Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 10:23   #1756
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Never heard of anyone stopped till now. I hope they will pay mere lip service to this order, tear a few films and challan the drivers; and that will be that.
I haven't been stopped yet, But CTP's Facebook page was updated yesterday in the evening advising us to remove the Sun films. Whether this will become like the helmet episode remains to be seen.
Old 18th May 2012, 10:42   #1757
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Its really a good news that BTP have decided to extend the deadline till June 5.
Does anyone has the information how the conditions are in Mysore, Ooty, Gokarna as I was planning to visit these places over the next few weekends.
Old 18th May 2012, 10:43   #1758
Distinguished - BHPian

Moderator Note: Please stay on topic. Agreed it's a topic that is generating a lot of heat (literally) but the Supreme Court order needs to be respected. Let's not turn this into another what's-wrong-with-India thread. Thanks!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 10:45   #1759
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Agreed.
Apologies for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Moderator Note: Please stay on topic. Agreed it's a topic that is generating a lot of heat (literally) but the Supreme Court order needs to be respected. Let's not turn this into another what's-wrong-with-India thread. Thanks!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 10:52   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teky View Post
I haven't been stopped yet, But CTP's Facebook page was updated yesterday in the evening advising us to remove the Sun films. Whether this will become like the helmet episode remains to be seen.
I am sure it will. They are making the right noises, is my guess. Keep your car at home for a while and watch. Remove the film only when it becomes absolutely inevitable.
Old 18th May 2012, 10:54   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
Does anyone has the information how the conditions are in Mysore, Ooty, Gokarna as I was planning to visit these places over the next few weekends.

Visited Mysore last weekend, and there were no signs of the traffic police checking cars for Sun Film. Saw many cars plying on the roads with their sun films intact.
a*ed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 11:12   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Clearer? I think it's stained with lack of facts, understanding and objective. By this logic, I can interpret any law to read anything!
This is what the SC ruling is for: to prevent everyone from interpreting the law as they see it. If the law is faulty, you cannot blame the SC for clarifying. Till now it hasnt been enforced. Suddenly very strict deadline has been given for the enforcement. Thats what is stinging us the most.

SC could have given a saner deadline or options. But it is the law which put VLT at 70% permissible levels which needs to be modified.

All said, i myself am very disappointed at the way tinted glasses are being blamed for the crime and hence removed instead of the law enforcers cracking down on the real reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
On a separate note I took pictures of my car's film, which is a V-kool 70% VLT and its on a glass which says transparency 70% MIN.

Look at the two pictures and tell me, do you think this should be illegal?
SLK,

Even my husband's car has similar Llumar films which cost us 12k. He ripped them off last weekend complying with the law. I have much darker tints and i didnt, yet

How you comply with the law is totally your decision.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:16   #1763
BHPian

The statement from Bangalore Police to extend the deadline till June 5th, may give some respite to Bangalorians who are still driving with sunfilms, by June monsoon will come and days will be cloudy, so it will not pinch that much if someone drives without films:
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 11:16   #1764
BHPian

Time for Calls

I have a feeling that we, bhpians, can do our bit in correcting the interpretation of the judgement.

We all use our contacts in case of exegencies to extract ourselves from tricky situations. I am talking about the persons in authority. Believe we should make a collect call to them and make them understand that the judgement is applicable to "all motor vehicles" and NOT specific to private cars, which are currently being targeted. In that way, all Volvo's, tempo travellers, long distance buses will come within the preview of judgement.

Another way of using our forum would be to get in touch with media contacts and let me know the correct interpretation of the judgement and push for a publication in their newspapers. Frankly, its only the software guys that might have access to forums like us, but if it is printed in any print media, correct interpretation can move very fast and targeting only private cars can be reduced.

What do you say guys. Time for collect calls now !
lambuhere1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 11:21   #1765
BANNED

Re: Time for Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Another way of using our forum would be to get in touch with media contacts and let me know the correct interpretation of the judgement and push for a publication in their newspapers. Frankly, its only the software guys that might have access to forums like us, but if it is printed in any print media, correct interpretation can move very fast and targeting only private cars can be reduced.
Two points:

1. The exact text is available from a link (I think two actually) on this thread.

2. Exact interpretation is not up to the police, but the courts! So that may take some time.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:23   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Removed all the sunfilms from my car today. Car feels much brighter and Swift backseat looks so spacious now

I did not notice any difference in the cabin temperature, AC was running with usual settings and cooling efficiency was same.(But yet to drive in hot sun to experience it fully)

Hoping that Bangalore weather stays like this
Old 18th May 2012, 11:32   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
This is what the SC ruling is for: to prevent everyone from interpreting the law as they see it. If the law is faulty, you cannot blame the SC for clarifying. Till now it hasnt been enforced. Suddenly very strict deadline has been given for the enforcement. Thats what is stinging us the most.
Not really, when the law is faulty, the courts can and should refer this to the Parliament for repairing / re-aligning the law as per the current situation. Parliament can re-look at the law, make the necessary amendments and pass a clear and updated law. The courts cannot just keep interpreting ancient and archaic laws and clarifying it. And especially in this case, the interpretation has caused more harm to each citizen which itself is not why we made laws in the first place!

I am more worried about this since, as stated in an earlier post, the wife and I are both allergic to sun and now it looks like we'll have to either buy those stick-on shades or put curtains in our cars if we want to go for our long-distance drives. :(
Old 18th May 2012, 11:42   #1768
BHPian

Here is what BTP has updated -
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-untitled.jpg  

asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 11:44   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Not really, when the law is faulty, the courts can and should refer this to the Parliament for repairing / re-aligning the law as per the current situation. Parliament can re-look at the law, make the necessary amendments and pass a clear and updated law. The courts cannot just keep interpreting ancient and archaic laws and clarifying it. And especially in this case, the interpretation has caused more harm to each citizen which itself is not why we made laws in the first place!
Given the years it takes to get a simple judgement, i wouldnt hold my breath for such things to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I am more worried about this since, as stated in an earlier post, the wife and I are both allergic to sun and now it looks like we'll have to either buy those stick-on shades or put curtains in our cars if we want to go for our long-distance drives. :(
I used to be allergic to sun few years ago but not any more. Opted for ayurvedic treatment. I am going OT.

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th May 2012 at 13:11. Reason: As requested. Please think before posting. Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 12:09   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Please could you put up the excerpt here from the BTP FB page?
Too lazy to check if anyone has already answered your query...but here is the quote from BTP Facebook page

"Bangalore Traffic Police
PRESS NOTE

The Hon’ble Supreme Court of India in Writ Petition No: 265/2011 has prohibited the use of black films of any Visual Light Transmission or any other materials upon the safety glasses, wind screen (Front and Rear) and side glasses of all the vehicles throughout the country. Further, the Hon’ble Supreme Court has directed Police to ensure compliance with this direction. The direction contained in this judgment is operative and enforceable with effect from 04-05-2012.
In view of the above, vehicle owners and drivers of all the classes of vehicles are hereby requested to remove black films or any other tinted materials upon the wind screens (Front and Rear) and side glasses of their vehicles. Initially 15 days time till 19th May, 2012 was given for all vehicle owners to remove the black films from the vehicles. Since many citizens and other organizations are seeking more time for removal of black films, the deadline is extended up to 5th June, 2012. All vehicle owners are once again requested to remove the black films and comply with the orders of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India on or before 05th June, 2012. "
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed