Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2020, 13:50   #46
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

Toyota Hilux is pictured by me as truck full of Taliban in Afghanistan and involved more often in shootouts as shown in several Hollywood TV series. I have never seen Hilux picking up a proper load on these (exaggerated ?) espionage / spy TV shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemantteen View Post
One quick google search shows 4×4 version Hilux is sold in Pakistan @50 lac pakistani Rupees which roughly converts to Rs21lac inr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
The cost of Corolla 1.8 VL Cvt in Pakistan is 36 lac which comes to 15 odd lacs in India and the same is sold at 20.2 lacs in India so there is no point in comparing price from other country because there are a lots of other factors like taxes etc.
Seems we cannot draw any analogy to international market prices, Toyota pricing is very differential logic driven for different markets based on their perception of the customer segment and their price appetite.

However if the objective is to compete with Isuzu then it should be close to that price range of the D-Mux V-Cross 4x4 which is between 16-20 Lakhs INR (ES) or marginally higher.

If the M&M new Thar is also in 15 Lakh range or higher it may get killed by Hilux same way people buy Crysta base model over Marazzo inspite of the price difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Toyota should refrain from bringing such irrelevant products to India.
Instead they should have the guts to launch their own cars in other segments such as hatchbacks, sedans, MuVs, SuVs and compact SuVs.
I think they are unable to compete with the established players like Hyundai, and MSIL in the sub 10 lakh INR bracket where they fail to keep a high profit margin by giving all the bells and whistles that would otherwise appeal to majority buyers.

Remember how Etios interior was barebone when Hyundai were offering luxury at the same price? Buyers in this segment are many a case first time buyers and they judge not by only longevity but more by overall package appeal including looks both inside and outside as its a status symbol too.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 13:52   #47

Hilux would be super desirable even if it is launched at a price similar to the Isuzu since it already has brand value in its favour and the reliability and resale value
Old 19th August 2020, 19:47   #48
BHPian

If only wishes were horses

Considering Toyota's greediness for pricing expect this to be placed over Fortuner in the line up.

No comments on Toyota's pace for bringing new cars to India.
Old 19th August 2020, 22:21   #49
BHPian

Personally, I believe anything to do with commercial usage (pick ups etc) have to be priced with the customer in mind. Offroading and taking the family for camping trips with loads of stuff, tail-gate parties are best left to the other world. That audience is quite small in India and for that lifestyle can spend whatever required.
If the target is small/medium businesses, then pricing and maintenance will play a big role. Under 10L pricing for a bare bones, reliable carrier will sell very well. The only significant advantage a pick up has over any panel van is height of cargo.
mmxylorider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 06:28   #50
BANNED

The launch of Hilux, if priced right, will change the whole perceptive of car ownership in India. It will be a worthy upgrade. They must have a pick up bed cover in metal available as an accessory which will makd it a better option for many more common folks. If they manage a sub 10L bare bone variant, then there might be quite a number of folks preferring that to the pricey preium and "suv" hatchbacks.
Old 20th August 2020, 09:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
If the M&M new Thar is also in 15 Lakh range or higher it may get killed by Hilux same way people buy Crysta base model over Marazzo inspite of the price difference.
I am not sure it will. Infact I think the opposite might happen, if the Hilux is priced very close to the new thar, it might get affected by it because thar has created a strong brand equity on its own like the Innova has, Hilux might popular abroad, but not really so here. I have a feeling the buyers of these two cars are not going to cross shop.

Crysta base sells more because of the reason I said above, the brand "Innova" had been here for nearly a decade and it had become synonymous with dependability among common public.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why Toyota doesn't think of bringing the Avanza and Rush into India. These vehicles are just the perfect size for our cities. Both are essentially the same chassis. The Avanza is an MPV, bigger in size than the WagonR but smaller than the Ertiga while the Rush is an SUV. Both these vehicles would have done better than the Yaris (Vios).
longhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 21:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I don't understand why Toyota doesn't think of bringing the Avanza and Rush into India. These vehicles are just the perfect size for our cities. Both are essentially the same chassis. The Avanza is an MPV, bigger in size than the WagonR but smaller than the Ertiga while the Rush is an SUV. Both these vehicles would have done better than the Yaris (Vios).
The Ertiga is a direct competitor of the Avanza and the interior space is very similar, however the Avanza is much higher off the ground with rear wheel drive. The Avanza is a true workhorse of SE Asia, I regularly see them with more than 500,000kms with untouched engines, extremely reliable and very car like to drive.

The current generation Rush/Terios is also an MPV in response to the Xpander, with Toyota ditching the 1st gen SUV body style. It’s slotted just above the Avanza/Xenia twins and below the Innova.

I agree Toyota should bring both these vehicles into the Indian market. However, the Rush doesn’t have a direct competitor in India (Mitsu Xpander/Nissan Livina) and they’d create a new segment. I can’t help but think it would cannibalise their Innova sales.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 14:13   #54
BHPian

Ford Ranger being tested in India! If it's true then we certainly have good times around.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-fb_img_1597998750641.jpg

Note: Cannot verify the authenticity of this pic, but the pic does look like taken in India and being circulated in FB 4×4 India group. So take this with a pinch of salt.

Source: https://www.carblogindia.com/ford-ra...d-max-v-cross/
neelkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 18:47   #55
BHPian

Maybe the Hilux is not so great after all. Check this video
car love is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 19:06   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Maybe the Hilux is not so great after all. Check this video
This video is from 2016. The problem was already rectified in 2017 version. You can read more about it here - https://teknikensvarld.se/toyota-hil...e-test-470061/.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:26   #57
BHPian

I believe that Toyota can hit those numbers of 15-20 lac if they want. But for that money we will get a barebone vehicle with all the bells and whistles demanding a premium. The whole aura of getting stuff like bedliner, roller lids, premium interiors, etc factory fitted will surely push the price to 25+ IMO.

ISUZU is itself planning to raise prices considerably and if they launch the next gen model in India (with a premium ofcourse), Toyota will definitely have the wiggle room to raise prices.
Old 27th August 2020, 16:29   #58
VRJ
BHPian

Toyota has just released the prices for the all new Hilux in Australia. The prices have increased by a huge margin. The video by car advice says SR5 2.8 AT is the highest selling variant and it used to cost $53,990 drive away, however, the 2021 facelifted one costs more than $63,000. That’s an increase of 10 grand . The prices in the below screenshot are ex-showroom prices. Based on today’s foreign exchange rate, $63,000 equals Rs 33,77,591. Add 2.5L more for the SR5+ variant.

Following is the screenshot from the Caradvice video on YouTube:

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-hilux-cost.png

What’s interesting is that the 2021 Fortuner is priced very close to the Hilux. Following are the ex-showroom prices for 2021 Fortuner:

• Fortuner GX – $49,080
• Fortuner GXL – $54,350
• Fortuner Crusade – $61,410

Source: https://www.caradvice.com.au/873840/...ice-and-specs/

An interesting point is, the new Hilux and Fortuner get more horsepower and torque as all know. However, only the Automatic variant gets the 500NM of torque and the manual remains at 420NM. Both the transmissions offer 201 bhp though.

The 2021 Isuzu Dmax Vcross is also priced very similarly to the Hilux. This is a screenshot from their pricing video on YouTube.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-isuzu-cost.png

I’m not sure how Toyota was planning on launching the Hilux in the price range of 15-20L. They can't follow Australian pricing and price it similar to the Fortuner, it'll be a hard sell in India. I’m guessing the top of the line variant of the Hilux will retail for around 32L on road. I wish they priced it in the twenties as there will be a lot more takers and this can boost the pickup culture in India. I love pickup trucks. They have so much character, they’re so rugged and versatile. If I’m in the market for a pickup, I would go for the Hilux, eyes closed. I’m happy to pay a 'reasonable' premium for the Toyota badge. Isuzu are fantastic cars and their diesel engines are very reliable too, however, their service network is not as strong as Toyota and it can never beat the resale values of a Toyota. Should be an interesting battle between the Japanese car makers. Isuzu's low sales numbers in India is not very confident inspiring from a customer point of view. Isuzu's numbers are never even mentioned in Team-BHP's monthly sales thread. The worst part is their cars are still not BS6 compliant, I'm not sure why they were not able to meet the deadline even though they had plenty of time to figure things out. Shows their commitment.

I personally don’t like the chrome grille on the New Hilux. Got this picture from caradvice's first drive review. link mentioned below.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-hilux-grille.jpg

Source: https://www.caradvice.com.au/876680/...ux-sr5-review/

The blacked out grille and wheels add a lot of character and looks way better than the chrome grille. Hopefully Toyota India gives us this variant.
Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-2021toyotahiluxinvinciblegradeeurope-1.jpg

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-2021toyotahiluxinvinciblegradeeurope.jpg

Source https://www.motor1.com/photo/5025170...ta-hilux-2021/

However, I still feel the Isuzu has the better exterior and interior. It looks very contemporary. I would love to own one.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-isuzu-1.jpg

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-isuzu-interior.jpg

Source: https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/rev...x4-2020-review

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 16:02   #59
BHPian

Hilux spied in India

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-screenshot_20200910155811__01.jpg

Source: motoroids.com
neelkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 18:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelkumar View Post
Hilux spied in India
The Esteem you see in picture is West Bengal registered. These Hilux's are mostly destined to Bhutan.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks