Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 18:26   #601
BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
I was looking for an automatic with 12L INR, a Diesel engine due to better city mileage and TC auto box for the reliability. I would have preferred a German or Japanese car. But I don't see anything matching my criteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
I have no more confusions and happy with booking of GTX+ Diesel AT.

If diesel automatic is the choice, then this is unbeatable option right now in the market.
Congratulations to both on your bookings.
But just a small reminder that GTX+ AT diesel won't cost you anywhere near your expected price of 12L.
It'll be surely be above 15 lakhs OTR.
HTK+ AT may meet your expectations though.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 18:32   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
But just a small reminder that GTX+ AT diesel won't cost you anywhere near your expected price of 12L.
Thank you, I am very well aware of the price difference and I am very particular about safety, and 6 airbags are must.

And 'driving rear view monitor' feature is very useful and available in GTX+ only.

For this reasons I went ahead with GTX+ though the price difference is 2L+ between them.

Ideally I would have liked a GTX variant without sunroof which is of no use for me.
Old 9th September 2020, 19:09   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations to both on your bookings.
I just wanted something that has all the safety bells and whistles available. The only Diesel automatic has all these is the top model GTX+. It was kind of an apparent choice.
Old 9th September 2020, 23:07   #604
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet in various shades

Intelligency Blue

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212720.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212713.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212507.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212840.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212715.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212710.jpg

Gravity Grey

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212805.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212807.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212928.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212728.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212930.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212734.jpg

Aurora Black Pearl

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212749.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212525.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212826.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212855.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-img_20200909_212822.jpg

Source - Various Auto Journalists on Twitter
CarguyNish is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 03:27   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Oh wow, then I could maybe expect the HTK+ petrol MT to be even lower... like maybe around 7.5l ex-showroom!!
I'm not taking his apprx price into consideration as I assume he told me the HTK+ Petrol 1.2 version. Ideally there could be a difference of 75K to 1lkh to the Diesel.
Old 10th September 2020, 09:13   #606
BHPian

I hope people take into account that the Sonet/Venue are based on the Santro platform and their safety isn't tested by NCAP. The competition however has cars rated highly, the XUV 300, the Nexon, the Brezza and the EcoSport. Also, these cars are visually bigger, are more spacious, have more road presence and feel like from a different segment to drive.
itsashishsharma is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 09:26   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
Thank you, I am very well aware of the price difference and I am very particular about safety, and 6 airbags are must.

And 'driving rear view monitor' feature is very useful and available in GTX+ only.
If safety is utmost important then I would suggest you to consider XUV300 as well.
It is a proven product on safety front.
Sonet is based on Santro platform which is never tested for safety till now.

Sorry if I am sounding too much against Sonet.
But can't help myself doing it, because of the facts.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 09:34   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I hope people take into account that the Sonet/Venue are based on the Santro platform and their safety isn't tested by NCAP.
Quote:
Sonet is based on Santro platform which is never tested for safety till now.

Sorry if I am sounding too much against Sonet.
But can't help myself doing it, because of the facts.
I'm mildly curious on this subject therefore this query.
Have there been instances of cars (different models from the same stable) based on the same platform scoring vastly differently in safety ratings or is it generally similar?
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 10:00   #609
BHPian

Thank you @CarguyNish for sharing the pictures.

The car looks smashing hot in that black shade. My son is already sold on that color. Eagerly waiting for the car to be launched and see how it drives. Diesel TC would be the pick of the lot if everything goes well.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 10th September 2020 at 10:02.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:25   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Have there been instances of cars (different models from the same stable) based on the same platform scoring vastly differently in safety ratings or is it generally similar?
Hi there,

Yes, it is possible for different vehicles based of the same platform to get different safety ratings, not sure how vastly different can it be though, we have Brezza and Swift 2nd gen as example. There are many variables that contribute towards crash ratings. But for it to happen in case of Venue/Sonet, these cars will have to be tested and certified by NCAP. Untill that doesn't happen, I won't recommend these cars to anyone. Basically, Hyundai and Kia should get these products tested by NCAP ASAP, even from sales perspective, as the compact SUV segment is packed with highly rated competitors.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 10:54   #611
BHPian

Kia is offering decent spread of exterior colors and variants for its offerings and it’s indeed hard to choose the right combination.

Last year, I picked up a black Seltos and my friend took a red one. We got the ceramic coating done from the same shop and I must share that after 10 months of similar maintenance the black Color outshines the red one by a margin. Out of my experience, the order of maintenance required by the colors would be :- Red> Black> Blue> Grey> Orange> Platinum> Sliver> White

I am considering buying a Sonet for my father and yet to narrow down on a variant. The absolute necessities in the car are automatic transmission, led headlamps, reverse parking camera, air purifier and the centre armrest. I shall be forced to buy Gtx although my father wont need the sun roof, Apple car play, alloy wheels, the seat height adjustment, rear window blinds, red accents, blacked out interiors, keyless entry etc. Hoping for an ex showroom price of Gtx diesel Tc to be 12 lakhs or nearabout.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th September 2020 at 12:13. Reason: Spacing for better readability. Thanks.
.Albatross. is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 10:58   #612
BHPian

Quote:
If safety is utmost important then I would suggest you to consider XUV300 as well.
Along with safety I also need a proper automatic, I hate AMT's and I wont spend 15 grands on a jerky unreliable automatic.
I have used and driven all types of automatic transmissions, I can rely on Tourque converter AT as I am already using it on my Verna.
RaceHorse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 11:25   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Yes, it is possible for different vehicles based of the same platform to get different safety ratings, not sure how vastly different can it be though, we have Brezza and Swift 2nd gen as example. There are many variables that contribute towards crash ratings.
Pardon me. Minor correction. Brezza, Sx4 and S-cross are based on the Suzuki Grand Vitara platform while the 2nd gen. swift was a different platform(I guess Esteem). The newer Swift and it's derivatives are based on the newer Heartect platform. As per the crash ratings, Ertiga is the only vehicle to have marginally faired better than its peers based on the Heartect platform.

But, as you rightly said there would be many variables determining a crash rating.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 10th September 2020 at 11:37. Reason: Too many typos
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 11:34   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
One point everybody here is missing that the difference in turbo petrol and diesel prices in Seltos is non-existent as the both the diesel as well as petrol are already priced at a premium of around 1 lakh in comparison to the NA petrol and the diesel has power figures lower than the turbo petrol.

But in case of Sonet the detuned diesel should be priced at a premium of 20,000(considering Venue prices here) in comparison to turbo petrol but the more powerful diesel with similar power figures to the turbo petrol would be priced at a premium of around 1 lakh.

Hence, the gap between GTX+ diesel automatic and turbo petrol automatic is justified.

Because in the Verna also the 1.5 diesel SX(O) automatic is around 15 lacs while turbo petrol SX(O) automatic is 14 lacs which has the same engines as Sonet.
Any thoughts on this team?
Old 10th September 2020, 11:46   #615
Senior - BHPian

Sonet/Venue being based on the Santro platform is an eye opener for me !

I was seriously considering Sonet but now i would think twice before putting my money on a potentially unsafe platform based on a budget hatchback.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed