Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen) today?
Yes 82 25.63%
No 238 74.38%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2020, 14:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)

With the new Thar unveil on 15/8, we feel it's an opportune time to take a look at the outgoing model. The Mahindra Thar was launched in 2010 & has enjoyed a decade-long run in India. It was a revelation because here was a Jeep that looked like an MM550, but offered highway cruiseability & a comfier suspension. Of course, solid-axle lovers scoffed at the Thar's (on-road oriented) independent front suspension. Nevertheless, this no nonsense 4x4 has a strong fan following and has sold 600 - 700 units in several months.

Positives

• Retro Jeep styling. Butch design & image
• Solid combination of engine, gearbox & chassis
• Enough power & torque for effortless highway cruising (unlike older Jeeps & Gypsys)
• Nippy power steering, zero turbo-lag & air-conditioning make light work of driving in the city
• Comfy & livable ride quality (again, unlike the bumpy old Jeeps & Gypsys)
• Offroad competency will exceed the needs of most owners. 2015+ models got a lockable rear diff too
• An old school Jeep with spare part & labour support from authorised service stations
• Maintenance & part costs are either cheap or reasonable

Negatives

• Cheap, appalling interior quality. Fit, finish and rough edges are a letdown
• Niggles, issues & rust are a given. You have to live with them
• Absence of lockable hardtop makes the Thar impractical for daily use
• Complicated front IFS has offroad limitations. Expensive to repair if damaged
• Driver ergonomics are messed up (pedal position, off-center steering etc.)
• Nervous steering feel over 100 km/h
• Inconsistent M&M service support
• Next-gen Thar is being unveiled in a week

Related Threads

Official Review, 2015 Facelift

BlackPearl's Sherpa - Thar CRDe 4x4

Thar niggles, issues and solutions

abhikb's Mahindra Thar 700

navsjab's Red Rhino

Western Arunachal in a Thar

Bangalore to Spiti in a Thar

Taking the Thar to the Thar desert

Mahindra Thar - Solid Axle Conversion

Hard-Top options

Thar vs Gypsy

Mod Potential:

Superb! With endless customization options available, no two enthusiast-owned Thars are the same. Lots of functional, aesthetic & offroad upgrades possible. Hardtop conversion too.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)-16508171_1249197905116517_3446679478993287141_n.jpg
Source: RedFox Autocare via 4x4India

Availability:

Excellent. Because it sold well (for a 4x4) and many owners tire of it within 3 years (just like Harley-Davidsons), you'll see several examples in your budget. $$$ ranges from 4 lakhs to highly customized ones going for 8 lakhs (or more). Note that the Thar was also sold with an MDI engine (link to review), but it wouldn't be our pick as it is slower & less urban India-friendly. Also avoid earlier models without the factory-fitted air conditioner. 2015 facelift models brought loads of improvements and as is the case with all Mahindras - the later the model, the better engineered it is (as customers are part of their R&D department ).

Check out the many examples on sale - link

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)-images1080x108010.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)-images1080x108011.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)-images1080x108012.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)-images1080x108013.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 7th August 2020 at 15:38.
blackwasp is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 11:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Because I love Jeeps & own an old-school one, the Thar greatly appeals to me. If I didn't already own a '97 Classic, this Thar would be parked down my house. I love how it retains classic Jeep characteristics, yet can be a daily-driver with the air-con, power steering, sweet engine & comfy suspension (drive my Jeep and your teeth will end up rearranged ). I have voted Yes! If I was in the market for a cheap 4x4 or 2nd car for 4 - 6 lakhs, this would be my choice. That said, I don't have a strict budget cap and if I actually wanted to buy another Jeep, it would be the 2nd-gen Thar which I have heard a lot about, and will be vastly improved in every way.

Whenever I see BlackPearl's Thar travelogues, I go green with envy. There is a certain romance in cruising with a Jeep in rural India.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)-thar_sumitro.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)-annotation-20200807-110653.png
Source
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 11:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Solid NO

Simply too crude, unrefined, impractical and expensive to be considered for anything more than a whim or a hobby.

I get that there are those who want a Thar and will only get a Thar. I do not belong to that category. No mater where you go touring, you will actually NEED a Thar for only 0.1% of situations. I have much better options to choose from for 4 to 8 lakhs, both new and used.

Last edited by SDP : 9th August 2020 at 05:10. Reason: Typo
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 11:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Solid NO from my side too. I bought one new and sold it in less than a year.
Biggest grouse for me was that messed up ergonomics.

I guess, the last iteration of it, which had the newer interiors probably addressed this.
starter is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 11:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

After a lifetime of hatchbacks and sedans i picked up my first used scorpio in 2018 and then had to buy a second used scorpio in 2019 after the first one got stolen.

While I might not buy the older Thar, the upcoming new Thar has better fit and finish and more creature comforts inside, and I’m giving it serious consideration as my next ride instead of the new Scorpio - which seems to have lost a lot of its original character with the new version.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

The only experience I had with the THAR, was the GOA rental.

All of my friends were excited to be a part of the drive. By the end of a 30 minute drive, myself (as driver) and all passengers were keen to return the car and get a Swift as rental!

On roads, there is nothing that a Thar can do which any hatchback cant. I have not understood the need of a 4x4 for a majority of us. Unless you go hardcore offroading, any 2WD car with good GC does well (with a decent enough driver).
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 11:46   #7
BHPian

Voted Yes!

Can someone post the upgrades which happened over the years? Specially between the very first bare bones non-ac version in 2010 and facelift version of 2015? One which I remember was the addition of AC where Mahindra had even said sorry for messing up. There were few mechanical upgrades as well. But unsure which year got which upgrades.

This would help to select a particular year for hunting in the used car market.
Old 7th August 2020, 11:51   #8
BHPian

Voted NO.

2nd gen uocoming Thar is much improved and refined, and comes with front facing rear seats. Also, I prefer automatic transmission.

But, if 2nd gen Thar was not to be launched in the next 3-4 years (would have waited 2-3 years for 2nd gen since I am not a die-hard fan of Thar), I would have certainly gone for an used 1st gen for 5-6 lakhs. To feel the charm of a vehicle like Thar, even though I might have sold that in a year or two. Yes, it is crude and is certainly not free of niggles, but would have bought one just to tick it off off my wishlist!
Old 7th August 2020, 11:52   #9
BHPian

Voted No. When I applied for a Team-BHP membership, I answered that the Thar was my favorite vehicle currently available in India. I said so as it was one car which completely changed my opinion of it, once I got to feel it in person. A very close friend of mine replaced his 2012 Verna Diesel SX(O) with a Thar in 2014. I was shocked and to an extent disappointed with his decision until the day I drove it for the first time. Because at that point it was like "Oh, now I get it". Over the next 3.5 years I clocked quite a bit of mileage in the Thar both as a driver and a passenger and even daily drove it for close to 5 months when we were working at Kochi. So it's safe to say I know how it feels to live with one.

First gen Thar is an excellent car for the driver, an acceptable one for the front passenger and a nightmare for anyone who is unlucky enough to be in the rear. And I'm talking with experience on one with converted front facing rear seats. As much as I love it, I wouldn't put my money on one in 2020. I've seen first hand the price you pay for the ownership. And for me, it's a bit too much at this point in my life. Especially after seeing the changes made in the second gen one. Maybe a few years down the road, I might take look at a used second gen example as a reminder of the good old days. But for now, I'll give it a pass.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Mahindra Thar (1st-gen)-img_20170212_152251.jpg

One car that is worthy of Mahindra's title 'Live young, Live free'

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 7th August 2020 at 11:57.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 11:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Thar would be a good investment.
It's a pleasant change to see the Bangalore prices just slightly more than the delhi prices. However good luck finding a post 2015 model at 4 Lakhs. Most of the ads are 7 lakhs plus.
But if you can pick up a cheap piece, strap on some go faster bits like lights and alloys and sell it at a premium. Many selling at 12-15 Lakhs.
Old 7th August 2020, 12:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

God no! I get the nostalgia but thats about it. I sat in one and it was unbelievably bad even as a passenger. Rickety and Old came to my mind.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 12:02   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted "NO" only because it said "1st gen". By first gen - I assume this means the original one that didn't even have an AC.

If there is a piece available at a reasonable price with a hard-top and AC - I'll buy one. I have driven the Thar plenty (And have also taken it mild off-roading). Absolutely everyone in the car hated it with some even getting car-sick in urban confines. At the wheel - I was just .
I enjoy opening, fiddling, modifying & just studying machines / cars. A THAR or any jeep is the holy grail when it comes to modding / fiddling. Possibilities are near endless & DIY maintenance is a bliss. Thar lets you do it all by your own hands, skill & tools. What more can a DIY person ask for.

So - YES if there is a piece with hard-top & AC. Both are a must for me. My parking is on street under trees, so soft top isn't an option. If they'd launched the last limited edition Thar with a hard top - I'd have bought it, it was a done deal.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th August 2020 at 12:05.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 12:27   #13
BHPian

Voted YES under specific conditions,

1. If it were my second or third car in the garage, and not primary
2. If I had ample money kept aside in case of emergency breakdowns.

These do command great respect in the lands I dwell. Therefore will need to hunt wisely, prices are absurdly high in pre-owned markets for a majority lot of unworthy pieces.

Quoting myself from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
I am from Rajasthan where Jeeps are aspirational vehicles as they have been in the garages of every yesteryear ruling kings and still are well maintained members of their garages. Even recently the prince of Udaipur took delivery of his Thar 700 from Anand Mahindra himself and takes pride driving it all by himself despite owning modern day Porsches, Jaguars, Range Rovers and an entire vintage car museum. So there's certainly a royal factor to some extent as well. There is a huge crowd of people who own vintage jeeps just to 'get the feels' and at times, being perceived as royal. So its not only jacked up jeeps that get attention.

I clearly remember a day when I was in one such 'open jeep', and we stopped somewhere roadside. A motorcade of an MLA passed by, and , while everyone else was looking at him and his motorcade, the MLA himself, a respected person, was looking out of the window to the jeep which I was sitting in, till it was visible. Heck, he even kinda turned his head back to admire the beauty till it was in line of sight.

Says a lot about aspirational value and why the Thar has a big potential customer base in Rajasthan. All Mahindra needs to do is ensure a great product for those who might want to keep it as their only car and not 2nd or third recreational vehicle with some creature comforts throw in tu lure such urban masses to go 'retro'.

PS: This was the exact same day and this was the Jeep
Attachment 2015388

While the one's in discussion is not a Thar, but anything that comes as a Jeep has great aspirational value.

100% sure a new 2nd Gen Thar prices will be much much higher than a pre owned well maintained reasonable specimen. However In case I had that kind of money, will surely go for 2nd Gen
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 12:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Voted BIG NO.

If i have to buy it as my fifth or sixth car, then only I will buy Mahindra Thar. It looks good on road and story mostly ends there. No driving pleasure, can't carry your family in comfort are enough to say No.
Old 7th August 2020, 12:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes!

If I had spare cash, I would love to buy one as a secondary car for weekend drives mostly! This, or a pre-worshipped Gypsy though I love the addictive of the 2.5L CRDe motor.

A friend and BHPian owns one as his primary car and has covered almost a lakh kms on it, including non-stop 1100 km trips! Whenever I am in town, I look for a chance to drive his car for a day and two. It brings in extreme feelings - crude machine but invincible driver

The engine is very good for city drive and highway cruise, barring a little turbo lag. With my 6ft stature, I find it difficult to get a comfortable driving posture but the overall experience makes me forget everything and I start feeling like a kid with his favourite toy.

Trivia:
Once I took his car to my office. Trust me when I say, I haven't seen so many people staring at me in a whole week (or maybe month) as they did that day. I made new friends that day in my office and my apartment complex, people who were curious to know about the mighty THAR!

On another occasion, I went to pick my wife from the airport in his car. It took her a good 30 seconds to believe what I was driving before she got into the car. She complained it was not comfortable and yet, she loved the ride that day.

Last edited by ashis89 : 7th August 2020 at 12:45.
ashis89 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks