Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th August 2020, 07:05   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Good cars in India that were let down by lacklustre engines

The 2 cylinder Diesel engine by Maruti definitely takes the cake
adi58 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 08:46   #92

I would say Mitsibishi Lancer, although the car had the 'cool looks' factor but was powered by underpowered engines. The lancer we had here was based on evo 4 and evo 10 was launched in 2008 worldwide. There were two engines on offer, 1.5-litre petrol engine which produced 85hp of power and a peak torque of 132Nm. Competition had Maruti Baleno and City Vtec which were leagues ahead in terms of performance. It also had a diesel engine option. It was a 2.0-litre engine that produced a mere 68hp of power and 122Nm of torque which was unrefined and often emitting thick smoke. Image source Google
Attached Thumbnails
Good cars in India that were let down by lacklustre engines-lancer.jpg  

the.shivaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 21:29   #93

The Honda City diesel and Honda civic deserves a special mention here
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:55   #94
BHPian

Does anyone remember driving an Opel Astra? Both the petrol and diesel engines were absolute dogs. My dad's friend had one. Couldn't climb up a mild incline without shifting down to first. I've never seen such a well made car bogged down by such lethargic engines (I remember reading that the diesel had a 0-100 kmph time of 17 seconds ). Not surprisingly, both engines were guzzlers. While it looked fab and was extremely well made, my dad's Esteem felt much more alive.

The Corsa came after the Astra was discontinued. Also well made, had one of the best ride quality this side of a Mercedes, but both engines (1.4 and 1.6) were lackluster.

GM continued this tradition with the pair of petrol engines in the Optra and the Aveo. They totally redeemed themselves with the firecracker of that 2 liter diesel in the Optra Magnum, though. That one would make a good case for an average car with a great engine.

Last edited by evilmessiah : 23rd August 2020 at 19:56.
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:15   #95

Adding the Jetta with the 1.4 TSI to the list. With 121BHP on tap I could only wish they had put in the newer EA211 1.4TSI with 150BHP available on the Octavia.

All things said it still has a respectable power to weight figure compared to some bigger cars mentioned on this thread with a 0-100 in the 10 sec range.
Old 23rd August 2020, 23:11   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I would add Chevrolet Beat diesel to the list.

It was a well built, fun to drive small car but the 998cc MJD derived from fiat's 1.3 was slow!! 58 bhp on a car that was almost 900 kg.

It was noisy at highway speeds and it lacked a top end. I owned one for 90,000 km and there have been many times that I regretted taking it on the highway runs instead of my swift diesel.

For a car that had relatively sorted dynamics, looked great and was extremely city-friendly, the beat definitely deserved a more powerful diesel engine.

I can say the same about my sumo gold - 85bhp and 250 Nm from a 3.0 liter diesel in a 2 tonne car! But that was a case of terrible engine in a terrible car.

SCross is another car that deserves a much powerful diesel (also now a much powerful petrol than that 1.5). It is one of those rare maruti cars that is built well and actually connects with the driver. On the highway, beyond a certain triple digit speed, engine feels handicapped while the chassis is eager to be pushed harder and harder. Sad!
Chevrolet beat is the worthy contender for this topic, although fuel efficient it struggles to keep up on every highway run. I was planning for a DieselTRONIC upgrade, but sold the car prematurely at 35000 Kms due to onsite opportunity.
Herr_Autobahn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 11:59   #97
Senior - BHPian

I'd have to nominate my own car for this - the Honda Jazz. I stand by my decision to buy it as its reliability, space and flexibility still can't be matched, even by its own successor.

Even the engine has aged very well and 10 years on, she's still refined enough to make you wonder if the car's actually on. But the low rev performance is simply terrible. If you dare to have anyone apart from the driver on board, it'll beg for mercy. Highway overtakes don't need planning, they need strategy. I understand why they had to go with the downsized engine, but given how easy a swap to the City's 1.5 petrol is, it's a real shame that this car got stuck with a compromised engine. In fact, I've found that in the new WR-V and Jazz, this same engine has gained no performance, but is noisier.

Last edited by Tushar : 25th August 2020 at 12:03.
Tushar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:37   #98
BHPian

My vote goes for 2 cylinder maruti engine
Sounds like 300cc 4 stroke bike engine.

What worst can we expect from manufacturers in regards to engine? Being a linea owner, I hoped for 1.6 MJD (though never launched) under the hood, sadly company left leaving FCA behind. Such a well built car with no power in first gear
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:17   #99
BHPian

Did we miss the Marazzo. Excellent vehicle otherwise.
The 1.5 Diesel seems inadequate for an MUV with that bulk.
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

How about the Tata Estate, Tata Sierra and the Tata Sumo ? They are all well purposed underpowered behemoths, especially the earliest ones.
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
How about the Tata Estate, Tata Sierra and the Tata Sumo ? They are all well purposed underpowered behemoths, especially the earliest ones.
Well, not quite.
Different era, different context.

I believe except for the rare Rover Montega(?), most diesels sold in India at that point howered around the 40bhp mark. Even the 2000cc HM-Isuzu engines had around 53ish bhp.

68bhp was not bad for a diesel of that era. Not just India, world over in the pre-crdi era. They were decently refined too.

The later 90bhp turbo diesels too had decent performance. Atleast in the Sierra, not the Safari.

Early model Tatas were definitely not let down by their engines, but other reasons.

Heck, most of the drivers thought that the 68bhp was too much for the dynamics of the Sumo.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:07   #102
BHPian

What is a good car if it does not have an engine to do justice to it?

But having said that, I feel the sub 4mtr and 1.2 Lt limitation seriously affected some offering. For instance, VW offered a 1.2 ltr Polo just for the base model to have a low introductory price but the engine clearly could not do justice to the car.

Ford is not offering the 1.5 in normal Figo or Freestyle even though they offer it in South Africa. The petrol pot from the ecosport would make both these cars sure-shot winners!!

We today have a plethora of 3 cylinder pots, often hackjobs of their 1.5 ltr 4 cylinder variants just to meet these norms. 3 cylinder petrols with turbo boosters may be refined and powerful today, but nothing beats the ease and reliability of 4 cylinder NA engines!
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:16   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Well, not quite.

68bhp was not bad for a diesel of that era.

Early model Tatas were definitely not let down by their engines, but other reasons.

Heck, most of the drivers thought that the 68bhp was too much for the dynamics of the Sumo.
I have a personal story about the Sumo and its performance capability or lack thereof that borders on outright dangerous, but I will reserve it for another occasion. Suffice to say that it was very badly let down by its power to weight ratio that day.
PS: its not about overtaking, which is mostly a judgement call.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 22nd October 2020 at 12:21.
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:57   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Well, not quite.
========
It's not just about BHP numbers but also about power to weight ratio. None of the competition you mentioned or thought were tipping the scales at 2 ton.
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:49   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
What about 1.5L Maruti petrol engine coupled with 4 speed ancient auto gearbox? Even the S cross gets it now. Sad that the same car was launched with a stonker 1.6L engine.

Folks who have this combo can chime in with their perspectives. I have driven this 1.5L petrol engine with manual transmission and it is good. How does the engine fare with the auto gearbox in real world conditions?
I own the Ciaz AT and can confirm that 4 speed gearbox is a letdown on highways. It's more than adequate in city driving conditions, though.

With the S-Cross and Brezza both getting the same gearbox, and both being heavier than the Ciaz, we're going to see more owners complain about this.

Since more people are opting for automatic gear boxes, MSIL should seriously wake up and add a 5 or 6-speed torque converter gearbox soon.

Most Viewed