Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2020, 17:22   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
When will it get launched? Will they do it after the market trend does shift to something else?
Exactly my question. I was about to post at least 3/4 times in this thread and held back since I did not want to start a TATA bashing. But we need to accept reality.

Altroz was launched with an anemic petrol in Jan 2020.Although diesel was also announced, it came only few months down the line. The turbo petrol has been in testing for an eternity now and should get launched after Gravitas in Q1 2021. I really hoped that Turbo and Automatic will get launched together but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Post Gravitas, there is Hexa and Hornbill to be launched. Adding to the fact that they just decided component supplier, DCT launch should happen by festival season 21 or early 22.

I cannot wrap my head around the fact that TATA might take close to 2 years to launch an automatic version of Altroz. Climate change and sea level changes faster than this!
RaghuVis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:30   #137
BHPian

This just might give it the boost it needs. Both the tiago and then the altroz lost out a bit because of their low-grunt petrol engines.
But by when does Tata intend to bring them to the market?
Old 9th December 2020, 21:36   #138
BHPian

By the way, it looks like the entire information is completely wrong.
The company which provides the transmission (Punch Powertrain n.v) shows that the gear box is having wet clutches. The message is clear from the company's media section.

So it looks like unconfirmed news has been taken up by one media and got spread to other without much verification.
Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-capture.png
powershift is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 14:32   #139
BHPian

My organization works with both Tata and Punch. The transmission is indeed going to be sourced from Punch Powertrain. The DT1 is a wet clutch based transmission. Punch will also launch the DT2 in 2023 as part of their JV with PSA (not slated to come to India yet). Punch is setting up a plant in Khed, near Pune as this was a requirement from Tata Motors.
anandseth01 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 03:55   #140
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
1. Take an existing TC transmission offering from a reliable supplier, work on its shortcomings like poor FE, performance issues and get it to perfection.

2. Build a new DCT transmission which offers good FE comparable to a manual counterpart. Gives you all the limelight and bragging power in media, brochures, at least FE wont take a hit, you have a futuristic product at your hand.

So Tata chose to go the second way.

it is not impossible to use a TC AT and yet get decent FE along with other advantages, especially when the Indian traffic condition is brought into context.
Tata took option 1 for Harrier auto, which gets TC 6-speed auto-gearbox from Hyundai-Tucson pre-facelift model(Not sure if Creta/Seltos/Sonet use the same TC in their diesel variants). From what I have heard, they have tuned the Hyundai’s TC with FCA 2 Ltr MJD in Harrier better than FCA itself has done in Jeep Compass with its auto box. I believe the Harrier segment is also not that sensitive about FE, so it worked.

Why is Tata not thinking/working on an auto-box on diesel variants of Nexon/Altroz? Not large enough volumes to make it worthwhile ?

I believe it will work well for Tata if they use similar TC from Hyundai(if available) as Harrier in Nexon/Altroz diesel and tune it well. Though the price for top-end diesel-auto version will go very high. Sonet too has very high price for top-end diesel-auto. Besides, the customers in Altroz/Nexon segment may be too sensitive to FE. Hyundai Diesel engines are one of the best & most FE too, so Hyundai-Kia may pull it off. But can Tata similarly pull it off with their decent 1.5 Ltr Diesel engines is anyone’s guess.

As for turbo petrol variants, I guess DCT is the only good option because they can get good FE too.
Old 11th December 2020, 08:22   #141

Quote:
According to the report, Tata was planning to source the seven-speed dry-clutch DCT from the Belgian manufacturer Punch. However, that plan has changed to favour the relatively affordable wet-clutch transmission from the German component manufacturer Schaeffler.
https://www.cartoq.com/tata-altroz-turbo-petrol-dct/

It seems the initial plan was to go with a dry-clutch DCT, but they later changed their mind.
Old 11th December 2020, 08:23   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandseth01 View Post
My organization works with both Tata and Punch. The transmission is indeed going to be sourced from Punch Powertrain.
Brilliant! I have high hopes if the transmission tuning of the Hexa XTA is anything to go by. It was really fun with a capital F. Move that shifter to the left and it just transformed the brilliant Hexa to another level. Not that it was boring in normal mode, far from it actually. One of the few cars that I really felt like bringing home after the first drive. No pressure then, Tata!

Thank you for sharing this news with us!
deetjohn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 12:52   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Brilliant! I have high hopes if the transmission tuning of the Hexa XTA is anything to go by. It was really fun with a capital F. Move that shifter to the left and it just transformed the brilliant Hexa to another level. Not that it was boring in normal mode, far from it actually. One of the few cars that I really felt like bringing home after the first drive. No pressure then, Tata!

Thank you for sharing this news with us!
That autobox was from "Punch Powerglide". The DCT is from "Punch Powertrain".

They both are different!
aditya79india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 08:39   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
That autobox was from "Punch Powerglide". The DCT is from "Punch Powertrain".

They both are different!
Oh! I had no idea both companies are different. I do hope they share the art of transmission tuning, like they share their names.

And I do have high hopes since Tata delivered magic the first time around with a diesel engine and a torque converter.

A turbo petrol + dual clutch gives them a lot of parameters to play with. This could well be many cars rolled into a single one if you know what I mean.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 19:28   #145
BHPian

Tata Altroz new ad: May be special edition on Christmas, but not automatic Altroz for sure.

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-altroz-santa.png

Beelzebub is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 17:50   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
Tata Altroz new ad: May be special edition on Christmas, but not automatic Altroz for sure.

Attachment 2092186

Video
Maybe its a Santa edition(Like Camo/Dark editions) with Red Paintjob and White Accents instead of Black/Chrome
ZenMaster is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:39   #147
BHPian

Could it be EV Variant ?
Old 13th December 2020, 19:18   #148
Senior - BHPian

Santa Altroz reveal time on 15th December 12 Noon

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-20201213_191527.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 19:22   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Maybe its a Santa edition(Like Camo/Dark editions) with Red Paintjob and White Accents instead of Black/Chrome
I think it's going to be a cosmetic update for a few thousands more for the color combination, similar to what Honda charges for the white color
I'm waiting for the turbo version but don't want to be beta tester of the wet or dry DCT clutch by picking an automatic varient. TML showroom SA is in touch with me on a weekly basis but no official word yet on the turbo launch to the dealers.
Pricing of the turbo or automatic trim on top of XT base trim will be a challenge. If they make it too high, it'll be on par with tried and tested Nexon XM/XMA trims (with some feature compromises).
nadigar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 21:21   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
Hope it is not another lame limited edition in Santa colours. Or something weird with a sunroof on the door.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed