Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 12:12   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post

I am going to wait and watch for some time before removing the tints - will ground the new car with expensive 3M films and use the older one for a while.
For some of us with only one mode of transport, even though the rule seems to be ridiculous which it is, we should abide by it. Afterall peace of mind is so much better than being at our nerves end looking out for police checks while driving, this considering the fact that traffic and indisciplined car drivers already fray our nerves in the city.

Yes, the car interiors will be hotter than ever and yes we cant leave any expensive things for everyones eyes inside anymore, but not getting a blotch in your car records even for 100 bucks is priceless.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:17   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Since they want me to remove my sun tints I will now put in mirrored glass on my side windows. Letc if they can remove mirrored glass too.... Idiotic morons!!!
Old 16th May 2012, 12:20   #1638
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is like Kennedy - Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
In India, the middle class has a permanent yoke on it, it seems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Please read section 24 of the SC ruling

As a professor in my college used to say - "First obey the command. Then make your demand"

Rajan
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 12:29   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is like Kennedy - Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
Cannot say I agree with that fully. Being on the right side of the law, gives me a better stance to question it.

But that is just me, I guess.
Rajan
Old 16th May 2012, 12:42   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Fellow BHP-ians in Bangalore,

I am trying to figure out how cops can check cars for films in peak hour traffic when the roads are already choc-a-block across Bangalore between 830 and 10AM.. If they resort to stopping cars and checking films, it will only worsen the traffic scene... I would assume most of these drives will happen after peak hours or on the ring roads / airport road where there is enough room to stop vehicles or over the weekends.
I have seen a traffic constable with a digicam taking pictures of traffic signal violators. In all probability, during peak hours, they might resort to taking pictures of cars with black tints & send them challans & off peak hours, erect barricades allowing single lane traffic so that they can check each & every vehicle. Hope I am not giving the traffic police any ideas .

Whats to say, if they resort to taking pictures & we get a challan eventhough the films are removed, can we challenge the challan? I have received challans for no fault of mine such as not wearing seat belts, jumping signals etc when there has been no such instances, but I paid up simply because there was no option to challenge, its simply their word against mine, no photographic evidence you see (going to court is not an option simply because I don't have the time nor resources).

We will have to wait & watch.
Old 16th May 2012, 13:04   #1641
BHPian

This is going to be a win-win situation for Cops/Govt. and Sun Film manufacturers. Sun film manufacturers will defently go to court and take a stay order on this ban in the near future. Till then, from May 19th Cops are going to get 'fine' from aam aadmi. By the time when most of the law abidance citizens removed the sun films from their vehicles, the stay order will come and soon we will re-install the sun films.
Good cash for Sun film manufacturers as well as cops. Thanks to the person who take this petition to SC.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 16th May 2012 at 13:08.
Old 16th May 2012, 13:15   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
There are 2 kinds of VLT meters

This
Attachment 927566

and this
Attachment 927567

The first one has a built in light source and should read 100% with no glass in the slot. When you put the side window in the slot, the light passes through the glass and gives the VLT reading of the glass. The problem is, this cannot be used for windsheild measurement, as there is no open edge.

The second one uses an external light source and is suitable for both windows and windshields.

Rajan

It was the first one. Side window slot type.
Old 16th May 2012, 13:16   #1643
BHPian

Disposal of sun films becomes a burning issue - Bangalore - DNA

Another issue related to sun films. Has the supreme court given any ruling on this? Environmental protection is not in supreme court's purview I guess.

Last edited by bigwheelz : 16th May 2012 at 13:17. Reason: spell check
bigwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 13:20   #1644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
I was going through the Supreme court Judgement and found one thing which was peculiar it is mentioned "black film". This made me wonder that the tint(which has been removed) on my city was sort of green.
So is this ruling also applicable to people who have tint on any other color than black ?
One of my friends asked the same question the other day. "Will the remove my tint if I have Pink Shades on?" Hilarious but quite a possible situation since the SC ruling is so idiotic. Anything is possible now
Old 16th May 2012, 13:26   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a petition flying around in FB started by someone in Noida, saw Shankar Balans name there I am guess you are the same person with the Yeti

Mods: Posting this petition link here, incase its not allowed as I didnt find it in the rules, please delete Online Petition Gathers heat
Old 16th May 2012, 13:46   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
One of my friends asked the same question the other day. "Will the remove my tint if I have Pink Shades on?" Hilarious but quite a possible situation since the SC ruling is so idiotic. Anything is possible now
Another option would be get them tinted from the Dealer from who you purchased the car. Will that be permissible ?
Old 16th May 2012, 13:48   #1647
Senior - BHPian

So if I dont put sunfilms on my car windows, who is going to check what goes on inside every car? Only prospective thiefs. And what would they gain by reporting any possible crime? They will only see what we are wearing or the mess that is piled up on the rear seat.

Quote:
As a professor in my college used to say - "First obey the command. Then make your demand"
Good quote to put in someone's signature. Thats about it. I dont think what your professor said is necessarily the only way to go about it. If the command does not make sense, in a democracy we are allowed to question it as it impacts us in terms of effort and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
yes, all taken for granted. they will make the rules, and we have to follow

Quote:
Cannot say I agree with that fully. Being on the right side of the law, gives me a better stance to question it.
By right side of law, do you intend to say thats because you dont have sunfilm on your car windows? Or something else? I am a bit lost here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Till now I dont see anything on this happening in Pune. Has anyone came across police stopping in Pune for tints?
One drive conducted at Univ chowk for a couple of days by some grumbling cops. Some cops were at HJW the week before reportedly checking tint visibility. Nothing reported from elsewhere yet.

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th May 2012 at 13:50.
Old 16th May 2012, 14:34   #1648
BHPian

Got the sides/rear films removed from my Punto @ 3M car care this afternoon. I left the ICECOOL Shield on the front windshield as its almost transparent except for the greenish tint. Am hoping the cops don't notice this, cannot really tell from a distance!

The sides and the rear were Llumar films that were 2 years old. Unfortunately, they left a ton of glue on the glasses after the films came off so it took longer than expected to clean them, I am sure I would not have been able to get rid of all that glue by myself! Looks like the defogger on the rear windshield took some damage from the sub standard films too, 4 strips of defogger lines bottom up fail to heat the glass anymore!

The guys at 3M took every possible care while working on the rear windshield and I know they did their best, so no complaints!
Old 16th May 2012, 14:36   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

Good quote to put in someone's signature. Thats about it. I dont think what your professor said is necessarily the only way to go about it. If the command does not make sense, in a democracy we are allowed to question it as it impacts us in terms of effort and money.
That was in a lighter vein. Guess you missed the smiley. BTW, that professor was our NCC captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

By right side of law, do you intend to say thats because you dont have sunfilm on your car windows? Or something else? I am a bit lost here.
By right side of the law - I mean adhering to it. I removed the Sun film in my car on the 4th of May, the day the SC ruling came into force. I am in Bangalore and did not avail of the grace period that was announced. Post this, I have requested the following details from various authorities:

From BTP -
1. Plans to remove films in Police vehicles, buses and public vehicles
2. Plans for disposal of the non-biodegrable waste film

From manufacturers-
3. Requested RTO approval documents from a few sun film companies under RTI
4. Requested test and result related documents from the said film manufacturers
5. Requested OEM VLT data from major car manufacturers and Asahi (They supply 77% OEM glasses)

From Central Government:
6. Requested implementation process plan from Home ministry, as the ruling applies to the entire country. How would they implement it in remote parts?
7. Wrote to Mr.Nitin Ramesh Gokarn, Joint Secretary (T&A), Ministry of Road Transport & Highways asking for clarification on CMV rule 100(2)

I am sure I could have done none of the above, if I did not get rid of the sun films in my car, to start with. That my friend, in my POV, is being on the right side of the law.

Just my POV. No offense meant to anyone in particular.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 14:41   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By right side of the law - I mean adhering to it. I removed the Sun film in my car on the 4th of May, the day the SC ruling came into force.
No worries dude. Some of us (read me) are yet to arrive at such a decision. To each our own. I was just hoping somebody does not interpret that as you being part of the legal fraternity. Which is not wrong either, but better to clarify!

By the way, if anyone has seen the local newspapers in Pune, another campaign is gaining steam to get all consumers to return extra domestic gas cylinders. we will now be forced to maintain a single gas connection per house. Apparently this is the reason for gas cylinder shortage. Will they be able to guarantee delivery of a refill within 2 days?

Now we need to look at getting a gas pipeline for our society

sunfilms, cooking gas, what next?! its becoming a pain to live here

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th May 2012 at 14:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks