Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 15:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kia: 1 lakh sales up in India!

Kia has announced that it has sold more than 1 lakh vehicles in India in a record time of 11 months, since its debut last year.

Kia: 1 lakh sales up in India!-kia-motors.jpg

Kia entered the Indian market with the Seltos SUV in August 2019. Within just 2 months of its launch, the Seltos became the highest selling SUV in the segment. The carmaker has sold 97,745 units of the Seltos.

The Seltos is offered in two trim levels - Tech Line and GT Line. Last month, Kia updated the Seltos range and rejigged the variant line-up. The SUV is now priced from Rs. 9.89 lakh (ex-showroom).

Kia launched the Carnival MPV in February 2020. Till date, the carmaker has sold 3,614 units of the Carnival in India.

The Carnival comes in three variants - Premium, Prestige and Limousine and customers can opt for either 7, 8 or 9 seat configuration. Prices for the MPV start at Rs. 24.95 lakh (ex-showroom).

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 31st July 2020 at 21:57.
TusharK is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 16:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Kia: 1 lakh sales up in India!

Kia is a textbook example of how a new entrant should target to come to India.

Their numbers are going to get only better with the Sonet!
Shreyas_H is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 16:38   #3
BHPian

Wow, Kia has seriously observed the efforts of each & every manufacturer and has entered India with its best foot put forward. I haven't seen a manufacturer enter the Indian market with such aggression & intent, and subsequently succeeded at capturing the market.

Perhaps if Ford had targetted the hotselling segments when they'd entered India, with the cutesy Ford Ka as ammunition against the Maruti Zen, the going would've been a lot more difficult for Kia today?
BZ25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:41   #4
BHPian

Hats off Kia India ! Amazing performance and strategies by Korean duo.
1 lakh comes in 11 months, the 2 lakh milestone may come in another 6 or7 months soon after the Sonet launch.The design, engineering, production and marketing team did a marvelous job in making this history, along with the whole support by sister-Hyundai.
TorqueIndia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 19:36   #5
BHPian

Quite a feat considering the market condition in recent times. They are bettering what Hyundai did when they started and pulling the right strings of car buyers.

So, Kia - A textbook example of how to enter Indian car market.

Possible OT:
Jeep - A textbook example of how not to (enter Indian car market).
abhi_tjet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 20:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Kudos!! Is this a record for any company in India? Not sure if any other company has achieved this before. Experts please confirm.

They got benefit from Hyundai for sure, they knew market very well. Still they prepared well and made solid entry with good car in hot segment. We must appreciate their efforts. With more models coming, it's surely a alarming bell for other companies like Nissan, VW, Renault, Ford and even for that matter Honda. Hope others fight back.
Old 31st July 2020, 20:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post

So, Kia - A textbook example of how to enter Indian car market.

Possible OT:
Actually it's the otherway, yes I agree Kia took it to its peak but Compass was never slow. It sold about 42K units in its first 30months of existence in the Indian market , which is quite good for a premium priced new brand product with very limited dealer presence,only with around 70 sales points even after 3 years.

Also agree that Compass India sales is hard hit by its new competitions - Harrier, Hector , Seltos , Tucson, Karoq and Troc coupled with zero supporting product launches by Jeep India. Jeep launched a long list of variants and updates for the product though.

Every newcomer be it Kia or MG, they followed Jeep's PR & Marketing steps , but they need to practice it with consistency for long term benefits. Kia is about to launch its 3rd product-Sonet in just 12 months of existence in India , one each at every 6 months.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 31st July 2020 at 20:40.
TorqueIndia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 20:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Kia's entry, back then, had befuddled me. Now, I do admit that they had certainly done their homework. Imagine Hyundai (the sister company) has a best seller Creta starting at 9.99 Lakhs, and Seltos which underscores in every department against it - debuts at 9.69 Lakhs! That took some daring. I was about to write it off, seeing the 'Badass' campaign (How many would get that?), but the way they rolled it out was brilliant. They just captured the collective imagination of Indians with some unique features, thrown into a great product. It was a slow market then. They not only stood their ground against rival SUV's - but also made the most of it! Kudos
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 21:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Possible OT:
I am wondering what Jeep did wrong while entering India, didn't they also introduce a crossover SUV as their primary entrant in the market?
Old 31st July 2020, 21:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Kia: 1 lakh sales up in India!

Kia deserves the success its been getting and I had always thought that Kia will outdo most of the other international brands such as Ford, VW, Renault in a very short timeframe.

Another pleasant surprise is that the Carnival has actually sold in decent numbers considering its price. 3600 units this year, and when we have had almost negligible sales during nearly 3 months, a 35lakh plus MUV to sell these numbers says a lot about the credibility the brand has built in a very short time. Im sure that the new 2021 Carnival which has more SUV design cues will even do better.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 21:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree with your assessment, and am positive about the new Carnival
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Im sure that the new 2021 Carnival which has more SUV design cues will even do better.
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 22:22   #12
BHPian

I'm glad with their success, and i always convey my heartful gratitude towards Kia for giving 15000+ direct jobs and few tens of thousands indirect jobs\business in my state Andhra Pradesh!

Though im looking for a car in same segment as Seltos, I didnt like the version i get for my money. Thats different story!
ramki.grandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 23:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Truly a great story in the Indian market. Kia definitely made the best use of the right product, Hyundai's experience, and built the network of dealers to provide the customer with the best possible experience. Kia has built a brand in India. Wouldn't hurt to launch the K5 (Corolla/Civic/Octavia competitor) to expand their market reach.

I've never stepped into a Kia showroom in India, but all my friends in Bangalore tell me that it is like the Toyota showroom experience. Also possible because they have only the Seltos to focus on at this moment, hope it never changes though

It'll be an interesting next few years with Maruti-Toyota, Hyundai-Kia, and the Chinese upping the game. If the economic situation persists, competition from the big boys will tighten the noose around the neck of the weak brands.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 00:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I am wondering what Jeep did wrong while entering India, didn't they also introduce a crossover SUV as their primary entrant in the market?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Kia is about to launch its 3rd product-Sonet in just 12 months of existence in India , one each at every 6 months.
TorqueIndia has given the reason. Jeep is following what FIAT did and look where it went. Jeep is playing with single mass market product since last 3 years. Single product portfolio isn't good enough to keep market abuzz in recent times.

PS - I suppose this is OT for this thread and please excuse me since I brought this up.
Old 1st August 2020, 01:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

A well deserved milestone! Truly a extremely well thought out and well priced product that reveals the customer insight that KIA manage to collect.

Contrast it with players like Jeep, VW and the rest of the European and American brands that still do not show much sign of getting any better. There is still a lot of play in the market for dedicated players who are willing to listen to Indian customers.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks