Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 00:33   #1831
BHPian

Police were stopping cars on the Udupi-Manipal road today and stripping the films off. I had 3Ms SP70 on my car side and rear. Front was clean. Three policemen couldn't figure out that my car had sunfilms and waved me off!
Old 19th May 2012, 00:41   #1832
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
as the CMV rule does not provide for any after market alteration of VLT by the owners of the automobiles.
The motor vehicles does not mention anything about seat covers.
Or alteration of stereo system.
Or tire of a different brand

It does not also mention anywhere about the legality of a nimbu under the car.
Or a ganesh on the dashboard.

Nor does it say anything about wearing sunglasses and driving.

I do not see any judgements regarding that.

You may like to try make the country a nanny state for yourself. You are most welcome. There are lots of people with such agenda who are asking for your votes.

However, there are a lot of us who do not like it, and would like to have some logic and justification in every law that was passed.
Britishers made a lot of laws before independence. God forbid if the entire country thought like you!!

I am glad people here are questioning the law. It shows that except some, most people know what is the importance of debate in a democracy
tsk1979 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 02:10   #1833
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The motor vehicles does not mention anything about seat covers.
Or alteration of stereo system.
Or tire of a different brand

It does not also mention anywhere about the legality of a nimbu under the car.
Or a ganesh on the dashboard.

Nor does it say anything about wearing sunglasses and driving.

I do not see any judgements regarding that.
I didn't want to post this but the counter argument could be, as there are no PILs filed regarding seat covers, tyres etc there are no judgements.

Quote:
However, there are a lot of us who do not like it, and would like to have some logic and justification in every law that was passed. Britishers made a lot of laws before independence. God forbid if the entire country thought like you!!

I am glad people here are questioning the law. It shows that except some, most people know what is the importance of debate in a democracy
Nothing wrong with people questioning the law. But while we are at it there is no good reason for not following the existing law.

As per the SC order, sunfilms of any transparency are not allowed under rule 100. So most of us are on the wrong side of the law as it is. Even if we consider that rule 100 allows 70-50 Sunfilms, people who have installed so called "RTO approved" 70-50 sunfilms on top of already 70-75% tinted glasses would still continue to be on the wrong side of the law.

So I think removing the sunfilms or grounding the car is the logical step at this point in time as we continue to question the law and find ways to correct it, if need be.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 19th May 2012 at 02:11.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 04:40   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Request to MODS: If you feel this is completely OT or inappropriate, please delete it. I am not trying to blame anyone or point fingers at anyone. Just some soul searching, thats all.

I have done my part for this country, right? Afterall, I have a bumper sticker that says "Proud to be an Indian", shouldn't that suffice?

Rajan
OT: The best post I've ever read on team-bhp.com , the mentality of our people beautifully translated into words.
The ruling has been given, should'nt we be following it instead of debating it??
Old 19th May 2012, 07:24   #1835
BHPian

Last eve, on my way home from JP Nagar to Jayanagar, saw a cop taking pictures! not really sure for what. However did see a lot of removed films lying on the curb near junctions and signals.

This is also turning out to be a nightmare with the discarded film (now plastic) thrown all over town

It will be project DIY film removal today.
Old 19th May 2012, 08:20   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
The motor vehicles does not mention anything about seat covers.Or alteration of stereo system.Or tire of a different brand

I am in total agreement with you. I am also questioning the law. The factor that differentiates glasses in the car as against the other components / accessories you have mentioned is very simple. CMV defines the specifications and standards for the glasses. It does not for the others, with the exception of tyres. It does specify standards for tyres, but does not talk about brands. It does not talk about brands for the glasses either.

My point is - I do not see a healthy debate here about the validity of the law in a tropical country or suggesstions and discussions about how to go about getting the law modified. The reasons most people quote for the need of sun control films are trivial. Strangely, no one here is even talking about the harm UVA rays can cause and how sun control film can help prevent that.

I am in disagreement with calling the SC and the Judges names. It is not about their ruling. It is about the applicability of CMV and the need to get it modified.

I believe our energies are better spent discussing and finding a way to get the law amended, rather than ridicule the SC Judges. Right or wrong, the ruling has been made and it is our responsibilty to follow the rule, as law abiding citizen. This is a forum that promotes responsible ownership and use of an automobile on public roads. Some of us chose to remove the film, some of us chose to ground the car, some of us chose to take our chances with the law enforcers.

I see a lot of posts hoping someone will file a counter PIL. I am yet to see a single post volunteering to be that someone. Any amount of discussion here is not going to change the law. It is going to take another Avishek Goenka to do that.

Thanks,

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 19th May 2012 at 08:26.
Old 19th May 2012, 08:33   #1837
Senior - BHPian

What about window tints on public transport vehicles ( intra city and intercity buses) ?

AC coaches on all IR trains have very dark tints . What about these ?Hope they arent planning to stop trains at level crossings

Last edited by speedsatya : 19th May 2012 at 08:37.
Old 19th May 2012, 09:01   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
What about window tints on public transport vehicles ( intra city and intercity buses) ?

AC coaches on all IR trains have very dark tints . What about these ?Hope they arent planning to stop trains at level crossings
Tints from Buses should be removed as they are covered under RTO, trains are not

But I dont know what they will call as Manufactured fitted glass as most Bus bodies are built outside and only chasis are bought.
Old 19th May 2012, 09:12   #1839
BHPian

There is news flash on Samaya TV and TV 9 about the sun film removal deadline being extended to June 5.

Not able to verify this on BTP website or FB. Anyone seen this and able to confirm it.

I was planning to do a DIY today, if deadline is extended then will wait for some more time.
Old 19th May 2012, 09:15   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
There is news flash on Samaya TV and TV 9 about the sun film removal deadline being extended to June 5.
Not able to verify this on BTP website or FB. Anyone seen this and able to confirm it.
It is extended to 5th of June. The news was confirmed yesterday itself.

Sun films: Deadline up to June 5 - South India - Bangalore - ibnlive
The Hindu : NATIONAL / KARNATAKA : Sun film removal deadline extended till June 5
Deadline to remove sun films extended to June 5
Sun films: Deadline up to June 5 | Bangalore | | The New Indian Express
Old 19th May 2012, 09:25   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Strangely, no one here is even talking about the harm UVA rays can cause and how sun control film can help prevent that.
The OEM manufactured glass that we get in cars is already treated for UV Protection. That's why no one is talking about UV rays. We don't need sun-films to prevent UV rays entering into the car.
Old 19th May 2012, 09:27   #1842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Last eve, on my way home from JP Nagar to Jayanagar, saw a cop taking pictures! not really sure for what. However did see a lot of removed films lying on the curb near junctions and signals.

This is also turning out to be a nightmare with the discarded film (now plastic) thrown all over town

It will be project DIY film removal today.
As per my information BTP has extended the deadline for removal of sunfilms till June 5.
One of my close friend took the delivery of his new Ford Figo today and the free accessories list contained sunfilms, but when i asked the SE to replace it with something else as its banned he told me with a big smile "sir you come after everything gets cooled and we will fix them".

Still holding on to my then RTO approved 3Ms and hoping something good will turn up.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:12   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
The OEM manufactured glass that we get in cars is already treated for UV Protection. That's why no one is talking about UV rays. We don't need sun-films to prevent UV rays entering into the car.
How I wish this was true

Rajan
Old 19th May 2012, 10:33   #1844
Team-BHP Support

I do not see any such announcement/deadline in Mumbai at least.
Is it there already or have I missed something?
Old 19th May 2012, 10:50   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I do not see any such announcement/deadline in Mumbai at least.
Is it there already or have I missed something?
These are annoucements/ deadlines issued by Local RTO/ police authorities to give time to people for removal of tints for eg. Delhi enforced it immediately, some gave time and other states have no reaction.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks