Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 14:49   #1651
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Just wondering if there is a lobby behind this fiasco. What would they gain? I mean why the implementation now if the law always existed?
Old 16th May 2012, 14:57   #1652
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

UPDATE: Went from dwarka sector-1 to vikaspuri, and then from vikapuri to B-1 janakpuri, then back to dwarka, again no cop activity on whole route regarding films .

OT- My 100th post

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 16th May 2012 at 14:58.
Old 16th May 2012, 15:05   #1653
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be some confusion. Is Bangalore police not part of Karnataka police, i thought May 19th was the deadline. Here is the news

Karnataka Police orders removal of sun films from vehicles by May 31 - The Times of India
Old 16th May 2012, 15:08   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
This is going to be a win-win situation for Cops/Govt. and Sun Film manufacturers.
Good cash for Sun film manufacturers as well as cops. Thanks to the person who take this petition to SC.
There are many reasons for using lighter film but all that arguments are put on hold with the SC diktat and the police are gleefully going about implementing it quite mindlessly too.

Someone in FB said something about India not being a Banana republic, but the way rules are made, implemented and stayed by the same court makes us wonder. At the receiving end always is the common law abiding motorist. The Rogues who rule us get away with blue murder.

Go DIY to remove the film. Use a heat gun or a hair dryer to heat up a small end of the film, lift it with a blade and peel it off slowly. Once removed, use the same plastic to dab off the gum - if possible. Use a 20% solution of Isopropyl alcohol:water to remove remaining adhesive . A little liquid soap added to the solution will make the job easier. Be very careful with the rear defoggers to avoid lifting the circuit. The job is simple and may take about half an hour.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 15:54   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Saw an innovative way of removing the films to some extent and still trying to not get noticed. An Zen driving into our company parking lot had rear door windows and quartet glass void of sunfilms.

However the windshield (near transparent ones), driver and passenger windows has them still on with the front windows rolled down. It was as if all the windows were void of the films while looking from the side angle even though the boot glass had light tints.

This he said may work till the whole issue calms down and then he can install the correct ones on the now clear glasses. May not impress all but must say such extreme situations have already spawned some innovative solutions.

Last edited by girishglg : 16th May 2012 at 15:56.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 16:10   #1656
BHPian

Just called Metro Ford in Bangalore. They are charging 500 Rs to remove it from my figo. I think every one is trying to make as much money as possible. I think I will go to 3M in HSR instead as its closer and 50 rs less. Just saying.
Old 16th May 2012, 16:49   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Just called Metro Ford in Bangalore. They are charging 500 Rs to remove it from my figo. I think every one is trying to make as much money as possible. I think I will go to 3M in HSR instead as its closer and 50 rs less. Just saying.
3M HSR layout, Bangalore is not removing sun films in their outlet from today. Went there today, but they declined to remove the film. So had been to RNS motors to remove it.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:23   #1658
BHPian

Whitefield Honda is charging Rs.600/- to get the sun films removed. I have booked an appointment this Saturday morning.
I know there will be last minute rush, but can't go anytime before that :(
Has anybody got their job done at Whitefield Honda dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prskumar View Post
3M HSR layout, Bangalore is not removing sun films in their outlet from today. Went there today, but they declined to remove the film. So had been to RNS motors to remove it.
Any reason why they decline to do the job?
I had called them yesterday and was told the job can be done anytime particularly on weekdays and it will cost Rs.450/-. They usually not entertain such tiny jobs on weekends

Last edited by manson : 16th May 2012 at 20:40. Reason: Kindly use Edit button to merge posts whilst posting within twenty minutes from the first post.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:32   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Any reason why they decline to do the job?
I had called them yesterday and was told the job can be done anytime particularly on weekdays and it will cost Rs.450/-. They usually not entertain such tiny jobs on weekends
They have received instruction from their head office it seems. There were complaints of rear defogger getting damaged while removing the film and hence they have stopped this from today. This is what they told to me. When I went there were no cars for work and the guys were sitting and relaxing. I requested them to remove only the side windows, but they said sorry.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:37   #1660
BHPian

If this is the law why does not Delhi Police follow it themselves.

See DTP's statement on 12th May and their reply on a 14th May picture posted by facebook user on DTP facebook page.

DTP's post - 12th May on Facebook:

Name:  Picture 2.1.png
Views: 1281
Size:  59.7 KB

Reply to a picture posted on 14th May by a facebook user:

Name:  Picture 2.2.png
Views: 1309
Size:  274.0 KB

Source:

Delhi Traffic Police | Facebook

Photos/Videos of Delhi Traffic Police | Facebook
neeld is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 18:15   #1661
Senior - BHPian

neel, sadly no car with beacon will be stopped, as usual this rule is specifically for commoners! however when they use the excuse of having these films for "security" reasons i wonder we commoners dont have the privilege of security??

meanwhile i wonder what will be the state of dealers whose prime business is sunfilms.
Old 16th May 2012, 18:19   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
This is going to be a win-win situation for Cops/Govt. and Sun Film manufacturers. Good cash for Sun film manufacturers as well as cops. Thanks to the person who take this petition to SC.
This is exactly what I am thinking since last few days.

This is definitely a money making venture for Traffic Police, Sunfilms Manufacturers & other people who remove Sunfilms from your Car.

Traffic Police will make money everytime they catch a offender (Car owner with Sunfilm) & meet their financial targets.

Sunfilms Manuacturers will see temporary fall in Sales & pile-up of Stocks, but they know for sure that maximum 6 months down the line everyone will forget everything & people will start applying Sunfilms (though light shades) again. Thus their products will be in demand again & I am sure they will increase prices at that time.

For people who remove Sunfilms from your Car this is a temporary period where Car Owners will pay them anything between Rs. 250 to 500 to remove Sunfilms. Even if they remove Sunfilms from 10 Cars per day, it is nothing short of Rs. 3,000 per day. These people will once again be in demand when Car Owners will start re-applying Sunfilms.

The person who filed the case in Supreme Court is happy & getting all the attention & limelight.

Thus all the parties involved here are happy making fame & money.

The only sufferer is common man (Car owner here) who like a honest tax paying citizen abide to law as & when it is changed. First he will pay the fine & will get the Sunfilms removed from his Car & later after 6 months purchase them again at higher rates to put then again on the car. In the mean time will be roasted & baked in his car & get frustrated.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 18:53   #1663
BHPian

I agree that people associated with the Sunfilm business have a win-win situation. Talk about making hay when the sun is shining.

Having said that, "most" of the commoner car owners like me have enjoyed their "effectively illegal" sunfilms for some time now. Lets just consider this as a step to fall in line with the law. Although I hope the enforcement would be across the line.

I also wonder if this ban will force car buyers to push strong & efficient A.C. up the requirements list while buying a new car? Till now the performance of an average A.C. could have been bumped by fixing 35% sunfilm or so. Not anymore.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 16th May 2012 at 18:55.
Old 16th May 2012, 19:34   #1664
Distinguished - BHPian

Accessories dealers (including accessories wings of A.S.S) seem to be having regular business. Their interpretation is that 70/50 film is allowed, and they are installing this film on many cars.
Old 16th May 2012, 19:42   #1665
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick
Just saw a petition flying around in FB started by someone in Noida, saw Shankar Balans name there I am guess you are the same person with the Yeti

Mods: Posting this petition link here, incase its not allowed as I didnt find it in the rules, please delete Online Petition Gathers heat
Yes I found the link to the petition on tbhp and followed it to FB and signed!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks