Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 11:47   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
I am considering buying a Sonet for my father and yet to narrow down on a variant. The absolute necessities in the car are automatic transmission, led headlamps, reverse parking camera, air purifier and the center armrest. I shall be forced to buy Gtx although my father wont need the sun roof, Apple car play, alloy wheels, the seat height adjustment, rear window blinds, red accents, blacked out interiors, keyless entry etc. Hoping for an ex showroom price of Gtx diesel Tc to be 12 lakhs or nearabout.
The HTK+ will nicely fulfill your requirements with an after market change to LED headlights and a plug-on Air purifier. The Air purifier is way too glorified in my opinion. Air purifiers from reputed manufacturers such as Honeywell, that plug into the 12 V socket and can be positioned nicely have been available for years.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 11:59   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
rt. Also, these cars are visually bigger, are more spacious, have more road presence and feel like from a different segment to drive.
Not really, the Sonet is as big as the Ecosport and Brezza on the outside and equally spacious as the Brezza and more than the Ecosport on the inside. The front of the Sonet has great bling and road presence, with a very high bonnet. Only the XUV300 is bigger. This is based on my observation, having checked out the car a couple of times in the showroom.

The drive reviews will give an indication on how the Sonet drives.
NFS2024 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 12:44   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

I have compiled some of my images and Videos of the Sonet and am sharing on Youtube as below (this is a new channel that I started - I am just a Novice though!)
Hope it is helpful and gives some new perspectives of the car.
In this I also included some shots of the Engine bay areas too for the Turbo Petrol as well as CRDI variants.

Behemoth is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:11   #619
Senior - BHPian

I have explained to death in another thread that products based on common platform need not be equally safe or unsafe and that the word "platform" is best left to the engineering and marketing team to use.

Here's a detailed Q n A on the same.

https://tech.hyundaimotorgroup.com/a...to-the-future/

The k1 platform is itself a modified Hyundai-Kia SA platform of yore.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 10th September 2020 at 13:13.
Nithesh_M is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 14:45   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Sonet is based on Santro platform which is never tested for safety till now.
Sorry if I am sounding too much against Sonet.
But can't help myself doing it, because of the facts.
Sorry to quote you again - but just wanted to clarify something - I just searched and found that the Santro base version (with only driver airbag) was indeed tested by GNCAP last year and the score was 2. Not very good I'm afraid, but probably top version may have scored a star more.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-rating-414699
wilful is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 17:58   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Sorry to quote you again - but just wanted to clarify something - I just searched and found that the Santro base version (with only driver airbag) was indeed tested by GNCAP last year and the score was 2. Not very good I'm afraid, but probably top version may have scored a star more.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-rating-414699
Interesting information. Now I am not very surprised that Hyundai & Kia, who are generally so pro-active and organised and take care or every element of a new product launch so systematically, have missed the crash testing of both the Venue and the Sonet!
Old 10th September 2020, 21:23   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hyundai & Kia ... have missed the crash testing of both the Venue and the Sonet!
This is not a miss per se. Manufacturers are not required to send new cars to Global NCAP for crash testing before launching it in the market. Though sometimes they do send voluntarily but not necessarily before the launch. GNCAP is a charity program and it procures cars, crash-tests them and publishes the results in order to promote the adoption of safer vehicles.
k_kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 10:12   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
This is not a miss per se. Manufacturers are not required to send new cars to Global NCAP for crash testing before launching it in the market. Though sometimes they do send voluntarily but not necessarily before the launch. GNCAP is a charity program and it procures cars, crash-tests them and publishes the results in order to promote the adoption of safer vehicles.
Fully understand that, but those manufacturers who have taken great efforts to design and engineer their products for safety and hope to make safety a point of differentiation, will be the first in line to volunteer their cars for the NCAP tests. And those who have not prioritised safety over bling features. and so don’t want to end up with a bad rating, will delay or refrain from sending their cars to the NCAP tests. With so much marketing and promotional money available to them and the incredible launch machine they have, Hyundai would not have just ‘forgotten’ to send the Venue to NCAP or ‘not have a car available’ for the crash test. They clearly are not confident of the result and do not want to risk a low NCAP rating being used by Nexon and Ecosport dealers to convince buyers against the Venue.

And it is not just Hyundai/Kia who do this. Tata is standing on safety as a major strength of their entire line up and most of their cars are either 4 or 5 star rated by NCAP. Yet, they have not sent the Harrier for NCAP testing because they are not confident it will get rated highly, supposedly due to inherent safety design compatibility issues of combining a JLR chassis with a FCA engine, based on what is being discussed in the Harrier thread.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th September 2020 at 10:19.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 10:45   #624
BHPian

Quote:
And it is not just Hyundai/Kia who do this. Tata is standing on safety as a major strength of their entire line up and most of their cars are either 4 or 5 star rated by NCAP. Yet, they have not sent the Harrier for NCAP testing because they are not confident it will get rated highly, supposedly due to inherent safety design compatibility issues of combining a JLR chassis with a FCA engine, based on what is being discussed in the Harrier thread.

I understand where you are coming from, but in terms of safety, please do not compare TATA with others just because of Harrier. TATA currently sells 5 cars. Out of those two have 5 start rating and the other two have 4 star rating. Regarding Harrier, they want a 5 star rating but it won't happen due to below reason which I think you are already aware of

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4870464 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)

However good or bad their sales maybe, in terms of safety, they are an inspiration and don't deserve to be put in same group as the two market leaders who take safety as the least priority.
RaghuVis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 13:35   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Sonet Test Drive Vehicles Reach Dealerships.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-kiasonetspiedshot2d0f.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 13:50   #626
BHPian

Quote:
With so much marketing and promotional money available to them and the incredible launch machine they have, Hyundai would not have just ‘forgotten’ to send the Venue to NCAP or ‘not have a car available’ for the crash test. They clearly are not confident of the result and do not want to risk a low NCAP rating being used by Nexon and Ecosport dealers to convince buyers against the Venue.
I think they don't feel they're loosing many sales to Tata and Mahindra due to gncap results. Which means the hundreds of people visiting their showrooms are not asking why their cars aren't been tested by gncap. If a significant amount of potential customers start inquiring about this, only then will these manufacturers start to think about it.
zhopudey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 17:00   #627
BHPian

Sonet's media youtube reviews coming up, starting 1900hrs today.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 11th September 2020 at 17:09.
Old 11th September 2020, 17:30   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I feel white shades accentuates the proportions of any well designed car. I am yet to see a proper finished Sonet in white shade.
Here you go mate:-)
Car is I guess a dealer’s car so has been decked up with all possible accessories and chrome!

IMO White doesn’t look as classy as it looks on the Seltos though or maybe it’s because of the gaudy accessories added!
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-6ffcdb027b1343719cc03c0ca20c727d.jpeg  

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-aefa4993705d43d4a348ac369518510d.jpeg  

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-d7e49e9da0fa4c19908adba8c8ec29c9.jpeg  

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-9921116a315f4f189c412c65ab1e6aa8.jpeg  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th September 2020 at 17:34.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 19:00   #629
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet reviews goes live

Mod Note: Our Kia Sonet Drive Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2020 at 19:08.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks