Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2022, 18:44   #181
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

Nippon Toyota (Kerala) has begun calling their elite customers and accepting "priority" orders for the Hilux at Rs. 32L ex-showroom.
Vijin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 17:08   #182
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Toyota Hilux could be launched on January 23

Toyota is all set to enter the lifestyle pickup truck segment with the Hilux. If the outbreak of Omicron stays in check, it could be launched on January 23, 2022.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-download-35.jpg

Contrary to earlier reports, the Hilux will not be a direct import. Instead, Toyota will import semi-knocked down (SKD) kits and assemble them in India. There will be only one variant on offer.

In India, the Hilux will be powered by a 2.8-litre diesel engine, which is also offered in the Fortuner Legender. This engine produces 201 BHP and 500 Nm. It will have a four-wheel drive system with a locking rear differential for improved traction.

It is also said that the Hilux will come with Toyota's A-TRAC, which stands for 'Active Traction Control'. The system automatically detects and intervenes when one or more wheels lose traction and applies the brake to the wheel that has lost traction. This allows the system to send power to the wheel that has optimal traction.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2022 at 16:13.
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 17:16   #183
Senior - BHPian

Great, so we are getting the Hilux with full off-road hardware. Even with the CKD route, I think the ex-showroom price will be above 30L. With Fortuner 4x4 AT almost at 50L, there is now a wide gap with Crysta. I think Hilux will be placed bang in the middle at 40L on road.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 18:32   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Great, so we are getting the Hilux with full off-road hardware. Even with the CKD route, I think the ex-showroom price will be above 30L. With Fortuner 4x4 AT almost at 50L, there is now a wide gap with Crysta. I think Hilux will be placed bang in the middle at 40L on road.
30 lakhs? Wishful thinking! Knowing Toyota, I wouldn't be surprised if this hits 60 lakhs (a 2x premium over the Isuzu D-Max) given the traditional arbitrary and absurd pricing of their "Lifestyle Vehicles" (Prado, TLC, and some of their Lexus models (example: LC 500 Limited Edition)
mango_pal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 19:57   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
30 lakhs? Wishful thinking! Knowing Toyota, I wouldn't be surprised if this hits 60 lakhs (a 2x premium over the Isuzu D-Max) given the traditional arbitrary and absurd pricing of their "Lifestyle Vehicles" (Prado, TLC, and some of their Lexus models (example: LC 500 Limited Edition)
60 lakhs?! Where did this figure come from? Toyota knows the competitor's price and they also know the price of the Fortuner. Placing it at 60Lakh above even the Fortuner is plain stupidity! And why would anyone in India buy a pick-up truck for 60Lakhs, they would rather buy the Fortuner and be happy.

And by now several dealers have started unofficial bookings stating the ex-showroom price between 30-35 Lakh ex-showroom.

The Lexus LC500h is a different case since it's a CBU, Hilux like mentioned will be a SKD.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 4th January 2022 at 20:12.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:52   #186
BHPian

Spoke with a SA at a dealership in Bangalore today.
According to him, the launch is on the 19th 0f January, 2 variants (manual and automatic), pricing to be around 30 lakhs ex-showroom Bangalore.
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 23:15   #187
BANNED

Superb Car.

I have used this car in the middle east, in the oil and gas industry, as a pickup truck.

Very comfortable and can carry some cargo as well.

Not sure how much useful or successful it will be in India.

Did not see much success with Tata Xenon or Isuzu dmax

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th January 2022 at 00:19. Reason: Please read the Forum's rules carefully before posting. Your post was rife with typographical and punctuation errors.
jignesh.pithia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 23:51   #188
BHPian

Quote:
30 lakhs? Wishful thinking! Knowing Toyota, I wouldn't be surprised if this hits 60 lakhs
Wow that is news sir! however i presume toyota will price this between the innova and the fortuner and have a hit on its hands with the 2.8 engine at approx 36lakhs otr Delhi.
Old 4th January 2022, 23:51   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
60 lakhs?! Where did this figure come from? Toyota knows the competitor's price and they also know the price of the Fortuner. Placing it at 60Lakh above even the Fortuner is plain stupidity! And why would anyone in India buy a pick-up truck for 60Lakhs, they would rather buy the Fortuner and be happy.

And by now several dealers have started unofficial bookings stating the ex-showroom price between 30-35 Lakh ex-showroom.

The Lexus LC500h is a different case since it's a CBU, Hilux like mentioned will be a SKD.
Fortuner is touching 50 lakhs and that's made in India. This is an SKD, not even a CKD, with the same engine as a Fortuner, what makes you think it will cost the same amount as an Innova?

Tones aren't well captured on chat: being genuinely curious here!
mango_pal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 01:44   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fortuner is touching 50 lakhs and that's made in India. This is an SKD, not even a CKD, with the same engine as a Fortuner, what makes you think it will cost the same amount as an Innova?

Tones aren't well captured on chat: being genuinely curious here!
Because it would be dead on arrival if its priced above the fortuner. This is not America, unless it comes with a V6 or never before heard off in India features, it makes no sense to buy a pickup over an SUV. Not to mention, people plonking 50 big ones on a fortuner want 3 rows of seating so they can lug their whole family with them 'just in case'.
Old 5th January 2022, 07:54   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don’t think most recent posts are stating it’ll cost the “same amount as an Innova”. They’re saying it will sit “above” an Innova and at a landed price between the Innova and Fortuner. An Innova retails “on road” for approximately 30L while price estimates here are being pegged at 30 - 35 L “ex showroom” which would translate to about 40L +/- on road.

In a market where they are already selling the Fortuner on road at 50L (+/-) I don’t believe they will price the UT at more than that. My own sense too is that this will plonk squarely between the Innova and Fortuner on price. Let’s wait and see where it ends up, or closer to which of the two it ends up at. One thing is for sure - I don’t think Toyota will balk at pricing this WELL ABOVE the Isuzu, specially since Isuzu is still flogging their last gen truck here and also because of the much higher brand equity Toyota is confident of.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 09:47   #192

I follow a guy on Instagram. Saw this on his story which he reposted. The owner's a Naga as far as I know. Have some people already bought the Hilux?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-img_20220105_094022.jpg  

Toshi_A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 11:09   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshi_A View Post
I follow a guy on Instagram. Saw this on his story which he reposted. The owner's a Naga as far as I know. Have some people already bought the Hilux?
Looks like the same Hilux that was posted by @Venkatesh

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5225012

Most likely it's the same Hilux and it has been imported from Thailand.
Old 5th January 2022, 11:25   #194

Quote:
Looks like the same Hilux that was posted by @Venkatesh

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5225012

The owner was my senior in school and is my older Brother's friend. They have a Maybach S-Class,a GMC Sierra and an X6. Didn't know this Hilux was theirs too. Wonder what else they got in that sick garage.
Toshi_A is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 05:10   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
How reliable is this 2022 timeline? And any news if this will also bring in some new models (beyond Fortuner / Innova)?
Definitely going to happen. Time lines as with anything else with Toyota, unknown. Let’s wait for the Hilux launch, they may touch on the subject.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post

There are a couple of Hilux and Rangers in Nagaland and Manipur. Private imports from Thailand and this definitely is one of them.
OT: Are there any different rules for native people from those states to get cars from neighbouring countries?

I understand Cars can be imported only via some specific ports and just the basic custom duty is 100% plus the hassles. It’s not easy for any individual.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th January 2022 at 05:13.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed