Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 20:14   #31
GBX
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 1.3L Turbo Petrol launched at Rs. 10.49 lakh

The Rapid enjoys success because everyone else in the sedan category has completely dozed off. Unfortunately, the KickDuster twins need to contend with the segment busting Thar on the way. And the panoramic Creta is no slouch either.

After Aug 15th, I've changed my mind. Renault should offer AWD as a differentiator. Even just an on-paper variant, to bring customers in with the tagline of "India's cheapest AWD SUV!".
GBX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 20:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

This is what happens when you're too eager to see results. Over the last few years, Renault slashed prices in a bid to gain volumes like there was no tomorrow.

Everyone knew the product was past its prime and that reflected very well in sales numbers. However, these price cuts tarnished the brand image. What started off as a Creta alternative was now looked upon as a Brezza alternative!

Now when Renault finally woke up and did what they should've done half a decade back, it is understandable for people to class the updated Duster with cars of the sub 4m segment.

With the stonker of an engine, the price is alright if you look from a >4m compact SUV perspective. But the damage is already done. Renault should've offered AWD across the 1.3 turbo range at these prices. Even if I get lured and buy it today, what if Renault gets restless again by 2021 and cuts price by 2 lakhs?

Even Skoda Rapid's case reminds me of Hindi proverb "Chaar din ki chandni fir andheri raat" Manufacturers kill brand image with price cuts to cover their inabilities only to realise it later when it's time for brand revival.

Last edited by self_driven : 17th August 2020 at 20:30.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 23:24   #33
BHPian

In Bangalore, Price for Duster top end CVT is 17L. Creta CVT lower model is 18.7L. While Creta DCT lower model costs 20.2L. Even for manual turbo petrol mid model, Duster is 14.3L, which is not less.

Duster is dangerously close to Kia Seltos pricing.

I would any day go for Creta (CVT or DCT) which is modern, should be more fun to drive than CVT duster, has a lot more features, has way better interiors, Panoramic sunroof, better build quality, nicer image in society, etc. Overall, that feel while sitting inside both these cars is poles apart. And 'feel' matters a lot!

I think 3L extra is definitely worth it over the Duster. Although I love the duster's look and stance, interior design and quality is where it needs a lot of improvement. Just does not give that premium feeling after paying a premium price. Even Brezza interiors feel better than this. I hope Renault revamps the interiors completely.
Mynameis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 00:29   #34
BHPian

Duster's only USP was ride quality and sorted mechanicals especially on the all-wheel-drive's independent suspension. Without AWD option and ever improving competition, this launch seems dead on arrival. If you can't bring the latest model, the only other option for Renault to WOW the market was with super-aggressive pricing. 2L premium simply doesn't add up.

Old car with even even older interiors, surprisingly cramped rear seat and no AWD as a differentiator, we will be seeing the year-end-discounts sooner than later.
kkstile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 06:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Its about horses for courses. You wont wow your friends in a Duster as you would inside a Creta or Seltos which essentially have dashboards equivalent of a gaming laptop.
But take the Duster into a rocky off road trail and you will go much further than the Creta or Seltos and then when you reach the place,you step out to look back at the path and the scenery all around, you will say “Wow! “
Its a different matter that further up ahead, there will be someone standing near a Trailhawk, and chugging past that car, there will be someone else who will step out of the 2020 Thar.
fhdowntheline is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 06:58   #36
KPR
BANNED

This festive season or year end discounts on such cars will be so much luring to those who want a change. One of my friend however hard I said him to TD a Rapid went ahead and booked a venue iMT 1.0 turbo (saying it has sun roof) at not less than 13L on road in TN. Rapid, Polo, Vento and now this car. I'm seeing a reduction of atleast 1-1.5L OTR based on negotiation capability. Get ready folks.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 08:03   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Creta or Seltos which essentially have dashboards equivalent of a gaming laptop.
Well said!

Quote:
But take the Duster into a rocky off road trail and you will go much further than the Creta or Seltos and then when you reach the place,you step out to look back at the path and the scenery all around, you will say “Wow! “
The comment is quite irrelevant because there is no AWD. Regardless, these cars will spend 99.99% of their time on tarred roads and thus, it's easy to see why a majority will prefer the newer Seltos & Creta over this vintage car. We should really refrain from talking about "rocky offroad trails" when the subject is a 2WD.

Quote:
Its a different matter that further up ahead, there will be someone standing near a Trailhawk, and chugging past that car, there will be someone else who will step out of the 2020 Thar.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 08:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The comment is quite irrelevant because there is no AWD. Regardless, these cars will spend 99.99% of their time on tarred roads and thus, it's easy to see why a majority will prefer the newer Seltos & Creta over this vintage car. We should really refrain from talking about "rocky offroad trails" when the subject is a 2WD.
All right, rocky off road trail was exaggerating a bit. But having owned a 2WD Duster, I know that you can safely take it through a dirt trail or a make it climb over a bit of a rock without much fear of being struck underneath. To that extent, the Creta/Seltos dont "look" rugged. That was my point. An interesting comparison would be between Duster RXZ CVT and the mid-spec Harrier AT, Compass Longitude AT (assuming similar features or lack thereof). All three cars have a similar sort of 'raw' appeal. Here the Duster scores on pricing.
fhdowntheline is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 09:43   #39
BHPian

Will there be any upgrades to the archaic interiors as well or is this just a mechanical update?
Old 18th August 2020, 10:32   #40
BHPian

To be very honest, I feel the same that the new Engine will not do much for the Duster.
Looking at the competition, the bling factor is missing. Like it or not, BLING sells in India today. Not the car, design, capabilities, engine, features but BLING.

AWD was a big point of owning a Duster and with the new 2020 model line-up that single biggest factor has been messed up.
Old 18th August 2020, 10:34   #41
BHPian

I had seen the turbo petrol duster at the auto expo and had very low expectations on Renault making it a reality. I presently own a duster AWD, I just hope they bring this engine and AWD together at some point in the future.
Old 18th August 2020, 10:42   #42
BHPian

The 1.3 Turbo with a really good tune is a huge welcome from an enthusiast point of view, but the interiors, still a huge let down when compared to the competition of seltos and creta, which are 2 gens ahead at least and 2 airbags for the top variant, C'mon Renault.
Old 18th August 2020, 10:52   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
All right, rocky off road trail was exaggerating a bit. But having owned a 2WD Duster, I know that you can safely take it through a dirt trail or a make it climb over a bit of a rock without much fear of being struck underneath. To that extent, the Creta/Seltos dont "look" rugged. That was my point. An interesting comparison would be between Duster RXZ CVT and the mid-spec Harrier AT, Compass Longitude AT (assuming similar features or lack thereof). All three cars have a similar sort of 'raw' appeal. Here the Duster scores on pricing.
I have taken my Seltos on a narrow hilly road, with some deep ruts, slush, lots of jutting rocks and steep slopes (Google Maps to be blamed). The car was loaded with 4 adults and I just crawled through the rough patches. The car didn't scrape anywhere even though I was expecting it at multiple points on the 4km long stretch.

Would I have been more comfortable driving a Duster or Harrier on that day? Yes

Would I have gone any faster on that road with either of these cars? No. I would prefer being careful and crawled at the same pace.

Would I feel stronger with a Harrier or Duster on a slush road? No, as I know the limitations of any 2wd car.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 11:14   #44
BHPian

I think the positioning of Duster is confusing. It's a butch looking SUV and quite proportionate on the outside, but the interiors and features are not even close to CSUVs and other Pseudo-SUVs we have today.

I think it would be best to position Duster as a tough lifestyle off-roader (similar to Thar 2.0). That way, the interiors will not draw comparisons with today's overloaded cockpit like interiors of other cars. Not giving AWD is a big retro-step IMO. The car is very well suited to go off-tarmac and have decent features for an off-roader.

You can't sell a car purely on engine specs (or any one aspect only, for that matter). At least make the other aspects less compromising and more VFM.
Old 18th August 2020, 11:27   #45
BHPian

I would consider this over the Thar and the Creta, BUT only if they offered the AWD. Without the AWD, there really is nothing special about this.

Creta is way more luxurious, practical and modern car, while the new Thar is a way better go-anywhere adventure tourer. The AWD Duster would slot in perfectly between the two and be a practical all-in-one car.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks