gen, Honda would need to change "its thinking". The car has to be premium inside out, the right variants have to be offered at the start (e.g. no City Diesel AT, but Amaze Diesel AT is there), the suspension has to be perfectly tuned, the pricing has to be spot on...success isn't easy because we have so much competition. See what happened to the ill-prepared Harrier. Or the CR-V; Honda overpriced it, skipped some features (front parking sensors, electronic tailgate operation etc.) and had some weird variant planning (7-seater only with the diesel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
2016:

2018:

April 2019:
Incredible post. We had similar discussions on the Toyota Fortuner from 2005 till the time it finally came in 2009. Seeing the Fortuner's success, better late than never is all that I can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
How is one to keep track of, let alone differentiate, between BR-V, CR-V, WR-V, and now HR-V?!
Me too. Whoever thought of this "-RV" family naming should be fired.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 14:51   #18
BHPian

I have checked out the HRV in person few months ago. I would say that the quality, fit and finish was a bit below my expectation.

Not sure whether I was wrong with my expectations! But overall it's a cute looking car and there is nothing masculine or SUVish in it.

It comes with an IN-LINE 4 CYLINDER 1.8L 16-Valve SOHC i-VTEC engine generating a maximum power of 140HP @6500 RPM & claimed FE of 16.9km/l. Just adding the price details (ex. showroom) for curiosity.

Honda HR-V midsize SUV still being considered for India-capture.jpg

Spec & Variant wise Feature list :
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 21YM HR-V GCC Brochure_LR.pdf (2.48 MB, 175 views)

Last edited by kamilharis : 29th July 2020 at 14:57.
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 14:54   #19
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Saw this video in Hindi shot in a showroom in Thailand.

The car looks attractive and very well built. If Honda can get this car to India to compete against the Korean Twins, it would be perfect.

The ICE Unit looks strictly after-market and a decade old.

Last edited by MAS : 29th July 2020 at 14:55.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 14:20   #20
BHPian

A bit off topic, but Toyota is also on the same boat as Honda by not launching the C-HR here in India. They were also 'planning' to launch it here by late 2017, and there were rumors and reports again at end of 2018 that it might launch by mid 2019.

Honda is definitely losing a lot of their market share in India to the Koreans, and this makes me kind of sad, considering they were at one point of time a very strong player in our market. Even the last generation of City sold very well in its segment.

They spend very long time in 'thinking' and at the end when finally the product launches, they mess up in the engine-transmission options - as in the Civic. It launched pretty late and when it did, the engine-gearbox combination was disappointing.
Old 1st August 2020, 21:55   #21
BHPian

Honda India seems to be stuck in eternal procrastination and whenever they do decide on something, it is usually disastrous be it either pricing or finalizing the model to be launched. I strongly feel they need a strong rejig of their India strategy and, their top management. For starters they should stop seeing themselves as a luxury brand, they are not! Secondly , they need to look at cars that will resonate with the masses (unlike Mobilio ) . And finally, please focus on the interiors! Can't seem to pinpoint the exact reason but the interiors of the Hondas are usually a hit or miss.
Old 1st August 2020, 23:09   #22
BHPian

Honda can experiment with HRV in indian market by utilizing 2500 import rule, unless Honda already maxed out in any other vehicle(?)
And they can price\position HRV top variant directly against Karoq\TROC.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 00:27   #23
BHPian

The proportions of HRV looks well balanced, and to me, looks good. Its the same size as Creta and Seltos, minus a few centimetres.

If this product was launched few years back, we surely would not have seen so many Cretas on the road. Honda is already late. Don't understand what stopped them from launching it in the market where it would have sold in huge numbers just going by the Honda brand, and the reason that his segment has done so well in the last five years with cars like Creta/Duster.

Still, better late than never. They will need to price it competitively and definitely below Creta. They have the advantage of premium, reliable brand reputation. It looks good and its a Honda. Enough for an Indian to cut the cheque in Honda's favour, unless Honda decides to be greedy and price the top model at 20 lakhs on road. At this price, Creta and Seltos have already won the trust of buyers.

I think 18 lakhs on road should be max, with all the features which are present today in this segment.
Pricing will be key.
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
...How is one to keep track of, let alone differentiate, between BR-V, CR-V, WR-V, and now HR-V?! Surely they need better names?...
Well, i think we should be grateful that they showed some mercy on us, by not bringing more RVs here (in UK, I've seen FRV & ZRV as well)
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

It's really not so hard for Honda to succeed in India. It still carries the brand image, (laymans still think Honda is premium) just a little price and feature revision is required for their cars.

Follow these 2 steps, and Honda could again enjoy some good sales-

1) Don't price the cars at a premium when compared to the segment's best sellers.
2) Offer some more kit for the same prices. They have somehwat done this with the new City, but still prices of old city were already too high. However, their other products are still seriously lacking in equipment.
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
Honda has run out of excuses.

And I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant, - Honda should first give us the WRV with the 1.5 iVTEC & then talk about launching the HRV or whatever other imaginary Creta rival they can come up with!

You couldn't have spoken a truer word. Honda had a great chance to plonk the 1.5 I V Tec with CVT combo in the BS6 avatar of W-RV. They already have a proven motor.

BS6 WRV is way too overpriced. Base variant is approx 8.50 lacs ex showroom. WRV uses the engine in same state of time as the Amaze manual and priced it almost 1.5 lac more. Doesn't seem to make sense. At least engine in higher state of power could have been offered.

Other sub 1200cc CSUV's (nexon, venue , brezza, freestyle) have base variant that's are upto 2 lacs cheaper. Even the segment best(in my opinion) Ecosport has a variant cheaper than WRV.

You get the top end amaze with CVT configuration almost 25k below the price of WR-V entry model.

To be fair, the base model of WRV is loaded with reasonable amount of goodies, but why pay more than a lac when you get the same motor and equipment in the VFM Amaze ? Moreover WRV has the lowest ground clearance among the C-SUV's (Pseudo SUV's)

Honda better price WRV accordingly, capture some market share before thinking of bringing in new models
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:52   #27
BHPian

I agree with you, if Ford can put the 1.5 dragon in the EcoSport, Maruti the 1.5 in the Brezza, what is stopping Honda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
2016:
2018:

April 2019:

June 2019:

August 2019:

July 2020:

Your post reminded me of this sitcom
Attached Thumbnails
Honda HR-V midsize SUV still being considered for India-images-14.jpeg  

John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post

And I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant, - Honda should first give us the WRV with the 1.5 iVTEC & then talk about launching the HRV or whatever other imaginary Creta rival they can come up with!
I have always heard this argument but I think 1.5 iVTEC will directly place it in 45% tax slab up from 12% currently. Which should make it dearer by about 2 lakhs just from tax point of view. Add the cost of bigger engine and other ancillaries. It will also add to insurance and significantly to road tax and registration. I do not think price will be practically feasible for any car with such low footprint. It will not sell simply by being in same range as Seltos and Creta. Please correct me if I am wrong with some data.

Last edited by gupta_chd : 2nd August 2020 at 11:05.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:52   #29
BHPian

Yes the tax slabs will be higher, but look at the WRVs competition. Ford has put the 1.5 dragon in the EcoSport, Maruti has put the 1.5 in the Brezza, how have they managed to this and keep the prices reasonable? Soon the S-Cross also will launch with the same 1.5 motor. Keep in mind the same tax slabs apply to all the above cars.

Honda usually has premium pricing, so be it - there will be a decent number of people who will buy the WRV over the Brezza even if they charge 40-60k more.

This only shows how greedy the exec's are at Honda. Also shows a lack of decision making among the top officials. Case in point - they didn't launch the diesel CVT.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
John316_WRC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 01:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
I have always heard this argument but I think 1.5 iVTEC will directly place it in 45% tax slab up from 12% currently. Which should make it dearer by about 2 lakhs just from tax point of view.
https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...india/74710497

As per this article sub 4 metre 1.2l petrol cars have 29% gst and sub 4m 1.5l petrol cars have 43%gst

Quote:
Add the cost of bigger engine and other ancillaries. It will also add to insurance and significantly to road tax and registration
Insurance rates are same for cars in 1000 cc to 1500cc

I don't think there will be a serious cost difference between a 1200cc engine nd 1500cc engine at least at the manufacturer level

Registration and road tax varies from state to state. But generally a higher rate is charged once ex showroom rate crosses 10lacs

Quote:
I do not think price will be practically feasible for any car with such low footprint. It will not sell simply by being in same range as Seltos and Creta. Please correct me if I am wrong with some data

Brezza and ecosport have 1500cc engines and are priced competitively. So Honda should be able to price logically and increase the footprint.

Honda seems greedy and is trying to milk the premium brand image , albeit unsuccessfully. At the very least it could have added a hybrid engine to WR-V and beefed up the 1.2 litre engine ( The japs have the necessary tech)

Honda is simply not understanding the logic of volumes. Higher volumes generate extra income in the form of spares for OEM, and ASS income for dealers.

Besides WR-V is not NCAP rated.
Even Maruthi has managed 4 stars for Brezza. Tata nexon and Ecosport need no introduction in this parameter

In short, its not appealing for the aam aadmi(happily buys brezza/venue) or the enthusiast (goes with ecosport/nexon)

And if Honda is still wondering why sales are not happening, god help them
Voodooblaster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks