Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2020, 13:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

3rd-gen Volvo S60 to be launched in India in early 2021

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion on the S60 review thread (Volvo S60 : Official Review). Thanks!

Volvo is planning to launch the third generation S60 in India in the first quarter of next year.

3rd-gen Volvo S60 to be launched in India in early 2021-thirdgenvolvos60frontthreequarters29f0.jpg

Charles Frump, Managing Director, Volvo Car India, has stated in an interview that the carmaker had initially planned to launch the new S60 in Q4 2020. But, the launch had to be pushed to early 2021 due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.

3rd-gen Volvo S60 to be launched in India in early 2021-thirdgenvolvos60profilebcf2.jpg

In India, the third generation S60 will be offered with one petrol engine and in a single trim level. Frump did not disclose any details, but reports suggest that the car could be offered in the top-spec R-Design trim and is likely to be powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder, turbo-petrol engine producing 187 BHP. This is the same engine that powers the XC40 in India. The India-spec S60 T4 is expected to be front-wheel drive and could be offered with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

3rd-gen Volvo S60 to be launched in India in early 2021-thirdgenvolvos60rearthreequarters0b9e.jpg

The third generation S60 gets a redesigned exterior featuring Thor's hammer LED daytime running lights at the front and C-shaped LED tail lights. On the inside, the car gets a vertically mounted touchscreen infotainment head-unit.

3rd-gen Volvo S60 to be launched in India in early 2021-thirdgenvolvos60interiordd2c.jpg

Just like its predecessor, the new S60 comes loaded with a host of safety features. These include auto braking at city speeds for collision mitigation, run-off road mitigation, steering assistant, lane assistant, and cross traffic alert. The car also gets an optional pilot assist system, that Volvo claims can take over the steering, acceleration and braking of the car at speeds up to 128 km/h.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2020 at 08:23. Reason: Linking to review
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 13:21   #2
BHPian

Re: 3rd-gen Volvo S60 to be launched in India in early 2021

It was just today I happened to read an ownership thread on the same vehicle and was wondering why isn't it sold anymore. Excited to see this!

The console in the previous generation was a little cluttered for my liking, but the new touch screen console makes it look really lovely.

Last edited by manson : 14th August 2020 at 16:59. Reason: Typo.
slayer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 14:18   #3
BHPian

I've been waiting for them to launch it in India since early last year. Unfortunately, the car hasn't been selling too well due to the SUV/CUV onslaught.

I think they should bring it with the T5 (250 HP) rather than the T4 (190 HP). If only for the novelty considering it's quite a bit slower than the 330i.

Another option worth considering is the T6 TwinEngine or the T8 TwinEngine plug-in hybrids. With approx. 50 km electric only range, it should suffice for the daily office run. And a 5.2 sec to 100 kmph (4.6 for the T8) car with no range anxiety for the weekend!

I feel it should be viable for them because the ex-showroom price difference between the XC90 D5 Inscription and T8 Inscription is around 9L, which is comparable to the price difference between the BMW 3 Series (Sport) and the Luxury/M-Sport variants and equivalent MB C Class models.

On a side note, GoI can temporarily consider FAME incentives for CBUs to build interest among consumers.
saur95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 08:05   #4
BHPian

The current generation T6 will be a great lateral upgrade in coming years with her 300bhp mill. On the upside, a T4 may find many more takers vs current gen thirsty T6. Though i must admit, the current gen looks very small/compact on the outside. This new one seems to have better road presence too.
Entsurgeon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 19:50   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Volvo is planning to launch the third generation S60 in India in the first quarter of next year.
Am becoming a big fan of Volvo's sculpted, well-proportioned lines. They are easily no.2 behind Mercedes - in terms of styling - because Audi is the same & BMW has developed some weird obsession with oversized grilles.

Quote:
Frump did not disclose any details, but reports suggest that the car could be offered in the top-spec R-Design trim and is likely to be powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder, turbo-petrol engine producing 187 BHP. This is the same engine that powers the XC40 in India. The India-spec S60 T4 is expected to be front-wheel drive and could be offered with an 8-speed automatic transmission.
Will be quite ordinary in this class of cars. Also, while Volvo has gotten the designs & quality bang-on, their tuning of engines & AT gearboxes isn't there yet. They should put some more development into that. The way their engines + ATs respond isn't as snappy as say, BMW or even Mercedes. Same with Jaguar, I was quite disappointed with the XE's AT gearbox tuning.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 20:44   #6
GBX
BHPian

So the most expensive models are petrol plugin hybrids only. Diesels only for mid range. And finally petrol only at the bottom of the range.

Surely if they've homologated these engines, it would be better to offer it in more cars? I don't think it's farfetched to think a customer would walk across to BMW/Merc if they don't get the choice of fuel they want.
Old 20th November 2020, 15:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

The third generation Volvo S60 will be unveiled in India on November 27, 2020, while the official launch will take place in the first quarter of 2021.

3rd-gen Volvo S60 to be launched in India in early 2021-smartselect_20201120153657_chrome.jpg

https://www.carandbike.com/news/new-...-month-2327871

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th November 2020 at 15:37.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 21:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am becoming a big fan of Volvo's sculpted, well-proportioned lines. They are easily no.2 behind Mercedes - in terms of styling - because Audi is the same & BMW has developed some weird obsession with oversized grilles.
I am in the market looking for an upgrade to my Dodge charger AWD. I am eyeing the S90 due to space and elegance over the S60. But then when you test drive the Audi A6, BMW 5 series and the Jaguar somehow Volvo looses on the drivability part. The interior and luxury is top notch. The T5 variant is not so good but the T6 inspiration has everything that one can think of. The turbo supercharged engine is fun but the refinement and fun is not upto the mark like the Jaguars or BMWs. Its so difficult to convince yourself to pick a Volvo over these and land up into a minority. Reliability on Volvo cars is also a question.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 09:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Its so difficult to convince yourself to pick a Volvo over these and land up into a minority. Reliability on Volvo cars is also a question.
Back in 2012, my brother convinced himself to buy a Volvo S60, he was looking for something apart from the big three. Reliability turned out to be an issue. I don't know if it was a one off thing but we faced a lot of issues with the electronics. First the speed sensor failed which leads to multiple errors showing up on the dash (really scary when on a long drive), then a couple of weeks later it displayed a transmission service required error, which turned out to be an issue with the solenoid, then again another speed sensor failed and later we started getting a message on the dash saying City Safety service required which turned out to be an issue with one of the parking sensors. We also faced an issue with the parking brake, the brake on one of the wheels would not deactivate sometimes (issue with the actuator). After that my brother decided to just stick to the big three, now it's 2 since God knows what Audi is doing.
BMvW.Rajat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 06:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I am in the market looking for an upgrade to my Dodge charger AWD. I am eyeing the S90 due to space and elegance over the S60. But then when you test drive the Audi A6, BMW 5 series and the Jaguar somehow Volvo looses on the drivability part. The interior and luxury is top notch. The T5 variant is not so good but the T6 inspiration has everything that one can think of. The turbo supercharged engine is fun but the refinement and fun is not upto the mark like the Jaguars or BMWs. Its so difficult to convince yourself to pick a Volvo over these and land up into a minority. Reliability on Volvo cars is also a question.
Sir Volvo’s reliability is known to be the best among all the other European counterparts.
Old 25th November 2020, 14:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMvW.Rajat View Post
Back in 2012, my brother convinced himself to buy a Volvo S60
That is a very bad experience with the car. Which model did he get? diesel/ petrol, T3/5, please elaborate if you can. thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 14:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is DOA as far as I'm concerned due to that sad engine. I've had a mostly trouble free experience with my V40 and it has held up really well even after five years of ownership.

I'd have bought another Volvo if they had interesting engine options. However the T4 engine basically kills it for me. The VEA T4 is underpowered, feels sluggish and isn't very refined either unlike the ford era T4 which my V40 has.

Looks like choices are now limited to BMW and Mercedes now since Audi is pretty much dead in India.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 15:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
That is a very bad experience with the car. Which model did he get? diesel/ petrol, T3/5, please elaborate if you can. thanks
It was a Diesel D5. The company had no excuses nor any proper explanation for the issues. The first speed sensor failed during the warranty period and the rest of the issues happened post warranty. It got really annoying after the 2nd time, we actually started to think that we made a mistake buying the car. On the bright side, the repair bills were very reasonable for a luxury car, the amount didn't bother us, it was the reliability and the fact that we would be filed with trepidation in case we had to take this on a long trip.
BMvW.Rajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 11:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This is DOA as far as I'm concerned due to that sad engine.
The new S60s come with a T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid as well, if offered in India, would that be a reliable long term serving engine? 5-10 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Looks like choices are now limited to BMW and Mercedes now since Audi is pretty much dead in India.
What about Lexus ES 300h?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMvW.Rajat View Post
it was the reliability and the fact that we would be filed with trepidation in case we had to take this on a long trip.
My condolences for going through such troubles on a new car. Did you sell it or it is still in service with you?

BTW

Isn't this the unveiling day today for the new S60 in India?
Old 27th November 2020, 12:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
The new S60s come with a T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid as well, if offered in India, would that be a reliable long term serving engine? 5-10 years?
Honestly I have no experience with this engine and can't comment. It sounds great on paper though. But since it is not offered in India other than in the top end XC90, it is kind of pointless to discuss it.

Quote:
What about Lexus ES 300h?
Its a boring car - not meant for self driving. It is basically a Camry with new clothes. Might as well buy a Camry instead. Also IMHO it is extremely overpriced for what it offers.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 27th November 2020 at 12:10.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks