Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2020, 17:24   #31
BANNED

Re: Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
...the over enthusiastic willingness to accept the inferior Torque Convertor just because it's supposedly more reliable. People are just encouraging manufacturers to dump obsolete technology in India rather than fix the problems and make DCT's more reliable.
Why is torque converter inferior? From BMW to Mercedes to Volvo to even Koenigsegg are using torque converter gearboxes in their latest and greatest. I would term DCT being inferior to TC's because apart from fast upshifts, they are jerky and confused when driving in the city, less reliable, there are cars older than when the DCT's were introduced still running fine and dont downshift as fast. I would take a good TC over DCT any which day even if it takes a few milliseconds extra for the upshift.
akhilesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 18:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Why is there such a negative attitude towards DCT's in India and the over enthusiastic willingness to accept the inferior Torque Convertor just because it's supposedly more reliable. People are just encouraging manufacturers to dump obsolete technology in India rather than fix the problems and make DCT's more reliable.
I think this point has been addressed quite effectively and logically by the replies. Nonetheless, I wish to clarify my stand here. Your assertion that TC is inferior to DCT is completely incorrect. The big Germans are a testimony to this fact. Secondly the dry DSG or DCT has been around for 8 years in the Indian market and still the manufacturers continue to use the same tech inspite of repeated problems/failures of the same. If manufacturers were indeed serious, they could have worked on it during this period. Secondly, Altroz by all means would be a daily driver. As far as daily drivers go, I would definitely want to have a car which spends more time with me than in the workshop. And it is in this respect that I prefer to have a TC over a DCT.

And as pointed out by Shreyans in his post, if the DCT is indeed a wet clutch one, its definitely a big plus but I for one would not want to be a guinea pig for a freshly baked product with a freshly baked transmission.
JayKavadi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:51   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Details of the Altroz Turbo Petrol Variant:

-Tata has registered the upcoming Altroz Turbo petrol with the RTO.

-Tata Altroz Turbo Petrol Will Offer 110PS Of Power

-Tata is expected to offer the turbo-petrol engine on the higher variants only at a considerable premium than the N A variants.

-Will likely get the option of a dual-clutch automatic transmission too in the near future.

- Likely to be launched around Diwali 2020.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Now things looks interesting! As per initial reports, Altroz was suppose to get 100PS petrol. 110PS is a masterstroke from Tata. It put Altroz on same league as Polo 1.0TSI because of similar power figure and kerb weight. It also makes lots of sense why BS6 Nexon got power hike to 120PS.
K_Drive is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Link
I feel if there's a time to launch the Altroz Turbo + DCT, it would be now. They launch it now, start deliveries from November and I'm pretty sure TAMO will be selling around 7k units a month. The new gen i20 is still around the corner and Hyundai is launching it with all the ammunition and bells and whistles, hence, this would affect the sales of Altroz. And it would be quite a dip in the numbers.

Last edited by chiefpk : 22nd September 2020 at 19:22. Reason: Typo
chiefpk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:

This is cool and should be a welcome upgrade. The earlier 100hp was not bad either, nut that low 140Nm torque output was quite low! Since the power output is at BS4 Nexon's 110hp rating, I expect the torque should be near about 170Nm as well, which will be exciting and might pull even more customers to the showrooms!

Quote:
-Tata is expected to offer the turbo-petrol engine on the higher variants only at a considerable premium than the N A variants.
This was expected! I never believed that any carmaker will provide a turbocharged petrol engine as standard on a hatchback because the main advantage of hatchbacks over C-SUVs and sedans is usually the price, and a turbo would result in a substantial price increase, thus lending a disadvantage to the car!

What I believe is, along with the turbo petrol, Tata motors should even start working on the 'Pro edition' of the Altroz just like their BS4 product range(Sunroof, mood lighting and some other gizmos as well). All this along with normal automatics(Not that DCT crap, a normal AMT or TC should work!) before the i20 arrives, and the Altroz will surely take a lot of customers away from it's rivals and probably even from the 1.2L Hyundai-Kia 'raised hatchback duo'
theAutomaniac is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- Likely to be launched around Diwali 2020
Great news.
And as a bonus 10bhp more than expected. Would be a riot in the smaller Tiago, if it is coming.

Expected at a premium to the NA variants, but should be considerably cheaper than the diesel version, considering it is not a GDI motor.
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you volkman10 for sharing this info

This is stonking from our own TATA and so proud of this desi automobile manufacturer. Their recent products seem to get better with every iteration.

I was just floored when I saw the Altroz for the first time in person and it could have been one of the best looking hatchbacks in the country.

"Could have been" coz I think the authority who approved that antenna above the windshield must be fired!! It looks like a 30 decade old design on such a beautiful car

TATA Please just move that antenna back like the one on the EV rendering and give this hatchback the gorgeous silhouette it truly deserves:

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-altroz.jpg

Last edited by Vik0728 : 22nd September 2020 at 20:52.
Vik0728 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
...The earlier 100hp was not bad either, nut that low 140Nm torque output was quite low! Since the power output is at BS4 Nexon's 110hp rating, I expect the torque should be near about 170Nm as well..
Not exactly. For example, in the JTP twins even though TATA managed to eke out 112Bhp it had a lower 150Nm of torque as against the Nexons 170Nm. The reason for this was given in Team-Bhp official review:

Quote:
The engine makes an additional 4 BHP (112 BHP @ 5,000 rpm) vs the Nexon's 108 BHP, although the torque rating is lower at 150 Nm vs the Nexon's 170 Nm. Reason? The Tiago JTP uses the same 5-speed gearbox as the regular Tiago and not the Nexon's 6-speeder. Further, we were told that the torque has been restricted as the Tiago's lighter body was bringing excessive torque steer.
Since the Altroz Turbo petrol seems to come with a manual and an automatic, they would again have to restrict the Torque at least in the manual (which would go against the purpose of providing an explosive Turbo-Petrol for enthusiasts) or go full-monty and provide the 6 speed TA6300 from the Nexon to get that 170Nm figure. Besides, I am not sure if the DCT can handle the 170Nm torque either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
This was expected! I never believed that any carmaker will provide a turbocharged petrol engine as standard on a hatchback because the main advantage of hatchbacks over C-SUVs and sedans is usually the price, and a turbo would result in a substantial price increase, thus lending a disadvantage to the car!
Well for the new i20, the 1.0 T-GDi will be the standard engine. Very few are actually going to pickup the 1.2L Kappa series motor since it seems to be lack luster in both mileage and performance.

Also, premium hatchbacks are not priced at production input cost (Nothing really is in this world). Manufacturers price a car at the maximum possible amount that they believe customers will fork out.

Which is why that TATA Nexon with its old platform, old gearbox, relatively low tech engine (compared to the 1.0 TGDi) is retailing at 16L OTR in some cities. Tata now has the clout to actually price the car as such.

That is, TATA is looking at the competition and how much people are willing to cough up in this segment before deciding the price.

After all, TATA didn't suddenly discover a new way to make the RevoTorq engine cheaper and then reduce the price of the Diesel Altroz recently. My guess, they just figured that it would sell more at a lower price point or they wanted to get a decent foothold before the new i20 hit the market.
JithinR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 20:54   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Tata has registered the upcoming Altroz Turbo petrol with the RTO.

Link
Finally, another nugget of good news in this wretched 2020 year! I haven't got to sit in an Altroz yet, but I liked the car when I saw its pictures. Being biased to petrol engines, I'm quite sure this is going to be one delicious treat to drive, other than the diesel, of course! Albeit it remains to be witnessed how much of a price delta will there be between the naturally aspirated and turbo-petrol variants.
Old 23rd September 2020, 21:12   #41
BANNED

Expected variants and pricing of the upcoming Altroz Turbo petrol as claimed by Zigwheels:

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-altroz-turbo-petrol-variants.png

Quote:
We all know that Tata Motors is cooking up a spicier version of the Altroz powered by a turbo-petrol engine. We had also reported about its engine specifications ahead of its possible launch around Diwali 2020. Now, we have managed to get our hands on Tata Altroz Turbo’s variant list.

As speculated, Tata will offer the Altroz Turbo in the higher-spec variants only. There will be four variants on offer: XT, XT (O), XZ and XZ (O). Interestingly, Tata doesn’t offer the XT (O) in the standard petrol and diesel Altroz. It’s likely to make its debut in the sportier Altroz Turbo. It won’t be offered in the lower-spec XE and XM variants.
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 21:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Expected variants and pricing of the upcoming Altroz Turbo petrol as claimed by Zigwheels:

Pricing dont really make much sense for the Turbo if it is just 20k less than the diesel variant. Turbo variant maybe better than the NA but diesel will certainly have the edge in terms of torque, fuel economy and smoothness (being a 4 cyl)

Surprisingly the price difference between turbo petrol and diesel in case of Nexon is 1 lakh or more.
Turbokick is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:04   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Expected variants and pricing of the upcoming Altroz Turbo petrol as claimed by
The same people who feel diesel is dead in hatchback segments will now complain about the rumoured pricing being close to diesel variants.

This is something people are just not used to! They feel diesels are way more expensive than petrols, but the fact is we were comparing 1.2 NAs against turbo-diesels. Bring in a turbo-petrol, the equation changes, especially the direct injection ones. Hyundai TGDi 1.0 motors are expensive than their 1.5 diesels. We saw this with the Venue and Sonet and will most likely be the case with the i20. Thankfully, TATA's simpler motor won't be as expensive.

Guess now many complaints will arise that a Nexon spec diesel could have revived sales for the Altroz, instead of an expensive turbo-petrol.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd September 2020 at 22:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:

-Will likely get the option of a dual-clutch automatic transmission too in the near future.

Link
While its exciting to hear about the turbo petrol version of Altroz, I highly doubt the authenticity of the news. What is it that has been “registered” with the RTO? What exactly is that procedure? Never heard anything like that before a launch.
Old 24th September 2020, 00:19   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The same people who feel diesel is dead in hatchback segments will now complain about the rumoured pricing being close to diesel variants.

Thankfully, TATA's simpler motor won't be as expensive.
Can't blame, given how lame the NA petrol is in the Altroz. Most waiting for the turbo petrol do so for some decent performance, not an explosive sporty model.

Also given the almost 2 lakhs onroad difference between the NA petrol and diesel, TML really do have leeway in pricing the turbo petrol competitively. Especially like you have mentioned, it is not a high tech GDI motor.
More so since in the Nexon also, there is almost 1.7 lakhs difference between turbo petrol and diesel variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guess now many complaints will arise that a Nexon spec diesel could have revived sales for the Altroz, instead of an expensive turbo-petrol.
Couldn't help.

I have a different take. Should have made the turbo petrol the standard engine, and in diesel, gave the 90bhp tune in lower variants and Nexon tune in the higher 'sporty' variants.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks