Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 12:10   #211
BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Saying it again - to me it looked larger and beefier than the Brezza with amazing road presence. If you have been holding out for this, I can confirm you are making the right call!
I guess the small size was one of the cons of the Venue, and was kinda expecting the same for the Sonet (being a nearly-identical car). But this comes as a big surprise and I hope it does turn out to look atleast a size similar to Brezza, if not more! I simply love the Brezza's size for a SC-SUV, and if sized similarly, the Sonet will look smashing IMHO.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 13:33   #212
BHPian

Thank you Mods for approving my membership. My first post and I believe this would be a useful one for me and others here. Have been following this thread closely and I have an observation which I believe will be clarified by the fellow members. Upon viewing many pictures from the unveiling event and other set disclosed as mid variant spy pics, which one of our members identified it as LHS oriented vehicle and possibly could be one to be exported to other markets. In the same picture I find that the car is equipped with a more useful rear bumper with some protrusion outside rather than the namesake bumper present in Indian version. If this turns out to be true are we not compromising so much on the safety perspective. And yes I could see this trend in more cars launched recently but based on my driving experience(Swift and i20, both 1st gen and equipped with proper rear bumper) I found the rear bumper to be more useful. A simple rear ending on cars with this new trend can have a direct impact on the tailgate.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-picsart_081507.35.16.jpg  

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-picsart_081601.32.02.jpg  

bwildrd#1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 17:19   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Thank you Mods for approving my membership. My first post and I believe this would be a useful one for me and others here. Have been following this thread closely and I have an observation which I believe will be clarified by the fellow members. Upon viewing many pictures from the unveiling event and other set disclosed as mid variant spy pics, which one of our members identified it as LHS oriented vehicle and possibly could be one to be exported to other markets. In the same picture I find that the car is equipped with a more useful rear bumper with some protrusion outside rather than the namesake bumper present in Indian version. If this turns out to be true are we not compromising so much on the safety perspective. And yes I could see this trend in more cars launched recently but based on my driving experience(Swift and i20, both 1st gen and equipped with proper rear bumper) I found the rear bumper to be more useful. A simple rear ending on cars with this new trend can have a direct impact on the tailgate.
This has got to do with the stupid Govt. norms of sub 4 metres. In order to gain the excise benefit, this is the kinda trimming that happens. For that matter, even the Hyundai Venue is close to 4.1m internationally liberating more legroom in the rear too.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 18:11   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
This has got to do with the stupid Govt. norms of sub 4 metres. In order to gain the excise benefit, this is the kinda trimming that happens. For that matter, even the Hyundai Venue is close to 4.1m internationally liberating more legroom in the rear too.
Yes sir. I'm completely aware of the sub 4m rule. Sorry I should have mentioned that in my post. And thank you for the information on Venue, I didn't know that. While we can appreciate manufacturers for bringing more features to small cars but on the other side, compromise like this Personally this seems a major concern and deciding factor during purchase. Wanted to see others' opinion on this particular design and whether one should actually see this as a concern or I'm overthinking.

P.S: Don't want to include aftermarket bumper/other options to this conversation and go off-topic. Would also request mods to reject this comment if this seems irrelevant to this thread.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 22:11   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Personally this seems a major concern and deciding factor during purchase. Wanted to see others' opinion on this particular design and whether one should actually see this as a concern or I'm overthinking.

P.S: Don't want to include aftermarket bumper/other options to this conversation and go off-topic.
Manufacturers spend millions on R&D to ensure that the car meets or exceeds the specified local safety standards. Rest assured, a chopped off rear bumper should be the least of your concerns while buying a car.
If it does bother you, there are plenty of other options to decide and choose from.
Porschefire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 09:42   #216
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet brochure leaked

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-smartselect_20200817093308_chrome.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-smartselect_20200817093255_chrome.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-smartselect_20200817093318_chrome.jpg

https://www.rushlane.com/kia-sonet-b...-12371006.html
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 10:51   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Don't know why the AC instrument panel buttons look quite out of place, not very premium as compared to the overall interior which look so upmarket. Attachment 2039691
Seriously! It looks like the designers forgot to integrate the vent-console-dashboard design and rectified it last minute by adding something from the second hand after market!
Reminds me of Mr. Bean's "restoration" of the painting of Whistlers mother!
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20ylpn.jpg  

Zen2001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:03   #218
BHPian

A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Kia Sonet brochure leaked
The variant build up is not readable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Seriously! It looks like the designers forgot to integrate the vent-console-dashboard design and rectified it last minute by adding something from the second hand after market!
Reminds me of Mr. Bean's "restoration" of the painting of Whistlers mother!
I know but not many members have pointed this out. Is it only us that feel the AC console is badly designed?
Old 17th August 2020, 11:28   #219
BHPian

The AC switches look bad. Add the center vents and it goes from bad to aftermarket. Does not go well with the rest of the interior.
Also, I don't like the way the large touchscreen sticks out of the dash. The Seltos has it the same way too. Maybe I'm old school and there are many takers in the market for this design now. However, the Creta interior with the same touchscreen seems much better integrated to the dash.
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:38   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I find that the car is equipped with a more useful rear bumper with some protrusion outside rather than the namesake bumper present in Indian version. If this turns out to be true are we not compromising so much on the safety perspective. And yes I could see this trend in more cars launched recently but based on my driving experience(Swift and i20, both 1st gen and equipped with proper rear bumper) I found the rear bumper to be more useful. A simple rear ending on cars with this new trend can have a direct impact on the tailgate.
Well, the issue is not selling a substandard product in India but it's more to do so with the sub 4 meters rule. Sonet is also nearly 4 meters, maybe less by 1 to 5 mm. So the bumpers are the one that need to be trimmed rather than trimming the whole car. For Swift and i20, they were shorter than 4 meters so bumpers could be more in depth.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:00   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
The AC switches look bad. Add the center vents and it goes from bad to aftermarket. Does not go well with the rest of the interior.
Also, I don't like the way the large touchscreen sticks out of the dash. The Seltos has it the same way too. Maybe I'm old school and there are many takers in the market for this design now. However, the Creta interior with the same touchscreen seems much better integrated to the dash.
Very true. The AC layout is the final nail in the coffin.

As you said, about the Seltos's dash, I was wondering all along if I was the only one that thought that it looked as if the designers had stuck a 32" (that too, a thick one) LCD TV, especially when one looks at it from outside - the whole outline from top corner to corner looks exactly like that!

In fact this was my main grouse, that made me look at the Creta inspite of its love it or hate it exteriors. It definitely has a much well integrated interior especially the dash, and that is the thing that is going to be in my eyes most of the time!
Zen2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 18:26   #222
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Few clicks of the official brochure.

These are probably a little more clear than the Rushlane watermarked pictures.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-screenshot_2020081718084501.jpeg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-screenshot_2020081718094801.jpeg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-screenshot_2020081718085001.jpeg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-screenshot_2020081718112701.jpeg
]
//M is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 18:37   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Few clicks of the official brochure.

These are probably a little more clear than the Rushlane watermarked pictures.
Thanks sir. These were much better.

One thing that immediately seems bad is ESC, VSM, HAC, Traction Control and Multi drive modes only in HTK+ for Turbo Petrol + 7DCT but not in the 1.5D + 6AT?

Especially when the GTX+ variant with Diesel automatic has it. The cost for both these combo's should be the around the same. Don't understand why Kia would want to shortchange the Diesel customers.
Old 17th August 2020, 18:38   #224
BHPian

From the brochure, it looks like the diesel AT is only offered in the HTK+ trim. Please let me know if I'm reading it wrong.A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet.png
Old 17th August 2020, 18:53   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoker View Post
From the brochure, it looks like the diesel AT is only offered in the HTK+ trim. Please let me know if I'm reading it wrong.Attachment 2044093
It is also mentioned for the GTX+ trim too - see the left side column. So as per this brochure (whatever we can read), looks like HTK+ and GTX+ variants will get the Diesel AT combo. I guess it should cover most buyers needs and if priced well, should be able to gather substantial sales and even take away some sales from the Seltos too.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks