Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 12:43   #46
BHPian

re: Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
The problem is, from Magic seats they went diametrically opposite to fixed headrests, even in the top trim. This is THE one factor why I am holding back my cheque for Honda. I suppose you agree that a adjustable headrest is more basic than a sunroof.
Can any long term owners share how inconvenient or otherwise this is for rear seat passengers in their experience.
This was one of the major reasons why i dropped the Jazz. The rear seat headrests are utterly useless for anyone who is taller than 5.3 ft. According to me, its a major discomfort and a safety issue. The Jazz feels as if it was only designed as a 2 seater in terms of looks and features and the rear seat occupants were thought to be luggage for they wont need any feature, comfort, etc. Everyone in my family is taller than 5.3 ft and when they sat in the rear seat of the Jazz, they instantly rejected it as we do long drives and you cannot be in comfort in a moving car without your head having something to rest on.

Another point, I am glad they are giving those gorgeous LED headlights. That was one major "not so premium" thing that is been fixed. Another important point I want to add, its AC is just borderline ok. 2 very close friends have a Jazz and I have had first hand experience of it. They badly need a rear AC vent for the entire volume that car is. Do check that out too.

And on the whole discussion of Jazz CVT being smoother than the i20 and Baleno, I think its baseless. I have driven all 3 cars for long distances and you won't feel any jerkiness in either of them. What is different is the pickup and the ability to gain speed while in motion. But if someone says that Jazz is a smoother CVT vs the 2, then I will disagree.

The Jazz is spacious, its premiumness is in the way its put together, NVH is better than Baleno and at par with i20. Drive it, touch it and see if you like the car for what it offers.
Dieselritzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 12:44   #47
BHPian

This car poses a very interesting marketing problem.

Number 1- It is a good looking car. That is a very good start. But then, WRV is more practical and equally good looking. So, within the company they both needs to be distinctly differentiated. They both need to move further away from each other.
Question is how do you do it? What Honda did is to cut WRV off CVT. But this move has backfired.
So, what can be done? Well, if you decide to keep both, then have CVT for WRV too. Given a choice, people would buy either WRV or Jazz, it is a personal choice, or horizontal differentiation. I'd say, give 1.5L petrol to WRV to make it more powerful. Make Jazz orient to more practicality (Split/folding seats), bright colours which are not on WRV, and cozy knick knacks, and position it to women drivers.

Number 2- How does it fair vs competition? Well, that battle is already lost. So, be happy with what you can sell, till you decide to bring a new version. This Jazz is not going to set the sales chart ablaze, irrespective of whatever marketing effort put in now.
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 12:54   #48
BHPian

Wow! The good gets better.

I got the CVT VX variant in Oct. last year and it has been such a satisfying experience owning the Jazz (the ownership review is in works).

After almost a year of ownership, I can vouch that absolutely nothing in the premium hatch segment on offer would have suited my needs better.

Ergonomics, handling, finish, service, everything spot on.

The sunroof and LED lights all over makes this is an even better package (I believe this is not necessarily a value addition to Jazz, but such are the demands of the mass market).

I am wondering if there are any updates on the interiors and why not offer the latest generation of Jazz (it looks evolutionary and modern, would have created quite a buzz)
Old 12th August 2020, 13:01   #49
BHPian

The car looks smashing!!
I have always been an admirer of the Jazz design - though it never really sold to its potential in India.

Looks & features like cruise control, paddle shift, sunroof - make this package really good. People still trust the Honda brand.

Honda should be reasonable and price it right and they should have a winner on their hands.

In India there is a mindset of hatchbacks being smaller (read "cheaper") cars. Honda will make a huge mistake if they think they can charge a premium for the Jazz.

Fingers crossed sense will prevail.
Old 12th August 2020, 13:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post

And on the whole discussion of Jazz CVT being smoother than the i20 and Baleno, I think its baseless. I have driven all 3 cars for long distances and you won't feel any jerkiness in either of them. What is different is the pickup and the ability to gain speed while in motion. But if someone says that Jazz is a smoother CVT vs the 2, then I will disagree.

The Jazz is spacious, its premiumness is in the way its put together, NVH is better than Baleno and at par with i20. Drive it, touch it and see if you like the car for what it offers.
Baleno is an excellent package. I agree. My F-in-L had zeroed in on Baleno CVT, too, to trade in his 7 year-old Alto. He backed out only because of lack of cruise control. Paddle shifts are not of any significance to him but cruise control is. He has this twice monthly highway trip and yes, you can use cruise control in my state, unlike many others, provided you keep speeds at 70-80. He is a Maruti man so I couldn't bring him to Honda fold. Now, he is weighing Brezza AT since it has cruise control.

Baleno is the most proportionate and handsome hatchback there is today, in our market. Looks a bit Volvo V40-ish. The only other hatchback I found as good looking was Chevy SRV of mid-2000s. Heard of it? Anyway, Jazz is good-looking, too in its own right. A bit MUV-ish. Not everyone likes it though. But, with a little body-cladding et al, it's transformed into a good looker. And, Jazz's engine is super silent and smooth. I found it a shade better than Baleno's. That's my finding. :-)

Last edited by Aditya : 12th August 2020 at 20:30. Reason: CC changed to cruise control
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 15:25   #51

Honda has always positioned their cars as premium. However, most people prefer frills like start-stop button, touch screen infotainment and most recently sunroof, even in hatchbacks. I always wanted to buy jazz, but had to wait a long time during its initial launch, so canceled the booking. Honda has been behind the curve in Indian market in terms of features it offers vis-a-vis its' price.
Old 12th August 2020, 15:46   #52
Team-BHP Support

The sheer bloody-mindedness of Honda in never offering a fully loaded Jazz in India (magic seats and all) powered by the 1.5L petrol motor remains a pet peeve of mine.

Who cares if it could cannibalize sales of another Honda car? You make money either way, instead of handing the entire segment on a plate to competition.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 15:52   #53
BHPian

I own a Jazz Vx CVT (2018) and an Innova Crysta Z At (2019) and couldn't be happier with both the choices. Jazz is a perfect city car with the smoothest engine and transmission available today, ready from day One for the bumper to bumper traffic that my city happily offers. I'm not sure why everyone complains about the head-unit, since its perfect (well...almost). Its not for the highways for sure, which I painfully experienced in few drives. Rubber band effect offered by the CVT transmission and the lame 1.2 engine are to be blamed here. The owners of Jazz may agree with me that something strange happens once the car crosses 10K KMS. It starts to breathe in better and feels more powerful. Apart from everything, my Mother and in-laws love the backseat of Jazz over Innova, I can never understand why
mug:mush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:14   #54
BHPian

Being Honda owner myself, it disappoints me how manufacturers don't use full resources at their disposal. They can use 1.5 Petrol engine for Jazz/WRV but don't. They can give cvt-diesel combo to Jazz/WRV/City but don't. They can bring 1.0 turbo and start RS lineup. They are bringing many innovative ideas in theri global lineup(e.g. HondaE, Hybrid Fit/Jazz) but they don't take our market seriously.
Hemantteen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 19:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why do you develop an excellent CVT diesel and restrict it only to the amaze. I have a CVT amaze diesel and it's excellent, very fast and fuel efficient.
Am sure it would have done wonders in jazz /WRV, I for one would have brought the jazz if it had that combo over amaze . Must be some internal politics.
Precisely - I went to the showroom to buy Jazz, but test drove the Diesel Amaze CVT and the power it produced made me choose that over Jazz in 2018. Yes, Honda to consider this wonderful combination on a great car like Jazz

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 21:01   #56
BHPian

We own the BS4 Jazz, having bought it in 2015. Except the lethargic engine, there is nothing to complain about the car. It is a bit of issue to take the car on inclines. Need to think twice before visiting any place in the hills. If the BS6 Jazz would have come with the 1.5L engine, we would have really considered upgrading our Jazz with the new one.
Old 12th August 2020, 21:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Precisely - I went to the showroom to buy Jazz, but test drove the Diesel Amaze CVT and the power it produced made me choose that over Jazz in 2018.

Swami
Very interesting question to ask Honda or have they got some problems with the combination which they aren't talking about.
Old 12th August 2020, 23:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
It is a bit of issue to take the car on inclines. Need to think twice before visiting any place in the hills. If the BS6 Jazz would have come with the 1.5L engine, we would have really considered upgrading our Jazz with the new one.
I have a 2010 Jazz and I weekly drive to Shimla. Also I have done entire Himachal including Rohtang pass on it. Not sure if this issue is with the new version.

I am looking to upgrade Jazz for my wife and new City for myself (if hybrid is launched). As for new version, I will only get one which was launched in Japan recently. Till then I will wait and hope they arrive in 2021 (knowing Honda it could be 2024 ).
sunnsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 23:14   #59

Yes, Fuss Free 4+ years from my experience
Old 12th August 2020, 23:36   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Overall - too little, too late - especially with the next generation Hyundai i20 1.0 Turbo coming in next month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphodb View Post
What's Jazz's USP always been? That it has more space than anything in its segment. And magic seats were never marketed the way they should have been. Throw in projector lights and little updates here and there and they can still sell this one. That is, until they bring the updated Honda Fit/Jazz to India in a sub-4m avatar.
Jazz CVT is the best hatchback for a family of 4 especially with young kids and older people around. No other hatch provides the same level of space, comfort and a smooth CVT gearbox. Yes the rubber band affect is present and the body panels are not that great, but these are the 2 compromises that I had to make while deciding this car. Another feature is the fantastic mileage I get when driven sedately around 80-90 km/hr. Still I cannot break the records posted by @Mahajan sir. Getting a mileage of 20 from a 1 ton petrol automatic car is indeed marvelous engineering from Honda. Attaching odo pics from my usual weekly trip Trivandrum-Kollam-Trivandrum. My car has completed 42k in 3 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-img_20200810_082005.jpg  

Honda Jazz BS6, now launched at Rs. 7.5 lakhs-img_20200810_082012.jpg  

rahulskumar is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed