Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 11:36   #151
BHPian

re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible limit

I just went in for a CR-70, 68% from 3M on the windshield. I don't have any dark tints on the other glasses. For a long time, I haven't heard of anyone being fined for dark tints, but that maybe just me.
Old 12th March 2012, 13:37   #152
Team-BHP Support

re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible limit

I drove my Scorp in Chennai sometime late last year, and didnt get pulled up by any cops. As the others have mentioned, its just a rule which came about, and then fizzled out.
Old 12th March 2012, 13:40   #153
Senior - BHPian

All the places known for being hot are having the tints banned - is the govt getting some sadistic pleasure in that ?
Old 12th March 2012, 20:47   #154
Senior - BHPian

Now a days there is special drive by Delhi-NCR police against tints. I was stopped by police while en route to Faridabad but as my car's tint is within limits they allowed me to go. They were also having some instrument for measuring the tint's percentage. They were removing tints with blades and giving challans to many car owners.

Living without tints in NCR is impossible in summer days but people should avoid below 30% tints.

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th March 2012 at 20:48.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:00   #155
Senior - BHPian

Delhi guys,

Would a 37% VLT be OK for sides and rear (with 70% for front ?)
Old 27th April 2012, 11:36   #156
BHPian

Ban on tinted films in vehicles

Apparently Supreme Court just now delivered a verdict banning use of tinted films on motor vehicles.
However there is some confusion regarding whether its a complete ban as this article claims. But there are headlines in other websites which claim: SC bans tinted glasses in vehicles 'beyond a limit'.
Anyone has more info on this.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:53   #157
Team-BHP Support

From rediff live updates Live! HC: Police help if ND Tiwari refuses blood sample - Rediff.com India News

Quote:
SC bans tinted glasses in vehicles 'beyond a limit':
The Supreme Court asks state governments to frame guidelines for the use of tinted glasses for security purposes. Delivering the verdict, the apex court banned the use of tinted glasses in vehicles beyond a permissible limit under the Motor Vehicles Act.
The Supreme Court on Monday had reserved its verdict on a PIL seeking complete ban on the use of dark films on car windows, including the vehicles used by VVIPs, alleging that many crimes in cities were committed by people using such cars with tinted car windows.
A bench of Chief Justice S H Kapadia and Justices A K Patnaik and Swatanter Kumar asked petitioner Avishek Goenka whether he had any statistics relating to the percentage of crimes committed by using cars with tinted windows.
Old 27th April 2012, 14:02   #158
BANNED

Let them get a few White Marias (Amby's) with 10% transmission in the glasses. We all know who rides these.
Old 27th April 2012, 14:05   #159
Team-BHP Support

SC has not banned tints, it has just banned on tints beyond permissible limit.
I do not think anything changes, unless Delhi police simply "interprets" this in a way which facilitates revenue generation
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 14:45   #160
Senior - BHPian

had just got 20 VLT films installed in my new car... Will have to get them changed.
Old 27th April 2012, 15:10   #161
Senior - BHPian

I am using 35% tints (sides only, front 100% clear) in all my cars.

There is not much difference between 35% and 50% tints so cops must have some meter by which they can prove whether the tints are beyond permissible limits.

Just make sure that you are not using tints below 35% tints like 20% and so on.

Last edited by bluevolt : 27th April 2012 at 15:17.
Old 27th April 2012, 15:55   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
SC has not banned tints, it has just banned on tints beyond permissible limit.
I do not think anything changes, unless Delhi police simply "interprets" this in a way which facilitates revenue generation
One source says tints have been banned totally, which IMO may not be accurate.
Rediff and other sources say SC has asked state governments to frame guidelines for the use of tints. So will it now be left to the whims and fancies of individual state governments?
Banning tints beyond permissible limits is like . They are illegal to begin with if they are above limits, whats the point of banning them!
Old 27th April 2012, 16:03   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
One source says tints have been banned totally, which IMO may not be accurate.
Rediff and other sources say SC has asked state governments to frame guidelines for the use of tints. So will it now be left to the whims and fancies of individual state governments?
Banning tints beyond permissible limits is like . They are illegal to begin with if they are above limits, whats the point of banning them!
As usual media makes its own assumptions.
All SC is saying, make sure that the law is followed.
The law is Motor Vehicles act.
SC is the Judicial arm of the govt, not the legistlature. MVA is central govt act. So central govt has to frame the law, then it has to go through parliament, only then tints can be banned.

Remember, HC stuck down Delhi police interpretation that all tints are banned. They said, go with the MVA
Old 27th April 2012, 16:10   #164
Team-BHP Support

Yes its not totally banned, SC has asked State Govt to enforce the existing rules. Now the fun will be the implementation part, in short the sticker guys will make lot of money.

Business Line : Industry & Economy News : Apex court bans use of tinted glass beyond permissible limits

Quote:
NEW DELHI, APRIL 27:
The Supreme Court today banned the use of tinted glass, restricting visions beyond permissible limit as fixed under the Motor Vehicles Act, in vehicles.

A Bench headed by the Chief Justice, Mr S.H. Kapadia, however, made it clear that tinted glass can be used in vehicles of government officials for security purposes and asked the State Governments to frame guidelines regarding this.

The Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, say the glasses of windscreen and rear windows of vehicles should have a visual light transmission of 70 per cent and for side windows it should be at least 50 per cent.

The court passed the order on a plea seeking complete ban on use of dark films on car windows, including the vehicles used by VVIPs, alleging that many crimes in cities were committed by people using such cars with tinted windows.

The petitioner, Avishek Goenka, had contended that he had 25 RTI query replies from various police stations to back his claim that many crimes, including sexual assault on women, were committed by offenders who used cars with tinted glasses to evade public gaze and conceal their identity.
EDIT: Now the personal challenge is how am i going to figure out what mine was? Dont remember what CR i have used in Swift???

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th April 2012 at 16:14.
Old 27th April 2012, 16:14   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
had just got 20 VLT films installed in my new car... Will have to get them changed.
Honestly speaking 20% VLT films were always illegal. So nothing changes for you on that front. Also aren't you finding the visibility an issue now? 20% VLT would really take a toll on the visibility specially during night and rains.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks