Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 17:33   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Got caught at Ashram (entering from ring road to Mathura road). I had 3M 70% VLT all round except front. They tore the film just enough so that it looks bad and we have to get it off. Paid Rs100 fine and drove off.

Now planning to get proper window shades - something that doesn't block ORVMs. There - who purpose of rule already getting defeated. It will if implemented in a nonsensical manner.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 17:48   #1607
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
...Any news from Hyderabad anyone? No real updates from Hyd happening here, not cool! Literally!
Hyderabad Traffic Police is busy with more important stuff at the moment - crack down against drunken driving, setting up 'free' left lanes, etc.
lucifer1881 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 17:52   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So you got fined for the sunfilm on your Endy or for the OEM tinted glass?
OK, apologies for the confusing reply earlier... for using the work "tint" loosely.

I got fined for having "black tinted film" on my Endy which resulted in the overall reading on the LUX meter coming to 21%. The OEM "tinted glass" shouldn't be a problem, it's very, very light.

I am off for a vacation starting tomorrow, I really hope this thing settles down by the time I am back. Would hate to bake in the Pune sun...
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 18:09   #1609
BHPian

Fellow BHP-ians in Bangalore,

Has any one been stopped by the cops so far for having sun films? Recall one post of a car getting stopped near Sarjapur road and asking the driver to remove films by the 19th. Also my wife mentioned cops below Marathahalli bridge asking car drivers to remove films by the 19th but no fines so far.

I commute thru ORR - Koramangala - Intermediate Ring Road - Indira Nagar in the peak hour traffic everyday and have not seen cops on this mission en route so far. My new Sunny has 70% VLT 3M films which were installed 3 months back and so will be an extremely painful decision to peel them off.. In all likelihood, will ground the Sunny for some time and use my 8 year old Santro after removing the films there (Santro has 50% VLT films)

Also, I am trying to figure out how cops can check cars for films in peak hour traffic when the roads are already choc-a-block across Bangalore between 830 and 10AM.. If they resort to stopping cars and checking films, it will only worsen the traffic scene... I would assume most of these drives will happen after peak hours or on the ring roads / airport road where there is enough room to stop vehicles or over the weekends.

Anyways, the next few days will tell what the scene is going to look like ! Info on where the checks are happening would be welcome!
Old 15th May 2012, 18:24   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand
Fellow BHP-ians in Bangalore,
I did notice chexks on Mekhri circle route via Bellary road and near the Mekhri golf course opposite Lalit ashok. They had stopped a swift with dark tints and probably asked them to remove it. As they werent challaning the drivers as much as i could see while waiting at the signal.

They can catch even in peak hours as I got fined for seat belts around 1130 am. The road was very busy that day but they stood there between two signals and caught the fellows as one signal turned green and the next one red. They would walk around when the traffic was stopped and see all the vehicles and then catch them at the next signal.

So i dont think they will stop during peak hours. And they are standing on the divider also in case someone takes the speeding lane and tries to drive off.
So on may 20th many people are surely going to be fined.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 21:29   #1611
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE : Drove today evening from dwarka to cp, via dhaula kuan and then from cp to india gate, then to lodhi colony, and then back to dwarka, again no cop activity on whole route regarding sun films, good for me as i am still continuing with them

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 15th May 2012 at 21:31.
Old 15th May 2012, 21:43   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Hyderabad Traffic Police is busy with more important stuff at the moment - crack down against drunken driving, setting up 'free' left lanes, etc.
No News from Hyderabad. In Hyderabad, police is still concentrating on bikes, in addition to crack down against drunken driving.

You 'free' left lanes is hilarious. Nobody in hyderabad goes in left lanes as people are afraid of police catching them
Old 15th May 2012, 21:47   #1613
BHPian

Was stopped at the Sector 9 Dwarka red light at around 6:15 pm today (peak office hours). The police guy removed the driver side tint and told me to remove the others on the spot. Told him I would go home and get it done. Paid a Rs 100 fine ,went home and promptly removed the tints.
No regrets. Had 20% VLT on the sides and the rear which I got for sub 1.5k a year back. Had a good run
Bye Bye privacy and effective Air Conditioning.
Old 15th May 2012, 21:58   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

2. In the United States, the federal law states, no tinting of the windows other than by the manufacturer.
Various states have their own laws further which sometimes arent homologated.
I believe Texas allows tints on all windows, I had legally permitted tints installed on my car.. all four windows. I believe they are considerate for the terrain and the weather in Texas to allow tints. Best part is, there are no laws for the rear passenger windows maximum tint. But most states in the US don't allow tinting on the front windows and the front and rear windscreens. Considering that India has equally harsh summers, similar rules should be applied.
Texas Department of Public Safety - Tinting laws
Old 15th May 2012, 23:02   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil

I believe Texas allows tints on all windows, I had legally permitted tints installed on my car.. all four windows. I believe they are considerate for the terrain and the weather in Texas to allow tints. Best part is, there are no laws for the rear passenger windows maximum tint. But most states in the US don't allow tinting on the front windows and the front and rear windscreens. Considering that India has equally harsh summers, similar rules should be applied.
Texas Department of Public Safety - Tinting laws
What i was trying to put across by my post is that unlike what many were saying sun films are banned everyhwhere in the world, but in reality it isnt so. Other countries have framed laws that ensure law abiding citizens are able to lead a comfortable life and criminals are punished.
Someone from australia also said earlier in the thread that people there try of ways to abide by the law whereas in India people try of ways to break the law. But even then the blanket ban on sunfilms is not justified. As even the good people are suffering.

The entire world has legal restrictions on sun films but they havent banned it due to rise in crimes or their incompetence to prevent it.

Outside everything tends to work in your favour if you are on the right side of the law. But here even by abiding the law you are many a times made to undergo unnecessary harassment. And the law keepers tend to jump on you at every opportunity. The entire system is wrong and someone needs to heal this disease.

On another note i was reading how in Dubai when restrictions were put on Sun films, the police and all government officers got it removed first to set an example to the public. But as many comments have come in from all over India we are yet to see such efforts to lead by example.

Regards
Old 15th May 2012, 23:30   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
UPDATE : Drove today evening from dwarka to cp, via dhaula kuan and then from cp to india gate, then to lodhi colony, and then back to dwarka, again no cop activity on whole route regarding sun films, good for me as i am still continuing with them

Cheers
Sameer
Saw tints being ripped off in Gk2 today, around 1-130pm. Was being done by normal cops who stand there to catch red-light jumpers. Think there were about 3-4 cars they had stopped.
anantnehru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 07:13   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I'm not sure if the highest court of this country would pass a judgement just to please a particular segment of people/industry.

Well, the whole thing was framed as a person/individual filing the PIL in the interest of the "national security". Who knows, this person might have been promoted by the manufacturers/distributers themselves after a careful plan.

The verdict came right before the court holidays, which means there has to be about one month gap during which no appeals may be filed, which means people have no other option but to remove the sunfilms!

The court holidays gives the companies a natural holidays for not filing a petition or delay in the process.
Old 16th May 2012, 07:27   #1618
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I would prefer to remain discreet rather than appear as a sitting duck. If greater transparency was the main idea, lets promote the cause of convertibles. That way, a person being attacked can jump out the car at any time, and also cops can continue to remain complacent about the people within the car. As for the rest of the society, since we cannot correct them anyway, let them continue to do what they enjoy doing.
Well, promoting convertibles for transparency, or opaque glass films for privacy – the discussion will go on and on, depending on one’s personal preference.
I am not against sun-films, and my car also has it on the windows. But that’s for heat rejection, with almost zero darkness.

I will be happy if the rule is more clearly laid out with minimum loopholes for state-wise interpretation, and more importantly – it stay on. Otherwise, it will end up as an added business opportunity for the sun-film brands.

On a side note, instead of going behind sun-films, this PIL guy should have gone with a better one, to make minimum safety features standard across all cars. That would have saved more Aam Aadmis!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 07:51   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Well, the whole thing was framed as a person/individual filing the PIL in the interest of the "national security". Who knows, this person might have been promoted by the manufacturers/distributers themselves after a careful plan.

The verdict came right before the court holidays, which means there has to be about one month gap during which no appeals may be filed, which means people have no other option but to remove the sunfilms!

The court holidays gives the companies a natural holidays for not filing a petition or delay in the process.
May appear that way, but is still an assumption. There is no mention of your assumption in the media, who usually are surprisingly good at sniffing out such, especially the opposition parties. Apart from the one's that this is being enforced on, you, me and other users of the road, I don't see any one else protesting.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:56   #1620
BHPian

Can anyone be kind enough to educate/interpret the judgement to the authorities that it is applicable to "ALL" motor vehicles, including buses, volvos, tempr travellers etc. Reading TOI and information from DCP doesn't instill confidence that they have interpreted it correct.

Can the correct interpretation be posted on Facebook page of BTP or Commissioner ? Wondering !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks