Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2021, 17:43   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
They should have given the engine in the same state of tune as the Nexon and must have given it an automatic gearbox: I think Tata will never learn and repeat the same mistake time and again. And a 5 speed gear box with a premium product is a 'no-no'.
The powers to be at TML didn't have the foresight to design the brand new Alfa platform to accomodate a 6 speed manual gearbox...or so rumours say.

So they put in the old Indica gearbox and were forced to detune the power figures. Jealous people will say it is because of lower kerb weight

Or to keep up with their new launch every six months charade will leave the Nexon tune for both the petrol and diesel for a midlife facelift.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 18:21   #257
BHPian

So this is nothing close to the Tiago JTP in terms of performance. I was expecting similar 0-100 figures if not better. So much hype for just another variant with additional features which they could've just launched at the beginning itself.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 18:30   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
So this is nothing close to the Tiago JTP in terms of performance. I was expecting similar 0-100 figures if not better. So much hype for just another variant with additional features which they could've just launched at the beginning itself.
Well thats, er.. funny.

The Tiago JTP was a special vehicle, that was performance focused. A rarity in our country, and that is why despite having the Nexon with turbo petrol on sale, Tata outsourced the performance hatchback development activities to Jayem motors.

And the Altroz turbo was never promised to be a completely performance oriented hot-hatch. Yes, this is just another variant of the already well-selling Altroz. Honestly, the heavier Altroz with lesser focus on performance, was never going to out-run the Tiago JTP - not even on paper.

Also, any car maker would create a buzz around a launch, if they intend to garner more attention and volumes. I really do not see the reason to complain here.
aravind.anand is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 18:54   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Now discontinue the NA version and provide this from the base variant, whoever wants a turbo petrol + MT at the price of a Baleno should be able to get one, that should bring in some sales.

I do not see this as a shot at i20, that thing is loaded to the gills.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 19:23   #260
BHPian

Amused at some of the responses here disliking Tata's marketing. A fundamental issue that even Team-Bhp noted was the underpowered petrol motor, at launch. Tata's have been selling at a reasonable tick since, irrespective. And now they've solved 1 key issue noted by most reviewers. I'd say it is a big deal.

As an aside: Amused that we didn't see similar feedback when Kia / Hyundai launched essentially the same car and everyone sort of went gaga over them!

Anyway. I quite like the Altroz in spirit and in flesh. And a turbo petrol with 108 on tap is quite good. Of course lot depends on how that feels on road. But power to it. Such a beautiful car.
Annibaddh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 20:08   #261
Senior - BHPian

Happy that the Altroz now gets an engine which does justice to the brilliant car.

- The biggest plus IMO is that this continues/reinforces the trend of having a car with NA/TC petrols and diesel. This should cover all buyers for their needs.
- A hidden hope that one day this will manifest into the hot-hatch we are dreaming of (150+bhp/200+Nm/1.5TC)
- Like mentioned earlier, the automatic should be next but I hope they also improve on the weird-square-needled instrument cluster with something like the latest gen City or the previous gen Tiago

Last edited by shancz : 13th January 2021 at 20:10. Reason: updated buyers
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 20:23   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors is a pretty peculiar case. Been a customer of the brand since a decade & have witnessed a rotary system of improvements & fiascos across the brand's different arms.

Learning to Walk - The Indica Era
  1. They were new. Product engineering was still learning the tricks of the trade & yet products were good.
  2. Marketing was good.
  3. Service was patchy.
  4. Sales was random.

Established Mass Player - The TAXI Era
  1. Products evolved pretty well.
  2. Quite a few engineering and feature innovations. Solid platforms - X1, X2.
  3. Exquisite marketing campaigns. Enough to pull people to showrooms as if hypnotized.
  4. Sales were abysmal. Sales staff appeared as if made to work at gun-point. Least interested in making a pitch at all. "The car is in that corner, go have a look".
  5. Service was hit & miss.

Into the "Aspirational" list - The 5 Star Era
  1. Top notch designs. By far the better looking cars on the street in almost all segments of presence.
  2. Proven safety record, good value & style - the brand gets first taste of being an aspirational one, something that can easily impress neighbours and peers too.
  3. Got rid of the Taxi maker label quite fast.
  4. Sales is quite good & polished. Definitely an improvement YoY since last 2-3 years.
  5. Service is not bad at all. Its as good as most other mass players.
  6. Marketing is a joke!

The last reasonably well made Marketing video from Tata Motors came with the 2020 Harrier launch I feel. Everything else since last 1 year - Altroz, Tiago, Nexon, Tigor on the marketing side - is very low key & in some cases outright boring.

This particular "launch video" is really rock bottom. For something really eagerly awaited, it wasn't exciting at all.
  1. The script was horribly predictable & lame. And it was not a smooth flow either. Sounded like straight cut gearbox!
  2. Content was quite poorly managed. School plays are better written.
  3. Overacting overdose!
  4. There was no real impact on the turbo's capabilities in the discussion.
  5. Too many 5 stars and safety reminders everywhere. We got it. Its a safe car! Don't make us hate safety now please.

About the car -
I have loved the Altroz from day 1. And I'm happy that the Turbo variant is finally here. The icing on the cake - a fast DCT is around the corner and that should complete the portfolio for this car. So I'm certainly happy with the launch & the engine certainly will make a wonderful addition to the solid & fun to drive chassis that the Altroz has. I don't care really that it has a 11+ second time to the ton. I'm in no hurry to hear the constant beeps anyway. I want a nice surge in the mid-range in a solid chassis. I know that the engine delivers it since it does so in the Nexon petrol too (have experienced in friend's car). Calling the engine poor / unexciting without test driving it sufficiently would simply be unfair in my opinion.

I really wish this engine-chassis combination helps the Altroz establish itself further in this segment up against the new entrants.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th January 2021 at 20:29.
Reinhard is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 20:24   #263
Team-BHP Support

The vast majority of customers don't care for sprint figures. It's pretty much impossible to sprint from a dead-stop on our roads anyway, not to mention dangerous and mostly unnecessary too.

On the highways, in-gear, roll-on acceleration will matter more, and that's something this motor is pretty good at, having grunt-on-tap in 4th & 5th without needing to drop gears too often. I enjoy that a lot more than red-lining in 2nd (which I do occasionally because the needles turning red and the accompanying howl is fun).

That said, I do think the old 5-speed is a bad choice of gearbox, and the missing auto-box is definitely a lost opportunity in that bracket. The new i20 is dangerously close to jumping a segment above, and Altroz can pick up a solid chunk of those numbers.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th January 2021 at 20:26.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 20:44   #264
BHPian

As has been pointed out rightly above, I wonder why people were expecting this to be a HOT version of the Altroz. Tata did give us the even more HOT twins but we all know how did they sell. As i have said this before and saying this again. Everyone wants but no one buys! After all typing doesn't cost a thing! Even Tata expects the turbo version to bring in only 10% more sales!!

This should turn out to be a premium hatchback which is good to drive while having some fun along the way. Interesting to note that this comes only in the higher trims. People paying top money will definitely want an above average driving experience. The lower trims are mostly bought by an aspirational buyers for whom FE still matters. The ARAI figure of 18 odd kmpl should be less of a bother for the higher trim clientale. Mind you the very similar Elite I20 has a reputation of being not so fuel efficient among the mango man.

Two features rather misses which i can't fathom on a vehicle of this class. Adjustable headrests only on the top trim! This is a very very stupid trend. I will personally neve get a variant without them. Second, the high NVH reported by road testers. Mind you i haven't driven the car personally.

Last edited by coldice4u : 13th January 2021 at 21:02.
coldice4u is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 23:00   #265
Team-BHP Support

11.9 seconds is decent unlike the earlier rumour of 13 seconds. If the driveability is good, 11.9 should leave nothing to complain about.

And in that blue shade looks stunning IMHO.

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-20210113_225412.jpg

i20 might still have a better edge and I absolutely love driving the Hyundai 1.0 TGDi - but with the suspect safety and long term reliability (personal experience) levels - Altroz does look like a good alternative on paper.

PS: Would have been a perfect product if TATA Motors could give it both the engines and gearboxes from the Nexon.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 23:43   #266
BHPian

To the mods, when will you be getting the car for testing? Just curious to know your inputs on the car on how it performs. Small snippets itself should suffice while waiting for the more complete review like what was done for the Altroz diesel.
Old 14th January 2021, 00:42   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar Preview
AtheK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 00:48   #268
BHPian

Diesel like torque curve from a turbo petrol is a surprise. Usually turbo petrol engines are known for poor low end performance, but looking at this torque curve it's performance should be similar to 1.5litre NA engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-screenshot_202101140031382.png  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Altroz iTurbo iRa Mobile Brochure Final.pdf (3.00 MB, 561 views)
damodar is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 01:48   #269
Senior - BHPian

Tata is surely catching up to the competition and Altroz is a competitive product which can give good fight head on to its competition in terms of looks, build and hopefully performance too. Let’s reserve further comments until our mods drive this car
Old 14th January 2021, 05:50   #270
Senior - BHPian

Now, if MSIL re-introduced the Baleno 1.0 Turbo with a similar torque curve? That would be quite a competition !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks