Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 20:05   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Boot space is exactly like Nexon and I will be highly surprised if it's more than 350 litre till parcel tray. The 390 litre claim needs to be verified. If true that will be an amazing achievement by Kia. Somehow I am not impressed with the rear. Like Seltos it's too bland. Personally, I am only interested in diesel TC and if HTK+ will be in my budget. It should be much better in performance than Nexon diesel Amt which is another contender in my list.

Any idea when the prices will be announced?
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 20:20   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That boot looks bigger than most competition, so it is quite unlikely the rear seat will be a revelation as well.

After all, they have to package everything within the 4m constraint.
Yeah, that's true. But I really wonder, what's this new trend of compromising the rear legroom for that extra boot space. For someone targeting a SC-SUV or a premium hatchback for that matter, won't be having big families and corresponding luggage to ferry around. What matters more is the rear legroom here to keep the passengers happy.
I am 6 ft tall, and I seriously wonder how much space would be let for the rear passenger for the driver seat set for my height. For sure, I didn't find it satisfactory in the Venue. I could barely enter at the rear, forget finding a comfortable position.
ashvek3141 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 20:26   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Kia Sonet sub-4m crossover has arrived at a dealership in Hyderabad.
Thanks, nice pictures. However, if the Sonet is slightly bigger and spacious than the Venue on the inside, I would not mind buying this over the Venue.
NFS2024 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 22:03   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Yeah, that's true. But I really wonder, what's this new trend of compromising the rear legroom for that extra boot space. For someone targeting a SC-SUV or a premium hatchback for that matter, won't be having big families and corresponding luggage to ferry around.
What stops manufacturers from having sliding rear seats even if it's in 60:40 split set up, extra cost notwithstanding. There could be technical limitations too in having a longer travel like the front seats, even then few millimeters of extra legroom makes a world of difference for rear passengers, if that can be provided by sliding seats.

All through the life of the car, it may move around with people without the need to store luggage more often than not. It's only once a while one needs the boot space, and one can compromise a bit of legroom when that situation arises. Flexibility is the order of the day.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th August 2020 at 22:06.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 23:35   #365
BHPian

Happened to see this today. The comparison helps to understand the fuel efficiency as well as the power train combination among the C-SUV competitors.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-d-fe-comparison.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-p-fe-comparison.jpg

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-418409
BKB999 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 23:58   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
What stops manufacturers from having sliding rear seats even if it's in 60:40 split set up, extra cost notwithstanding.
I hope Indian manufacturers learn a bit from the whacky Japanese Kei cars in utilising internal space. I would love to see the same concepts applied to Indian small cars.
Old 27th August 2020, 00:32   #367
BHPian

Quote:
What stops manufacturers from having sliding rear seats even if it's in 60:40 split set up, extra cost notwithstanding.
Brilliant idea. That'll offer great flexibility. But, I think that is not possible because of uneven floor layout - floor rises right below the seat base leaving no space for slide-mechanism. Another reason could be that it'll be a difficult for a single person to slide the entire bench - can be easily overcome with a 60:40 or 50:50 split set up.
k_kumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 06:56   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
Brilliant idea. That'll offer great flexibility. But, I think that is not possible because of uneven floor layout - floor rises right below the seat base leaving no space for slide-mechanism. Another reason could be that it'll be a difficult for a single person to slide the entire bench - can be easily overcome with a 60:40 or 50:50 split set up.
Yes that's a good idea and more car manufacturers should adopt this to give more flexibility to users. In recent times the Renault Triber has it in the second row along with Split folding and it is very practical.
Though it would probably add 8-10k to the cost it would definitely be worth it for a sub 4-m car to have the choice between boot space or leg room.
My Skoda Yeti had this feature and I believe even the Honda Jazz had this feature in the higher variants in the first version.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 07:45   #369
BHPian

Any idea why aren't they offering MT with the 1.0 turbo P?
Old 27th August 2020, 08:13   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
Any idea why aren't they offering MT with the 1.0 turbo P?
No, only IMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission), which is clutchless. It seems to almost match the MT in fuel efficiency but loses out by around 1 second on 0-100 acceleration, from the reports we have seen on the Venue, where both MT and IMT are being offered.
Old 27th August 2020, 08:17   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
No, only IMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission), which is clutchless. It seems to almost match the MT in fuel efficiency but loses out by around 1 second on 0-100 acceleration, from the reports we have seen on the Venue, where both MT and IMT are being offered.
While the iMT in the venue seems like a great effort with ease of driving, personally I'd feel a bit funny shifting gears without the clutch. Though i might get used to it. However they should have offered a manual transmission.
Old 27th August 2020, 10:43   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Boot space is exactly like Nexon and I will be highly surprised if it's more than 350 litre till parcel tray. The 390 litre claim needs to be verified. If true that will be an amazing achievement by Kia. Somehow I am not impressed with the rear. Like Seltos it's too bland. Personally, I am only interested in diesel TC and if HTK+ will be in my budget. It should be much better in performance than Nexon diesel Amt which is another contender in my list.
Well, the Nexon was the C-SUV I'd earmarked to purchase in 2021, until the Sonet production version photos and videos came up. And then unveil with the myriad of 'useful' features is strongly convincing me to consider the Sonet over the Nexon.

After seeing the pics shared just yesterday, it sure looks tall and about the same roominess as the Nexon, inside (accurate picture will emerge once we can check it out at the showrooms).
A proper TC box + 115bhp 1.5D engine + 6 Airbags are a very strong set of reasons to consider the Sonet, over the Nexon, as of now. The deep ~390 litres space boot and 205 GC are added 'win' features, to boot (Nexon has 209 GC).

And very few manufacturers are considering a very pertinent India specific feature, cooled/ ventilated seats. It's hard to understand why someone like Tata making cars in India for years, couldn't think of cooled seats for its new gen cars.

Interesting times for buyers of the C-SUV space, for sure. Ultimately, buyer wins.
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 11:22   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
Keeping the DCT-AMT difference aside, isn't TATA Nexon still a VFM package ?

For sure the Sonet will be priced by a premium to it's Venue sibling and hence it will be priced higher than the Nexon for sure.

Last edited by kamilharis : 27th August 2020 at 11:23.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 12:49   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Well, the Nexon was the C-SUV I'd earmarked to purchase in 2021, until the Sonet production version photos and videos came up. And then unveil with the myriad of 'useful' features is strongly convincing me to consider the Sonet over the Nexon.

Interesting times for buyers of the C-SUV space, for sure. Ultimately, buyer wins.
Agreed completely with your statement. My thought process is running on the same lines. However, TC and Amt difference aside what will tilt my view is the pricing. I am sure Kia will price it at a premium but still if the prices are comparable, I can get an excellent deal on Nexon which won't be true for KIA. Final decisions are always after test drives as a lot of thinking process changes with it. Hate this procedure of delaying price release after the reveal.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 13:00   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My guess is that the manufacturers would give the max. possible leg room for the rear seat as long as it doesn't intrude into the wheel well, which is the reason none of the hatchbacks in India have sliding rear. However, what you said should have been applied for the XUV3OO which has the least bootspace but max. wheelbase.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed