Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2022, 21:27   #256

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Toyota Hilux front end revealed in new teaser.

Attachment 2259447
Saw the same number plate at the showroom while servicing our vehicle on January 6, 2022.

Many posts have come about pricing/length/options/market viability - it's a free market. The ones who can afford it or suits their kind of work or while should buy this vehicle. Prices for Toyota products only go up.

I have a D-Max space cab 134 bhp pick-up truck too - cheapest and best buy till date at Rs. 7.5 lakh OTR. Booked a carnival and V-Cross but cancelled them as the vehicle has to fit a few bicycles and golf bags.

I have waited for this vehicle for 23 years. In the mean time, we have bought the Qualis, Innova, Fortuner, Corolla, Crysta and Fortuner again.

This should be ideally priced within Rs. 24-32 lakh (ex-showroom). Already waiting in line, March onwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-hilux.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 15th January 2022 at 19:21. Reason: Punctuation, missing words
markstewart is offline   (11) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 14th January 2022, 23:20   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Performance for a pickup is decently quick I must say

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-21874fe53f684855ab4488123d234ad8.jpeg

CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 04:08   #258
BHPian

I have used the Hilux abroad since . It is utilitarian at best. Stiff suspension, solid built work horse(that refuses to die). While the pickup is good, this truck is bouncy at triple digit speeds(seating 4-5 without cargo) . Rear seats do not incline and were mostly uncomfortable. Didn't find anything exciting or enjoyable in driving or being driven around in this thing.
I never get, "the excitement" and toyotas chutzpah for price of 20+ Lacs. The price tag doesn't suite a commercial purpose. Those looking for life style vehicle may opt for it(since Isuzu is non committal) . However, looks of this model is much better than the old models. Hope Toyota tunes the suspension for comfort.
spgv is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 08:41   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota's 'A RICHER LIFE' Series!

volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 09:14   #260
BHPian

For most people and most applications, an Innova will be FAR more comfortable, both in terms of how it rides (coil vs leaf springs), and with reclining middle row seats, third row, and covered luggage space. The Hilux is bouncy as all hell and has terrible body roll. It's a basic utilitarian vehicle in every market it is sold in, and in the Indian context spending 40 lakhs plus on something like that seems absurd, when you can easily get far nicer (to drive in) cars for way cheaper, like the Innova, or Seltos or Creta or the Jeep Compass. But I can see why people are excited for the launch and why some may need to get one to carry their dirt bikes or something like that on the flatbed, and for those purposes it's a welcome addition to the Indian market.
karanddd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 17:19   #261
BHPian

But many markets this is priced nearly 1/2 the price of fortuner and this is something I feel Toyota is not doing justice.. Since Crysta and fortuner is already here and given that lot of common parts they should have been v aggressive pricing.. Anything above 30L.will not fly.
Old 15th January 2022, 18:27   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
But many markets this is priced nearly 1/2 the price of fortuner and this is something I feel Toyota is not doing justice.. Since Crysta and fortuner is already here and given that lot of common parts they should have been v aggressive pricing.. Anything above 30L.will not fly.
Just curious, which market is it priced at half the price of Fortuner ? That may be the single cab version with 2.4 litre and manual. Double cab with 2.8 litre and automatic is placed about 80 percent price of Fortuner in most markets.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 20:06   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Just curious, which market is it priced at half the price of Fortuner ?.
TBH, This is the cheapest Hilux I could find, from New Zealand which costs about 29290 NZD that converts into Rs. 1481889. Please note that this only includes the chassis and the tray you see behind is an optional extra which you can buy for about two lakhs more.

Its powered by a 2.7 liter engine with 122kW of power and 245Nm of torque. While its a bare bone car its still got Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Along with pre-collision safety system with emergency braking, radar cruise control and lane departure alert.

Truly this is a workman's Hilux.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-urban_single_cab_chassis4wd1920x614.jpg

Last edited by Black_Star : 15th January 2022 at 20:10.
Black_Star is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 20:31   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Teaser again!

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 21:41   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Teaser again!
Attachment 2260583
Man, what unrelated teasers , wrong car for the wrong purpose!!

Who in their like minds will buy a Hilux to go for Coffee runs, business lunches and Sunday brunches. They need to put teasers with forests and a mud/slush covered Hilux, that’s the target market.

Toyota India you already have the Innova Crysta and Fortuner for those purposes, let the Hilux be differentiated from them on this basis!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 22:10   #266
Senior - BHPian

Atleast they're honest about who their target buyers are. Bet these things will be owned by rich folks with farm houses in Punjab Haryana and UP and some off-road enthusiasts down south in Coorg or TN.

Theres not a big enough customer base for offroad use only. See how many Thars are doing coffee runs as opposed to adventure.
Nithesh_M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 23:16   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Man, what unrelated teasers , wrong car for the wrong purpose!!

Who in their like minds will buy a Hilux to go for Coffee runs, business lunches and Sunday brunches. They need to put teasers with forests and a mud/slush covered Hilux, that’s the target market.

Toyota India you already have the Innova Crysta and Fortuner for those purposes, let the Hilux be differentiated from them on this basis!
I think they have hit a nail with the ad. This is indeed their target market/customer base. If you look at it from utility perspective, this is down right the antithesis of what it is meant to be - a VFM ADV car with some creature comforts. Even the VCross D-MAX is not a VFM offering from Isuzu but now it will appear VFM in front of the Hilux.

For real utility/purpose - there are much better options in the market and Toyota knows this.

On the other end, people with disposable income will pick this as the next fad. Aamuricaaa life style you see.
sunilch is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 09:54   #268
BHPian

I hope, after Hilux launch, Isuzu brings latest model of V-cross in India.
Old 16th January 2022, 12:32   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Atleast they're honest about who their target buyers are. Bet these things will be owned by rich folks with farm houses in Punjab Haryana and UP and some off-road enthusiasts down south in Coorg or TN.

Theres not a big enough customer base for offroad use only. See how many Thars are doing coffee runs as opposed to adventure.
i wouldnt go to that extent mate. But yeah, from a product positioning stand point this is interesting.
l think Toyota knows that in India this offering is a little misplaced.
Toyota with its history of pricing in India cannot price it at the levels that would encourage the masses who really have use for the truck.
Also for all its much vaunted capabilities, the Hilux aint the most practical vehicle for the small group of Off road enthusiasts. (No Off road enthusiast myself, but I have driven the Hilux extensively overseas)
What it leaves them with is what a lot of people might call the Bling and show off market with money to spare. Pimp the thing up, be in your face, revel while grabbing the eyeballs and live with what ever limitations the vehicle might have. Dare i say, the truck is a looker for sure. Very apt for that purpose if you have the money to spare. Cant blame them for trying, can we ? especially when the life style pick up market is so under represented in India

Also with this launch, Isuzu, if they play it smart, can look at better numbers. As one of my teachers long back in B-school used to say, newer entrants in a market are always good 'cause they expand the overall market size. The Toyota Hilux, is a brand for sure and it will sell in numbers sufficiant enough to create some buzz in the lifestyle pick up segment. With all due respect, besides the Toyota Hilux, there is only the V-cross catering to that crowd in India. So waiting to see Isuzus' reaction and assuming that they are still committed to success in India.

Last edited by nairanupg : 16th January 2022 at 12:41.
nairanupg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 12:33   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Next teaser to "A Richer Life"

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  59.4 KB
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed