Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 09:05   #1621
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Can the correct interpretation be posted on Facebook page of BTP or Commissioner ? Wondering !
Not sure if that will help. I already posted this on BTP wall

Quote:
Please answer these questions -
1. What are the plans for removal of films from Police Vehicles, Buses and other Public Vehicles?
2. What are the arrangements for disposing off the peeled sunfilms? I am sure you know it is non-biodegradable.
Please note that I am a law abiding citizen and have removed the sun films on my car, the day the ruling came into force.
It is 3 days now and so far, only stony silence.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 09:07   #1622
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Thats a good one. I was thinking the same this morning en route office.

I was observing many horrible little indicabs, sumos, travellers, autorickshaws, big tipper lorries, public buses and inter state private buses; all of which appear to have every available inch of glass surfaces emblazoned with all sorts of matter, including people's names, foolish stickers saying idiotic things like "No Fear", pictures of gods, goddesses,film personalities and so on and so forth.

What about the big VOLVO buses which carry all sorts of advertising on their side windows?

If the intent to pull the films off the windows is to peer into the vehicles, then equally, all the matter on these other vehicles as described above, effectively prevents anything inside being visible.

There does not appear to be any clarity on this so with a bit of public outcry, I am hoping that there is a roll back of this idiotic, draconian legislation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Can anyone be kind enough to educate/interpret the judgement to the authorities that it is applicable to "ALL" motor vehicles, including buses, volvos, tempr travellers etc. Reading TOI and information from DCP doesn't instill confidence that they have interpreted it correct.

Can the correct interpretation be posted on Facebook page of BTP or Commissioner ? Wondering !
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 09:41   #1623
mgh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
I got my sunfilm removed over the weekend. I had dark tints from day one. The car suddenly feels more spacious with the tints off and I feel more relaxed now driving in the evening/night due to increase in visibility. Hate the increased and direct heat/sun though.
Agree. Removed my sunfilm two days ago. Visibility at night has improved drastically.

Turned defroster on for some time before removing rear film, which came off easily as a result
Did driver's side after doing the other side first. Withe developed expertise, the driver's side film came of with hardly any residual gum left. The other side, there is gum left, which i need to remove.
mgh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 10:19   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Well, I have seen some Ambassadors with window curtains, forget sun films! What about them?
Old 16th May 2012, 10:23   #1625
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Does this great rule apply to the so called VIP's and VVIP's too?
Will Madam S- ji drive about in a car without tints?
And will Uncle Y or Madam J closer home?

If they are also under this rule, then I will gladly comply - but if not, I would certainly protest!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th May 2012 at 10:27.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:37   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please read section 24 of the SC ruling
Quote:
24. Another issue that has been raised in the present Writ Petition is that certain VIPs/VVIPs are using black films on their vehicles for security reasons. Even this practice is not supported by law, as no notification by the competent authority has been brought to our notice, giving exemption to such vehicles from the operation of Rule 100 or any of its provisions. Be that as it may, we do not wish to enter upon the arena of the security and safety measures when the police department and Home Ministry consider such exemption appropriate. The cases of the persons who have been provided with Z and Z+ security category may be considered by a Committee consisting of the Director General of Police/Commissioner of Police of the concerned State and the Home Secretary of that State/Centre. It will be for that Committee to examine such cases for grant of exemption in accordance with law and upon due application of mind.
These certificates should be provided only in relation to official cars of VIPs/VVIPs, depending upon the category of security that such person has been awarded by the competent authority. The appropriate government is free to make any regulations that it may consider appropriate in this regard.
Quote:
If they are also under this rule, then I will gladly comply - but if not, I would certainly protest!
As a professor in my college used to say - "First obey the command. Then make your demand"

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 16th May 2012 at 10:39.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:40   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. I think the order empowers the Police to grant exemption to VIP's (read every two bit babu, forget VVIP's), who are clearly more equal than others!
Old 16th May 2012, 10:46   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the big VOLVO buses which carry all sorts of advertising on their side windows?
Hello Shankar,

I share you thoughts. Why is this drive against Dark Sunfilms carried out against Pricete Cars only?

There are hundreds of Volvo & City A/c Buses which have advertisements on entire exterior body & the visibility inside the Bus is almost zero. Same goes for Private Taxis & Mini Buses most of which have almost Black Sunfilms. Why are they not caught & part of their Sunfilm or advertisement removed?

Or it seems this drive against Sunfilms is only applicable to Private Car owners would would honestly pay the fine & get the Sunfilm removed & re-apply them after couple of months. (So that everyone is happy - Traffic Police & Sunfilm Manufacturers).

Thanks,
Old 16th May 2012, 11:08   #1629
BHPian

Did not see this posted so here it is from todays TOI, Bangalore.

Article Window
Old 16th May 2012, 11:15   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Ugh. Now i will not be able to keep my laptop at the backseat. Don't want to motivate thugs from getting greedy. I will have to be a little less lazy and put it in the boot.

And dammit! Now i will have to keep my car's interiors also clean. No more just chucking things to the back seat

But on a serious note, in my opinion, this ruling is just one step short of asking women not to wear revealing or tight clothes.I dont know how absence of sunfilms will prevent crime.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:22   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Did not see this posted so here it is from todays TOI, Bangalore.

Article Window
Again this article indicates "All Motor Vehicles". I am going to carry the print of the ruling with me. In case I see a car guy stopped and not a passign by Volvo then I would like to show this document to them. There are high chances that I will face the brunt for showing them the lawand may get instead fined for obstructing police action?
Old 16th May 2012, 11:43   #1632
BHPian

Till now I dont see anything on this happening in Pune. Has anyone came across police stopping in Pune for tints?
Old 16th May 2012, 11:48   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Fellow BHP-ians in Bangalore, .......
Has any one been stopped by the cops so far for having sun films?Info on where the checks are happening would be welcome!
I commute from HSR layout to E-City ( short distance I know) but I have not seen anyone being stopped. I think the police are waiting with bated breath for 19th May to end so they can start doing what they are good at - fleecing the middle class.
I have not got my tints removed. I am waiting for the 19th hoping that somewhere, someone will approach the SC and put a hold on that order which does not make sense to me at all. I mean, (it has been mentioned so many times but I need to repeat it) if they want to remove or discourage using dark and very dark window tints, say so and enforce that! not blame something as ridiculous as many crimes happen in dark tinted cars - it is so lame its like making a mockery of the most powerful court in the country!
Old 16th May 2012, 12:00   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I commute from HSR layout to E-City ( short distance I know) but I have not seen anyone being stopped. I think the police are waiting with bated breath for 19th May to end so they can start doing what they are good at - fleecing the middle class.
I have not got my tints removed. I am waiting for the 19th hoping that somewhere, someone will approach the SC and put a hold on that order which does not make sense to me at all. I mean, (it has been mentioned so many times but I need to repeat it) if they want to remove or discourage using dark and very dark window tints, say so and enforce that! not blame something as ridiculous as many crimes happen in dark tinted cars - it is so lame its like making a mockery of the most powerful court in the country!
Agree with you - its an extremely ridiculous order.. Shows how skewed the priorities of the highest court of the country is !!!

Instead of passing judgements on long pending issues of national importance, the court has bowed to the whims and fancies of a brainless idiot who has filed the PIL.... Likewise, on a different note, passing judgements enforcing digitization of cable TV signals in metros seems to be SC's priority before going on leave rather than addressing important issues

I dont see any of the cabs removing the tints - likewise with the buses and maxicabs.. As usual, only the common man who has paid all taxes (TDS on salary + road tax) will stand to lose....

I am going to wait and watch for some time before removing the tints - will ground the new car with expensive 3M films and use the older one for a while.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:06   #1635
BHPian

I was going through the Supreme court Judgement and found one thing which was peculiar it is mentioned "black film". This made me wonder that the tint(which has been removed) on my city was sort of green.
So is this ruling also applicable to people who have tint on any other color than black ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks