Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2021, 01:24   #241
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Figo is 4 hole and EcoSport is 5 hole so won't fit.
Of topic- Ecosport also has 4 lug nuts & many people have put Ecosport's alloys on Figo, so it seems like a direct fit.

Photo of a Figo (lowered as well) running on Ecosport's 17 inch rims:

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 13th January 2021 at 01:27.
chiranjitp is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:56   #242
BHPian

Apparently the launch is underway looking at tweets of Autocar India. Looks like TATA has sent invites only to media houses for the launch and not given a live stream for common people like us!
The pain they take to irritate us!

Update: There is a new date. Launch will take place on January 22 as per Autocar. Bookings and test drive commences tomorrow.

Last edited by RaghuVis : 13th January 2021 at 13:01. Reason: New Info
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 13:01   #243
Senior - BHPian

A total of 6 variants on offer. Altroz i-Turbo will be offered in three trim levels - XT, XZ and the new, fully-loaded XZ+ variant.

- 1.2-litre turbo-petrol engine
- 108bhp and140Nm torque ( 28% more power and 24% more torque than the naturally-aspirated 1.2-litre petrol engine)
- Tata claims a 0-100kmph time of 'under 12 seconds'

Other changes to the Altroz i-Turbo include connected car technology with a virtual assistant (named 'Ira'), leatherette seats, an 'Xpress cool' feature for the AC to cool down the cabin faster and this new 'Harbour Blue' paint finish.

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-altroz.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 14th January 2021 at 07:39. Reason: Image replaced
RM Motorsports is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 13:08   #244
Senior - BHPian

Altroz i-Turbo can go from 0-100 kmph in 11.9 seconds. The launch will take place on January 22. Bookings and test drives commence tomorrow.

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-smartselect_20210113133434_twitter.jpg

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-smartselect_20210113133400_twitter.jpg

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-smartselect_20210113133408_twitter.jpg

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-smartselect_20210113133454_twitter.jpg

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-smartselect_20210113133504_twitter.jpg

Vivek Srivatsa, Head - Marketing at Tata Motors Cars says 'i' in the Altroz i-Turbo stands for 'intelligent', as it is the same unit as found in the Nexon but has been optimised to better suit the Altroz

Source : Autocar India

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th January 2021 at 13:36. Reason: typo
Venkatesh is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 13:59   #245
BHPian

Key Points:

1. Booking starts from tomorrow (14/01/2021) for Rs. 11000.
2. 1.2L Turbo charged petrol engine producing 110PS and 140Nm of torque.
3. Claimed 0-100 kmph timing of 11.9s.
4. 5-speed manual transmission.
5. Power to weight ratio of 100HP/Ton.
6. Price and delivery to commence on 22/01/2021.
7. Claimed fuel economy of 18.3kmpl.

Source: MotorBeam
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 14:30   #246
Senior - BHPian

All this 'naatak' for an additional engine option?

It's a current engine that's already being used in the Nexon. Never understood TML's fascination with drip feeding variants into the market, get them all in place from day 1.

At this rate Tata would have camouflaged cars running all over the country, only to reveal later that the company was testing new paint schemes.
'After 6 months of rigorous testing we have added new colours.'

Tata better back this with some stellar pricing for the Altroz Turbo, or all this noise would have amounted to very little.
shortbread is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 14:53   #247
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Seems like lot of new Bling stuff added and not just a new engine.

1. Connected-Car tech
2. Perforated leather seats
3. Express-cooling function
4. updated Beige-black interior
5. New XZ+ variant.
6. Drive modes.

The Car and bike show confirms the 0-100 Kmph timing of 11.9 seconds for the Altroz I-Turbo.

https://twitter.com/carandbike/statu...932676608?s=24

I guess the leaks showing 13 seconds time for 0-100 Kmph were fake.
Napalm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 15:06   #248
Senior - BHPian

Altroz i-Turbo presentation video

Venkatesh is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 15:06   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
All this 'naatak' for an additional engine option?

It's a current engine that's already being used in the Nexon. Never understood TML's fascination with drip feeding variants into the market, get them all in place from day 1.

At this rate Tata would have camouflaged cars running all over the country, only to reveal later that the company was testing new paint schemes.
'After 6 months of rigorous testing we have added new colours.'

Tata better back this with some stellar pricing for the Altroz Turbo, or all this noise would have amounted to very little.
Sorry, but failed to understand the rant here? What are they doing wrong? If its a rant on strategy then with all the issues Tata face and their weaknesses they are still clocking 6k a month. Agree that's no Maruti and Hyundai territory but that's still amazing with weak engines. A turbo now, and an auto later will keep the clock ticking. If this is because you are not satisfied as a user then it would make sense. To be honest, there is no perfect car that can satisfy us Team Bhpians (We want a sub 10lakh turbo petrol SUV with a reliable DCT with a panoramic sun roof, cruise control, 6 airbags with quality promise of Toyota and build quality of a German ). As a group we weren't happy with Nissan's latest too.

Personally Altroz is 1 car that i keep turning around to have another look. What a beauty it is. The opposite happens when i see a Creta (no offense to anyone please, i owned the ugly duckling Ritz myself)

Last edited by kanishka88 : 13th January 2021 at 15:07.
kanishka88 is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 15:40   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishka88 View Post
Sorry, but failed to understand the rant here? What are they doing wrong? If its a rant on strategy then with all the issues Tata face and their weaknesses they are still clocking 6k a month.
I think it's indicative of a now common strategy that a lot of automotive manufacturers have adopted. Well placed leaks over many months, a bunch of teasers then showcase the product to media for another round of hype generation and then finally launch the product.

All this would be fine for a new product like Tata Harrier or even for a completely revamped one like the THAR but it starts becoming annoying when it's for a single engine option (that seem to be derived from one of the existing engines) and a bunch of cosmetic updates.

To be honest, I was expecting TATA to introduce the automatic and perhaps even electronic safety aids from the base variant like they did with the Nexon (now that i20 is here). But I guess they have a ways to go for that. I am fine with that (better they test the product properly before repeating the debacle of Harrier v1.0).

But I still don't like this new drip feed strategy. Just a personal opinion.
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 15:48   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-screenshot-20210113-3.42.27-pm.png

Couldn't help but notice the bulge at the bottom of the mirror. Is that for a 360 degree camera?
Old 13th January 2021, 16:02   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuhairZain View Post
Attachment 2107918

Couldn't help but notice the bulge at the bottom of the mirror. Is that for a 360 degree camera?
It is present in the regular Altroz too. Should be for 360 degree camera in the future.

At present, neither the regular Altroz or the turbo variants get one.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 16:58   #253
BHPian

A better quality, slightly longer video of the Altroz iTurbo launch:
SuhairZain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 17:07   #254
Senior - BHPian

They should have given the engine in the same state of tune as the Nexon and must have given it an automatic gearbox: I think Tata will never learn and repeat the same mistake time and again. And a 5 speed gear box with a premium product is a 'no-no'. They are always in a hurry to launch a half baked product and then bring it up to form some 6 months to a year down the line. They are in a tearing hurry to counter the New Hyundai i20/Polo, what they don't understand is the customer profile for i20/Polo and Altroz are entirely different.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 17:21   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Lava blue shade looks excellent. I also feel that the leatherette seats and the dual tone interiors add a much needed pizzazz to the cabin. And many thanks to Tata for retaining a manual option.

The powertrain in terms of the 0-100 timing is nothing great to write home about, however I think the proof of the pudding will be in the way that power is delivered. While the BHP figures are fine the torque seems to be a bit less for a performance oriented hatch. Though to be fair Tata Motors is careful not to push it as a powerful option to the Altroz. The Baleno RS has the same torque figures of around 140Nm and it's warm at best. The Altroz is definitely a heavier car and will have to pay a price for that.

However it is a nice variant that addresses one of the weaknesses of the Altroz range. The regular petrol is a weak powertrain but this addresses that quite nicely.

Looking forward to the reviews.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 13th January 2021 at 17:23.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed