Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 06:09   #511

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
It’s your decision what suits you more a Sedan or CSUV but the Sedan segment has diminished to a huge extent!

Back seat space in terms of legroom may be marginally better in the Verna but Sonet definitely has better headroom.

Sonet will definitely be more popular, engine is the same 1L turbo; 0-100 will be better than the Verna’s mediocre 13 seconds in the DCT.

Also Sonet has more features than the Verna if that matters to you and boot space in the Verna is 480L vs Sonet’s 392L with it having the advantage of height.
Yes, headroom makes a difference for ingress and Egress, will consider this point when I test drive both.
Old 5th September 2020, 08:15   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Personally I am myself undecided on if I want a City V gen 5 or a Creta EX.
It's off topic here but please do note that Creta EX doesn't have rear defogger and rear wiper/washer.
Old 5th September 2020, 11:26   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
It's off topic here but please do note that Creta EX doesn't have rear defogger and rear wiper/washer.
It is anything but OT. These are essential safety features, and I wouldn't buy a car without them even if it means I have to go a segment down. I believe there are many who will echo my views.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 13:01   #514
BHPian

Saw the Sonet in flesh yesterday. First impressions
1. looks quite solid. The doors shut with an impressive Thud
2. Boot space seems enormous for the size of the vehicle
3. Rear seat space seems a tad bit low. Might not be comfortable for long drives for those in the back esp taller folks (Am 5'6, if I felt short of space with the front seat per my driving position, taller people would definitely feel the space crunch).

Overall looks quite a neat package for a young family.

The sales rep showed some pricing he'd received on WA. The table showed the GTX+ Petrol DCT at 12.25 and the GTX+ Diesel AT at 13.25
I was expecting both of them to be more or less on par like with the Seltos.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2020 at 05:24. Reason: See mod note
kimmig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 14:22   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmig View Post
The sales rep showed some pricing he'd received on WA .. the table showed the GTX+ Petrol DCT at 12.25 and the GTX+ Diesel AT at 13.25
Definitely inching towards the expensive side. They should price it below 13L ex-showroom for the top-end diesel auto. I don't think the Petrol DCT and Diesel TC can have a difference of 1 Lakh case in point the Seltos.
Old 5th September 2020, 14:25   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmig View Post
The sales rep showed some pricing he'd received on WA .. the table showed the GTX+ Petrol DCT at 12.25 and the GTX+ Diesel AT at 13.25
I was expecting both of them to be more or less on par like with the Seltos.
Thinking through this, there is one difference in the price delta between the Petrol DCT and Diesel AT is the Seltos, Creta and Sonet. In the Creta and Seltos the Petrol DCT and Diesel AT have similar sized engines (1.4L versus 1.5L) both being 4 cylinder engines which deliver similar torque figures (240NM and 250NM) and expectedly higher horsepower in the Petrol DCT (140 HP versus 115 HP). With such closely matched power trains, the Petrol DCT and the Diesel AT are very close on pricing within each trim level in the case of Seltos or Creta.

In the case of the Sonet, the Petrol DCT is a much smaller three-cylinder engine compared to the full fledged 4-cylinder Diesel engine from the segment above on the Sonet Diesel AT. The Petrol DCT delivers much lower torque as compared to the Diesel (170 NM versus 250 NM) and similar power figures (120 HP versus 115 HP). So in essence, the power-trains are not comparable in the Sonet, since the Diesel is from the segment above. So unfortunately, so the pricing of the Diesel AT may turn out to be not on par with the Petrol DCT for similar trim levels, unlike in the Seltos or Creta. I still hold on to the fervent hope that the Sonet HTK+ AT will be priced just south of the magic 10 lakh figure, at least as an introductory price!
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 14:26   #517

Traction modes: A useful feature, or just another gimmick?
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-screenshot_20200905142150__01.jpg  

Old 5th September 2020, 14:29   #518
BHPian

One point everybody here is missing that the difference in turbo petrol and diesel prices in Seltos is non-existent as the both the diesel as well as petrol are already priced at a premium of around 1 lakh in comparison to the NA petrol and the diesel has power figures lower than the turbo petrol.

But in case of Sonet the detuned diesel should be priced at a premium of 20,000(considering Venue prices here) in comparison to turbo petrol but the more powerful diesel with similar power figures to the turbo petrol would be priced at a premium of around 1 lakh.

Hence, the gap between GTX+ diesel automatic and turbo petrol automatic is justified.

Because in the Verna also the 1.5 diesel SX(O) automatic is around 15 lacs while turbo petrol SX(O) automatic is 14 lacs which has the same engines as Sonet.

Last edited by sv97 : 5th September 2020 at 14:44.
Old 5th September 2020, 19:56   #519
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet has made its debut in Grand Theft Auto V (GTA V). The G5 Gamers video shows Kia Sonet in a fast moving sequence.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-smartselect_20200905195322_chrome.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-smartselect_20200905195335_chrome.jpg

Stealing Kia Sonet

Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 22:49   #520
Senior - BHPian

I meant the quality. It looks very dated below the screen. Everything is so swank but you look at these parts and they clearly belong to another era. That was the only issue. Car is solidly built, so I don't foresee rattles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
By "interior plastics were really bad", do you mean like their finishing was bad or just the plastic quality? I want to know whether this car will be rattle prone. Badly finished dashboard plastics will cause rattles soon enough.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_98481.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 11:35   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I meant the quality. It looks very dated below the screen. Everything is so swank but you look at these parts and they clearly belong to another era. That was the only issue. Car is solidly built, so I don't foresee rattles
This is just a bad quality picture! What you see as blank grey area below the Infotainment display is actually an Lcd screen which displays the AC temperature and settings. You can see in the pictures shared by me earlier and looks much different from what this picture looks like (even in this pic there is a protective plastic film over these areas, which needs to be removed as it is glossy black).
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-screenshot_20200906115612.jpg

Last edited by Behemoth : 6th September 2020 at 11:59.
Behemoth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 11:57   #522
Senior - BHPian

What do you mean by a bad picture? It is what it is. Please peel the protective film, see it again. That area looks cheap (and that's my opinion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This is just a bad quality picture! What you see as blank grey area below the Infotainment display is actually an Lcd screen which displays the AC temperature and settings. You can see in the pictures shared by me earlier and looks much different from what this picture looks like.

Last edited by Sebring : 6th September 2020 at 12:00.
Old 6th September 2020, 12:35   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Everything depends on the lighting on this AC panel. The screen displaying the AC temperature is a bit small hence the area surrounding it looks a bit cheap. It’s a fingerprint magnet as well!
Here’s a slightly better photo I believe.

EDIT: I just hope the temperature and fan speed are visible in the bright sunlight, will get to know this once the car is out on the road!
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-dc44339417204be6abc21e1d2986c1cd.jpeg  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 6th September 2020 at 12:43.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 12:39   #524
Senior - BHPian

Yes I agree, it does look better. Maybe I saw a pre-production model
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Everything depends on the lighting on this AC panel. The screen displaying the AC temperature is a bit small hence the area surrounding it looks a bit cheap. It’s a fingerprint magnet as well!
Here’s a slightly better photo I believe.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 13:53   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yes I agree, it does look better. Maybe I saw a pre-production model
I guess, whatever cars that has come to the dealerships are all kinda pre-production models, or maybe the NPI run models at best. If you go by latest news, Kia has rolled out the first 'customer' production cars from 4th Sept onwards. And this I presume are more polished / finished products.
I maybe wrong, as I didn't feel any rough edges in the demo cars that I saw in the showrooms last week, or maybe I didn't observe them keenly.
Let's wait and see how the test-drive cars look & feel. The test drives should start sometime in this week is what I got to know from my dealer.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks