Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 12:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Night Eagle priced at Rs. 19.95 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Jeep has revealed the details of the limited edition Compass Night Eagle
Night Eagle!! Seriously FCA...? You got to be kidding us! What tomfoolery I daresay. A pathetic attempt at reviving dwindling sales of a very capable machine let down by nonsensical pricing and option deprivation! Why not get the Tigershark petrol to India? Why not offer 4x4 in a petrol variant? Wish someone in their management chain gives them a reality check.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:12   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For the initial 3 months of 2020, the Compass sold between 600 - 700 units. Quite disappointing, and that was before the all-new Creta + Harrier Automatic were launched. FCA India had better take drastic measures, else the Compass itself will become a "limited edition" .

Awesome car but shoddy sales & marketing push. Just see the variant mishaps! The Diesel AT was first launched at an obscene price (Trailhawk), and 2 years too late.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Awesome car but shoddy sales & marketing push. Just see the variant mishaps! The Diesel AT was first launched at an obscene price (Trailhawk), and 2 years too late.
Apart from the above-mentioned issues what many others have already mentioned is that in India size matters.

If a person is upgrading to a compass segment from a Creta or Seltos segment the size differentiation should be there without that many a times even people like us enthusiasts are not able to justify the premium to our families as the price difference is not equivalent to the space or size on offer.

And in India at least car buying is not an individual decision. Had that not been the case many of the cars which flopped here would have been hits.

Last edited by sv97 : 31st July 2020 at 13:02.
sv97 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 13:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
As a owner of Jeep Compass, I see these attempts as a lazy effort to revive the dwindling sales chart. The company needs more than these "Night-eagles". They have to work towards providing more value to the customers ( read features ) and a USP ( may be 6 airbags in all models, 4x4 with a Petrol, etc.) which can showcase its differentiating prowess. Only Jeep owners understand the quality and feel of the vehicle as they are riding it day and night. For rest, it is not a value proposition. Prospective buyers will sway towards LED TV size touch screen, and mood lighting and will seldom understand the mechanical prowess these Jeeps bring on table.
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the value proposition a Jeep 4*2 offers over a say Kia or new Creta that a buyer would be willing to pay a 30-50% premium on? I for instance picked up a Seltos, and definitely test drove both the Jeep and Harrier (though the Harrier was the bs4 140 BHP sluggish one, if it was the revamped avatar, I would have picked it up in a heart beat), and personally and with no insult meant to Jeep owners, found it spectacularly over priced.

IMO Jeep needs to price it better and stop charging absurd premiums. 6k KM and not a niggle in my Seltos, so I would guess I have made a reasonably well informed decision.

Edit - The issue with the likes of FCA or even Toyota is that they don't understand value proposition in the Indian market and Dussenbury price their products out of the market. If variant to variant the Jeep was priced even 2 L extra, I am 100% sure their market will increase manifold.

Last edited by Stribog : 31st July 2020 at 13:42.
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 14:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the value proposition a Jeep 4*2 offers over a say Kia or new Creta that a buyer would be willing to pay a 30-50% premium on?
I do understand from where you are coming from and is a very genuine thinking. Price on price, spec on spec it is difficult to recommend Jeep over Kia Seltos if you really go by your head. Possibly, even I would have bought Seltos over Compass if it was available then and saved 5 lac Rupees. Congratulations on your ride and enjoy many more miles with it.

If we start comparing value propositions, then may be Skoda Superb would be selling more than all A4, 3Series and C Series. Isn't it.

But for person like me, who goes more by heart and not head, Jeep Compass would be my pick every single day. No doubt Seltos looks more modern, but am sorry to say it is no way nearer to the assurance you get when you step into it as Jeep does. The tank like built quality ( feel the thud when you close the gate vs others) , Original Leather upholstery ( not a fake leather which others offer), Soft touch plastics, zero panel gaps, 100 nm more torque, best suspension and handling in any crossover south of 25 lacs, Frequency selective system, Terrain modes, Rollover mitigation system ( one of the most important safety feature in any SUV and which is missed in Seltos ) and the feeling of being part of an iconic brand - "Jeep" are some of the reasons which cannot be overlooked. But then it is true that it is not value for money. Actually, it is not meant for all sane heads.

I miss cruise control, ventilated seats, HUD display, Branded music system ( with pathetic sound quality) and mood cabin led light but I am happy that mechanically Jeep is at least a league ahead and has things which I need more like sliding hand rest, and illuminated switches across cabin..

P.S: With so many Seltos around, It feels nice to be different. Novelty factor for these new design cars are already lost. No offence to Seltos Owner. Kia is a mass manufacturer and Jeep is a niche product. The next class of vehicle in Jeep catalogue is Wrangler and then Cherokees. It is a premium brand and you might need to pay a premium for owning one! Same if you compare iphones vs oneplus . Again no offence one plus owners please.

Do I regret - Not at all

Last edited by Roadster17 : 31st July 2020 at 14:55.
Roadster17 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the value proposition a Jeep 4*2 offers over a say Kia or new Creta that a buyer would be willing to pay a 30-50% premium on? I for instance picked up a Seltos, and definitely test drove both the Jeep and Harrier (though the Harrier was the bs4 140 BHP sluggish one, if it was the revamped avatar, I would have picked it up in a heart beat), and personally and with no insult meant to Jeep owners, found it spectacularly over priced.
I do not intend to start a Compass vs Seltos argument but I would like to share my thoughts.

Almost a year ago, I was upgrading from my Verna. I test drove both Compass and Seltos for extended periods. And I would pick Compass any day over the Seltos. The reason I drove Seltos again and again was to try and save a cool 5lakhs, when compared to Compass. But the more I drove these cars, the more I was sure that it was indeed Jeep for me.

Look at this like this: if someone was giving you a car for free among these two wonderful cars, which one you or any of the bhpians would pick. Here you go, you answered it yourself.

It is overpriced, for sure, at least by 2 lakhs, but the car itself is in a different league. Take my compass out on a drive on a highway, and i am sure you will agree.

Thanks.
SRTH1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 08:27   #22
BHPian

Wake up JEEP! This is not 2015.All competitors are offering better specs.
With a little extra bugs, I would go with Harrier in this price range any day. Harrier comes with brilliant Diesel Engine and road presence when compared with Compass. Both has Hit/Miss After sales support.
Old 1st August 2020, 11:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Prices start at ₹20.14 lakhs (ex-showroom Mumbai), it’s limited to only 250 units all over India.
So what unique features does this limited edition contain? The word limited would indicate exclusivity no?
Or is this an attempt to clear old stock by putting on some lipstick?
Old 1st August 2020, 12:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Apart from the above-mentioned issues what many others have already mentioned is that in India size matters.

If a person is upgrading to a compass segment from a Creta or Seltos segment the size differentiation should be there without that many a times even people like us enthusiasts are not able to justify the premium to our families as the price difference is not equivalent to the space or size on offer.
It might not be a size thing always. Else the Tucson or the Tiguan would have sold far more than the Compass, both being bigger, and in similar price range. Last year i was getting the Tiguan Comfortline at 26 on road, similar to Compass Limited Plus.

The Audi Q3 is not much different in size from the Compass, yet many pay 35 lakhs for it...

I think the question is of brand perception- as supported by the Q3. While Jeep has been able to position itself as a different, lifestyle brand, it still has not been able to communicate the rationale for the price premium, because in India, Jeep still has an utilitarian ring to it. On top of that, most of it's variants feel under-equipped for its price, and after sales has been strictly ok, not great.

If I were Jeep, i would stick to a 16-25 lakh range (right now it extends to 27)- put more equipment in every variant so that customers feel that they are getting their money's worth. Safety, 4X4, and style along with great customer service- these should be the brand tenets. Space, anyways is not a plus point for any Jeep model

Talk to Jeep owners, and they will swear by the brand. Till the new products come in, Jeep only has the Compass to peddle, and so these Limited editions is what we are getting. And it has been 3 years since they introduced the Compass so users will look for an upgrade soon. They need to have the Grand Compass in early so that they can retain the base, and get the Renegade in to get new users into the family, who can later on move up the ladder within the brand.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 16:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

The starting trim of the Compass competes with top trim of Seltos/ Creta which have 6 airbags . No amount of engineering finesse can explain this lack of basic customer safety focus.
Then again, the petrol engine doesnt have AWD. I would feel it a bit of an inconvenience to buy a diesel with its DPF, adblue hassles on a long term basis.
In any case. with the numbers that Jeep sells, they better offer AWD as standard. That would also be consistent with the brand DNA.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st August 2020 at 16:43.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 19:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

We own both Seltos GTX+ DCT & Compass Petrol AT. I think the Compass is severely lacking in tech (DCT is horrible, no LED lights), creature comforts/gizmos and severely overpriced for their offering. Surely the build quality is good in many aspects (bad in some, flimsy gear lever and rattling from dashboard). But it is in no way justified likely pricing your car 10 lakh over the competition. They should offer all features that export model gets for the price to be kind of justified. Right now in my opinion Compass is overpriced by 5-12 lakhs depending on variant and no matter how much I love it I cannot justify it.
quickdraw is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:38   #27
BHPian

Came across an ad for a 2020 Night Eagle. Under 20L. I didn't know about the Night Eagle variant. Was excited at first. But no sunroof is a bummer and a deal breaker.

Compass is indeed priced outrageously especially now in 2022 with the model S. The Petrol S is 31 OTR in Mumbai, Diesel 4X4 is 35 and Trailhawk is 37! Completely crazy numbers. No right thinking person should pay such a huge premium.

But all said and done, Jeep is Jeep. There's just something about this car that makes you throw out all calculations.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 23:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
. Jeep is Jeep. There's just something about this car that makes you throw out all calculations.
Its a Jeep with the soul (platform and engine) of a Fiat

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks