Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 22:54   #1861
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

^^Hold on to it till removal becomes inevitable. My gut feel is it will be back to business as usual within two months maximum. Mothball your car if necessary.

I am have to visit MSM tomorrow for insurance renewal and then run some errands till the afternoon. As soon I return home, the covers will go on and the car will sit tight for two weeks. I will watch what happens.

Last edited by Gansan : 19th May 2012 at 23:00.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:10   #1862
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
marlon - wait till 20th may. I am sure every vehicle will be devoid of sun film. It is always for the good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^Hold on to it till removal becomes inevitable. My gut feel is it will be back to business as usual within two months maximum. Mothball your car if necessary.

I am have to visit MSM tomorrow for insurance renewal and then run some errands till the afternoon. As soon I return home, the covers will go on and the car will sit tight for two weeks. I will watch what happens.
I got my tints removed yesterday at Privilege Moto Mall. Even if the rule is relaxed and 50% VLT is enforced - I would have been on the wrong side of the law. Hence didnt wait it out for the last moment.

While I was at Privilege - heard many guys coming in for removing their dark films and installing lighter ones - from 3M. Sunfilm companies are making huge profits for sure. Removing the film costed 500. They are qouting 600 to customers, but made it 500 since I picked up some other stuff as well.

Still, atleast 75% of vehicles in Chennai seem to be having sunfilms installed on their cars.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:26   #1863
Senior - BHPian

I don't think cops in Mumbai are taking a view that sun films have to be removed , they are fine as long as the VLT is within norms. Yesterday night I was stopped at a Naka at Wadala ( usual checks for drunken driving) , they didn't bother about my tints ( which are within VLT regulations). For good measure , I switched on the cabin lights so that there was clear visibility.
I guess car owners can try this trick pre-emptively, it at least gives a feeling of enhanced transparency to the person standing outside.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:33   #1864
Senior - BHPian

Highty and mighty care a hoot for law of this land. In fact, from now on it will be a tool to show off that you are rich and mighty by sporting darkest tints on your car. Instead of courts, if this dictat is issued by Maoists or Al Queda, it would be followed forthwith. And the rich and mighty would be first to peel the film off their car-glasses.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 12:50   #1865
Zed
BHPian

One can only assume that there is statistical evidence that supports this whole sun-film exercise and that motorist will be safer after this change.
What I fail to understand is what stops our official machinery from throwing its weight around more pressing issues related to motorist and travelling public. With due respect to his intentions the fb post by the senior official, IMHO, is a classic case of misplaced priorities. Im not sure how things have changed in our Metros in the past 2 years since ive left Indian shores, but to stop a police vehicle and take action for sporting sun film and a beacon, when most police vehicles are some of the worst offenders of traffic safety, is a classic case in point. Can our enforcing agencies not extend the whole leading by example scenario beyond sun-films ? And if they really intend to do so - the first step ought to be investing time and resources to train their men & women rather than expecting changes to occur on account of pressure from the top or from the media.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:56   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Finally removed Sunfilm from Both Cars. 3M film or my honda city was very easy, it did not leave any trace of gum anywhere. Lumar installed in my Santro, it was very hard to remove even with WD-40, diesel.. removed it with lot of effort using blade, dont know what kind of gum Lumar uses.

Have left the front sunfilm on my city as i feel its almost transperent, will wait for 1st fine to remove it, if police identify. Anyways bangalore still have time till Jun 5th.
Old 20th May 2012, 13:00   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
How do you spot a persons face through a helmet? I could always hide my face behind a helmet, why not ban that as well?
The law only makes certain directives and it isn't possible for them to look into every possible alternative - it specifically reads "sun films" and not "car accessories". You could drive a car while wearing a helmet, or you can wear a cap and put on some shades to look like a filmi Bollywood gunda types (or Tollywood hero types - it's a matter of perspective). The law has nothing to prevent you from doing those. I don't know what the law says about burkhas and curtains. For practicality, how about installing oversized rain guards over the windows?
Old 20th May 2012, 13:13   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Still, atleast 75% of vehicles in Chennai seem to be having sunfilms installed on their cars.
I have got a lighter shade and hence will wait for my first fine to remove the sunflims. Atleast by then the scorching chennai heat would have subsided to around 35 degrees from the current 40+ temperatues.
Old 20th May 2012, 13:15   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday Police were asking to remove the sunfilms at Koramangala near Vodafone outlet in the afternoon, they were also busy in asking few owners to raise the windows up and check whether there was sunfilm or not ? is there no uniformity on extension of the deadline.
Old 20th May 2012, 13:57   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I got my tints removed yesterday at Privilege Moto Mall. Even if the rule is relaxed and 50% VLT is enforced - I would have been on the wrong side of the law. Hence didnt wait it out for the last moment.

While I was at Privilege - heard many guys coming in for removing their dark films and installing lighter ones - from 3M. Sunfilm companies are making huge profits for sure. Removing the film costed 500. They are qouting 600 to customers, but made it 500 since I picked up some other stuff as well.

Sad to hear that CD. I saw the delivery pics of your car with sunfilms installed. Your white punto was looking beautiful with that tint. All car accessories shop owners are making huge profit on this removal of sunfilm. As you told they are removing films at a 500-600 and suggesting people to go for lighter tints. Those who dont know the new rule completely are falling into their trap. They shows the old rule and says lighter tints are allowed and charging a higher amount for them. Some of the stupid answere to our questions by save aam aadmis

http://www.facebook.com/saveaamadmi

Check the post on Friday. Please share your thoughts on their answers.
Old 20th May 2012, 14:39   #1871
BHPian

Hi,

Is any one aware if Mumbai RTO started stopping the cars for removing Sun Flims?
Old 20th May 2012, 15:23   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
http://www.facebook.com/saveaamadmi

Check the post on Friday. Please share your thoughts on their answers.
Stupid reasons. I have posted some comments. But, not optimistic that they will leave my comments there to let everyone see. By the way, as I mentioned earlier in this thread I removed my sunfilms to comply with the new rule. But, can't still digest the justifications behind this. I didn't see cops stopping people for the reason of sunfilm anywhere in Bangalore yet. As some of them have mentioned it might be happening at some areas but with low priority as of now.

Last edited by rajni : 20th May 2012 at 15:26. Reason: adding more
Old 20th May 2012, 15:54   #1873
Senior - BHPian

UV Rays - A killer just let loose in India

UV Rays - A killer just let loose in India
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 16:06   #1874
Distinguished - BHPian

When ever re-installing, you could install 70VLT on the side also. The base tint + 70 VLT will then make it close to 50 VLT.

But imagine, if the cops (at least for some time), do not allow even these re-installed light tints ? The guys who are getting light tints now are going to be hit twice :(
Old 20th May 2012, 16:08   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
I didn't see cops stopping people for the reason of sunfilm anywhere in Bangalore yet.
Rajni,

That's because the deadline has been extended to June 5 in Bangalore. Haven't you read the various posts yet ? For eg, go through the post # 1824, i think.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks