Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2020, 03:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Kia: 1 lakh sales up in India!

The ground work & lessons learned by Hyundai greatly helped Kia (of which Hyundai owns 33%). Everyone knew that pseudo SUV or crossovers were becoming the rage, so a good product like the Seltos will obviously do well.

What is especially noteworthy is the success of the Carnival. Right now in the high-end/premium MUV the Carnival enjoys an almost hurdle free run to the bank. Kia's product expansion team must be awarded for identifying new market segments.

What are other manufacturers doing in terms of expansion?

Ford:
Most Ford's are facelifts of older gen cars & other than the EcoSport I don't think they are doing very well. If Honda can clock decent numbers on the Amaze & City (both sedans) why hasn't Ford given us a worthy successor to the Fiesta? Honestly with the endless features deletion in the Figo, Freestyle & Aspire, Ford is only asking for more trouble.

VW:
They have the potential for great things, but continuing with the old Polo/Vento is already hurting them. When are they planning to bring the next Polo? Why haven't they launched the T- Cross that completes against the XUV300 in other markets? Why don't they bring the UP!? If markets like Poland, Ukraine, Australia, South Africa get newer products, why should India get decade old cars?

Maruti:
The audacity to boycott G-NCAP shows how much they care for safety. Only the S-Cross, Brezza & Ignis seem to be safer. The baleno & swift are great city cars, but accidents can happen anywhere. Maruti should be showing the way forward in terms of safety & build quality, instead they find newer ways for cost cutting.

Fiat/Jeep: how do you kill good products like the Palio, Linea & Punto? I hope they don't repeat it with the Compass.

Tata & Mahindra - they are launching decent products & customers are warming up to them. I really appreciate the efforts to make accessible, safe cars for the masses. Both being homegrown makes me feel proud of them & they definitely have a bright future.

Honda - is sticking to it's guns (read sedans) and regular updates have kept their range relevant.

MG - never thought they would do so well, after seeing the Hector+ in flesh all I can say, Innova better watch out!

Hyundai - take a look at the below list of cars that have won the prestigious ICOTY, this will tell you everything about the company.
2020 - Venue
2018 - Verna
2016 - Creta
2015 - Elite i20
2014 - Grand i10
2008 - i10
I won't be surprised if the Koreans (Hyundai+Kia) overtake Maruti to become the No.1 in India after 5-6 years

And it won't be one bit undeserving.
John316_WRC is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 07:05   #17
BHPian

The well-deserved appreciation for Kia's Perfect entry into Indian market, especially, when entire Automobile Market is on slow down, every car maker was crying consistently. Kia has proved how to turn the odds in your favor and do well. It is a best case study to be discussed in Business World from now on.

Kia has done everything "PERFECT". Let me analyze this for Seltos.
Design - PERFECT for Indian Market (Bold and aggressive, cross-over SUV)
Engineering - PERFECT (so far customers doesn't have any complaints)
Product Planning - PERFECT (Indians need options to choose, and with a long list of configurations, Kia has offered the flexibility to choose. Hope they can offer customization as well, next level flexibility)
Marketing - PERFECT (I remember, how Kia created buzz in AutoExpo 2018, there was huge foot fall in their arena. Since then, Kia has become talk of the automobile world in India, and then "Badass Campaign" created more thrill and anxiety in the potential buyers to wait and buy Seltos)

I must appreciate the efforts of Top Management of Kia to make this success possible for Kia Motors India. Surely, they must have received lot of learning and support from Hyundai's Experience in India, however, competing with Hyundai is also a daring approach here. Putting Seltos neck to neck to Creta, is something, we have never seen in the competition in past. Both siblings belongs to same platform and same engine, but still able to rule the market.

This Seltos-Creta, combination, has made the competition for other companies very tough. What better we can get in comparison with Seltos/ Creta for Indian market? Honda is trying to bring HR-V from long time, which 1 segment upper than Seltos-Creta. I have seen HR-V in other countries, and IMO, it cannot satisfy the Indian customer expectation.

Let's see more fierce competition when Sonet comes into the market. We have many options in that segment, so how Sonet survives, is something to be watched.
fearless_IN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 07:21   #18
BHPian

Treat your potential customers well, and they will treat you better. Kia has absolutely nailed it. They took the Indian market really seriously and look how the market responded. The sheer number of variants is a testimony to that. When was the last time a manufacturer provided so many options in terms of engine, gearbox and features. There's a Seltos for everyone. Compare this to other manufacturers that bring models 2-3 years after their global unveil (some of them still contemplating on the launch for a couple of years now), then facelift them again for another decade, shy away from launching new products, and still crib about Indian market not being mature enough. Kia's success story is a slap in the face for all of them. And let's not forget the Carnival either. Really respectable number for a 4 million rupee car as well. Well done Kia!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 1st August 2020 at 07:23.
GKR9900 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 16:19   #19
MUJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
I won't be surprised if the Koreans (Hyundai+Kia) overtake Maruti to become the No.1 in India after 5-6 years

And it won't be one bit undeserving.
True that the Korean twins are doing their bit in introducing newer and better cars compared to the other manafacturers present in India. But as you see MS has been mostly a sub 10L brand in India. Their products below 6L are nearly unrivalled by any brand. Any person/family who upgrade from 2 wheelers will automatically choose for an MS, due to it's brand value, ease of maintenance and the fuel economy. But on the other hand informed persons will look at other alternatives. So I think market share of MS will reduce to around 40% while The Koreans will be around the 35% in the next 6 years. That will nearly create a Duopoly in the market.
MUJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:08   #20
BHPian

It's been a great run here for KIA, they should seriously get the Sportage here quick, as it's already selling well in other neighbouring countries and 2021 should be a good time to bring it here, if it's not already planned.
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:43   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Seriously, this is the best debut of any car brand since Team-BHP was born. Also notice how they have selectively targeted segments where there is:

- High potential of volumes (Seltos) or profits (Carnival).

- Is less crowded (Seltos) or old competition (Vitara Brezza, EcoSport).

- Allows them to offer a premium product with all features that help in brand building.

They have consciously avoided the hatchback & sedan segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I am wondering what Jeep did wrong while entering India
- Premium pricing for a small cabin. Compass wasn't priced to sell; it was priced for fat profits.

- No Diesel AT (which the segment loves) at launch. They have a Diesel AT today, but the Harrier's Diesel AT is more competent (Tata uses a Hyundai gearbox) + cheaper.

- Lame Petrol AT.

- Weird variant planning. E.g. 6 airbags just with the AWD. Compare Seltos variants.

- Missed offering goodies at launch (auto wipers, headlamps). In comparison, Seltos offered more than the market expected (e.g. 360-degree camera, HUD).

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2020 at 11:45.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Premium pricing for a small cabin. Compass wasn't priced to sell; it was priced for fat profits.

- No Diesel AT (which the segment loves) at launch. They have a Diesel AT today, but the Harrier's Diesel AT is more competent (Tata uses a Hyundai gearbox) + cheaper.

- Lame Petrol AT.

- Weird variant planning. E.g. 6 airbags just with the AWD. Compare Seltos variants.

- Missed offering goodies at launch (auto wipers, headlamps). In comparison, Seltos offered more than the market expected (e.g. 360-degree camera, HUD).
Woah , I never looked at it that way, Sir, you sure know your trade extremely well!
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

What about Servicing? They must be getting that right too to sustain the initial success, (as word travels around pretty fast if that's not perfect). Usually, if that doesn't match up or if it's too expensive to maintain (Like VW found out) it's curtains. How is the product holding up in terms of parts longevity, cost of service, competent mechanics, etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless_IN View Post
Kia has done everything "PERFECT". Design - PERFECT for Indian Market (Bold and aggressive, cross-over SUV) Engineering - PERFECT (so far customers doesn't have any complaints) Product Planning - PERFECT (Indians need options to choose, and with a long list of configurations. Marketing - PERFECT
Old 2nd August 2020, 17:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

What a debut as a company!! Was on number 3 for some time in a price conscious mkt with not so cheap products (Carnival and Seltos) to begin with. Well planned approach with Seltos like:
  • Starting with a segment which has good potential since last 2-3 years
  • A wide price range for a single product
  • Multiple gearbox options to make almost every customer happy. Imagine they have 3 types of Auto GB when competition hardly gets one on time
  • Some what well spread of features across variants
  • Using a new platform before Hyundai with new Creta
  • Super wide and industry first features on a car

They truly deserve all the success they have achieved. Compare this to FCA which has Compass on sale since 3 years and yet catching up on features. This is when they had to build factory from scratch

I guess the next car from them after Sonet might be the i20 or Grand i10 competitor. Kia is surely on a roll !!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2020 at 18:26. Reason: Corrected minor typos.
Old 3rd August 2020, 18:13   #25
BHPian

Excellent work done by Kia. They have taken the market by storm. I hope this inspires them to bring the Stinger GT at some point.
Old 3rd August 2020, 19:21   #26
BHPian

If Kia can compete and crack the biggest Automotive market - USA they can do it here as well. In early 2000's Kia cars are considered to be a joke in USA. They were ugly looking, cheap and unreliable. Come 20 years, they are one of the best selling and best sought brand in US by the common man.
Old 4th August 2020, 11:48   #27
BHPian

It would not be an understatement that any Automaker desiring to enter India should take a leaf or two out of the Kia Strategy.

What a thunderous debut year the Kia has , despite being an international pandemic striking all the economies alike.

And the brilliance of the company lies in the sequence of the introduction of the vehicles, which is such an intelligent ploy , zeroed to to peg the psyche of the Indian buyers .

First, the Seltos, beginning from 9.69 L and providing the customers a huge deliberating window from abt 9.6 - 17 lakhs, by not only encashing the ubiquitous Urban SUV trend, but also drawing people who want to upgrade from c2 sedans . And amidst all this, Kia never made any attempt to market it as mass market automaker and retained the novice-foreign tag.

And Seltos becomes a roaring success trouncing the likes of Creta, a sales firecracker in its own rights.

Then they introduce the Luxury Behemoth - Carnival , a super premium choice that sits at a hefty 3 million price tag, drawing potential customers who always desired opulence coupled with space and apart from the Innova Crysta, there is no vehicle in the radar that even touches this requirement. And people who do not prefer the Rowdie(Butch) Fortuner/Endeavour would be automatically pulled to this Spacious MPV.

And with just about 1600 Carnival sales, KIA becomes the third largest automobile company in terms of sales, which is a fairy tale and still retains the PREMIUM Tag

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/kia-3r...model=MTYwNjM=

And now, the Sonet , a compact SUV , a prime segment already crowded by all the heavy weights and this contest would be interesting. Most likely, the success of the Sonet is predetermined ( barring a protracted covid effect) . No doubt, it's launch would pull the crowd and unless there's any super unforeseen situation, the novel and the premium tag would mint money for the company.

Last edited by poised2drive : 4th August 2020 at 11:50.
Old 4th August 2020, 20:16   #28
BHPian

India deserves better cars with better safety and features. KIA is spot on the pulse. people want to spend moolah, but is there an option? New brands understand the latent needs and fill the gap. i sincerely hope that the current players match up. Globally, KIA has some very successful models like the soul, Sorento and the Telluride. If they play their cards right, they may just be next big thing.
The new Carnival is awesome VFM. It will redefine the concept of luxury brands.
Old 4th August 2020, 21:25   #29

When I first saw the list of variants that the Seltos offers, my first question to the salesman was 'How are you able to remember this list?'
I guess that was their key differentiation factor in getting the sales numbers.
Also, a market like India always looks for fancy stand-out features for lesser price. I feel like it did to the vehicle market what Jio did to Telecom.
They have the right mix of variants for any type of customer.
Be it safety, features, engines, transmission - they have the mix for each enthusiast. That was the main reason people were ready to wait 1-2 months as it felt more customized to what you need.
When I visited, I liked it that the sales team were the only set who did not badmouth about the competitor, while the team in each and every other competitor I visited were talking more about others problems and not about their benefits.
From whatever I could see and hear from owner reviews, I believe Kia ASS is pretty decent when it comes to experience and cost.
Old 5th August 2020, 09:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic debut year for a fantastic car manufacturer. The product hits all the right notes in my books, with strong engine, great looks and loads of features. What remains to be seen and proved is the long term reliability of Kia cars offered in India, but given the close connection and lineage shared with Hyundai, that does not look to be circumspect. The current numbers are very strong, but just wait for the Sonet - these numbers will catapult into twice or even thrice these levels in my view.

Once the mechanical reliability of their cars are proved in the Indian context, I am going to be in line for the Sonet in the coming years to replace the second car in our garage.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th August 2020 at 10:38. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks