Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 12:00   #541
BHPian

I had a look at the display vehicle in Chennai. Though the exterior appearance is appealing I didn't felt it as good as the muscular look of Nexon.
The full black interior is definitely a turn down to me; I felt claustrophobic. It looks to me the beige-black interior is much more refreshing which is available from HTX. My opinion is they should actually give it as an optional one down the variants as well.
Also, I felt Nexon roomier than Sonet. Rear seat is not at all for 3 as we 3 check, no shoulder room as well as the RR console protruding into the space + floor tunnel make it impossible for the third person to sit and relax even for short journeys!!

I'm waiting for the test drive vehicle to take a final decision between Sonet and Nexon. At this point I'm leaning towards Nexon due to the congestion I felt inside. But if the price point is lesser for the Diesel MT I may go for the HTX and with more pleasant Beige interior I would in a better position.
BKB999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:04   #542
BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
On their website height of the HTE is 1610mm, HTK is 1625mm and HTK+ onwards it's 1642mm!
Yea, i just saw that on the website. The height with roof rails seems to be 1642mm.

I wonder why there are three versions of height.

1610mm without Roofrails
1625mm - What is this height? Anyone?
1642mm - With Roofrails.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:20   #543
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I think this is the first sneak-peak of a blue Kia Sonet after the unveil.
Media Drives have started from today. So expecting to see more pictures.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:28   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Yea, i just saw that on the website. The height with roof rails seems to be 1642mm.

I wonder why there are three versions of height.

1610mm without Roofrails
1625mm - What is this height? Anyone?
1642mm - With Roofrails.
Different size of wheels/tyres and then, the addition of roof rails makes the difference. Due to the smaller tyres, the base variants also have slightly lower GC.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:32   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Different size of wheels/tyres and then, the addition of roof rails makes the difference. Due to the smaller tyres, the base variants also have slightly lower GC.
Quite possible. But we have not seen other manufacturers mention different heights for their cars based on Tyre size etc. Do we know of any instances?
Old 7th September 2020, 12:35   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Media Drives have started from today. So expecting to see more pictures.
Any idea about when embargo will be lifted?
Very keen to see how the diesel TC fairs up.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:37   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quite possible. But we have not seen other manufacturers mention different heights for their cars based on Tyre size etc. Do we know of any instances?
No, but for its brother Seltos, KIA describes the height with a disclaimer.

Overall Height:1645mm (17"tyre with roof rack)

https://www.kia.com/in/our-vehicles/...cs.html#trim-1
Old 7th September 2020, 12:39   #548
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Any idea about when embargo will be lifted?
Very keen to see how the diesel TC fairs up.
Embargo is till Friday evening as per one of the auto journos tweet.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:45   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

A clear look at the elusive Blue shade, courtesy carandbike.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-ehs3atbwoaeheh.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-ehs3xtzxkaaapy0.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th September 2020 at 12:47.
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 13:21   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunjamSingh View Post
According to kia's website the overall height is 1610mm and overall width is 1790mm..
Height is wrong, please see below.

Quote:
This data is not correct for height. It is 1610mm. So the Sonet is as tall as Venue, barring a cm or two. Unlike the Brezza or EcoSport that measure 1647mm in height.
From the Kia India website, showcasing Sonet. Settles it?
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-screenshot-20200907-13.20.06.png

Last edited by k_ajay : 7th September 2020 at 13:24. Reason: Added a response to another post mentioning incorrect height.
k_ajay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 13:52   #551
Senior - BHPian

From the same CarandBike page.
Somehow blue looks much more appealing.
Embargo lift time is given as 7pm on 11 sep.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200907_135033.jpg  

harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 13:54   #552
Senior - BHPian

Any real time review of the 1.5 L diesel manual ? Any feedback available from existing Venue 1.5 L manual Diesel owners please ?
Old 7th September 2020, 14:17   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Few more pictures of other colours as well.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-annotation-20200907-141447.png  

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-annotation-20200907-141324.png  

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-annotation-20200907-141304.png  

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-annotation-20200907-141246.png  

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-annotation-20200907-141143.png  

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-annotation-20200907-141124.png  

CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 14:21   #554
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet 1.0 GDI Tech Line with IMT gearbox

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200907_141845.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200907_141852.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200907_141854.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200907_141857.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200907_141900.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200907_142210.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200907_142213.jpg

https://twitter.com/sidpatankar/stat...446295040?s=19

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th September 2020 at 14:24.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 15:23   #555
BHPian

Hello everyone, I am Abid Iqbal Shaik. This is my first post on the TeamBHP Forum.

Today, I have discovered something very interesting about the Kia Sonet.

The Kia Sonet most probably has wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. Yes, you have read it right.

Now, you might have tons of questions about what I am claiming. So, let me start by explaining the theory behind my claim that Kia Sonet has wireless Android Auto and wireless CarPlay.

1. When the brochure of the Kia Sonet came out, I saw that the 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system that is equipped in the HTK+ and HTX variants of the car has 'wireless phone projection.' At that time, it hit my mind that 'wireless phone projection' could mean wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. But then it seemed highly unlikely that Kia would offer this feature in Sonet because this feature is found only in high-end vehicles that cost above INR 50,00,000 (For example, BMW 3 Series cars). Moreover, it didn't make sense that Kia would offer wireless Android Auto and wireless CarPlay in HTK+ and HTX variants and not in the high-end HTX+ and GTX+ variants with a 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system.

2. Yesterday, I learned that Kia has launched the K5 2021 sedan in Canada a few days ago. And that it is Kia's first car with wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. I was curious about it. So, I visited Kia's official website for Canada and then I navigated to K5 2021's page. I went to the sedan's specs to find out more about the car's wireless Android Auto and wireless CarPlay features. I learned that the car is available in four trims, LX, EX, GT Line, and GT, with the LX being the base variant and GT being the high-end variant.

To my surprise, I found that wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay are available in only the two base variants (LX and EX). The high-end variants (GT-Line and GT) surprisingly don't have wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. Then I dug deeper and found that the LX and EX variants have an 8-inch touchscreen unit and the GT Line and GT variants have a 10.25-inch touchscreen unit (The same unit that is in the high-end variants of Seltos and Sonet).

So, it means that the 8-inch touchscreen infotainment module in the K5 2021 has wireless Android Auto and wireless CarPlay, while the 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment unit doesn't. This is an unusual move from Kia. Usually, infotainment systems with larger screens that are fitted in the high-end variants of a car have more features than infotainment systems with smaller screens that are fitted in the low-end variants. But that, surprisingly, is not the case with Kia K5 2021.

3. Then it suddenly crossed my mind that Kia Sonet's brochure mentioned 'wireless phone projection' in the 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system but the feature was not mentioned in the 10.25-inch infotainment system. So, I realised that Kia could have taken the same path with the Sonet as it did with the K5 2021 in Canada, which is why the brand might have described 'wireless phone projection' in the 8-inch touchscreen infotainment unit of the Sonet and it didn't in the 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment unit of the car. Don't you all think that might be the case? I mean it makes sense, doesn't it?

It meant that the 'wireless phone projection' that is mentioned in the Kia Sonet's brochure could indeed translate to wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. If what I am speculating is true, then the 8-inch touchscreen system in the HTK+ and HTX variants of the Kia Sonet has wireless Android Auto and wireless CarPlay, whereas, the 10.25-inch infotainment system that is in the HTX+ and GTX+ variants doesn't.

It is highly likely that what I am speculating is true. And how could that be? Well here are the facts.

a. Let us start with the biggest fact - what else could 'wireless phone projection' possibly mean apart from wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay? Is there anything you could think of? Wireless means no wires, and phone projection means displaying something from a phone to another screen/surface. Now, what could a phone display wirelessly on Kia Sonet's screen? Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, right?

You might say that 'wireless phone projection' means Bluetooth audio streaming but I don't think so because transmitting audio is not counted as projection. Projection means displaying.

b. Kia has only one touchscreen infotainment system with a 10.25-inch screen on offer around the world. If you read that any Kia car has a 10.25-inch infotainment system, you know that it is the same unit that is in the Indian Kia Seltos. Now, the same could be the case with the 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, wouldn't it? I mean, Kia might be offering only one variant of its 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system around the world. But we can't say for sure, right?

Well, if you consider that the 8-inch touchscreen infotainment in the K5 2021 has wireless Android Auto and wireless CarPlay, and the 8-inch screen touchscreen infotainment unit in the Sonet is described to have 'wireless phone projection,' then why can't they be the same units?

c. Kia K5 2021 and Kia Sonet are both newly developed cars, which means that Kia's engineers might have used the same thinking, philosophy, and protocols while developing these cars. Moreover, engineers have to choose the components that are available in Kia's lineup at present to develop these cars. And it doesn't make sense for Kia to have two 8-inch touchscreen infotainment systems on offer as it would make things convoluted. Take Suzuki for example; it now offers the same, SmartPlay Studio infotainment system across all the variants, even internationally. Ford does the same thing; you either get Sync 3 or Sync 4 infotainment systems (albeit with different screen sizes). So the 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system in the Kia Sonet and the Kia K5 2021 is most probably the same unit.

d. Kia K5 2021 and Kia Sonet were both launched recently.

e. Kia is known for giving the Indian market more importance.

4. Many of you might be thinking that why did Kia didn't reveal this important feature during the launch and why did it not mention this feature in the brochure clearly. Well, Kia might have not revealed this feature because then people in India would complain that how could the brand offer such an important feature in low-end variants and not in high-end variants.

Now you might be asking, why did Kia equip wireless Android Auto and wireless CarPlay in the 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system and not in the 10.25-inch touchscreen system. Well, Kia might have been developing new 8-inch and 10.25-inch systems with wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay but the 8-inch system might have been developed faster and the 10.25-inch infotainment system might be taking longer to develop as Kia might be packing it more features which might take more R&D and more time. So, it is highly likely that the new 8-inch infotainment system is out and Kia might have decided to use it, while the new 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment is still under development, and therefore, Kia decided to use the existing 10.25-inch unit in the high-end variants of the Sonet (which doesn't have wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay).

Lastly, you might be thinking why did Kia didn't equip the 8-inch touchscreen system in the high-end variants if it is more advanced than the 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system. Well, that might be a marketing strategy. People love large screens. So, the 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment unit looks much more appealing on paper than wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay, and hence the brand decided to put a 10.25-inch unit in the high-end variants.

5. If what I am speculating is true, the Kia Sonet has just become the world's most affordable car with wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. We might not have a confirmation about what I have just revealed/claimed but I am 100% sure that what I am speculating is true. I am a tech journalist and I have been writing about gadgets from the last 5 years and I have a pretty good idea about how the tech industry works.

Now the only thing remaining is to check out HTK+ and HTX variants of the Kia Sonet and confirm my speculation. I went to a Kia dealership yesterday but they didn't have the HTK+ or HTX variants on display. Can anyone ask Kia dealerships in their city if they have HTK+ and HTX variants of the Sonet and visit the showroom and check out in person my speculations? It would be a great help for all TeamBHP members.

6. So, if you want to buy an affordable car with wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay, the Kia Sonet could be the way to go. However, you will have to choose the HTK+ or HTX variant of the Kia Sonet if you want wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay in the car, which means that you'd be missing out on features that high-end variants offer.

So, once we confirm that Kia Sonet has wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay, the only question remains is can we fit the 8-inch infotainment system in the HTX+ and GTX+ variants of the car. That way, we can all the features of the Sonet along with wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. Finger crossed. Let us hope that what I am speculating turns out to be true.

Link to Kia K5 2021 spec sheet:
https://www.kia.ca/vehicles/k52021/features

Below are screenshots of Kia Sonet's brochure where the 'wireless phone projection' feature has been mentioned. I have also attached a screenshot of Kia K5 2021's spec sheet where it mentions that the 8-inch touchscreen has wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay and the 10.25-inch unit doesn't. Have a look for yourself.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-kia-sonet-brochure-showing-wireless-phone-projection.png

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-kia-k5-2021-spec-sheet-showing-wireless-android-auto-wireless-carplay.png

Last but not the least, I have checked Kia Seltos brochure. A few of its variants have an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system but none of them are described to have 'wireless phone projection'. So the 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system in the Sonet is either a newer one or Kia has updated its software to support 'wireless phone projection.' If this is indeed a software trick then Seltos owners could get wireless Android Auto and wireless CarPlay soon.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed