Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2020, 13:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs

Honda has revealed the updated Jazz which now comes with a BS6-compliant petrol engine. The car will be launched later this month and pre-bookings are now open. Customers can place their orders at the dealerships by paying a sum of Rs. 21,000 while online bookings can be made with an amount of Rs. 5,000.

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-new-jazz-_full-frontal-red-streak.jpg

The Jazz is powered by a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that has been updated to comply with BS6 emission norms. The engine will be offered with either a manual or continuously variable transmission (CVT). According to Honda, CVT variants accounted for 70% of the total Jazz sales in India last year.

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-new-jazz_rear-lights.jpg

Besides the engine, Jazz also gets minor changes to the exterior. The car comes with a new gloss black grille with chrome trims, LED headlights, LED tail lights and LED fog lamps. The front and rear bumpers have also been redesigned.

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-new-jazz-interior-cut-shot.jpg

The updated Jazz is equipped with features such as one-touch electric sunroof, cruise control, Smart Entry and engine start / stop button in both Manual and CVT variants. The latter also gets paddle shifters.

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-new-jazz-sunroof.jpg

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-new-jazz-full-frontal.jpg

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-new-jazz_-front-led-drl.jpg

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-new-jazz_foglamp.jpg

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-new-jazz_front-grill.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 10th August 2020 at 13:09.
TusharK is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs

The new fog lamps look nice. But only petrol engine? Why on earth will anyone do that when other BS6 cars in their lineup have diesels? Cannibalisation should be the last thing on their minds right now, if thats why they offer only petrol engine in Jazz. Any customer retained within the brand should be considered as a bonus by them. Say someone does not like looks of WR-V and likes Jazz instead. If that person is looking for a diesel car then there is very high chance that he will go to some other brand. Loss of 1 sale for Honda!

Any idea when the variants and pricing will be revealed? I can see ZX badge in one of the pics which is a new variant for Jazz.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Honda has revealed the updated Jazz which now comes with a BS6-compliant petrol engine.
The car looks fabulous, I wish Honda prices it well and it can get some good numbers for them. One point to note here is they have to create some differentiator for the Jazz among other cars in the segment like Cruise Control (check), paddle shifter (check), Sunroof (check). I think price will make or break it for Honda now.

Coming to the Honda Showroom experience, let me share a short point last month while my BIL was purchasing his Amaze CVT.
The guys at the showroom very prompt and polite. They were really transparent, no overcommitments, they didn’t budge for any discount beyond what was promised by Honda itself and they were knowledgeable. Loved their professionalism. But Honda has to do more to increase footfall in their showrooms.
swarnava.ch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 14:19   #4
BHPian

I think Honda has done a right thing by offering sunroof in the BS6 Jazz. Most Indian families love to have a sunroof in their cars. I think this feature alone will draw many customers towards the Jazz as there isn't anything negative in the car overall be it the refinement,Fuel efficiency, space or even features.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 14:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Honda has revealed the updated Jazz which now comes with a BS6-compliant petrol engine.
Good move by Honda when everyone was thinking that Jazz will be dumped. Bonus is the Sun Roof but they could have considered a cross version too by improving on the GC. I read LED headlamps as addition, wonder if they will offer projector headlamps as that was missing too in top edition previously and head lamp assembly up gradation by dealer did not go well for one of my colleagues.

The other big put down in the Jazz is the 1.2 NA engine and the slow up shifting CVT gearbox, I am yet to drive it though using the paddle shifters but can say for sure that Honda could have thought of introducing the 1.0 Litre Turbo Petrol here as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
One point to note here is they have to create some differentiator for the Jazz among other cars in the segment like Cruise Control (check), paddle shifter (check), Sunroof (check).
The Exclusive Edition Jazz sold last year did already have Paddle Shifters and Cruise Control.
Old 10th August 2020, 14:33   #6
BHPian

Goofing up with the prices is the USP of Honda. Time and again they have launched an excellent product but they have priced it so badly that it has fallen flat all around. Jazz is a good product but they keep on reducing the features. Also what i have noted is the fact that Honda just concentrates on one product at a time. Few days back only, they have launched city and all the focus of sales guys is on increasing the sale of city rather than Jazz. With this attitude, a competent product will get lost in the blitz of City.

Secondly, i have been emphasizing on the importance of service in most of my posts. The service cost has gone through the roof and Honda is notorious for sky high prices of its spares. They do not hesitate in taking u for a ride whenever they have a chance. The quote given to me for clutch replacement was 50000. I got it done for 10000 from GoMechanic service center. So who on earth will want to get a vehicle which is so notorious for its service.
su1978 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 14:54   #7
Team-BHP Support

Pre-bookings make sense for a brand new product like the Sonet, but the Jazz is a 7-year-old car internationally and a market flop here - with some feature additions now! No one is going to rush to the dealership to beat the queue, without knowing the pricing.

Most Honda diesel customers prefer the W-RV instead, hence it makes sense for Honda to skip the diesel this time around. That said - BS6 W-RV 1.2 iVTec takes over 15 seconds to 100 as per ACI. This is probably the worst petrol option in the premium hatchback space - with poor driveability and performance. It's sad that they just don't want to try the 1.5 even on a low-risk product as the Jazz.

Overall - too little, too late - especially with the next generation Hyundai i20 1.0 Turbo coming in next month.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 15:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Overall - too little, too late - especially with the next generation Hyundai i20 1.0 Turbo coming in next month.
With all due respect, the target customer for the Jazz is the one who values unmatched interior space, comfort, the legendary Honda reliability & fuss free ownership. It is literally a *Fill it. Shut it. Forget it.* vehicle.

Now, I agree that the Jazz is underpowered, sluggish & that the competition has moved on. But the typical Jazz owner doesn’t care about the car’s performance. All they value is peace of mind & no nasty surprises during their ownership. For that, the Jazz does the job perfectly.

Yes I agree that it should be sold with the 1.5L engine. Yes I agree that it is still overpriced. But then that’s a discussion for Honda, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by ampere : 12th August 2020 at 15:33. Reason: typo fixed
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to Honda, CVT variants accounted for 70% of the total Jazz sales in India last year.
This probably is the reason they didn't give CVT option to the WRV. Not sure if it's good or bad move but IMHO the only variant of Jazz worth considering is the CVT. Atleast for me while purchasing the car last year that smooth and reliable engine transmission combo(along with paddles & cruise control) was the reason to consider it above i20 and Baleno. And it's been a pleasant 1.5 years of ownership till now

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Good move by Honda when everyone was thinking that Jazz will be dumped.
Yeah we all thought that but glad it didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
The Exclusive Edition Jazz sold last year did already have Paddle Shifters and Cruise Control.
Exclusive edition had just cosmetic updates like spoiler, black alloys, black leather seats etc. Paddle shifters and cruise control was available in normal variant as well since 2018 facelift. I have the same edition

Edit:
Quote:
True. But it's a niche customer base which doesn't exist anymore.
Trust me they do. There are still people who want a reliable workhorse with sorted mechanicals. And Jazz isn't really bad on features either. I agree the manual is too slow but the CVT is ultra reliable as per ownership reports. The number of such people might be very few but probably Honda is happy with them and hence didn't discontinue the model.

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th August 2020 at 16:33.
SoumenD is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
With all due respect, the target customer for the Jazz is the one who values unmatched interior space, comfort, the legendary Honda reliability & fuss free ownership.

Jazz sold less cars in the entire year (9,512 units in full year 2019) compared to what Baleno & i20 does in an average month!

The current minimal updates won't change that situation.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
With all due respect, the target customer for the Jazz is the one who values unmatched interior space, comfort, the legendary Honda reliability & fuss free ownership. It is literally a *Fill it. Shut it. Forget it.* vehicle.
No offense, but such a customer can very well buy a Baleno/Glanza and call it a day. The Baleno delivers all the mentioned qualities and maybe some more, at a lower price point. I don't see anything that the Jazz offers over the Baleno to command a premium, except for that sunroof. It has no proven safety rating (India-spec), does not have a segment-leading feature list and the engine is no scorcher either.

If Honda goes about it's business as usual and prices this like it usually does, I don't see this generating much interest. The game has moved on.

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 10th August 2020 at 16:55.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:56   #12
BHPian

It looks like the Magic Seats have been ignored again, which is disappointing. That really was a unique, standout feature whose utility was immediately apparent. While the sunroof is a nice addition, this design really is showing its age. Factor in the anaemic engine and it is difficult to see many takers for the Jazz, which is sad because this car has the potential to be a brilliant, practical, everyday workhorse.
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 17:10   #13

Quote:

Jazz sold less cars in the entire year (9,512 units in full year 2019) compared to what Baleno & i20 does in an average month!
Comparing the volumes of Jazz with that of i20 and Baleno is a futile exercise. Jazz has never been a volume chunker in the past. Even in it's peak period it had clocked 1500 units/month and it has settled for a volume of 600-1000 units/month over the years.

Honda's production capacity will definitely not match either Maruti or Hyundai. Also, Honda will be more than happy selling this car to Pre-covid volumes, which I am sure it will, as there are buyers still looking for a car that is spacious, practical and provides a hassle free ownership experience.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th August 2020 at 15:38. Reason: typo.
Parts007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 17:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:

The current minimal updates won't change that situation.
I’m not disagreeing with you at all. I’m just stating facts about why people still choose to buy Honda products. The product planning & marketing team at Honda are the ones who need to have a serious re-think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
No offense, but such a customer can very well buy a Baleno/Glanza and call it a day. The Baleno delivers all the mentioned qualities and maybe some more, at a lower price point. I don't see anything that the Jazz offers over the Baleno to command a premium, except for that sunroof. It has no proven safety rating (India-spec), does not have a segment-leading feature list and the engine is no scorcher either.

If Honda goes about it's business as usual and prices this like it usually does, I don't see this generating much interest. The game has moved on.
None taken. Some customers prefer the peace of mind of a Honda/Toyota product from a reliability stand point.

I’m not going to fan the flames regarding Maruti vs others’ build quality but having owned various brands, let’s just say the Baleno hatchback’s overall build quality doesn't hold a candle to the Jazz. Let’s not even go near the safety rating of Maruti vehicles.

To add to the Baleno hatchback vs Jazz comparison, I’d like to see how long the Jatco(?) CVT in the Maruti lasts compared to Honda’s own CVT. I’m not talking 50,000-60,000kms, I’m talking 150,000-200,000kms over 10-15yrs of usage. Which most Honda CVT vehicles are renowned for.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 10th August 2020 at 17:28. Reason: Added the Baleno CVT vs Jazz CVT longevity.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 17:20   #15
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2020 at 07:07.
kaps1311 is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed