Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2020, 13:13   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo-RS View Post
I think rather than giving only Nexon the exclusive rights to have better tuned engine, it has more to do with the fact that Altroz Petrol comes with a 5 Speed Gearbox rather than a 6 Speed in the Nexon
=====
OPINION : The DCT variant should definitely have the better tuned (120 PS) engine beacuse it will atleast be a 6 speed unit.
Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the same gearbox present in the Tiago JTP which handled 114ps of power and around 150Nm of torque ?
Old 28th September 2020, 13:55   #62
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised

Received on whatsapp. The XZ variant is around 50K more expensive than the Polo Highline Plus TSI. Will be an able competitor to the Polo TSI.

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-img20200928wa0005.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 28th September 2020 at 16:47. Reason: Watermark added
VWAllstar is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 14:29   #63
RSR
Senior - BHPian

80.6 kW translates into 110 PS or 108 bhp, just as expected. So it's positioned directly against the 110 PS Polo TSi.

The 140 Nm of peak torque is clearly the safe limit of the old TA-65 5-speed gearbox. The Polo TSi with its 6-speed gearbox, in comparison, makes 175 Nm of peak torque.

Last edited by RSR : 28th September 2020 at 14:32.
RSR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 19:07   #64
BHPian

Understand that there is a limitation of gearbox, but they should have gone with Nexon engine tune and gearbox combination. Its main rival i20 will be coming up with 30-35 nm torque advantage.

There were talks of Tata working on 1.0 lt turbo petrol as well. I was half expecting it to debut in Altroz Turbo.
shashant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 19:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

I am a little skeptical on the prices posted above, as the price difference of the turbo variant w.r.t the corresponding diesel variant would just be Rs.25k, after the recent price cut on the diesel variants.

On the other hand, it is highly likely that the turbo petrol variants would be Rs.75k dearer than the respective NA variant and Rs.75k shy of the diesel variant. This would put the top spec. XZ(O) turbo petrol under Rs.10L OTR.
Old 28th September 2020, 20:14   #66
BHPian

What caught my attention the most is the wide spread of the 140Nm torque from 1500-5500 rpm. I wish Tata launches the dct variants right from the launch itself.

Definitely exciting times ahead in the hatchback space, with the new i20 also nearing its launch by the end of this year.
klgiridhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 20:34   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
Understand that there is a limitation of gearbox, but they should have gone with Nexon engine tune and gearbox combination.
According to the owner's manual the front track of Altroz is 20mm shorter than the Nexon's. I agree the 1.5L diesel engine occupies more space but a 1.2L 3-cyl would surely free up more than 20mm as compared to the diesel.

I believe Tata had a really valid reason for not using the TA6300 IF that happens to be the case. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-screenshot_202009281957062.png  

mega_wattt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 09:52   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Received on whatsapp. The XZ variant is around 50K more expensive than the Polo Highline Plus TSI. Will be an able competitor to the Polo TSI.
For the 50K premium, I'd pick the Altroz over the current Polo. No matter how good the 1.0 TSI maybe. As an overall package, I find the Altroz better kitted out & contemporary.

Interesting to note in the pictures - TA65 transmission with an asterisk. I sincerely hope the footnote would be "In MT variant" & there are more rows of transmission lower in the page that give an AT option also. Otherwise - we are looking at an Altroz with a JTP spec engine & gearbox combination & no AT. Somehow Tata has to manage to launch the Altroz with an AT (AT/DCT whatever they decide) - around the launch of the new i20. They managed to launch some good variants of the Nexon around the launch of the Sonet. Altroz needs it too to maintain the momentum it seems to have gained.
Reinhard is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:34   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Somehow Tata has to manage to launch the Altroz with an AT (AT/DCT whatever they decide) - around the launch of the new i20.
Yes. Tata should not let this prime time go. Already, there are requests regularly in Twitter regarding the available of automatic. Tata is an official partner of the ongoing IPL and Altroz is all out there - the actual car parked in the stadium, advertisement boards, TV ads, commentary mentions etc. Festive season vibes have started and they should try to bring the automatic and convert all these generated interest into bookings.
P.S: I seriously wish Tata comes out of their mindset that only a limited 16% percent people want automatic. Reference below:
Old December 2019 video. Jump to 03:40s
skarthiksr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:37   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
P.S: I seriously wish Tata comes out of their mindset that only a limited 16% percent people want automatic.
Don't read too much into such statements. Barring the Altroz - all the other Tata cars have an automatic option (at least AMT). Such statements with % numbers etc are just PR tactics to buy time while R&D continues. Just like Maruti preaching the goodness of petrol cars while they are working on making their own diesel engine BSVI compliant. (Of course - if car makers plan well & have a good steady R&D pipeline, such stop-gap statements won't be required at all.)

Since the Altroz has same engine and tranny as Tiago - it would have been easy to offer the same combination with AMT here too. They didn't. That certainly means a plan for a TCAT or DCT is on track. The key would be to launch it together with the hyped high-powered engine spec to get the maximum impact.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th September 2020 at 10:48.
Reinhard is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 11:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
That certainly means a plan for a TCAT or DCT is on track. The key would be to launch it together with the hyped high-powered engine spec to get the maximum impact.
Do you still expect the Altroz turbo to have the DCT at launch ? Honestly speaking I have not seen any hints of the same and maybe it’s only the Turbo model which is launched finally as a special version. However I would love to be proved wrong and an Auto box for this vehicle will definitely increase the appeal and take up the sales numbers quite a notch.
Old 29th September 2020, 12:19   #72
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
What caught my attention the most is the wide spread of the 140Nm torque from 1500-5500 rpm. I wish Tata launches the dct variants right from the launch itself.

Definitely exciting times ahead in the hatchback space, with the new i20 also nearing its launch by the end of this year.
The latest Polo that has been launched internationally will hopefully be launched in India too. With updated interiors and instument cluster, it should be a winner.

One of the reviews (courtesy Topgear)- https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...n/polo/driving
Old 29th September 2020, 13:03   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
The latest Polo that has been launched internationally will hopefully be launched in India too. With updated interiors and instument cluster, it should be a winner.

One of the reviews (courtesy Topgear)- https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...n/polo/driving
India has a rule where cars longer than 4mts attract higher taxes. The latest gen Polo is >4m in length and that's what has kept VW from bringing it to India. That's been sale for over 2 years, I doubt if it'll even come to India.

Kia has also opened the market to many automatkers who will now think that providing only premium/high value products can be a sustainable strategy and they don't need a hatchback or any small car.

As for the possibility of an autobox in Altroz. I sincerely hope they launch it soon. If they do it within the next month, Altroz, which is currently not in consideration, will shoot straight to the top.
RoadMonkey is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 13:30   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
80.6 kW translates into 110 PS or 108 bhp, just as expected. So it's positioned directly against the 110 PS Polo TSi.

The 140 Nm of peak torque is clearly the safe limit of the old TA-65 5-speed gearbox. The Polo TSi with its 6-speed gearbox, in comparison, makes 175 Nm of peak torque.
Polo TSI is a far superior technology. Altroz will be a no match. The power figures too are puny.
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 13:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

One thing Tata Motors have to keep in mind, and I sincerely hope that they have, is the fuel calibration("tip-in & tip-out"), the overall refinement and the tuning of the engine mounts.

Keep in mind, this model will be targetted at the top of its segment, tipping the scales close to Rupees 10 lacs on road. Potential owners will inevitably compare the Altroz's powertrain with the VW POLO 1-Litre Turbo and the Hyundai Grand-i10 NiOS 1-Litre Turbo. Both extremely accomplished machines.

Being the owner and regularly driving a petrol Tiago and turbo-petrol NEXON, (both BS-IV), I can say that Tata still needs to close the last 10% gap in gasoline engine tuning and calibration compared to its rivals.
For regular driving and the occasional highway commute, power and torque from TML's engines are not an issue, it is the way the powertrian lays down the power that punches a few holes in the drivetrain smoothness stakes - or rather the lack of it !

The Tiago is the worse of the two with an extremely snatchy calibration resulting in abrupt "tip-out" the moment you get off the accelerator pedal. You really have to caress the "A-pedal" to make smooth progress without upsetting our co-travellers, more so if you are driving in the hills!

The Nexon's turbo petrol masks a lot of the Tiago's snatchiness but its still there, albeit liveable. The problem with the Nexon turbo petrol is of the "flywheel - effect" (that is when you want to execute a fast downshift or an upshift), the revs takes ages to drop when you "lift-off" for a fast rev-matching downshift, before you slot in the next ratio. Anyone who has done some spirited shifting in a Swift 1.2K - series or even the Honda's will know the joy of experiencing a perfectly synced shift !

Then the "feel" of the Tata 1.2's is rather gravelly. Yes, it's got a nice, rorty induction noise at the top of its rev band but the overall process of revving it to the redline sounds and feels so strained, that most people with some semblance of mechanical sympathy would do it once and prefer not to repeat it again. Again, in comparison, the VW Polo 1-L Turbo, the NioS 1.0Turbo and even the now discontinued EcoBoost from Ford were a joy to punt around in the last 1000rpm of its rev band.

I hope Tata has taken care of all these in the ALTROZ. And it should, because the rest of the fundamentals of the ALTROZ are so well sorted out, it can easily match up to, if not beat its competitors in ride, handling, styling and practicality.

Last edited by arjab : 29th September 2020 at 13:33.
arjab is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks