Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2020, 11:54   #31
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

There is no way Toyota will price the bare bone version below 20 lacs ex-showroom if and when launched. The range will go all the way up to starting price of the Fortuner for the loaded Automatic. Toyota is not known to price their cars to compete.

Compare that to Isuzu, the top line Auto with 6 airbags was 25 odd lacs on road in Mumbai. The USP of Toyota is its reliability but in this segment its competing with another Japanese company which is not far behind in reliability either. So commanding huge premium over the V-cross might not work.

Further the commercial segment Isuzu D-max comes to sub 10 lacs, no way the Hilux can compete there. Another thing to note is Hilux will make a very small part of the entire sales for Toyota. On the other hand Isuzu has invested in India and only vehicles they sell is the D-max and the MUX. I expect Isuzu to fight the Toyota (Marketing/Offers) to maintain the upper hand.

P.S: My views might be biased, I have both the Manual and the Auto V-cross in the house.

Last edited by tazmaan : 18th August 2020 at 11:56.
tazmaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 13:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

The Hilux also uses the same engines, transmissions and suspension components as the Innova and Fortuner.
Didn't know that! Remember how they tried to kill one in the old Top Gear and never succeeded. No wonder the Toyotas are indestructible!
Kingston is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 14:19   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
The Hilux is definitely on the cards and will be priced aggressively to break Isuzu's monopoly in that segment (I doubt cheaper, but same to 15% more is what I think).

Other things being discussed are multiple engine and gearbox options, and customisation options straight from the factory (not dealer).
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 14:33   #34
Team-BHP Support

The Isuzu is no longer VFM, specially the automatic. If they are going to spec it identically and charge 15% more I would much rather give my money to isuzu any day (if I had to buy one).

Of course, Toyota can come as late as it wants to any party and enough people will still happily pay it a premium. Fortuner vs pre BS6 Endeavour sales numbers are a testament to how it can outsell even a better rival.
Old 18th August 2020, 14:50   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
Is this rumor really there? I mean even a rumor for Ranger (if not Raptor) coming excites me enough. So if indeed such a rumor is floating, that's a very good sign then.
for jumping guns and giving hope.

Just connected the dots.

Read on an ACI article about Ford trying to keep its identity intact during the platform sharing JV with Mahindra.
So they are seriously looking at utilising the 2500 import quota to bring iconic Fords to India.
Apart from Mustang and it's derivatives which are anyway coming, Ford would want to also look at other products.

Looking at the Octavia RS245 success, maybe it will work. But other than hardcore enthusiasts, bringing in the Fiesta/Focus RS/ST variants won't give Ford the exposure they want.
Ford Bronco ruled out as no news of RHD.
F-150 got diesel now alright, but only rumours of RHD are of the next generation.

But the Ranger?
Manufacture, assemble or import. They could price it so competitively that, even two or three vehicles, especially the Raptor version each in every tier-2 city will do wonders to the Ford brand.

Sorry for sounding click-baity, but it's a halo vehicle that's ready-made for the Indian market.

If Toyota launches the Hilux at 15-25 lakhs approx and it becomes a success. There is no other company or model better placed as a rival than Ford and Ranger.
Old 18th August 2020, 15:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
for jumping guns and giving hope.

Just connected the dots.

But the Ranger?
Manufacture, assemble or import. They could price it so competitively that, even two or three vehicles, especially the Raptor version each in every tier-2 city will do wonders to the Ford brand.

Sorry for sounding click-baity, but it's a halo vehicle that's ready-made for the Indian market.

If Toyota launches the Hilux at 15-25 lakhs approx and it becomes a success. There is no other company or model better placed as a rival than Ford and Ranger.
I totally agree with you bro! I am a big advocate of bringing the Ranger here, so much so that when they decided to launch it in US (it was a product for the Australian & other markets), I literally tweeted them again & again till they sent a lame reply saying that they launch product regularly & keep following us...blah blah.

I hope Hilux launches and makes a compelling case for Ford to consider launching the Ranger.
Ashwin Morey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 15:53   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan
The Hilux is definitely on the cards. Other things being discussed are multiple engine and gearbox options, and customisation options straight from the factory (not dealer).
Highly unlikely and not what Toyota is known for, at least in India. Innova was probably an exception that had 2 different Diesel engines at one point in time. Fortuner has got only One Diesel & One Petrol Engine. Best case, Toyota can launch a limited edition of an existing model with a TRD badge or put some stickers or black paint and sell differently.

Quote:
will be priced aggressively to break Isuzu's monopoly in that segment
Isuzu
Isuzu would barely be doing triple-digit numbers in a Year and have no vehicles to sell for the past 6 months and no one knows, what's going to happen. Isuzu has got a lot of people from Mahindra & Tata commercial vehicles and their focus since past year and more was only commercial vehicles.

If at all Hilux may happen, they will come with a fully loaded variant and perhaps price around 30 Lac to make space for new Fortuner which should be over 40 Lac by the time they launch.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 16:03   #38
BHPian

One quick google search shows 4×4 version Hilux is sold in Pakistan @50 lac pakistani Rupees which roughly converts to Rs21lac inr.
Hemantteen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 10:33   #39
BHPian

A "true and large" Toyota with International name & fame is on cards in indeed a great news. It is going to find buyers! Infact, it may create a brand of its own like the Fortuner.

For pricing, I would not buy the 15-17 L guesstimate. Knowing Toyota's pricing strategy in India, I am sure they will price is way beyond. As it shares platform and engine options with the Fortuner, price will be within that ballpark only. Though Toyota may pass the savings on lesser specced suspension and interiors to the customer. My guess will be 25L ex-showroom for lower variants.
Old 19th August 2020, 10:33   #40

I know that if this comes here, in going to have this in my garage one way or another. If within 21lacs then immediately when it's launched. Else will wait some more and get a used one. But yes, it will happen. Finally the Legendary Toyota Hilux. I'm excited already.
Old 19th August 2020, 11:03   #41
BHPian

If the info of trying to break Isuzu's monopoly in the lifestyle segment is true, then we have great times ahead for the auto industry.
I think all this is the effect of covid-19 pandemic, forcing automakers to get their best products to India thus trying to improve sales and brand image. I just hope that my earlier post of the Hilux being priced exorbitantly does not turn to be reality
Old 19th August 2020, 11:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemantteen View Post
One quick google search shows 4×4 version Hilux is sold in Pakistan @50 lac pakistani Rupees which roughly converts to Rs21lac inr.

The cost of Corolla 1.8 VL Cvt in Pakistan is 36 lac which comes to 15 odd lacs in India and the same is sold at 20.2 lacs in India so there is no point in comparing price from other country because there are a lots of other factors like taxes etc.
Old 19th August 2020, 12:05   #43
BHPian

Toyota should refrain from bringing such irrelevant products to India.
Instead they should have the guts to launch their own cars in other segments such as hatchbacks, sedans, MuVs, SuVs and compact SuVs.

I really feel that these pickup trucks are only for bling, show and machoism in a congested country like India and will fail to serve its purpose. And I don't think anyone will be willing to abuse their Rs 20+ lack pickup trucks which cheaper pick-up trucks like Mahindra Bolero and Tata Xenon are subjected to.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 12:10   #44

That’s amazing news. I hope they consider bringing more amazing Toyotas and even consider adding more engine options to their existing lineup as well. I’m pretty sure a RAV4, Highlander, Avalon, etc. will do amazingly well if they are priced competitively and against the endeavor, abroad endeavor is placed against the Prado. Avalon can seriously beat superb if priced properly. I really wish Toyota looks into the India market well, granted it’s only a fraction of their global sales, but the untapped potential is huge. Corolla if they had marketed it well and given it some more features it would’ve been the innova of its segment and many people wouldn’t even consider the Octavia, Elantra or the civic. They are dominating the MPV segment with innova. I honestly feel they can dominate more segments on their own without any tie ups like the existing one with Suzuki. An India specific CH-R or a Toyota hatchback can do wonders. Come on Toyota!!
Old 19th August 2020, 13:30   #45
BHPian

A welcome news indeed! First the news on the RAV4 and now this, Toyota is definitely spicing things up. It would be amazing if Toyota is able to price the truck in the 15-20L range, although I seriously doubt it given the premium pricing that its other products - the Fortuner and the Crysta command.

That being said, the pick-up truck segment in India is still in its infancy in India despite the V-Cross and if Toyota has to garner some meaningful monthly numbers, it will have to price it aggressively.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks