Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2021, 14:31   #76
AZT
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

The Hilux always reminds me of Black Hawk Down, machine gun in the rear and all. This car is the most abused car in the world and the choice of war-lords world over.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 17:13   #77
BHPian

It's got a war in its name and with its sibling the LC, the war was won. So probably the Indian armed forces can also consider it for their forward ops.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War
Old 5th June 2021, 01:31   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Since the rumours are pretty stong and persistent this time, might as well daydream the prices and variants.

Checked the prices in Saudi Arabia, Thailand and Philippines. Cross checked with the Innova prices in these markets but was not much of a help, as we have the cheapest Innova prices in the world. Saudi Arabia, since it is the largest market in GCC and my go-to place to know the real pricing of vehicles. From almost nil taxes a decade ago to 5% VAT to the present 15% VAT on cars, am out of touch with the ground reality there. Maybe BHPian kamilharis could help. Thailand, not Japan, but Thailand that is the home of the Hilux now. Philippines, since it is one of the rare SE Asian country that has liberal norms for imported cars.

Unlikely to happen but dreaming

Toyota carpet bombs the segment. From the single cab-chassis version at ~₹13 lakhs to the full blown tonka truck like versions at ₹30 lakhs+, and everything in between.
Name:  7376f91cb663396cded2542f86f46b345074c7f1283330d07294127f58864a55.png
Views: 4792
Size:  76.2 KB
Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-design_banner_mob2.jpg

Single cab, space cab, double cab, 2.4l, 2.8l, manual, automatic, 2wd, 4x4. The works. My dream spec. The SWB single cab short bed or ordinary double cab with the 2.4l diesel and 4x4 at <₹20 lakhs.
Name:  6e71a07be1aa7fb3a0e8e4c6995c2bfb50dbdf687b3bbdc27c88811a4aade2b0.png
Views: 4722
Size:  100.4 KB

Assuming that with the rebadged Maruti launches, Toyota has abandoned their near premium image.

It could be Toyota's next Qualis/Innova moment, but existence of Toyota Thailand means we could just be CKD recipients.

Most likely to happen

Guessing that they were waiting for Isuzu's recent launches to decide, they may ape Isuzu. So it could mean an ordinary version with the 2.4l priced against the Hi-lander. Then a lifted, kitted out version with the 2.8l at ~₹25-30 lakhs. Throw in a couple more variants in between.

Name:  f9e5a3dba8e7b122c2ed5bafab62c859ff5975102769eb42db36138d3c2fa397.png
Views: 4474
Size:  109.0 KB
Name:  25cc085f8307f6c7d58920d4c898194453effb6b93f5bd7906d45198b388e40c.png
Views: 4582
Size:  84.0 KB

Worst case scenario

They will bring in a decently specced lifted truck under the 2500/year quota and price it at Fortuner levels. It will be sold out in no time. Toyota happy. The customers who bought it are happy.

Name:  28c6539e1903018b71fac1d2282a274791473297789feddeb91c02c2dd3fb16b.png
Views: 4233
Size:  87.8 KB

Last edited by DicKy : 5th June 2021 at 01:41.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 02:20   #79
Senior - BHPian

The V Cross segment in itself is not a big numbers segment as far as sales go, since pickups are more of a lifestyle option in India. Also maneuvering these behemoths within most of our urban roads can be a nightmare. However if this thing comes in the price band of the Isuzu pickup, then it is pretty much game over for the V-cross. But I don't see that happening, but if it happens good for us. Also with rumors of the Ford pickup entering India, the segment can get really heated up with the trio.

TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 13:02   #80
BHPian

Just for comparison, here are the Hilux prices in Australia (Melbourne, driveaway):

Cheapest base model "Workmate":
Petrol, 2WD, Single cab, Manual - $29k (Rs. 16.37 Lakhs)

Diesel - Add $5k
4WD - Add $11k
Dual Cab - Add $7k

Workmate with all of the above - $52k (Rs. 30 Lakhs)

Mid-range model SR5 (very popular with families) model:
2.8L T/Diesel, 4WD, Dual Cab, Automatic - $64.4k (Rs. 36.3 Lakhs)

Top of the range Rugged X - $75k (Rs. 42.34 Lakhs)

FORTUNER: 2.8L T/Diesel, 4WD, Automatic - $54k to $67k

PRADO: 2.8L T/Diesel, 4WD, Automatic -
GX - $65k; very popular GXL - $72k, other models up to $90k

As you can see, Hilux goes head to head with equivalent Fortuner models while the top Hilux is more expensive than midtier Prados.

So, I seriously doubt if Toyota would pitch Hilux as a cheaper alternative to the Fortuner - it is targeted at a different clientele (supposedly more active /outdoorsy compared to the popular mum's taxi Prado). You hardly see a Fortuner in Australian roads - anyone who wants one pays a little bit more & gets a Prado - while Hilux has been one of the best sellers for years - it was the top-selling vehicle in Australia in 2020 (45,000) followed by Ford Ranger (41,000). Prado was #8 best seller at 18,000.

Last edited by LTAutoMad : 5th June 2021 at 13:17. Reason: .
LTAutoMad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 12:07   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTAutoMad View Post
As you can see, Hilux goes head to head with equivalent Fortuner models while the top Hilux is more expensive than midtier Prados....
So, I seriously doubt if Toyota would pitch Hilux as a cheaper alternative to the Fortuner ....
Only Toyota knows what strategy they are going to follow for the Hilux in India. But I feel the prices of the Australian market can't really be applied to ours. The Australia tax, Toyota tax all pushes the price up. Not to say, even the base Hilux in Australia has decent features whereas you can find Hilux base variants even without power windows/ORVMs, music system in Asian markets. While most global Hiluxes get 3 airbags with ABS/EBD and ESP as standard, the Australian market goes the whole hog. Side airbags, AEB, adaptive cruise control, lane assist, road sign assist. So these do increase the prices.

In most Asian markets, Hilux starts at a lower price point than even the Innova. Atleast the single cab versions. The dual cab versions with the 2.4l are priced at par with the Innova, while it is only the high riding 4x4 versions with the 2.8l and 4.0l V6 that are priced equivalent to the Fortuner.

Quote:
You hardly see a Fortuner in Australian roads - anyone who wants one pays a little bit more & gets a Prado - while Hilux has been one of the best sellers for years - it was the top-selling vehicle in Australia in 2020 (45,000) followed by Ford Ranger (41,000). Prado was #8 best seller at 18,000.
Well, if the Prado was sold in India at 50 lakhs, I guess half of the Fortuner sales will be gone. If Fortuner was sold at 23 lakhs, then the Innova would be relegated to taxi duties only.

And about Hilux being the top seller, well. You really can't point a finger at the F150 sales in USA or the Hilux sales in Australia. Only a few in India would be able to connect with that pickup culture.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post3483453 (Cars we wish manufacturers would launch in India)
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 12:21   #82
BHPian

I never thought pick up are for Indians especially as a lifestyle vehicle. Indians are generally image/perception conscious population. Except some respectable numbers in Punjab and bit less around Kerala. With Toyota being Toyota this is not going to be any thing close a realistic price bracket. This is going to be dud on arrival. Hilux is not like Tundra or Tacoma where some comfort features exists. Hilux is more crude. RAMs or F-150 are real lifestyle vehicle that gives a macho image and even paying 40 lakhs still not waste because of its impeccable tough look which is unbeatable by the soft off roaders like Fortuner or Endeavour. My 2 cents!
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 22:56   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I never thought pick up are for Indians especially as a lifestyle vehicle. Indians are generally image/perception conscious population. Except some respectable numbers in Punjab and bit less around Kerala. With Toyota being Toyota this is not going to be any thing close a realistic price bracket. This is going to be dud on arrival. Hilux is not like Tundra or Tacoma where some comfort features exists. Hilux is more crude. RAMs or F-150 are real lifestyle vehicle that gives a macho image and even paying 40 lakhs still not waste because of its impeccable tough look which is unbeatable by the soft off roaders like Fortuner or Endeavour. My 2 cents!
After seeing Taliban's Hilux's performance in Afghanistan, American special forces dumped the HUMVEES and switched to Hilux/Tacomas!

Toyota gave 100 free Hilux/Tacomas to US Special forces on just one condition!

Do not remove the TOYOTA from the tailgate!
Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 08:45   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Only Toyota knows what strategy they are going to follow for the Hilux in India. But I feel the prices of the Australian market can't really be applied to ours. The Australia tax, Toyota tax all pushes the price up. Not to say, even the base Hilux in Australia has decent features whereas you can find Hilux base variants even without power windows/ORVMs, music system in Asian markets. While most global Hiluxes get 3 airbags with ABS/EBD and ESP as standard, the Australian market goes the whole hog. Side airbags, AEB, adaptive cruise control, lane assist, road sign assist. So these do increase the prices.

---------

And about Hilux being the top seller, well. You really can't point a finger at the F150 sales in USA or the Hilux sales in Australia. Only a few in India would be able to connect with that pickup culture.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post3483453 (Cars we wish manufacturers would launch in India)
Agree with you that Australian models are fully loaded, so much so that the price difference between Yaris / Corolla / Camry is not that much - top model Yaris will be more expensive than base Camry etc. People buy the cars they want, not because they really want a Camry, but can only afford a Yaris.

No different to the overlap in prices between Mercedes A / B / C classes. A person buying an entry level C class will never understand the person who buys a much more expensive, tiny, but roaring A45AMG!

As I said, I posted the Australian prices for comparison. In India, Toyota sells itself as a premium brand and may very well do so for Hilux also.

Btw, the "Australia tax" price gouging is mainly by the big-three Germans & Italian supercars - the regular brands like Toyota, Hyundai etc. are well-priced.
The other Euros try to be premium, but hardly anyone buys them. VW sells lots of Golfs when they price them on par with Corollas - when they try to be premium, sales fall off.

here is also no "Toyota tax" or premium in Australia, unlike in India - Toyota's image in Australia is like Maruti's in India : very well-priced, value for money, solid, reliable, boring, unimaginatively designed, point A to point B, whitegoods on wheels that appeal to the maximum number of people (the small minority of petrolheads be damned!).

Toyota 4 wheel drives though have a huge reputation when it comes to surviving off-road (unlike say, Land Rover or Jeep) and so hold their second-hand values amazingly well. Especially the real bush-basher, the crude 70-series whose secondhand prices are laughably high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
"Image / perception conscious" is exactly the reason pickups are the top sellers in USA & Australia. The biggest sellers are the fully loaded big $ models with lots of chrome & bling and names like Wildtrak, Raptor etc!

Forget soft-roaders like RAV4 & CRV - even the most popular "proper" 4WD in Australia, the Toyota Prado, has an image as that of a family wagon.
Whereas, these shiny, bling bling 4x4 pickups parked on a suburban driveway tell the world that I can afford a $60-70k car, but since I am a tough, outdoorsy man who spends the weekends in the bush, I chose this over a C class or 3-series - even though 90% of them will never venture off the tarmac! Yes, image & perception!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th June 2021 at 09:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
LTAutoMad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 18:25   #85
BHPian

No idea regarding the confirmation of the Hilux plans for India. Is this news fueled by this video of a Toyota dealership- Toyota Gujarat Motors?

At the first glance I thought Hilux launch is so imminent, later after few days realised that it's a dealership in Pakistan!
Old 15th June 2021, 14:56   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Forget soft-roaders like RAV4 & CRV - even the most popular "proper" 4WD in Australia, the Toyota Prado, has an image as that of a family wagon.
Whereas, these shiny, bling bling 4x4 pickups parked on a suburban driveway tell the world that I can afford a $60-70k car, but since I am a tough, outdoorsy man who spends the weekends in the bush, I chose this over a C class or 3-series - even though 90% of them will never venture off the tarmac! Yes, image & perception!
Exactly, this is the perception about the pick up in the West, especially in NA. But in India, pick up is a pick up! :-) to carry stuff. You show this to your wife/family as your next choice of car for daily use and the majority straightaway will reject it. We are long way to go in India, to have a primary car or even as the secondary for that matter. Small percentage of well off families with a farmhouse might consider this, but that percentage is not that big to consider, that is my point actually. Worst part is that Toyota is never a reasonable player when it comes to price in India. If this is a fully imported or even CKD, still the pricing is going to be crazy.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:50   #87

Rumour mill has been spinning for quite some time. Can any Toyota insider in our forum confirm if the launch is planned around festive season (Sep-Oct 2021)?
Old 6th August 2021, 23:00   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Toyota to launch Hilux around Diwali 2021, can a trusted source confirm this? Pricing doesn’t seem trustable at all considering even the V-Cross’s price has got a substantial hike!

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-cc634931ff3a4e8e935713fa947f4154.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 6th August 2021 at 23:01.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 08:00   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Rumour: Toyota to launch Hilux around Diwali 2021, can a trusted source confirm this? Pricing doesn’t seem trustable at all considering even the V-Cross’s price has got a substantial hike!
The 15 lakhs base price is entirely plausible, but the 18 lakhs for top end??

Definitely not trustable. Unless Toyota is bringing just the commercial variants with the 2.4l diesel. No 2.8l or 4x4 option.

Would be interesting to see what would be TKM's approach.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 11:10   #90
Senior - BHPian

This is possible only if they sell the 2.4 litre single cab version with manual transmission. If they bring the 2.4 litre double cab auto version for this price, Thar's backlog of orders will probably become half in a day. Having seen how Toyota operates in India, Hilux if launched will be in the same range as the Innova. Even that is optimizitic thinking.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed