Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2022, 12:51   #211
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

I had spotted this Hilux back in 2018 in Kolkata. This is a previous gen but now I think testing had begun around that time. The overall stance remains the same and the view perspective is from a Baleno.

Last edited by aenkay91 : 11th January 2022 at 12:54.
aenkay91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 14:17   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Bookings for Toyota Hilux will commence on the launch day( Jan 20th) itself while the deliveries are scheduled to begin from March.

Quote:
The official bookings for the new Toyota Hilux will commence on the launch day itself and the prospective buyers will be able to reserve one for themselves by paying a token amount of Rs 1 lakh.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 18:22   #213
BHPian

I would love to see these being used in certain parts of our country with 'security guards' sitting in the exposed part and jumping out as the car reaches the destination.

Faster to get down than side facing seats of Scorpios.
Old 11th January 2022, 21:59   #214
BHPian

If Hilux is priced few lakhs higher than D-Max, I may think of cancellig the booking for Thar Petrol. I only wish if this comes with Front and Rear Locking Diffs, that will make it a true offroader and have been checking the reviews from Down-under(Australia).

The build quality/off-road capability/ARB parts/Ride quality are all in place for this UTE.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 22:10   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
If Hilux is priced few lakhs higher than D-Max, I may think of cancellig the booking for Thar Petrol. I only wish if this comes with Front and Rear Locking Diffs, that will make it a true offroader and have been checking the reviews from Down-under(Australia).

The build quality/off-road capability/ARB parts/Ride quality are all in place for this UTE.
Hilux does not come with a front locking differential in Australia. It only has a rear locking differential in Australia. In all probability, the Hilux India version will have the same offroad hardware that Fortuner has - Low range with a rear differential lock and high range with Auto LSD and ATRAC.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 22:11   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I only wish if this comes with Front and Rear Locking Diffs, that will make it a true offroader and have been checking the reviews from Down-under(Australia).
It’s getting a rear locker like the Fortuner, that’s for sure, but will not get a front locker. In Australia one can get it fixed aftermarket, but I’m not sure about it in India. Although a few V-Cross’ in India are twin-locked, modified aftermarket.

Quote:
Not to forget the Arctic Trucks conversion!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th January 2022 at 22:13.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 22:45   #217
BHPian

So I do check reviews from this Channel a lot and they have also reviewed XUV 500.

The 4x4 are standard across range - 2H / 4H and 4L. Also there is just the rear locking diff which is automatic and there is no brake locking differential. Plus this locking diff can only be engaged with 4L and Hill Descent Control is also available.
Attached Images

swunkjyn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 10:06   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenkay91 View Post
I had spotted this Hilux back in 2018 in Kolkata. This is a previous gen but now I think testing had begun around that time.
That would be a vehicle being driven down to Bhutan. The Hilux has been sold in Bhutan for a long time now and sometimes they tend to drive down newly imported cars from Kolkatta port to Bhutan.

You can see a lot of models that are not sold in India if you travel regularly between Kolkata and Jaigaon.
Shanksta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 10:25   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 4x4 are standard across range - 2H / 4H and 4L. Also there is just the rear locking diff which is automatic and there is no brake locking differential.
I think ATRAC is Toyota terminology for brake locking differential. Fortuner comes with ATRAC, so Hilux should have it too.
Old 12th January 2022, 10:47   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think ATRAC is Toyota terminology for brake locking differential. Fortuner comes with ATRAC, so Hilux should have it too.
Yepp, that is what it seems. Brake Locking Diff in Thar is Toyota's A-TRAC where
A-TRAC stands for “Active Traction Control” and comes standard on some of Toyota's 4-wheel-drive models. ... A-TRAC detects when one or more wheels have lost traction and automatically applies the brakes to the wheel with no traction, allowing it to send power to the wheel with traction.

I just hope that they launch it at 25L.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 12:18   #221
BHPian

Having extensively driven the Hilux on some not so encouraging places, i am a big fan, and more than that full of respect for the vehicle. However I aint sure how practical this would be for a lot of Indians buying a pickup in India.

What piques my interest now is the thought process behind launching this product here. It would be wonderful education.

Having said that, i wouldnt be surprised if Toyota prices itself out of the race, considering Toyota's history in India. I wouldnt be surprised if the price is close to 40 Lakhs
I for one am of the honest opinion that the Japanese are fleecing the Indian customers big time. Honda & Toyota. I am sorry.

Last edited by nairanupg : 12th January 2022 at 12:19.
nairanupg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:24   #222
BHPian

Toyota sales folks in NCR are confident that the Hilux will be launched in the 25-28 lakh ex-showroom range. Let us see if Toyota surprises its sales team too
Old 12th January 2022, 13:52   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Hilux headed to Kolkata :

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-271813180_10158755768939389_7738044649805557701_n.jpg

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-271773860_10158755768994389_5580288904408577115_n.jpg

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-271816203_10158755769049389_3941708811090657107_n.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th January 2022 at 13:58.
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:55   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
SA shared the UAE brochure, but it looks like they’ve received an India specific training guide / FAQ
Is it just me or the 'transport' pack makes it look a lot closer to the Land Cruiser? May then become an alternate to Fortuner in the 'bigger the better' segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
The geography of India is such that these pickups will come in very utilitarian. Also it will expand a lot of opportunities for small time farmers and businesses involved in long haul moderate load transportation. And it will become a lifestyle product for the suburban and urban population.

PS
IMHO, not sure if the price difference would make financial sense for farmers / transporters users, especially with competition from mahindras, tatas, force, etc. available at much lower upfront cost like. In passenger transport, Innova gets a premium but cargo may not be able to afford to pay the premium (PUN INTENDED).
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:59   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
Prebooking & Launch on 20th Jan
Deliveries from 22nd March onwards
Looks very interesting and if they stick to their C Seg pricing then it is going to be really interesting. The only competitor in that segment is V-Cross and Isuzu has not shown any urgency in bringing their latest products into India and with Toyota reliability promise and availability of service outlets, this could turn out to be solo play for Toyota for a few years, until new entrants come - Mahindra Tata.

One grudge I have is the color options. The Attitude Black is not available at launch. It is one of my personal favorites and with the blacked out wheels and grille, the beasty looks really stands out.

It is outside my buying range right now, but will keep watching this space and hopefully Toyota provides some killer pricing
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks