Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:34   #376
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

A little birdie tells me the price to be INR 35L for the Hilux High!
That is a killer, both in terms of the good side and the bad.
Surely, as usual, Toyota is targeting a specific segment exerting the might of its badge to push up the standards. So it will feel less painful on the pocket to own the Isuzus et al.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:37   #377
BHPian

One of the most hot price reveals of 2022 is going to be this!!! There will be a further debate on shelling out more word ammunition / roasting of Toyota India after pricing with Toyota premium.

Does anyone feel Toyota might shock all with sensible pricing??

Toyota is also infected with the launch first pricing later strategy; a new normal in Indian auto industry.

Now since we have two Lifestyle vehicles from Isuzu & Toyota (upcoming Hilux); it will be very interesting to see if the Tata and Mahindra also take a shot in this segment again after Tata Mobile & Scorpio Getaway (a half hearted attempt from Mahindra in pickup truck segment) as Tata has Harrier & Safari selling well along with Mahindra XUV700 already setting market on fire.

Lets wait and watch.

Cheers.
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:37   #378
BHPian

Rear brakes are drums!!! Really? Deal breaker for me. Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-f10adb611ff94dd4af2caf12d2b2c6e3.jpeg
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:59   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by das.sui View Post
I am quite intrigued to know how do manufacturers come up with the name for colours,.... White Pearl Crystal Shine if spoken fast and continous can be a good tongue twister.
Not sure of how the manufacturers come up with such names, but 'White Pearl' or 'Pearl White' has been the most in-demand colour on Toyota vehicles for many decades, in India as well as the GCC countries. Pearl White Land Cruisers used to be a status symbol in my part of the country, and Innovas and Fortuners in the same colour command better resale values too.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 13:02   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Rear brakes are drums!!! Really? Deal breaker for me.
Most pick-ups/utes still use drum brakes at the rear.

As long as the braking is good, there is no need to worry!

Can check the braking test in both dry and wet conditions here:
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 13:26   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
A little birdie tells me the price to be INR 35L for the Hilux High!
That is a killer, both in terms of the good side and the bad.
Surely, as usual, Toyota is targeting a specific segment exerting the might of its badge to push up the standards. So it will feel less painful on the pocket to own the Isuzus et al.

35 lakhs ex showroom ? For the manual or automatic ?

Killer (Good Side), Naah i do not think so..not by one bit. If this, they are gonna price at that range, Ladies & Gentlemen please be prepared for price hikes across the Crysta and Fortuner range.
As one of our friends pointed out, there is no Poor Man's Toyota in India now and i dont see it coming in the immediate future.
It sort of reinforces my belief that the Japanese are fleecing the Indian Car buyers big time.
nairanupg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 14:14   #382
BHPian

Hi, asking this again. Hope someone who knows replies:

Question:
I suppose this vehicle will have a life of 10 years in Delhi and 15 years elsewhere, due to current rules about diesel engines. Is that correct? Is there a work around if you want to keep it forever?
Old 22nd January 2022, 15:17   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
35 lakhs ex showroom ? For the manual or automatic ?
From what I learn, it is the High (AT) at INR 35L.
Old 22nd January 2022, 15:23   #384
BHPian

Rear drum brakes and leaf springs at 35 lakhs is not a great deal even though this would be built like a tank. But Toyota is Toyota. A slow and big elephant. 2nd hand 2nd gen Fortuner at around 28 lakhs is a great deal, now I feel.

Thanks Toyota.

Last edited by sgmuser : 22nd January 2022 at 15:24. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 18:48   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Hi, asking this again. Hope someone who knows replies:

Question:
I suppose this vehicle will have a life of 10 years in Delhi and 15 years elsewhere, due to current rules about diesel engines. Is that correct? Is there a work around if you want to keep it forever?
No work around as of now. Even vehicles registered in other states will be impounded if found older (that is my understanding). Electrification would be a way out but 10 years is too short a life for any decently maintained vehicle (even more ridiculous for legendary Toyotas) to justify drivetrain replacement.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 19:15   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
No work around as of now. Even vehicles registered in other states will be impounded if found older (that is my understanding). Electrification would be a way out but 10 years is too short a life for any decently maintained vehicle (even more ridiculous for legendary Toyotas) to justify drivetrain replacement.
A deal breaker of the sorts. They should give a petrol option. This vehicle isn’t going to be bought by high mileage taxi market.
Old 22nd January 2022, 22:22   #387
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

If this is going to be priced at 35lakh, this will suddenly make the Isuzu look VFM to a lot of people. Who knows, it may give a new lease of life to the d/v max akin to the honda jazz vs i20 in 2008-9.
Old 23rd January 2022, 08:22   #388
BHPian

Sharing this for future Hilux owners. This is a fantastic series of videos from Ronny Dahl and his Hilux. Cheers!

Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 23:00   #389
Senior - BHPian

Dear Fellow Team-Bhp members,

I like the discussion going on for the Hilux and the posts by the members in the forum. I am glad that OEMs do listen to the "talk" on the T-Bhp!

Indian Automobile buyer/consumer is the most selective and most stingy when it comes to buying a new/used vehicle. "Kitna Deti Hai?"

India arrived LATE at automobile stage compared even to south east Asian countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Philippine, Indonesia etc. The reason was closed India economy and home grown brands lile HM, M&M, TATA, Padmini/Fiat etc. laughing all the way to the Bank!

Thailand is the country with most Double Cabin Pickups as the family vehicle.

India still gets step-motherly treatment compared to the above mentioned Asean countries, when it comes to "Lifestyle Vehicles" (read Double Cabin pickups), because India lacks the numbers despite being 130 Crores.

"Lifestyle Vehicles" are still is a distance dream for most Indians as the desire for a family car is the first vehicle and probably the only vehicle for most Indian families.

The likes of Scorpio Getaway, Bolero Camper, Tata Xenon tried to stir the market and awake the consumer did not quite work!

Mahindra Scorpio double cab pickups sells in good numbers in Africa and Down Under. I see quite a few in Middle East too! But how many have been bought in India?

Though I am glad that Mahindra launched Bolero Camper/Pikup way ahead before Jeep could think about Gladiator.

But the real "Lifestyle Vehicle" to open up the market was not Isuzu with its D-Max, but Mahindra THAR!

Now bringing the topic back to Hilux as a "Lifestyle Vehicle" is beyond the reach of many of us and the mindset of public as well as the Indian/State governments of it being classified as a Commercial Vehicle deters most of us along with its high cost price.

Even in Dubai, my Indian friends use to ask me why a Hilux and not a Ford/RAM/Chevy? As fellow Indians, It impacted their social status that I had a Hilux! I always valet parked my Hilux, even at Atlantis! But the Indian mindset never goes away when they saw me driving a Hilux as my family vehicle! But Arabs loved it and even offered to buy it when i was in the dunes. It was a special order full option AT, with three months waiting for this special order.

Anyway, as the pick up was born out of a necessity vehicle to connect country side/farms with suburbs/city, it become a vehicle of choice for most. But now in current times it is a "Lifestyle Vehicle". For us Indians, it is too expensive a vehicle for just farm work.

The changing of the tag is similar to what few auto companies did and started calling their vehicles as SUVs when they wanted to market non 4x4/4WD vehicles!

I had Hilux and LC70 series in my days in africa (1995-97), and even in Dubai it had been "Go anywhere" vehicle for me.

Hilux beats the competition with quite a distance and would love to see it sell in good numbers in India! BUT it won't!

I believe, It will take few more years to before Indians start accepting Double Cabin Pickups as a vehicle of their choice.

Toyota should seriously think about launching a bare bones Hilux with a reduced price. Cosmetics and gadgetry are just add ons for those seeking LUXURY and not performance.

My best wishes to those who desire it and those who own it.....Its like no other.

Along with LC70, it is the only vehicle that outlives its owner!

Last edited by Aditya : 30th January 2022 at 22:32. Reason: Typo
Parm is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 09:29   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
A deal breaker of the sorts. They should give a petrol option. This vehicle isn’t going to be bought by high mileage taxi market.
Toyota does not have relevant petrol engines for the Hilux. The current 2.7 liter petrol that they provide in the Fortuner does not have enough grunt to take on heavy duty assignments. It is at best a decent tourer- i own one and can vouch for its characteristics.

The 4.0 liter V6 petrol meanwhile is awesome but imagine the cost, and of course fuel efficiency if it is offered. Plus product positioning, given that Fortuner does not get that. Usage of Hilux is not going to be decided by high or low mileage, rather, engine capability for the role it is designed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
If this is going to be priced at 35lakh, this will suddenly make the Isuzu look VFM to a lot of people. Who knows, it may give a new lease of life to the d/v max akin to the honda jazz vs i20 in 2008-9.
The Jazz-i20 analogy may not hold true for Hilux. In the i20's case, there was a large volume of upwardly mobile customers waiting and willing to upgrade from smaller hatchbacks to premium ones. Pricing, features and of course the large boot (almost equivalent to compact sedans) played a big role there.

Of course there is a small group of hardcore Fortuner owners who would want to own a Hilux. But largely speaking, in the case of premium pick up trucks, there is no ready made market waiting to be tapped in India. The market has to be created and a highly priced product rarely creates a market. That is what the Thar was able to do, and is now the adventure lifestyle vehicle of choice raking in volumes too and doing yeoman's service to the Mahindra brand. The target segment for Hilux is this one- but how does it attract the Thar customer at 3X the price?

Global comparisons will tell you that the D-Max is quite close to performance to the Hilux, yet it could not even create a ripple. Maybe due to pricing, older model, and weaker brand as compared to Toyota. But the fact remains that the 40 lakh lifestyle adventure seeker market is as small as it gets in India, and the Toyota will not expect the Hilux to bring in volumes, so will price accordingly too (read as high)

Btw here is a curve ball- if the Hilux pricing gets close to the Jeep Wrangler which has far higher capability and poser value at 53 lakhs, what will people opt for? And just how many opt for Wranglers anyway

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 25th January 2022 at 09:57.
achyutaghosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed