Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 22:49   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I highly doubt this is the case. I don't think platform design is that rigid that it can't even take a slightly different gearbox......Even at face value this doesnt makes much sense.
Exactly

Sorry, please let me rephrase the 'platform' as 'Altroz'.
Right now only the Altroz is on the Alfa platform, and the upcoming HBX is also rumoured to get just the 5 speeder.
So I had absent mindedly mentioned the Alfa platform, when I should have just said Altroz.
Ofcourse, I can't even imagine the Peregrine sedan getting a 5 speeder in any engine.

I would love to be proven wrong and would like the Altroz to get the exact engine tune and gearbox as the Nexon.
But then....

Quote:
That's all interconnected because the Nexons gearbox could not get packaged in the Altroz due to space constraints, hence they had to use the 5 speed Gearbox from the Tiago & that gearbox is old as that was used in the Indica eV2.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4885430 (Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review)

Quote:
Packaging constraints in the premium hatchback's smaller engine bay meant that Tata Motors had no choice but to use the Tiago’s TA-65 unit – which has a lower power and torque rating – instead of the Nexon’s heavy-duty 6-speed T6300 manual gearbox.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...options-411886

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I think its more product differentiation and perhaps cost not the platform for sure.
Can't understand the need for product differentiation.
In fact, a prospective Altroz buyer may end up with a Nexon. Especially for turbo petrol and diesel versions.
Altroz may lose sales to Nexon, not vice versa.
Nexon will sell nevertheless cause of the high riding craze. It is Altroz which TML should be taking care of.
The Altroz and Nexon will complement each other even with the same powertrains and features, except maybe Altroz needs the 1.2l NA for lower entry prices.
Cost cutting? Maybe yes for the 1.2l NA, why for the turbo petrol and diesel?

Then again, only Tata engineers would know why the Altroz doesn't have a six speed gearbox.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 02:53   #302
Senior - BHPian

12 seconds to the ton is a yawn.

Considering TATA still have a partnership going on with FCA, they could have borrowed the old Fiat 1.4l Turbo petrol and plonked it into the Altroz. Sure, the Fiat camp (myself included) will hate that move but hey, you get a potent hatchback.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 07:29   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
12 seconds to the ton is a yawn.

Considering TATA still have a partnership going on with FCA, they could have borrowed the old Fiat 1.4l Turbo petrol and plonked it into the Altroz. Sure, the Fiat camp (myself included) will hate that move but hey, you get a potent hatchback.
Tata needs to sell this car in India, where we have a sub 4mt, engine below 1200cc law for excise taxation. Read about it.
akshay380 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 07:37   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Read about it.
Yes (and I forgot). Puzzles me no ends on who comes up with such laws.

Heck; I'd say sell the car with a bigger engine, as an option. Let it sit at a higher tax bracket. The few who wants a car that is special will buy it.

This reminds of the days TATA sold the Indica Turbo. No doubt, nice engine and decent acceleration for something that was sold two decades ago. However; when you see a Turbo badge, it should mean something, make you feel that you are driving something special (Give me that Sierra Turbo), which the Indica Turbo was not.
Old 15th January 2021, 07:51   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Heck; I'd say sell the car with a bigger engine, as an option. Let it sit at a higher tax bracket. The few who wants a car that is special will buy it.
The costs would be prohibitively high and the lukewarm response from the market is enough for manufacturers to avoid burning their fingers. How many hot hatches have set the sales charts on fire?
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 08:36   #306
Senior - BHPian

Right now, I feel a bit sorry for the Polo GT TSI . Really, there simply isnt much more that any of its competitors have, practically speaking except for a bit better rear leg room. To put a 3 pot motor in a state of mild turbo charge and make it look like the best thing since sliced bread, isnt a great achievement at all frankly. By that yardstick, the Dicor / Varicor engines did phenomenally well for their time. But there was no social media back then.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 12:14   #307
BHPian

Most folks are disappointed as they were expecting a hot hatch. It is really interesting to see some fellow Bhpians explaining that the expectation was incorrect.

I have a different take on this. Isn't the 6-month long advertisement blitzkrieg and media leakages the cause of this expectation?

Tata should learn the art of setting up expectations well. The botched up and disappointing launches for worthy products doesn't seem to go away. In a country where bling sells, a looker like Altroz deserved to be launched with a 1.2l turbo dct.

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 15th January 2021 at 12:15.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:35   #308
BHPian

People who were expecting 1.4, 1.5 L turbo engines etc, not an unfair expectation. But end of the day, it boils down to the price. With a 1.4 Turbo, they may end up costing 10+ lakh easy.

If priced well enough(say within Rs. 50K of the existing Altroz petrol), we can simply treat this as a safe hatch with healthy power output. It doesnt need to win any drag races or scorch the highways to make sales.

0 to 100 is decent, if it can cruise around 120, it should be quick enough for almost all Indian highways.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 14:26   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
People who were expecting 1.4, 1.5 L turbo engines etc, not an unfair expectation. But end of the day, it boils down to the price. With a 1.4 Turbo, they may end up costing 10+ lakh easy.
1.4L to 1.5L with a turbo....eh? Here we are trying to understand why TATA is still using a gearbox from the Indica ev2 era in their premium hatchback and you honestly think people were expecting something like Skodas 1.5Tsi + DCT from TATA in a premium hatchback?

Let us give some credit to our fellow members. Some of us were just expecting TATA to give us the 1.2L turbo petrol + 6 speed from the Nexon (just like Ford does for the Figo, Hyundai for the i20). Nothing close to what you seem to have inferred.

Edit: I do agree that the performance is probably going to be good enough for most Indian roads/higways.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 15:26   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
1.4L to 1.5L with a turbo....eh? Here we are trying to understand why TATA is still using a gearbox from the Indica ev2 era in their premium hatchback and you honestly think people were expecting something like Skodas 1.5Tsi + DCT from TATA in a premium hatchback?

Let us give some credit to our fellow members. Some of us were just expecting TATA to give us the 1.2L turbo petrol + 6 speed from the Nexon (just like Ford does for the Figo, Hyundai for the i20). Nothing close to what you seem to have inferred.

Edit: I do agree that the performance is probably going to be good enough for most Indian roads/higways.
The above was in reference to a comment expressing expectation of the Fiat 1.4 Tsi in this car.

About Figo, it comes with a 5 speed gearbox for the manual version.

Please note I am referring to Altroz as being adequate for Indian conditions and stressing on the safety factor. I am not treating it as a hot hatch. If they are able to price it well then I am ok with the older gearbox - I am sure engineers at Tata know better than a lot of us about factors of safety and would have accounted for possibilities of different gearboxes before plonking in this one. Again, I am not saying this is the ultimate combination, I am saying it all comes down to the money my friend.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 17:35   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
The above was in reference to a comment expressing expectation of the Fiat 1.4 Tsi in this car.

About Figo, it comes with a 5 speed gearbox for the manual version.
It would have helped if you had used the quote function but I completely agree. Kind of over the top expecting TATA to give us a 1.4L turbo petrol (personal opinion) in a hatchback.

Figo has a 5 speed gearbox just like the Ecosport. My examples were not on the basis of which gearbox those particular manufacturers plonked into their cars but rather how they provided the same engine-gearbox combo for both their compact SUV and premium hatchback.

Just so that there is no further misinterpretations Ford (Ecosport - Figo twins) and Hyundai(Venue - i20) have shown this is possible. However, I agree TATA may be trying to play the value game here. I am just not convinced if that is the best strategy though.
Old 15th January 2021, 17:54   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Just so that there is no further misinterpretations Ford (Ecosport - Figo twins) and Hyundai(Venue - i20) have shown this is possible. However, I agree TATA may be trying to play the value game here. I am just not convinced if that is the best strategy though.
Fair point and I would have been more than delighted if they had given a 6 speed and also managed to get a quicker 0 to 100 in fact. The only reason I think we can give benefit of some doubt to the Tata engineers is by "assuming" they will price it competitively( something like in the range of swift). If they want to price it like i20 then Tata to Tata

Just saying price can make or break anything.
Old 16th January 2021, 02:38   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
It will sell 800-1000 units extra per month but not beyond that.
That’s slightly more than Tata’s expectation
Tata expects the turbo petrol model to bring them 10% more sales which translates to 600-700 per month.

Last edited by Waspune : 16th January 2021 at 02:41.
Waspune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 02:45   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I might be wrong, but I really feel this turbo engine wouldn't increase sales by a huge margin. It will sell 800-1000 units extra per month but not beyond that. The 1.2 NA Altroz itself is showing steady increase in sales numbers. Unless Tata prices it well, I really don't feel it will be as succesful as, lets say, the Polo 1.0 TSI.
It depends on how and what you define as "success". If sales numbers are what define a product as a success - the Altroz is as of now more successful than the Polo even without the turbo engine. Addition of a turbo will only increase the sales. Certainly won't decrease them.
Reinhard is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 13:33   #315
Senior - BHPian

Altroz i-Turbo TVC

Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks