Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 16:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

Mod Note: The Toyota Hilux has been launched in India. Please continue the discussion on the new thread.

According to a media report, Toyota is looking to introduce the Hilux pickup truck in India. At present, the company is evaluating the vehicle for our market.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-h1.jpg

The Hilux shares its underpinnings with the Innova and Fortuner. It measures 5,285 mm in length and has a wheelbase measuring 3,085 mm. Both these figures are more than the MPV and SUV. It comes with a 1.5 m x 1.5 m loading bay at the rear.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-h2.jpg

The Hilux also uses the same engines, transmissions and suspension components as the Innova and Fortuner. However, at the rear, it uses a leaf spring setup instead of coil springs as the former is more suited to handling loads. Toyota is reportedly considering the 2.4L and 2.8L diesel engines for the pickup and the latter could produce up to 500 Nm.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-h3.jpg

Toyota will look to assemble the Hilux locally. Since it shares many components with the Innova and Fortuner, the company should be able to price it lower than a CBU would cost. The pickup is expected to be priced between Rs. 15 lakh – Rs. 20 lakh in India.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-h4.jpg

The Hilux will compete with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross if it comes to our shores.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Source

Last edited by Aditya : 31st March 2022 at 18:44.
Aditya is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:25   #2
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The pickup is expected to be priced between Rs. 15 lakh – Rs. 20 lakh in India.
If they really do launch Hilux at that price, I will sell all my current rides to buy it and will keep it for the rest of my life! I became a Toyota fan ever since I saw the Unkillable Hilux episodes of Top Gear and was always wondering why they haven't launched it in India.

Ok that was an impulsive statement. If I have to think sensiby, if they launch it at that price then commercial operators might lap it up to use it like a Tata Ace (or whatever those mini lorries are called) which will kill its appeal for me. Interiors could also be built to last (like Etios) rather than to give a premium vibe.
Seeing their recent product launches and pricing strategy, a realistic assumption would be a price in 30-35L range.

In summary, I would buy it if it is launched in 15L segment with premium interiors. But that's like asking Fortuner for Creta money which is impossible.

Last edited by nagr22 : 17th August 2020 at 16:31.
nagr22 is online now   (45) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:26   #3
MMV
BHPian

Looks promising. Though voulmes may not be much (less than 1000/month) since lot of parts are common with platform partners (Fortuner and Crysta) the pricing can be made competitive without reduction in margins.
On a seperate note, Toyota in India seems to be moving above 12lac price tag with cross badged variants for lower end of market.
Old 17th August 2020, 16:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If they price the Hilux in the range of ₹15-20L then this just shows how grossly overpriced the Fortuner and Innova are! The interiors are more or less same, the 2.8L engine is same and it has the same 4WD system.

But it is important that they launch it at this price since this a niche product competing against the Isuzu V-Cross. If they launch one for the commercial market as well then I say like the Innova Crysta this will completely dominate the pick-up segment as well, which other than Mahindra’s Bolero pick-up has no competition whatsoever! Also not to forget the updated 2.8L engine’s performance, 10s 0-100 is the time given by Toyota for the Hilux

Good to see Toyota waking up to changing trends but cost is an important factor for their cars at this moment and honestly this pricing comes as a surprise after the RAV4’s rumoured ₹60L price

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 17th August 2020 at 16:39.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they forgot to multiply the estimated price by 2

No way they are going to price it lower than the innova.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 17th August 2020 at 16:34.
giri1.8 is online now   (54) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

The Hilux also uses the same engines, transmissions and suspension components as the Innova and Fortuner. However, at the rear, it uses a leaf spring setup instead of coil springs as the former is more suited to handling loads. Toyota is reportedly considering the 2.4L and 2.8L diesel engines for the pickup and the latter could produce up to 500 Nm.

Toyota will look to assemble the Hilux locally. Since it shares many components with the Innova and Fortuner, the company should be able to price it lower than a CBU would cost. The pickup is expected to be priced between Rs. 15 lakh – Rs. 20 lakh in India.
Great news
Being a Toyota fan, I was really worried about it's prospective future in our country with them going badge engineering way these days and discontinuing true Toyota vehicles (Etios, Corolla). What would a Toyota vehicle be without having a Toyota Engine?

If it is priced in 15 to 20 lakh bracket, it will be the best seller in it's segment.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

There's surely a typo in the expected price range? This will be nothing short of 30 lakhs in India. It makes sense that they're mulling bringing in the high end products now(Supra/Hilux/Rav4 etc) that they don't have to worry about developing India centric mass market products thanks to Suzuki.
Nithesh_M is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:43   #8
BHPian

Expected price of ₹15-20 lakh is not going to be true. Even though it has the underpinnings of the Fortuner and the Crysta.

The pricing of this Hilux starts around ₹ 17.5 Lakh (2.4D/148bhp/400NM) if the GCC pricing is converted. That too in the 4x2 guise and ₹21 Lakh for 4x4 variant. Moreover the difference of price between the Fortuner and Hilux in international market is around ₹5-7 lakhs for the 4x2 variant if converted.

So maybe we can expect it to be priced around ₹6-7 Lakh cheaper than a Fortuner.

Last edited by kamilharis : 17th August 2020 at 16:44.
kamilharis is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:49   #9
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I wish Toyota is seriously considering bringing the Hilux to India !

Like most others have said, Toyota will launch the Hilux at some atrocious price range, the reason of which our complex brains will never be able to comprehend. Even if its priced at 25-30 L, I would say Toyota went easy on us Indians.

That said, I would love to see the Hilux on sale in india.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 18:08   #10
BHPian

Toyota might use their credentials earned from the Innova and Fortuner to find selective buyers for the Hilux even though it is not considered a glamourous product around the world.

I personally love pick-up trucks and an addition to the Indian market is appreciated but the pricing of the current Fortuner will definitely lead the pricing for the Hilux to be pretty steep. Maybe 3-4 lakhs more than the Isuzu D-max V-cross.
Old 17th August 2020, 18:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hilux is a brand in itself which has earned the 'indestructible' tag courtesy Top Gear. I doubt they will launch it as sub 20 lac prices where Toyota cars are priced astronomically just for the T badge on the nose.
Old 17th August 2020, 18:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
If I have to think sensiby, if they launch it at that price then commercial operators might lap it up to use it like a Tata Ace (or whatever those mini lorries are called) which will kill its appeal for me. Interiors could also be built to last (like Etios) rather than to give a premium vibe.
Toyota mite go the Isuzu way, two seperate models- Commercial and Lifestyle. I had fallen in love with the Hilux when I drove a Hilux 3.0 in Thailand. If the Hilux is sensibly priced, will buy one for sure.
Old 17th August 2020, 18:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Interesting tactic by Toyota. Their latest trends show that they know the products will sell low volumes with their new products and are focusing more on expansion of the product line-up since even the pick-up truck market hasn't picked up speed in India. If indeed the Hilux does make it to the Indian market, it has to be priced super-aggresively to ensure that it can give some competition to the V-Cross. However, if done so, the Hilux has a huge fan-following globally and therefore, shall sell in decent numbers.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 18:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist.

Is there any deal between Toyota and Autocarindia to gauge market response for planned products

That said. Hilux at 15-16lakhs starting is just

The Dmax Vcross eventhough from a small company is doing decently on the product's strength. Slap the big T badge on a product of that segment and the associated after sales support and you got a winner!

Though with Toyota's base in Thailand, really can't guess what their plan for the Hilux is if they are going to manufacture it here.

The starting price of 15-16 lakhs is kinda spot on.
Thr Hilux is cheaper than even the Innova in most markets.
But the catch is those are the commercial single cab models with the smaller engines.

The double cab, raised height, 4x4 models with bigger engine options with all bells and whistles fitted with accessories almost reach base Fortuner level pricing.

If it was not for Thailand's presence, could have assumed they wanted to make India an export hub to utilise all those excess production capacity...again... just pleasantly surprised the Hilux is even being mulled to be launched here.

Add to that rumours of Ford planning to bring in the Ranger in Raptor form to keep the Fordness intact during the Mahindra JV times.

Exciting times indeed.
DicKy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 19:04   #15
BHPian

I fell in love with the pickup/truck concept since the day I lay my eyes on the Tatamobile.
While doing home work for my WagonR successor, I seriously considered Tata Xenon. She is a real beauty. Sadly like all second wives, she is high maintenance.
I loved the Isuzu D-Max, sadly it was just too long and heavy.
Now Toyota is dipped it's toes to test the waters.

Hopefully one of them gets the right combination of looks/utility/affordability soon and we can have a cool new style of driving. High time the pickup lifestyle caught roots in India.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed