Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2020, 13:14   #256

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Was planning to buy Hyundai Venue in the next few weeks. Is it worth the wait for Kia Sonet as I almost see the same specs and pricing.

Please advise.

Last edited by navin : 19th August 2020 at 13:51. Reason: typos
Old 19th August 2020, 13:43   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster_m View Post
Was planning to buy Hyundai Venue in the next few weeks... Is it worth the wait for Kia Sonet as i almost see the same specs and pricing.

Please advise...
Yes absolutely. Wait for the price announcement. If you need a manual turbo, the Sonet doesn’t have one. I would advise to wait till the official price list is confirmed.
Xaos636 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 14:00   #258
BHPian

Apart from Side looks, I love the looks from all angles. And it definitely looks a sub-4m from side. From front, one might confuse it for a bigger SUV. Though, even today, segment-starter Ecosport looks best to me, followed by Venue.

Personally, I find interiors look a bit toy'ish (those BIG centre aircon vents) but my perception might change once I sit in one. From the pictures, it appears Brezza, Nexon, XUV300 are more spacious.

One should definitely hold the purchase in this segment and range, till its launch. Afterall, its certainly a very good product from Kia, engine/ transmission wise and features wise.
Old 19th August 2020, 14:38   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Was planning to buy Hyundai Venue in the next few weeks. Is it worth the wait for Kia Sonet as I almost see the same specs and pricing.

Please advise.
Definitely, the Korean sisters tend to outdo each other in the features that they offer with slight different setup's for their steering feedback, suspension setups etc. Might as well wait for the Sonet prices to be announced if you are not in a hurry (there might be an extended waiting period though if the car clicks with consumers).
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 14:55   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Bit surprised by a couple of Kia's decisions:
  • Not to offer MT at all with the 1.0 tGDI engines. They only have iMT or DCT paired to this engine. The iMT is unproven in India still - Hyundai Venue has just introduced it and there are no professional reviews or real life user experience data available. For a volume car, this seems to be a risky way to go. The silver lining is that the IMT is available with the mid HTX and HTX+ variants, where a DCT is not available. So for buyers looking for features such as cruise control, LED headlamps, Push-button start, bigger touch-screen, etc. it should offer near-auto convenience at a reasonable price point.
  • To offer the Diesel AT with the same engine tune as the Seltos. Most buyers would be fully satisfied with the 100 PS, 240NM tune of the motor - being such as small car, they really would not miss the full scale 115 PS, 250 NM motor tune. This will result in some cannibalization of Seltos sales - those buyers who want a powerful Diesel Auto but not really looking for a large vehicle and preferring the convenience of a smaller car, would now go toward the Sonet. (BTW, I am glad they are indeed offering this motor on the Sonet, and I am keenly interested in the Sonet Diesel Auto as a replacement for my 7 year old Ecosport TDCI Manual, since I am starting to develop aches and pains driving an MT over long distances)

I see the Sonet doing some brisk sales due to a few USPs:
  • Only proper Diesel Auto with TC in the Compact SUV Segment
  • Wide range of engine and transmission options catering to a broad price segment from say 7.5 - 12.5 lakhs (my wild guess here)
  • The only compact SUV to have such a massive 10.25 inch touch-screen, this is a feature with much "show-off" value among the younger buyers, the prime target market.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th August 2020 at 14:58.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 15:05   #261
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Was planning to buy Hyundai Venue in the next few weeks. Is it worth the wait for Kia Sonet as I almost see the same specs and pricing. Please advise.
One of my friend who's also confused asked the local dealer in TN. He says Sonet iMT (equivalent to SX(O) of venue) will be delivered around September last only. So he went ahead and booked Venue yesterday. Delivery within a week. But in my opinion, if you like clean looks it has to be venue. Love the car esp the rear for it's simple yet timeless looks. Anyway if you're not in a hurry then suggestion is to wait until Sept mid and third week atleast to have a look at Sonet in person. By then who knows you get better bargain on venue too.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 15:10   #262
BHPian

When will Kia reveal the prices for the Sonet? I dislike this ongoing trend of a deferred price reveal that is followed by all the car manufacturers these days.
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 19:32   #263
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the detailed 'Review' A much awaited model and Kia hasn't disappointed much.
This, however brings a lot confusion to me. I had already made up my mind for Nexon XM P MT. Now should I look for a 1.0L DCT HTK+ or 1.5L HTK+ MT? I would need to sacrifice the ESP, HDA and may be the larger rear seat capacity from Nexon. But I will get the Height adjustable drv seat, Touchscreen ICE, EATC etc. Is that worth to wait?
Can someone also comment on the reliability of DCT please?
Old 19th August 2020, 20:18   #264
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet pre-bookings open on August 20

Kia will officially open its order books for the Sonet from August 20, 2020. Customers will be able to book the Sonet online or at Kia dealerships across India. The booking amount has been set at Rs. 25,000.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-4.jpg

The Sonet was unveiled earlier this month. The sub-4 meter SUV shares its underpinnings with the Hyundai Venue. In India, it will be offered in two trim levels - Tech Line and GT Line.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-2.jpg

The top-spec GT Line trim gets a dual-tone exterior with red highlights. It features a tiger nose grille finished in gloss black, LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and slim LED tail light clusters with a reflector bar running between them. The car rides on 16-inch alloy wheels.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-3.jpg

Kia will offer the Sonet with a 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit that is compatible with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and has UVO Connect (voice assist, telematics and 57 other features). It also has features such as a digital speedometer, wireless charging with cooling function, ventilated front seats, 7-speaker Bose audio system, ambient lighting, automatic climate control with rear air-conditioner vents and an air purifier, sunroof, and cruise control.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-1-1.jpg

The Kia Sonet will be available with three engine options. These include a 1.0-litre turbo petrol, 1.2-litre, naturally aspirated petrol and a 1.5-litre diesel engine. The 1.0-litre turbo petrol comes with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. In addition to a 6-speed manual, the 1.5-litre diesel is also available with a 6-speed automatic transmission. The car also gets a 5-speed manual and 6-speed iMT clutchless gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 22:17   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
When will Kia reveal the prices for the Sonet?
The launch is in September so prices will be announced at launch itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
I had already made up my mind for Nexon XM P MT. Now should I look for a 1.0L DCT HTK+ or 1.5L HTK+ MT? I would need to sacrifice the ESP, HDA and may be the larger rear seat capacity from Nexon. But I will get the Height adjustable drv seat, Touchscreen ICE, EATC etc. Is that worth to wait?
Can someone also comment on the reliability of DCT please?
IMO the Nexon is an excellent product, feature-wise the Sonet definitely exceeds all expectations but looks-wise is so-so.

The DCT other than some heating problems is fairly reliable, will have to wait for the Venue DCT long-term ownership reviews, the diesel is the better pick especially the 1.5L diesel AT with the added torque and power over the MT!
Definitely worth the wait till prices are announced

OT; you could also check the Toyota Urban Cruiser in the meantime if you want to, it’s launching on 22nd August. Considering you are looking at the Nexon XM P MT, the Urban Cruiser may also offer the GX MT variant at a similar price. Definitely the Nexon has a better safety rating at 5 stars but the Urban Cruiser aka Brezza has a 4 star rating which is good for a MS car.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 23:26   #266

Can someone throw some light on actual ground clearance of this car? I guess it would be same as Hyundai Venue.
Old 19th August 2020, 23:54   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu.algods View Post
Can someone throw some light on actual ground clearance of this car? I guess it would be same as Hyundai Venue.
It’s 211mm which is higher than the Venue’s 190mm
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 00:00   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Please advise.
If you are looking at Turbo petrol MT then go for the Venue cause the Sonet will not get this option. It only has iMT.

If you want diesel or 1.0L Turbo petrol DCT then wait for Sonet.

The 1.0L manual is great fun to drive and delivers really good efficiency. I don't know why they don't want people to buy the 1.0L MT.

If you want MT you are forced to buy the Diesel or sub par 1.2L NA.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th August 2020 at 08:57. Reason: Won't
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 00:46   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
It’s 211mm which is higher than the Venue’s 190mm
Has this 211 mm GC been confirmed anywhere? Seems to good to be true.
Old 20th August 2020, 00:58   #270
BHPian

The prebooking option is now live on the Kia Sonet website along with all variant wise details and brochure.

Attaching the brochure for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sonet-4-page-leaflet-compressed.pdf (8.58 MB, 925 views)

Last edited by stormdRider : 20th August 2020 at 01:11.
stormdRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks