Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 12:48   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs

I feel Honda should have got in the new Jazz instead of pushing the previous gen model with a BS6 update. That would have got them directly fight it out with the upcoming new i20. In my opinion, Jazz can be the segment leader if Honda shows the same intend as they do with the City. Unfortunately, this will remain as a player doing a few hundred units per month.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th August 2020 at 14:46.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
I don’t understand why it has to be either/or. Wouldn’t this same refresh have been much more compelling with the following?
No car is perfect. Having said that, all those extras would jack up the price further. The target segment of Jazz owners value different things compared to the average car buyer. Various other members have made that amply clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredemon View Post
For me fuss free ownership & maintenance is of more importance.
Exactly, the Jazz buyer isn’t fooled by silly gimmicks and high technology, less reliable options in the segment. This is the name of the game for dependable transportation.

Just as you, I got a sweet deal! Frankly I’d rather pay a premium initially for a super reliable product and enjoy the fuss free ownership with minimal breakdowns/failures, than buy other options in the segment which are cheaper/over engineered & spend sleepless nights wondering if the car will ever let me/the family down and the related expenses.

I don’t think the BS6 Jazz has anything special to warrant an upgrade from the BS4 Jazz. What say?
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I was told Jazz CVT comes with a steel belt whereas the other 2 come with rubber belts. Some one can do some research and see if it is right.
This thread should throw some light:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...elt-chain.html
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
No car is perfect. Having said that, all those extras would jack up the price further.
========
I don’t think the BS6 Jazz has anything special to warrant an upgrade from the BS4 Jazz. What say?
It wont be a major upgrade as the specifications are the same. It will be only in terms of BSVI. I am happy with what i have.

so far i have done the normal servicings & changed the required components as suggested by service manual. I only had to change the brake pads & i carry out the wheel alignment, balancing & rotation preferably after every 5k or 7k kms. So far my Jazz had done more than 35k kms. I work offshore & get to drive her after every 3 or 4 months, but i make sure i cover up all the kms while i am holidaying at home .
I wanted to updrage the tyres and alloys, but i am waiting for the current ones to get worn out.
daredemon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:19   #35
KPR
BANNED

Honda please understand this isn't your activa scooter. It's a car, it's a Jazz and your product Jazz is not even in sales chart forget being a leader like activa. Jazz/WRV needs a 1.5 petrol as atleast an option alongside 1.5D. Not every buyer prefer a turbo petrol. We Indians have been forced upon by manufacturers with turbo petrols. Your 1.5 NA petrol is a gem. Put that in WRV/Jazz.

Last edited by KPR : 11th August 2020 at 13:20.
KPR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Exactly, the Jazz buyer isn’t fooled by silly gimmicks and high technology, less reliable options in the segment. This is the name of the game for dependable transportation.
I think there is a difference between features that add value and those you refer to as silly/gimmicky ones. I value simplicity, reliability and fuss-free ownership as much as you do. However, it would be nice to have quality features and a few nice touches in addition to that.

For example, the sunroof is a wonderful feature to have and it is nice to see it make its way to the new Jazz. In contrast, ambient lighting that can be synchronised to the music (as is available on the Kia Seltos) sounds like a horrible idea and I'd pay extra to not have it! You are right about the not insignificant increase that adding the features I listed is likely to have on the price. I hope that there would still be market for it but perhaps I am asking for too much.
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredemon View Post
so far i have done the normal servicings & changed the required components as suggested by service manual. I only had to change the brake pads & i carry out the wheel alignment, balancing & rotation

I wanted to updrage the tyres and alloys, but i am waiting for the current ones to get worn out.
That’s good to hear, it shouldn’t need much other than routine maintenance.

In my opinion, once you move away from the stock rim specifications, be prepared for premature suspension wear due to the modified driving dynamics of new geometry. I think the stock rims with 195 section tyres should satisfy your urge. I agree that this Jazz is under tyred for the chassis. In other markets, it’s sold with 16 inch alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Your 1.5 NA petrol is a gem. Put that in WRV/Jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
I think there is a difference between features that add value and those you refer to as silly/gimmicky ones. I value simplicity, reliability and fuss-free ownership as much as you do. However, it would be nice to have quality features and a few nice touches in addition to that.

I hope that there would still be market for it but perhaps I am asking for too much.
Couldn’t agree with you’ll more. In fact, I think they should offer the 1.5 NA in the true RS guise & let the market decide which engine the masses prefer. The sooner Honda does that, the better. However they should offer the current 1.2 NA alongside for those that don’t want the extra power/higher price.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 11th August 2020 at 13:40. Reason: Edited to combine 2 posts
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 14:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This thread should throw some light:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...elt-chain.html
So, it confirms that Honda Jazz (nee Fit) has a steel belt. So, one more plus for Jazz CVT over rivals, IMO.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 14:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
So, it confirms that Honda Jazz (nee Fit) has a steel belt.
I thought virtually all car CVTs had the metal push belt, even the infamous Nissan-JATCO CVTs!

Weber State University videov

Lubrizol reference:

https://360.lubrizol.com/2013/Contin...ions-Belt-Type

Nissan CVT teardown:

CVT belt steel elements highlighted:

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-screenshot_20200811144423__01.jpg

Last edited by vipul_singh : 11th August 2020 at 14:50.
vipul_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 15:03   #40
BHPian

I have a 2015 iDtec Jazz and I opted for V model instead of VX then. It has Magic Seats, Rear Spoiler and a different infotainment system over the V model and none of them influenced my choice of the V over VX. Yes Magic Seats are USP of Jazz but it doesn't make up the whole car. As stated by many above, there is no hatchback as voluminous as Jazz and it fairs better than many in the overall ownership experience in that segment. We have fewer threads on issues related to Jazz and it shows how reliable it is.

Given the usage/sales pattern, Honda would have decided to go with petrol alone, but, I for one really miss the Oil Burner. Drive-ability and being light on pocket will be surely missed. As far as the discussion between 1.2 L and 1.5 L, Honda wouldn't want to miss the exercise benefits and for an urban commuter 1.2 is a better choice. With the tried and trusted CVT its going to be a boon in this hapless traffic.

What baffles me about the 1.5 L engine request is, we are not asking the same to i20 or Baleno. Does this conclude that, both i20 and Baleno are not worth the 1.5 L engines?

Don't think this new version is going to tilt the prospects and burn the charts. But, will keep the model healthy, relevant than being obsolete.

Last edited by saisree : 11th August 2020 at 15:12.
saisree is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 10:38   #41
BHPian

I can't for the life of me understand why do you develop an excellent CVT diesel and restrict it only to the amaze. I have a CVT amaze diesel and it's excellent, very fast and fuel efficient.
Am sure it would have done wonders in jazz /WRV, I for one would have brought the jazz if it had that combo over amaze . Must be some internal politics.
terra85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 10:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why do you develop an excellent CVT diesel and restrict it only to the amaze.
Must be some internal politics
Guess Honda lacks a couple of street smart management team. Shouldn’t be dependent on management degree holders alone going by textbooks.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
... Yes Magic Seats are USP of Jazz but it doesn't make up the whole car.
The problem is, from Magic seats they went diametrically opposite to fixed headrests, even in the top trim. This is THE one factor why I am holding back my cheque for Honda. I suppose you agree that a adjustable headrest is more basic than a sunroof.
Can any long term owners share how inconvenient or otherwise this is for rear seat passengers in their experience.

The second factor, which I hope Honda corrects now, is the 6 month service interval for Jazz, while Amaze and WRV with the same engine have a 12 month interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
What baffles me about the 1.5 L engine request is, we are not asking the same to i20 or Baleno. Does this conclude that, both i20 and Baleno are not worth the 1.5 L engines?
By all accounts the K12M is a gem in terms of both power and efficiency. The dual VVT makes it even better. As for (new) i20, it sure is going to have the 1.0 turbo, possibly in the 120PS tune. From whatever I've heard, 1.2 iVtec is lethargic, in spite of the 90 horses on paper. And why deny the Diesel when you have the inventory already!!

ps: Registered my interest and got a call from Honda within seconds. The fellow didn't give anything specific away on launch date, but said things are moving faster than they anticipated, and it could be within this month.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 11:34   #44
BHPian

Btw isn't the new (but even uglier) Jazz on the way to India next year? Think this version looks way better but still if anyone buying this now will be using an outdated model pretty soon. I always liked the current Jazz's styling, like someone said, it's a fill it shut it and drive it car with no racy intentions.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:34   #45
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
The problem is, from Magic seats they went diametrically opposite to fixed headrests, even in the top trim. This is THE one factor why I am holding back my cheque for Honda. I suppose you agree that a adjustable headrest is more basic than a sunroof.
Can any long term owners share how inconvenient or otherwise this is for rear seat passengers in their experience.

The second factor, which I hope Honda corrects now, is the 6 month service interval for Jazz, while Amaze and WRV with the same engine have a 12 month interval.

By all accounts the K12M is a gem in terms of both power and efficiency. The dual VVT makes it even better. As for (new) i20, it sure is going to have the 1.0 turbo, possibly in the 120PS tune. From whatever I've heard, 1.2 iVtec is lethargic, in spite of the 90 horses on paper.
That indeed, is one of the sore points. I dearly miss this one feature from the older Jazz. How much do adjustable head rests cost

The service interval, beyond the warranty period, is just on paper. I drive 15000+ kms a year and get her serviced once a year, not a single issue to date (either from the showroom or from my car). It's probably the handiwork of a bean counter at Honda trying to generate some cash flow.

Where do u drive? The 1.2vtec is lethargic on the highways but is perfect for start-stop city traffic. Besides, I can count the number of times I have tried 0-100 timings in my 10+ years of cumulative ownership, hardly ever. And if I need the push back in the seat type of feeling on an empty highway stretch, I take my Versys
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed