Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2020, 19:11   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised

Here Sirish has mentioned it is the Nexon EV.

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-f795657c209241e4a51db944f7687577.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 08:44   #167
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz Turbo spied

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-fb_img_16081748108053404.jpg

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-fb_img_16081748156369777.jpg

Source : Rushlane
Venkatesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:37   #168
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz Turbo Petrol could be launched on January 13

It looks like Tata Motors could be gearing up to launch the Altroz Turbo Petrol on January 13, 2021.

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-download-16.jpg

According to a leaked document, the Altroz will be offered with a 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine that produces 108 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 140 Nm @ 1,500-5,500 rpm. It is expected to be paired to a 5-speed manual transmission. It could also get a dual-clutch automatic transmission.

The Altroz Turbo could come in a new shade of Blue, which was not offered on the Altroz at launch. Spy images indicate that the car will look similar to the standard Altroz except for the 'iturbo' badge on the black rear fascia. The smoked tail lamps and alloy wheels are also expected to be carried over from the non-turbo version.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 22nd December 2020 at 17:44.
TusharK is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:43   #169
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz Turbo Petrol could be launched on January 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It looks like Tata Motors could be gearing up to launch the Altroz Turbo Petrol on January 13, 2021.

Attachment 2095931

According to a leaked document, the Altroz will be offered with a 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine that produces 108 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 140 Nm @ 1,500-5,500 rpm. It is expected to be paired to a 5-speed manual transmission. It could also get a dual-clutch automatic transmission.

The Altroz Turbo could come in a new shade of Blue, which was not offered on the Altroz at launch. Spy images indicate that the car will look similar to the standard Altroz except for the 'iturbo' badge on the black rear fascia. The smoked tail lamps and alloy wheels are also expected to be carried over from the non-turbo version.
If this is introduced, it will be good for the category who is looking forward to a manual turbo. Any idea how reliable that technology is, considering other players are shying away from it.

I would assume a manual turbo would be less costly than an automatic turbo. Something does not add up - maybe based on the demand.

Last edited by SupratikDebnath : 22nd December 2020 at 17:45.
SupratikDebnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:50   #170
Senior - BHPian

What's with 5 speed's these days, they are becoming more like those 800 4 speed transmissions.

Manufacturers should start getting 6 speeders for every car they launch now. Altroz is by no lengths a cheap car.
humyum is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:47   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
What's with 5 speed's these days, they are becoming more like those 800 4 speed transmissions.

Manufacturers should start getting 6 speeders for every car they launch now. Altroz is by no lengths a cheap car.
Its not that straight forward, not just about numbers. Spaced & judged correctly - 5 speeders turn out to be better (at least more convenient) for most regular usage patterns. Number doesn't matter, ratio does.

I had a Vista MJD with 5 speed transmission. Compare the ratio of its 5th gear with that of the 1st gen Figo - and it looked like a 6th or even 7th! Today I drive with a 6 speed car. Of course I enjoy this too - but there are too many gear changes for not much to gain.

For most usage IMHO 5 gears with correct ratio (tall 5th) & overdrive in 5th is more than enough for a regular car. Add to that the annoying beeps over 100 all the time and you'll agree more with my point.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd December 2020 at 18:50.
Reinhard is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:59   #172
BHPian

Is Tata planning to launch the DCT variant next month?

Considering their delay in launching cars with requirements that the market actually needs, they might skip it for 2022 (sorry if a bit exaggerated).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd December 2020 at 19:34. Reason: Punctuation and spacing.
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:35   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

[108 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 140 Nm @ 1,500-5,500 rpm. It is expected to be paired to a 5-speed manual transmission. It could also get a dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Link to Team-BHP News
Are you sure about the 140Nm @ 1500-5500 rpm ? Thats quite a wide torque band. It will be effortless to drive.
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:00   #174
BHPian

Finally Some movement here!
I love TATA and their cars but I simply cannot understand how people still try to defend these kind of delays. One year for a turbo version is simply not done. Also I am not sure how many would go for it in the first place. People leaning towards turbo petrol don't usually think of TATA when they are buying. It would have been great if they had an automatic version ready now even if it was with NA petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Boyy View Post
Is Tata planning to launch the DCT variant next month?

Considering their delay in launching cars with requirements that the market actually needs, they might skip it for 2022 (sorry if a bit exaggerated).
So true. In fact all rumors are stating that DCT is still undergoing testing and will make it only around Festive Season

Even Covid has mutated into a new strain faster than TATA launching a new variant.
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 19:52   #175
BHPian

Noob question. Since Tata altroz uses a transmission set up that can handle 200 Nm torque in diesel variants, why can't tata use that gearbox for the turbo variants?
Benoit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 12:19   #176
BHPian

Here is the teaser of Turbocharged 2021 Altroz.

skarthiksr is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 12:25   #177
Senior - BHPian

I just hope there is no Reveal, then pricing disclosure, media drives & finally deliveries (with a 15-20 day gap between every 2 steps). Just launch the car in 1 go & begin deliveries ASAP. They are already very late with the launch especially since it is an already proven engine in Nexon.
AkMar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 14:35   #178
BHPian

Is the engine in Nexon a Direct Injection one? Originally, Revotron was having PFI system and with turbo-charger it used to fill the gap in Torque & Power. I am not sure if the engine in Nexon is 4V / Cylinder and TGDI (Turbo-charged direct injection)?

Hyundai, VW and Mahindra moved to TGDI platforms for Gasoline. Not sure if TML has moved as well or sticking to their frugal guns? (PFI + Turbo).

In the Nexon brochure, it was only written as turbo-charged. Can anyone throw light?
Old 31st December 2020, 15:53   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
Is the engine in Nexon a Direct Injection one? Originally, Revotron was having PFI system and with turbo-charger it used to fill the gap in Torque & Power. I am not sure if the engine in Nexon is 4V / Cylinder and TGDI (Turbo-charged direct injection)?

Hyundai, VW and Mahindra moved to TGDI platforms for Gasoline. Not sure if TML has moved as well or sticking to their frugal guns? (PFI + Turbo).

In the Nexon brochure, it was only written as turbo-charged. Can anyone throw light?
Ordinary MPFI petrol engines that are turbocharged.

TGDI engines are rumoured to be on development, based on the existing 1.2l engine and also a new 1.5l engine.
As of now, the petrols in Tatas are not direct injected.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 18:18   #180
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Here is the teaser of Turbocharged 2021 Altroz.
Finally. I can consider only this teaser as a possible confirmation of turbo-Altroz, because it has the word “turbo” in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Finally Some movement here!
I love TATA and their cars but I simply cannot understand how people still try to defend these kind of delays. One year for a turbo version is simply not done. Also I am not sure how many would go for it in the first place. People leaning towards turbo petrol don't usually think of TATA when they are buying. It would have been great if they had an automatic version ready now even if it was with NA petrol.

So true. In fact all rumors are stating that DCT is still undergoing testing and will make it only around Festive Season
I don’t understand from where this “one year delay” has come from.
I believe there was no official confirmation from Tata motors that turbo-altroz was supposed to be launched one year back or at 2020 festive season. If we follow/believe/trust media’s rumours & hype, then we should blame the media for the delay, not the OEM. I love the Altroz and I too hate that it doesn’t have a turbo petrol since last year. But let’s stop bashing Tata unnecessarily like this for things they did not officially confirm for launch till now.

If you are talking Turbo petrol engine development time, we don’t how many years it took for other like Mahindra, Hyundai or Nissan to develop & test their turbo-petrols.

Hyundai/Kia, Nissan etc are global companies. They would have developed their engines for global markets years ago, so they might not need so much time to introduce it in India. It is different for Indian manufacturers. Covid too effects Indian OEMs more than global OEMs.

Mahindra has a 1.5 L turbo-petrol GDI engine under development and we don’t know when they will launch it. They might launch it with the next-gen Scorpio. That is their strategy. Maybe Tata motors doesn’t believe in that strategy. Tata motors wants to launch the product in the market ASAP and then add options later. It’s a business decision that’s based on profitability. And frankly it is working since the company is selling more than 5000 units of the car every month.We may not be happy with it or we may not agree with it. But it’s not fair to bash them for not doing things they didn’t commit.

Now, I too think they should launch automatic along with this turbo petrol engine. But is it fair to bash them for not doing it, specially when they have not committed that?

IMO, if you don’t think People leaning towards turbo-petrol usually think of TATA, then this “delay” shouldn’t even bother you that much.

I don’t understand why people assume that Tata is launching Turbo-petrol Altroz whenever they release any teaser like the recent “Altroz-Santa”. I think we need to calm down, stop getting over-excited and ignore the media Hype.
Napalm is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks