Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2007, 20:28   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are all three models 1.1 variants, what about 1.6 sports or Adventure?
What I heard is that new Palio will be available with both 1.1 and 1.6 versions!
But we need to wait for the launch on April-2nd for the confirmation.
Old 26th March 2007, 23:24   #77

Vivek Mishra

The confirmed weight of new fiat palio 1.1 is 990 Kg just 35 Kg less then the older 1.2 the weight reduction is mainly because of reduce engine weight from 1.2 to 1.1 & it is producing 57 bhp with Max Torque of 92 Nm @ 2750 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If the new palio is <900kgs then what you stated above will most probably will be also be true.

Btw, anybody can confirm if New Palio's kerb weight has really been reduced to that extent?
Old 26th March 2007, 23:36   #78

Vivek Mishra

Hi Guys,
BHP is not very important for cars nowadays. The important is the torque & at what RPM it is available. New Palio may be delivering ony 57 (Not 54 BHP) for its 1.1 engine but it is developing 92 NM of torque at only 2750 RPM which is very good in comparing other cars in its segment like Santro, Wagon r , Estilo etc. I feel driveability of New palio will be better in city condition as compared to earlyer 1.2 palio & also in highways only the maximum speed will be reduced slightly.

Happy Riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@All.... the interiors are still a hell lot better than Wagon R, Santro, Estilo's and to some extent the spartan interiors on a Swift VXi. Besides I dont take this thinner sheet theory... the reduced weight would be due to a smaller engine and no way a palio can be below 900 kgs. I for one like the exteriors styling a lot, its fresher without going too overboard. And its a comprehensive change unlike headlight tail light job most companies do.

My only problem with the car is 54 BHP.. isnt it too low considering its a 1.1 engine same as Wagon R and Santro and both of them generate 64 bhp.
Old 27th March 2007, 10:38   #79
Senior - BHPian

Man even diesel car's have better power to weight ratio than this one... are we going backwards. 57BHP for a 1 tonne car is too low IMHO. Imagine with a full load and AC on highway, its gonna be a struggle all along. Besides the palio forte is the highway, where the new one will dissapoint badly. This wont even score brownie points on the spec sheet when some prospective customer compares it with the likes of Santro or Wagon R. Jeeeez more power FIAT... atleast 64 BHP.
Old 27th March 2007, 11:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
This thread is about Fiat Stile and not Stilo. Did anyone mentioned about Stilo before ? I may have missed it. Pictures for reference..

.. was on the lighter side
Buddy.. The thread is about new Fiat Palio.. Check the heading. That doesnt mean I cant mention another car with a similar sounding name and made by the same manufacturer. Besides that, the New Palio takes after the squarish design of the Stilo, unlike the Grande Punto (Opps.. there u go.. I just mentioned another car without ur permission ).
Old 27th March 2007, 11:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Buddy.. The thread is about new Fiat Palio.. Check the heading. That doesnt mean I cant mention another car with a similar sounding name and made by the same manufacturer. Besides that, the New Palio takes after the squarish design of the Stilo, unlike the Grande Punto (Opps.. there u go.. I just mentioned another car without ur permission ).
Quote:
new Fiat Palio
its called Stile. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
That doesnt mean I cant mention another car with a similar sounding name
I never said that you cannot ...

Quote:
the New Palio takes after the squarish design of the Stilo
I agree .. its common brothers and sisters of same family do resemble

I repeat it was on lighter side ...

Quote:
I think it is Stilo , not Stile?
I commented on this ( jokingly ).. was not challenging your knowledge about cars.... I think I was driving a different car

Last edited by navdeep : 27th March 2007 at 11:51.
Old 27th March 2007, 12:51   #82
BHPian

re: Weight + or - 900 Kg????

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulprints View Post
The confirmed weight of new fiat palio 1.1 is 990 Kg just 35 Kg less then the older 1.2 the weight reduction is mainly because of reduce engine weight from 1.2 to 1.1 & it is producing 57 bhp with Max Torque of 92 Nm @ 2750 rpm.

Can u please let us know, from where u sourced this information.
Most of the reviews say that the weight is within 900 Kgs.
Fiat Palio 1100-- Automotive News
Old 27th March 2007, 13:29   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulprints View Post
Hi Guys,
BHP is not very important for cars nowadays. The important is the torque & at what RPM it is available. New Palio may be delivering ony 57 (Not 54 BHP) for its 1.1 engine but it is developing 92 NM of torque at only 2750 RPM which is very good in comparing other cars in its segment like Santro, Wagon r , Estilo etc. I feel driveability of New palio will be better in city condition as compared to earlyer 1.2 palio & also in highways only the maximum speed will be reduced slightly.

Happy Riding.
Santro develops 98NM@3000 rpm and Xeta does 123Nm@3200 rpm. And both are under 900 kgs - Go figure.
Old 27th March 2007, 14:34   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
Santro develops 98NM@3000 rpm and Xeta does 123Nm@3200 rpm. And both are under 900 kgs - Go figure.
Higher torque at lower rpm is what makes it more drivable in the city conditions since thats where you will be on lower rpms....

The torque at 2750rpm for these cars is what matters...
Old 27th March 2007, 14:48   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Higher torque at lower rpm is what makes it more drivable in the city conditions since thats where you will be on lower rpms....The torque at 2750rpm for these cars is what matters...
I thought modern cars have rather flat torque curves, especially near to its peak torque. Also, who says torque @ 2750 RPM is all that matters for city driver? I have seen most people changing up roughly around 2000 RPM.
Old 27th March 2007, 14:57   #86
BHPian

Its the torque spread across rev range thats more important IMO.

That gives more driveability in city conditions as well as highways.

Does anyone have Santro and Estilo torque/rpm graphs?

Also, can we compare the torque/bhp graphs of palio 1.6 vis-a-vis of Fiesta 1.6, City Vtec, Verna 1.6 along with weights of the respective cars?

Car Owners please share their data from manuals?
Old 27th March 2007, 15:06   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
I thought modern cars have rather flat torque curves, especially near to its peak torque. Also, who says torque @ 2750 RPM is all that matters for city driver? I have seen most people changing up roughly around 2000 RPM.

as a matter of fact that is the perfect rpm to change the gears for better FE. Many people even change at even lower rpms. Best range for peak torque is between 1800RPM to 3000RPM. After that anyway you will be at a much higher speed and torque wont be that essential
Old 27th March 2007, 15:34   #88
Senior - BHPian

If the car returns 14kmpl with A/C in City driving then :

1. Fiat has a potential winner. The car wouldn't start flying out of showrooms for a few months until the car's FE figures become public through word of mouth. But eventually it will or rather it should, helped with a little bit of innovative marketing. How about a Palio mileage drive? Nothing works better then that!

2. The dull interiors and ugly beige treatment wouldn't matter to the buyer.

3. Even if Fiat have reduced the weight to under 900 kgs it wouldn't matter to the buyer. Remember the car is in a segment where looks, build quality, handling etc don't matter at all. Santro, Wagon R, Alto, Zen Estilo are all examples of cars that are basic transportation things and they sell very well. Of course, the Palio will NEVER come close to the Alto or Santro's sales figures but four figure sales every month are achieveable. Right now, I am sure Fiat will be more then happy to see 2500-3000 units selling every month. Wonder what their internal sales targets are or if they even have one!

4. 54bhp and torque at rpm levels wouldn't matter. In this segment, a good engine and a good car is a fuel efficient car. Buyers don't mind changing gears or a sluggish car as long as they get good mileage. Mind you the key word is "don't mind' which means buyers will happily compromise driveablity for slightly better mileage.

5. I suspect Fiat may even get away with a bit of shoddy after sales service. A nice diesel Palio can still give sleepless nights to competition but I guess Fiat really loves MUL, Hyundai etc.

6. If the car is really priced with Santro and Wagon R then it's a great buy. Despite the ugly beige steering and the dull interiors. IMO, the new Palio is easily the best looker in that segment and will also be the best built. And lets not forget the car's segment leading ride quality and handling.

For the sake of the Indian car buyer, I hope Fiat has got it right this time.

I am getting the feeling that Fiat is finally beginning to understand the Indian car buyer. If I was MUL or Hyundai, I'd be worried. Very worried.

PS: Why are we arguing over bhp, torque, rpm levels, weight etc? In a few days, we will all know the full specs of the car. So relax guys!

Last edited by amit : 27th March 2007 at 15:52.
Old 27th March 2007, 15:38   #89
Senior - BHPian

City driving does not need all the torque or HP to be available at lower rpms. This also makes the car fuel efficient since you are not unnecessarily using power. You just may have to change gears a little bit.
Old 27th March 2007, 15:53   #90
BHPian

Fiat Palio

Hi Friends,

I m proud to see a big fan following for Fiat cars. (I own a 2000 model Fiat Siena 1.7 TD). I had a Fiat Palio 1.2 in 2002, sold it in 2005 after driving 30K KMs.

The new Palio exterior looks good, but the interiors is sad looking. I think the full black one in my car looks better. I cant believe how they ended up doing such a yucky biege combo.

Fiat cars are generally good, sturdy and comfortable, but on a longer run I find them to be too expensive to maintain. I have done around 105000 KMs on my car so far. Till 70 K KM the car was absolutely maintenance free (I think other fiat friends are driving in this range), from 70 - 105K, I have spent Rs. 120000 (excl tyres, regular service, etc). About 30k can be attributed to an accident repair but eveything else is sheer maintenance. You dont get parts, like I damaged my A/c compressor in a hit and is still not fixed after spending 15k on it alone.

My partners (two) drive Fiat Palio D which they bought in 2004, both of them so far have spent 70K on maintenance...all mostly because of under chasis hits, pump problems, etc. The spare part price and availability takes all owners for a ride.

The driving and road handling is good no doubt, but its a white elephant to maintain over a longer timeframe so dont get taken away by the experience in the honeymoon period (first 50k KMs).

Anyways this if purely "my" opinion after owning 2 Fiats in the last five years and hearing from my partners who own 2 more. This might not be the case for all cars may be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks